• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostPrussian Havoc, on 08 January 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

An excellent and honorable sentiment Trothkin Amaris Cameron!

First off it is Amarus Cameron, the name of the usurper does not suit me. Trust me before I was bloodnamed and was just Amarus many lols were had.

Second, I see your point, but I think that should we attack and make full capture of the planet a possibility then the Kuritans will not be so focused on Outer Volta, though that does not ensure the FRR will not attack Idlewind. Idlewind is the highest priority we cannot have a hole in the line, but attacking Itabiana will surly rock the kuritans back a bit.

Edited by Amarus Cameron, 08 January 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#62 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 08 January 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

I believe we should simply attack, attacking always rocks the enemy back. IF we have 4 12 mans then 2 should be attacking the next planet, one defending Idlewind (redeployable to the attack if it is 20% or below from attackers), and one defending Outer Volta (with the same parameters as those defending Idlewind)

Simply said, we need to take ground, if we do not push forward we are failing. Falling back is out of the question. Defense should be secondary, I want to see some red go grey.

Correct if the goal is terra and smoke jag being the Only clan not being pushed back by the stravag mercs , then why defend useless worlds. Keep pushing toward terra !

#63 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

SA will be defending Idle, OV and attacking Ibi in that order. We have been upfront and transparent since day one with our intentions with fellow,units since our arrival. As long as we as a faction, occassionally split our efforts for whatever personal reasons, we will have problems.

Like any MMO with a pvp component, skill is of a paramount importance but likewise, so is unity,of effort, as the latter provides numbers. CW will always be heavily impacted by numbers and it is realistic for that to be the case. So unified efforts will allow our skilled pilots to win or stymie opponents in the tough fights, and our less skilled pilots to both learn and to contribute heavily.

When we split efforts, in the end, skilled pilots and organized units really can do little more than staunch the bleeding. Forward progress requires momentum.

Yes, attacking is preferred, but given our small faction numbers, if we do not apply ourselves to gain a localized numbers parity or advantage, we are just spinning our wheels.

See you on the field.

#64 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 08 January 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

First off it is Amarus Cameron, the name of the usurper does not suit me. Trust me before I was bloodnamed and was just Amarus many lols were had..."snip"

My error has been corrected.
I look forward to gaming alongside you Amarus!

View PostGrimwill, on 08 January 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Correct if the goal is terra and smoke jag being the Only clan not being pushed back by the stravag mercs , then why defend useless worlds. Keep pushing toward terra !

The drive on Terra will be won or lost as a result of both Clan Strength of Arms and as Lukoi Banacek points out above - Clan Unity.

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 08 January 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

SA will be defending Idle, OV and attacking Ibi in that order. We have been upfront and transparent since day one with our intentions with fellow,units since our arrival. As long as we as a faction, occassionally split our efforts for whatever personal reasons, we will have problems.

Like any MMO with a pvp component, skill is of a paramount importance but likewise, so is unity,of effort, as the latter provides numbers..."snip"

As I just paraphrased from you in my above response to Grimwill, there should be no underestimating the Faction which achieves the greatest Unity of Purpose.

Our efforts here along with your OP in http://mwomercs.com/...corridor-units/ when added to the greater Smoke Jaguar Community effort on forums and in TeamSpeak, moves our aggregate Faction Unity of Effort that much closer to an effective and efficient realization within MWO CW.

I look forward to future progress knowing that there will be the occasional setbacks... what is of importance at this stage is that we do our best to further inculcate resilience, tolerance and a willingness to learn from past mistakes.

The loss of two planets to Kurita will be a small price to pay for the far greater value and impact of a more self-aware and unified Faction base.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 08 January 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#65 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

I'm at work but watching the fighting through the Browser tracker, looks like the DC already has 25% of sectors from Outer Volta captured, and all of our progress on Itabaiana was snuffed out. Anyone who will be on soon should direct their attention to make sure we are not so far behind when the rest of us can get on (curse you standard work hours!)

#66 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

Well Volta is back down to 2 atk wins and we have made small headway into Itabainana (itsabanana!) The other clans seem to be dropping in our defense as well witch is nice...Though I have seen no organized groups from wolf bear or falcon in, they may have their hands full with their own territory.

#67 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostTuku, on 08 January 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Well Volta is back down to 2 atk wins and we have made small headway into Itabainana (itsabanana!) The other clans seem to be dropping in our defense as well witch is nice...Though I have seen no organized groups from wolf bear or falcon in, they may have their hands full with their own territory.

Very good to hear...and would you believe it I might actually get out of work early today Kerensky be praised!

