Founders: how are you building your prime variants?

149 replies to this topic

#41 JokerACE

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

Level1 vs. level2 quickie.

Level1 is basically everything without ER. No XL engines, no double heat sinks, no Ferro-Fibrous armor. 3025 tech.

Level2 is ER, pulse, Streak, Artemis, Endo Steel, Ferro-Fibrous, CASE, etc. Also, think lostech. Another easy way to think of it is House tech vs. SLDF/Royal tech.

Level3 or experimental, is stuff we won't get into for quite some time.

3050 is where the level2 tech starts to come into play. A very fun and pivotal timeframe.

#42 Hawker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

So I wonder if when you pick the XL engine if you can get it with DHS or not. At this point I am not too worried about repair bills, I will probably buy the mechs I want from the in-game store. If they make it so you can lose money in a match by getting your mech scrapped, then the game is up before it even started. Can you imagine the griefing associated with that? I knew you could.

#43 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I don't have anything super in depth, but I have been kicking around some ideas.

Jenner: Close range scout seems pretty decent as is. I was also considering a long range version with large lasers, and maybe a LRM5 if I can fit it. Its primary use will be to harass from range, and basically get the enemy looking everywhere except where my teammates are, and use speed to evade any pursuers.

Hunchback: I'd like to switch the AC20 to an AC10, maybe switch the SRM to a LRM, and turn it more into a mid range brawler (is it still considered brawling at mid range? oh well lol) for more flexibility. Either that, it I'd spec it for extreme close range, dropping the medium lasers for small lasers to increase speed and armor.

Catapult: I haven't thought much about the Cat, seems like a pretty good fire support mech as it is. I might consider sacrificing some LRMs and a pair of medium lasers for some PPCs or even large lasers. I've always been mistrustful of LRMs, it's too easy to fool their tracking with obstacles and whatnot.

Atlas: Haven't even considered it. I probably won't play an assault mech for quite a while. I prefer mobility and flanking to straight up fire fights.

#44 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Never quite understood why an LRM5 is two tons while an LRM10 is five tons.

But for my Catapult I'm thinking of:

Armor: 13.5tons (MAX)
XL Engine
Endo-Steel Structure
13x Double Heatsinks
6x LRM 5s
1x ER Large Laser
2x Medium Pulse Lasers
4x Jump Jets

*Not sure how effective the Artemis IV FCC will be. According to BT rules it's per weapon, but I've seen it be it's own separate piece of equipment like a Beagle Active Probe, that affects all missile weapons. If it is a separate piece then I will go with this setup, otherwise I will go for 2x LRM15s and mess around with the other things.

Jenner

Armor: 7.0tons (MAX)
XL Engine
Endo-Steel Structure
Ferro-Fibrous Armor
10x Double Heatsinks
2x Medium Pulse Laser
2x Medium Laser
1x SRM4
2x SRM4 Ammo
1x Tag
5x Jump Jets

Hunchback
Armor: 11.0tons (MAX)
XL Engine: Engine Upgraded so that it moves at 97.2kph
Endo-Steel Structure
10x Double Heatsinks
1x Ultra AC/5
3x Ultra AC/5 Ammo
3x Medium Pulse Lasers (or 1x ER Large Laser and 1x Medium Laser, haven't decided yet)
5x Jumpjets

*You can probably tell I really want an Enforcer! I think the UAC/5 is better than the AC/20 because of the limited number of shots you get with a ton of AC/20 ammo. With 5 damage per hit the UAC/5 (3 round burst?) can probably put up more damage, even at close range, if your gunnery skills are good than the AC/20 can... at least over time.

*Not sure if 3x MPL or 1x ERLL and 1x ML would be better. The ERLL config would fit the UAC/5 better as both have roughly the same range, but I will never have to worry about heat with the 3x MPLs and with the speed and Jump Jets I could get in and burst people and then run away. With 60 clips of UAC/5 I'll be firing for quite awhile in any case.

The Atlas will basically have the same config that the K version of that Mech, as I don't see the need the change anything other than how much Gauss ammo there is. But I don't want to run around in an Assault Mech anyway.

#45 ermine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostxRaeder, on 08 July 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Hunchback
Armor: 11.0tons (MAX)
XL Engine: Engine Upgraded so that it moves at 97.2kph
Endo-Steel Structure
10x Double Heatsinks
1x Ultra AC/5
3x Ultra AC/5 Ammo
3x Medium Pulse Lasers (or 1x ER Large Laser and 1x Medium Laser, haven't decided yet)
5x Jumpjets

*You can probably tell I really want an Enforcer! I think the UAC/5 is better than the AC/20 because of the limited number of shots you get with a ton of AC/20 ammo. With 5 damage per hit the UAC/5 (3 round burst?) can probably put up more damage, even at close range, if your gunnery skills are good than the AC/20 can... at least over time.

