This Game Hasn't Changed Much

23 replies to this topic

#21 Lucun

• PipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

You should play the Wolverines. The LPL and AC5 quirked ones are really strong while running an XL for the extra speed (~105 KPH). You can flank by yourself, but you have to be really smart about it. I think lights are much better for flanking on their own due to their size and speed. Anyways, isn't it always to stay near the death ball rather going on your own?

Finally, I do agree that some mediums could be shrunk... these guys are a bit big.

#22 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Mediums are just a filler for CW drop decks when you don't want another light mech but have 40-55 tons for that last slot.

Unless it's a 4G, YLW/AH or the wubverine or the jumping dragon. Maybe a CDA-3M if you just have to have ECM.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostKoujo, on 02 January 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Started playing again recently after I saw the quirks mediums received. While it is a step in the right direction I still don't think it's enough. The problem IMO never was a mediums ability to put out DPS. The real problem was the fact that most mediums are as tall as heavies which makes them huge targets without the armor to defend itself with. Lights do not suffer from this and is why they have always fared so well. As an example: http://ecogamer.co.u...rison/index.php

This has always been the case since the early days. The problem really hit critical mass when matches were changed from 8 vs 8 to 12 vs 12 and the maps stayed the same size. This eliminated nearly all flanking opportunities. The only real way to play now is move in one giant death ball and trade shots with enemies face to face, something mediums are terrible at.

So there it is. I may stick around or I may not. Unless they rescale the maps or the mechs or both I don't see anything changing.

View PostThorqemada, on 02 January 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

There is still no significant niche between Lights and Heavys that Mediums can settle in...

One answer is Mobile LRM boats. That's how I play the HBK-4J, the KTOs, the Shads, the Centurions, the Griffins, and the Crows. They have the weight to cram in LRM30-40 + buttloads of ammo, and the mobility to position themselves to deliver those payloads. Since they are using LRMs, naturally they will be out of harms way, their overly large size notwithstanding. All of them have positive WLR and KDR when I play them as such.

Finally, having the Mediums do the Lurming will free up the Heavies and the Assaults to do the Brawling.

My $0.02.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 January 2015 - 10:36 PM.

#24 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

View PostKoujo, on 02 January 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Started playing again recently after I saw the quirks mediums received. While it is a step in the right direction I still don't think it's enough. The problem IMO never was a mediums ability to put out DPS. The real problem was the fact that most mediums are as tall as heavies which makes them huge targets without the armor to defend itself with. Lights do not suffer from this and is why they have always fared so well. As an example: http://ecogamer.co.u...rison/index.php

This has always been the case since the early days. The problem really hit critical mass when matches were changed from 8 vs 8 to 12 vs 12 and the maps stayed the same size. This eliminated nearly all flanking opportunities. The only real way to play now is move in one giant death ball and trade shots with enemies face to face, something mediums are terrible at.

So there it is. I may stick around or I may not. Unless they rescale the maps or the mechs or both I don't see anything changing.

The issue isnt even mech size, its map size and the ability to fire 80pts of damage every few seconds......

Imagine only being able to realistically fire off 10-20dmg every 10 seconds or so? Rather then 50-80 every 5s lol......Then your lights and mediums might actually get a chance to move and NOT melt around you. Then, lets go with 1x weapon ranges, where not every spot on the map is in range of 70% of the enemy team at all times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users