Founders: how are you building your prime variants?

149 replies to this topic

#21 Marlekin

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Im not into battletech as much as a lot of you. I just remember playing MW2 Mercs on a win95 pc when I could barely speak&read english and had barely any clue as to configuring a mech. Later on I played MW4, but the online community was alrdy going downhill those days. These games were awesome tho.

I took a jenner. I like the idea of the scout/spotter/assisting little mech and its vital role to your team. I'll probably build it for speed with some lasers stuck on to soften up targets, maybe take out an arm/leg.

#22 Ginoxy

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKoblenz

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Why are discussing about 3075 or higher equip. MWO will play befor the Clans attack the IS. The Timeline is 3049. Lock about some stuff (like SRM4 Streak) there are developt 3060 in the IS. So we will get only the Standart Tech 2 Stuff which was avalible 3049, no Clan-Tech, no tech 3 , no Solaris-Tech, no Exp.-Construction rules, no ComStar-Mechs.

#23 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Too early for me to say, I'll need to know what's in the game, since alot should be available until AFTER the clan invasion. Once I get into my mechlab, then I'll start monkeying about. :huh:

#24 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Atlas:

16 Double Heat Sinks
2 PPC
AC/20 w/ 4 tons of ammo
2 SRM-6 w/ 2 tons of ammo

#25 hellsfinest

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNapa, CA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Where are we getting the idea there are double heat sinks available???

#26 Hikaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

There are /some/ 'mechs that have DHS. The lore supports it, but it's not widespread. It's actually very unbalancing if Piranha gave us DHS, as DHS is arguably the pillar Clan technnology that allowed them to dominate the invasion, and essentially unlocking DHS gives everyone and every 'mech DHS.

#27 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

I'd rafrain from planning. Let's wait and see what we have in game.
The present variants may be ineffective.

#28 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostSkadi, on 27 June 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

2 Large lasers 2 Medium lasers and as many damn MRM's as i can fit.

First of all, double post, and second of all, MRMs don't come out till 3058.

#29 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

I really suspect that double heat sinks won't be available for some time. Just think of it from a balance perspective... why use weapons requiring ammunition if you can go crazy with double heat sinks?

That being said I'm going for something like this with my Atlas:

LRM 20+ extra ammo ( 2 reloads)
with Artemis IV
Gauss+ extra ammo (2 reloads)
2 Large lasers
2 medium pulse lasers
AMS
Max armor
The remaining criticals are all heatsinks

Edited by Glythe, 28 June 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#30 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostGlythe, on 28 June 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

I really suspect that double heat sinks won't be available for some time. Just think of it from a balance perspective... why use weapons requiring ammunition if you can go crazy with double heat sinks?

Double Heat sinks are on the available list, but likely on the hard to get list.

#31 nektu

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

Flamers. Loads and loads of flamers everywhere...

#32 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 28 June 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

Double Heat sinks are on the available list, but likely on the hard to get list.

I double checked the equipment list and you're right DHS are there..... but how can there be a hard to get list? Don't you buy everything with CB? Are DHS going to be insanely expensive?

#33 XTRMNTR2K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

I'm gonna go with this Atlas.

1 Gauss Rifle (w/ 2 tons of ammo)
2 PPC
1 LRM-15 (w/ 2 tons of ammo)
20 HS
15 tons of FF armor

A recipe for awesomness, if you ask me. Though I'm thinking about downsizing the LRM-15 to 10 to allow 2 more heatsinks if the machine runs too hot.

In the unlikely case this turns out to be dissatisfying, there's a whole lot of other things I can do with the Atlas. Gotta love that mech. :)

EDIT: Now if we have double heatsinks available, that will make much cooler things possible, such as:

1 Gauss Rifle (w/ 2 tons of ammo & CASE)
2 PPC
1 LRM-15 (w/ 2 tons of ammo & CASE)
AMS (w/ 1 ton of ammo)
15 DHS (30)
19 tons of FF armor

And it shouldn't even run that hot... ^_^

Edited by XTRMNTR2K, 28 June 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#34 Hayes DuSid

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

Atlas

27 HS
2x Med Las
2x Large Las
2x LRM 15 /w 3T of ammo (12 shots per launcher)

19T armour.