*Not sure if 3x MPL or 1x ERLL and 1x ML would be better. The ERLL config would fit the UAC/5 better as both have roughly the same range, but I will never have to worry about heat with the 3x MPLs and with the speed and Jump Jets I could get in and burst people and then run away. With 60 clips of UAC/5 I'll be firing for quite awhile in any case.

My understanding is that Jump Jets can't be placed on a chassis that lacks them. Jumping hunchback would be awesome, though.

#46 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postermine, on 08 July 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

My understanding is that Jump Jets can't be placed on a chassis that lacks them. Jumping hunchback would be awesome, though.

I thought I read that the devs consider Jump Jets to be like any other sort of equipment. If that's not the case it doesn't really matter, as Jump Jets are situational anyway. I could put some more weapons on it.

#47 Bearcut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Granted I upgrade to Elite Status
I'm thinking
HBK-4G, switch the AC/20 for an AC/10, Then swap out the lasers for a Large Laser on the left arm.
or
Catapult, switching LRM's for SRM's, removing jump jets, and increasing engine speed.

#48 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Will leave the Jenner stock initially. I actually like its setup and speed.
Hunchback will swap that AC/20 for either an AC/10 or gauss rifle.
Catapult downgrade the LRMs to LRM10s and see about fitting a single Large Laser in place of two of the medium lasers.
Atlas. Ditch the AC/20 for an AC/10, downgrade that LRM to a LRM/15, and again fit a single Large Laser.
No, I'm not looking at a mechlab/builder right now, but I fairly sure I can do those adjustments with a minimum of hassle. If any of these swaps leave room I'll add heat sinks. If I still need to make room I'll figure something out.

I just want to turn my non scout mechs into something with a bit more ammo and longevity. I keep getting this image of a lot of ppl using the AC/20 running out of ammo if I can get them into mid range combats rather than the short range brawls they are building for.

#49 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm not going to worry about till I see what is actually available and what I can afford. The stock Jenner that I picked as my Founder ride seems ok as is though.

#50 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

Well with the Atlas I will likely drop the Medium Lasers for Large Lasers. Weight wise 4 Mediums should be =2 Larges, so it should be a simple switch. This exchange will give me longer range and harder hitting Lasers. Then I will likely drop the SRM for either more armor or more ammo for the AC or LRM. I'll probably retain the AC 20 for anyone daring to get in my face but the rest of my weapons will have a longer range than the default.

The Catapult is getting the LRM 15s dropped for LRM 20s. This means I'll have to drop some Lasers for the space. I'll probably end up with 2 Medium Lasers and 2 LRM 20s. Less short range dps, more max range missile dps. 2 LRM 20s pouring down upon enemies from above at max range is going to hurt. I'll just need my allies to keep LoS for lockon.

The Hunchback I like as is but I'll most likely scrap the Small Laser for extra armor or ammo. If I decide I want more ranged I'll simply drop the AC 20 for a Gauss Rifle or lighter ACs. I always liked the Hollander, aka "Gauss Rifle with legs" (Just like I like the Catapult, aka "LRM racks with legs"), but since that Mech isn't in the roaster I realize I could simply turn the Hunchback into that. He has a big Ballistic slot, just put a Gauss Rifle there and mission is accomplished. Whether I'll prefer to stay with an AC 20 or Gauss is up for debate. I'd have to play the game to find out. If LoS is too hard to keep I'll likely throw the Gauss aside and just run up to AC 20 their face.

The Jenner will be losing some Lasers in exchange for some Streak SRMs. I'll also drop the SRM for Streak SRM. I was never too good at aiming SRMs. They need to be Streak. The prime variant is also too stacked on Energy and will have heat issues. So my build will be Medium Lasers and 2-3 Streak SRMs. The heatsinks I save with less heat issues can buy me more missile ammo, armor, or speed.

