#101 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 23 January 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Love my quad uac5 + 2ML loyality crab. Did the last challenge in it, finished in 58 games. The losses were either due to getting immediately focused by the other team, or the pugs running away to suicide. Nearly every match had at least 1 kill, and plenty for 800+ damage matches.

UAC jams are not a concern for me, once they unjam, the stutter fire on target is paralyzing and is probably worse than catching the 6xuac5 dire wolf.

Truly - I've cored out a Whale that decided to stare me down and trade fire with its own UACs in a couple seconds. It's a monster.

#102 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

Hear me out on this, but I actually have a King Crab 000 Build that does high damage, has low ammo dependency, low heat, and max armor.

However, it has 6 MG's.
Don't scream, it's actually badass.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba050dc636d8151

It not only has that, but 2x A-SRM's, and 2x LPL's

Last match I played on this I got 961 damage, 3 kills, 8 assists.
People undervalue MG's in my opinion. Get this in close quarters and it can tank hits while stripping an enemy of all its weapons.

However, you need to use it towards the end/middle of a brawl. If you go in at the very beginning your DPS and style won't get much in the way of kills or damage. If you can be pacient, you can mop up the whole enemy team. The standard engine makes it tanky and due to its size, you can go a decent speed and not get left behind.

Try it out.

#103 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

Machine Guns are terrible weapons if you're relying on them to open armor. Once the armor is open, they're very effective at tearing through structure (because of the increased crit damage and chance, which increases structure damage as well.)

However, from my experience with the Crab, I'd suggest pulling armor from your arms to round off the tonnage, not your legs.

#104 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:34 AM

KGC-0000

pair off the LPL's, chain the ac2's

#105 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 13 February 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

However, from my experience with the Crab, I'd suggest pulling armor from your arms to round off the tonnage, not your legs.

He's still got more than 70 points per leg, that's plenty. I might be inclined to make that comment as well if he had cut below 65.

#106 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

I'm not sure you understand; in CW particularly, your legs are often a target before you are. Many enemies will plaster your legs to cripple you, then finish you off later when you can't effectively maneuver. Since you don't need the arm armor at all (you're protecting three machine guns, remember,) increasing your vulnerability to legging doesn't make sense.

#107 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 14 February 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

I'm not sure you understand; in CW particularly, your legs are often a target before you are. Many enemies will plaster your legs to cripple you, then finish you off later when you can't effectively maneuver. Since you don't need the arm armor at all (you're protecting three machine guns, remember,) increasing your vulnerability to legging doesn't make sense.

He's got plenty of armor as is. With just MGs, he could have pulled armor from the arms just as easily, yes. Still, I don't think he intended the build specifically for CW.

#108 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

CW is only the driving factor. People will target your legs; it's more important to protect them than the arms no one shoots at on the Crab.

#109 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 14 February 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

CW is only the driving factor. People will target your legs; it's more important to protect them than the arms no one shoots at on the Crab.

I don't see that outside of odd circumstances. And I've lost arms from torso twisting.

#110 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

If I am in CW in an assault, I am not rushing the base, I am laying down suppressing fire and taking damage so my faster/lighter teammates can get through will less damage.

so losing a leg is not a concern haha.

Edited by Punk Oblivion, 16 February 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#111 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

Now I don't exactly have the armor set up the way that you should run it (as the front and back values are completely different and I didn't bother modifying the stock setup for armor), but... I've found this to be a lot more effective than my 2x LB-10X, 2x LPL build with supplementary machine guns. KGC-000 - Karkinos the Crab

Longer-range than the AC-20's with faster recycle time means you can still hit hard with a nasty 2xAC10 punch. The large engine means you can torso-twist faster than with other builds, and I find myself outlasting most because I am very front-heavy with armor distribution. The most important thing though here, is positioning. If you don't fully utilize the punch of the 2 AC10s effectively and have them paired up with the LPLs, you're going to have a bad time. Their similar ranges make them valuable in a direct-fire brawl.

The machine guns are supplementary and shouldn't be used as primaries, but when you close the distance (thanks to the massive engine), they tear your opponents to ribbons. It took me a while to figure out what worked best, but the AC-10's are far more effective than the dual LB10x's.