Jenner

10 HS
4 JJ (-1 jump jet from standard)
4x Med Las (no srm launcher from standard)
ECM

6T armour (50% more armour than standard)

Catapault

325 Engine (25% more speed)
5 JJ (+1 Jump Jet)
11 Double HS (They should be available, and even if rare, brawler Catty is just too funny)
4x Med Las
2x SRM 4
1T ammo (12 shots each launcher)

13T armour. (+3T compared to standard)

Hunchback

11 HS
10.5T armour
Gauss Rifle + 2T ammo
3x Med Las

Edited by Hayes DuSid, 28 June 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#35 Skeet89

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

View Postnektu, on 28 June 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

Flamers. Loads and loads of flamers everywhere...

No. Small Lasers.

Type: Ferret Technology Base: Inner Sphere / 3039 Ruleset: Standard (5th edition) Tonnage: 30 Cost: 4,875,715 C-bills Battle Value: 623
Equipment Mass Internal Structure: Endo Steel 1.5 Engine: 270 7.5 Type: Fusion XL Walking MP: 9 Running MP: 14 Jumping MP: 0 Heat Sinks: 10 [10] 0.0 Gyro: Standard 3.0 Cockpit: 3.0 Armor Factor: 105 7.0
Internal
Structure
Armor
Value
Head 3 9 Center Torso 10 15 Center Torso (rear) 5 L/R Torso 7/7 10/10 L/R Torso (rear) 4/4 L/R Arms 5/5 10/10 L/R Legs 7/7 14/14
Weapons and Ammo Location Crits Tons Small Laser H 1 0.5 Small Laser CT 1 0.5 Small Laser CT 1 0.5 Small Laser LT 1 0.5 Small Laser LT 1 0.5 Small Laser LT 1 0.5 Small Laser LT 1 0.5 Small Laser LT 1 0.5 Small Laser LT 1 0.5 Small Laser RT 1 0.5 Small Laser RT 1 0.5 Small Laser RT 1 0.5 Small Laser RT 1 0.5 Small Laser RT 1 0.5 Small Laser RT 1 0.5

Fast little critter who inhabits the rear arcs of heavy and assault mechs... and you can field a half dozen of them for half the price of an atlas.

#36 Hawker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but from memory, an XL engine has 10 built-in double heat sinks.

That said, I think ammo is going to be a problem especially if double armor stays put. The simple solution is to put in a like size XL engine which gives you more weight and effectively doubles your heat dissipation.

Granted they are still considering if XL engines in the side torsos will destroy the mech or not, but if you are running against an organized opponent that concentrates firepower, it won't matter anyway. 1 v 1, then yeah I consider an XL engine to be somewhat of a disadvantage.

So basically I intend to drop XLs in my mechs. Oh the Jenner and Hunch, I will probably up their movement speed, max out armor and then look at ammo, and if there is anything left, either equipment or and extra medium laser.

The Cat, well I am not too keen on that but its what I got, so again an XL engine, drop the JJs cuz I won't be using them much at all and if I need them well I already screwed up anyway. With that tonnage, max armor, up the LRMs and pack as much armor in there as I can, drop the med lasers and put in large lasers. Its fire support, might as well give it some. Also ECM would be nice.

The Atlas, gauss rifle for AC/20, XL engine if I can still fit the cannons in, one large laser in place of two mediums, and extra ammo for the LRM and SRM, and gauss or AC depending. Maybe some equipment like ECM and AMS if I can.

#37 Hayes DuSid

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

View PostHawker, on 28 June 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but from memory, an XL engine has 10 built-in double heat sinks.

That said, I think ammo is going to be a problem especially if double armor stays put. The simple solution is to put in a like size XL engine which gives you more weight and effectively doubles your heat dissipation.