#51 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostHikaru, on 27 June 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

The Jenner prime is the best built of the four, but it's still not ideal. 4 tons of ammo is basically one hit one death when I guestimate that half your enemies will be sporting a PPC and/or Gauss rifle. Punched in the numbers and you could build one with 2 PPCs but you drop the engine down to 6/9/- and only 3.5 tons of armor. And that's with zero additional heat sinks, so you're pretty much screwed after 2 volleys. Not gonna work.

also note the supposed doubled armor

View PostBluten, on 08 July 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Well with the Atlas I will likely drop the Medium Lasers for Large Lasers. Weight wise 4 Mediums should be =2 Larges

You might not be able to. Ive been hearing that if you have only the space for two energy weapons in a location you CAN only put two. So swapping 2 lg las for 4 med las doesnt work. As I understand it you can only swap 2 lg las for 2 med las.

#52 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Post514yer, on 08 July 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

also note the supposed doubled armor

You might not be able to. Ive been hearing that if you have only the space for two energy weapons in a location you CAN only put two. So swapping 2 lg las for 4 med las doesnt work. As I understand it you can only swap 2 lg las for 2 med las.

I never said I was taking out Larges for Mediums. I said I was taking out Mediums for Larges, not that it matters. If 2 Mediums can fit in a hardpoint, 1 Large should fit in that same hardpoint.

#53 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostBluten, on 08 July 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

I never said I was taking out Larges for Mediums. I said I was taking out Mediums for Larges, not that it matters. If 2 Mediums can fit in a hardpoint, 1 Large should fit in that same hardpoint.

ah got it backwards lol

and technically, crits allowing of course, you could fit 2 lgs in that hardpoint

Edited by 514yer, 08 July 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#54 Siegwald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

I like assault mechs and I took the Atlas as founder piece.

The only thing about the Atlas that bugs me is the fact that it has only the LRM/20 for long range fights and otherwise is a pure brawler.

So my solution to alleviate the gap between the 270 and 600+ meter weapon systems is that I'll downgrade LRM from 20 to 15 and SRM from 6 to 4 and change 1 of the two arm mounted medium lasers to a large one. This should work within the current hard point system as pointed out in the previews.

Not a big change but I think the Atlas becomes more reliable over all range levels. It is still primarily a brawler but less restricted by ammo considerations and reload times in fights at medium to large range. And I keep the AC/20 for everyone stupid enough to come close frontally xD.

Cheers, Siegwald

#55 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

This entire thread is chock full of XL engines. I approve.

I am going to have so much fun destroying everyone's 'Mechs by taking out one side torso :D

#56 Future Perfect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:33 AM

Atlas AS7-D

AC-10 with five or six tons of ammo

2x LRM 15s with two tons of ammo each which equals sixteen volleys

4x Medium Lasers

Edited by Future Perfect, 09 July 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#57 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

In past games I've gone energy heavy usually...I hate the dead weight of an empty ammo weapon.
I'm going to have to see how this one plays to see if I stick with that preference.

The net result: I'll leave my Jenner stock at first; then I'll tweak it once I am more comfortable with the new game (mission duration, etc).

#58 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

To quote Casey Hudson: "Lots of speculation from everyone."

We don't know how far we can influence the variants. My guess would be that upgrades like XL-engine, bigger engine or endosteel-chassis are just attainable by buying a new variant because they are not a simple retrofit.

In this case I would not be sure if we can simply buy DHS or have to buy a variant that supports them (the fusion engine needs to be prepared by the factory to use DHS or some other reason). Why I don't think this is true: that would render the founders-mechs useless over time and produce many angry founders.

#59 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

You can be pretty sure that you can outfit any 'Mech with whatever engine type or internals you want. Because if you could not, it would render so many concepts that are already announced moot. It makes simply no sense to not allow people to refit their engine.

In tabletop, by the way, you can also refit any 'Mech you want in any way you want at any time you want. If it's not an OmniMech, it simply takes longer, costs more and requires better skilled technicians with access to the best maintenance bays and factory lines.

#60 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

I'll do a general break down. I have made the following using HeavyMetal Pro.

Catapult - XL Engine, LRM20s with a butt ton of ammo, only 2 medium lasers.

Hunchback - Gimme Gauss Rifle! Gimme!

Jenner - Remove SRMs, add two modem Mediums if slots available. If not, make Mediums heat stable, possibly mix the laser load up if I'm feeling frisky.

Atlas - Remove the LRM20 for an SRM rack, more ammo, more heatsinks, etc.

EDIT: This is of course, the basic mods I'll be making. When I get a hold of how credit production wil flow, and of hard points and such, I'll probably start to get... weird.

You know, the good kind of weird. The kind you wish your girlfriend was.

Edited by Bombast, 09 July 2012 - 04:42 AM.

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users