#112 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:50 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 26 March 2015 - 12:06 AM, said:

That is almost what i had in mind for a king crab.

#113 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 26 March 2015 - 12:06 AM, said:

That's a solid build - I've got my own "Triple-O" set up as a UAC/5 Dakkacrab, but that's very similar to my "Quaddo;" I just took medium lasers and SRMs for more close-in smashing power, with LB-10X's to finish people and harass at long range. For a LPL build, I'd go with the AC/10s just like you did.

#114 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

IMO the crab is really defined by the geometry. Arm-based heavy ballistics with slow twisting means it has to face the target. You can corner peek but if you want to use the full firepower potential then you have to expose both arms, and being slow means you have to plan on staying exposed because there is no reverse gear in a 100-ton mech. Any other build is better off on some other mech

Primarily using a dual-LB10X with 4x MG, and a single LPL for zombie. Wait for enemy mechs to lose their armor then roll in.

I'm also playing with a build using 2x AC20 and 4x Streaks, but not really sure about it yet

#115 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Er, what slow twisting?

#116 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 29 March 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

IMO the crab is really defined by the geometry. Arm-based heavy ballistics with slow twisting means it has to face the target.

It won't twist so slow if you drop in a real engine. A 300 in a 100 ton mech might as well be the engine from a Geo Metro.

#117 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

I always lead charges if I'm in a King Crab. 4x uAC/5 works for outputting 900-1200 virtually guaranteed damage when moving in a team, as I have so much armor and so much DPS that I can take on 3 Clan mechs at the same time and kill all three before ending up with yellow internals. Armor must be shifted to the front - trust your teammates to cover your rear, because if they don't you're dead anyway given how slow you turn, and you need every bit of survivability you can get from staring down superior numbers.

Ballistics have the highest sustained damage per second of any weapon type, and having 4 uAC/5s also means that the nonstop cockpit shake of being shot by that makes it impossible for your target to aim. They can hit you, but they can never hit any given component specifically unless you stop firing. As IS ACs are pinpoint, as long as you can aim, you can core CTs faster than any other build in the game possibly can.

Atlases in quad SRM6 AC/20 multiple medium laser type brawler builds have a greater alphastrike, but in sustained combat their DPS is only 75% that of the KGC's even before accounting for how they also overheat more easily, and those builds also have limited damage concentration owing to SRM damage spread. uAC/5 has zero spread.

Everything is dumped into ammo since in CW matches, I rarely live long enough to get into a situation where I run out of ammo without dying first as the lead Mech, but the KGC by itself does half my total damage in most CW games. After I'm down, usually everything is left with red CTs allowing for my relatively undamaged teammates to steamroll the remaining Mechs and the majority of the second dropship wave.

It's even more extreme in public matches when the opposing team doesn't get to respawn.

This kind of approach is not viable if pugging in a situation where your teammates cannot be trusted, however. Use other assault mechs for those kinds of matches.

Edited by Hayashi, 29 March 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#118 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

n/m

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 29 March 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#119 Draconeran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMontana, USA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

I love my 4 UAC5 King Crab. It can take out most clan mechs one on one. The key is fire control and focused aim.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0804b1d7b6165c3

I setup three weapon groups to make this build work the best.
- Group one is all UACs on cycle fire. I choose my right mouse button.
- Group two is alpha strike all UACs. I choose my left mouse button.
- Group three is the large laser. I choose a side button on my 9 button mouse.
When a good target appears start with group one then use group two as you want to double tap your UACs. If you start to jam up just stop double tapping till those weapons unjam so you can maintain fire on the enemy. Use the Large laser to poke at enemies, save ammo, or sustain fire while jammed up.

This mech can easily reach 1000 damage often. See screen shot below. That was an awesome flank by my King Crab.

Posted Image

#120 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:09 AM

For CW the 4 UAC5 Crab with a Standard Engine is really the only build you need. Anything else and you are likely wasting yours and your teams time. I'd be fine with the 4 AC5 variant for those whom hate UACs. Typical brawl push out in the lead will net 600 to 1400 damage if you have decent supports.

NO XL engine if you are going for medium to close range fights. Long range you can go XL and make use of ERLL + Gauss or something like that (I don't use it that way but I know others do).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users