Granted they are still considering if XL engines in the side torsos will destroy the mech or not, but if you are running against an organized opponent that concentrates firepower, it won't matter anyway. 1 v 1, then yeah I consider an XL engine to be somewhat of a disadvantage.

So basically I intend to drop XLs in my mechs. Oh the Jenner and Hunch, I will probably up their movement speed, max out armor and then look at ammo, and if there is anything left, either equipment or and extra medium laser.

The Cat, well I am not too keen on that but its what I got, so again an XL engine, drop the JJs cuz I won't be using them much at all and if I need them well I already screwed up anyway. With that tonnage, max armor, up the LRMs and pack as much armor in there as I can, drop the med lasers and put in large lasers. Its fire support, might as well give it some. Also ECM would be nice.

The Atlas, gauss rifle for AC/20, XL engine if I can still fit the cannons in, one large laser in place of two mediums, and extra ammo for the LRM and SRM, and gauss or AC depending. Maybe some equipment like ECM and AMS if I can.

XL engines have 3 weaknesses and the HS are not automatically double heat sinks no.
1. They take up more crits
2. They can lead to your mech shutting down if it's L and R torso's get shot out
3. They often cost more than the ENITRE rest of your mech including equipment.

Repair bills will be funny.

#38 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

Double Heat Sinks are confirmed as of Ask the Devs 1 - Answer!

And, at least on the tabletop, XL engines don't have 10 double heat sinks integral. All 'Mechs have a minimum of 10 heat sinks, single or double, but the number of heat sinks you can have integrated into the engine depends on the engine rating (i.e. its size). Higher rated engines can accommodate more sinks before you have to start allocating critical slots (1 for every single, 3 for every double). The 35 ton JR7-D Jenner has a standard 245 rating engine. It still requires 1 heat sink to be allocated critical slots. I believe it's every 25 "point" jump in rating adds 1 more sink capacity to your engine. They still take up 1 ton, regardless.

As Hayes DuSid said, they're also much more expensive (4x the cost of a regular engine of equivalent rating) and take up 6 more critical slots (3 in each side torso in addition to the 6 already in your center torso).

Also worth noting is that (with a few exceptions), heat sinks in a 'Mech must all be of the same type, single or double.

Edited by Derek Icelord, 28 June 2012 - 03:10 AM.

#39 JokerACE

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

All fusion engines (in Battletech lore) come with 10 integral heat sinks. What you get is what you pay for, SHS/DHS. The amount of heat sinks that don't have to have critical space alloted is engine rating/25. So a 300 engine (XL or SFE) can have 12 heat sinks without crit space. Which is where DHS really bump the curve. You can fit 10 DHS heat sinks in a 250 rated engine with no critical space.

#40 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

I honestly like the defaults. I like missiles so the Catapult is good. When I play a Hunchback I'll want to be the guy that can use speed to get close, punch face with AC20, then dodge counter fire. The Atlas has a good mix of weapons for sustained damage at all ranges. He has damage at long and medium ranges but still packs that AC20 for when he manages to close range.

If I change any of them it might be to try out a Guass Rifle in place of the AC20 on my Hunchback. That might be better on maps with poor cover or open stretches of vulnerable land.

View PostGinoxy, on 27 June 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Why are discussing about 3075 or higher equip. MWO will play befor the Clans attack the IS. The Timeline is 3049. Lock about some stuff (like SRM4 Streak) there are developt 3060 in the IS. So we will get only the Standart Tech 2 Stuff which was avalible 3049, no Clan-Tech, no tech 3 , no Solaris-Tech, no Exp.-Construction rules, no ComStar-Mechs.

A lot of people including myself don't know the ins and outs of the MW time table. Try to realize that. I only know myself because I read the Mech and weapons list in MWO and go from there. I've no idea what is "tech 2", "tech 3", or "ComStar" Mechs. I assume pulse lasers came later as they aren't being mentioned in this game list.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users