#68 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

We just need to be very aware and deliberate with our forces, since we are small we cannot waste time on anything else. If we coordinate each night starting at say 5:30 EST time and get the ball rolling there is no reason we cannot slam down any Wins/sections that were taken during the day and then also take at least ONE planet each night.

Just have to remember Defense first, Attack second Keep what is ours safe at all costs! Defend the planet and run off the 12 mans and pugs then Move to take a Planet. I would rather not lose and not gain then lose planet and also not gain any.

The Kurita loss i think is a blessing in disguise...Even though i dont ever want to give up conquered worlds and Time spent on taking them but it has put us on a better path to Terra. Let us remember this hitch in the algorithm and maybe use it to our benefit again later.

Edited by DarthRevis, 08 January 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#69 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Post 58, now includes a final Ceasefire Assessment and Recommendation. This third running operational summary is now complete, and can be found at: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4082460

#70 T K O

• PipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:46 AM

I think CSJ needs to revisit their battle plans a little. Seeing 60+ in defense of our planets against 30-40 opposition is wasting resources. I know we don't really care about getting our name on planets and I hope that's not the aim in just sitting on one planet regardless of what's going on in surrounding planets.

#71 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

View Posttkospec5, on 09 January 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

I think CSJ needs to revisit their battle plans a little. Seeing 60+ in defense of our planets against 30-40 opposition is wasting resources. I know we don't really care about getting our name on planets and I hope that's not the aim in just sitting on one planet regardless of what's going on in surrounding planets.

I see your point but our enemy has many many more warriors (If you can call a frebirth a warrior) to make planet fall than we do. We are a small faction and so we must protect what is ours. It is very possible that if the enemy sees us diverting resources to attacking before one of our planets is at 0 they might send more attackers to try and take it from us....2 12 mans dropping on a planet that just lost some defenders to an attack on a different world can pull the planet to their control in the span of 30 min. 2 12 mans is a drop in the bucket to a combined force like the Inner sphere or the merc alliances.

Also we do not have that granular a control over our units in CSJ. What units are dropping where is not tracked so we can not effectively split our forces in a way that allows us to respond if the above scenario dose come to pass. We are making slow but steady progress toward Terra and doing better than our brothers under the Wolf Bear and Falcon as we are not bleeding planets wholesale.

#72 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

View Posttkospec5, on 09 January 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

After the loss of two planets the two preceding nights, I think many of us (myself included) may have been over-concerned Smoke Jaguar might lose a third.

Also an exceptionally good case can be made that when Attacking PUGs see a 60+ Defender queue, they go elsewhere for a CW match where their faction already has an numeric advantage, specifically seeking to reinforce and be "in on" budding success. Similarly enemy Units (wanting to make an impact in CW) look toward easier fights on other planets, knowing Defenders will just be winning Ghost Drops whenever headway is made on that particular planet. Thus 60+ Defender queues do residual effects on def.

All that being said, my personal preference is to seize the initiative early by relentlessly pressing home an attack. There are finite numbers of gamers... why not invest all those hours of gaming on potentially gaining an enemy planet vice potential losing a friendly one?

I like your premise though... how can Smoke Jaguar best optimize its transitions between Attack to Defense and more importantly, from Defense to Attack?

I would hazard 30% for Defenses and 70% on Attack with the caveat that CSJ ALWAYS stand ready to jump back into the breech if enemies are lining up for ghost drops on CSJ defended planets that have an Enemy presence of 30% or more. Similarly ready to transition back to the Attack if enemy Defenders are lining up for Ghost Drops on planets where CSJ attacks percentages have dropped below 70% liberated.

These percentages leave very little room for error but maximize IMHO opportunities to secure both our's offensive and defensive objectives. Acceptance of risk is always the key question. If we are too risk-averse we will stay on defense too often and for too long, forgoing liberation opportunities. Be too aggressive and well have a repeat of recent nights where we lost planets by as little as 1 Sector...

These question as and our posts about them are what makes MWO CW such a compelling game to me. I look forward to seeing what CSJ comes up with.

Comments, criticisms and concerns welcome.

#73 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

The one thing to consider when advocating attack irrespective of defense is if you trade planets, a planet can become isolated forward.....so yes, you own a planet off in,the ether but as it is cut off the way PGI's algorithn looks at it, its no longer a jump off point for attacks. They essentially push us back everytime they take a planet. Taking a planet that gets cut off later, merely results in us fighting for the planets in between again anyway.

Defending our established corridor makes sense, and doing it well and in concert with multiple CSJ-aligned units allows us to then focus on effective attacks to renew our drive to Terra.

#74 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

Technically we could just focus everything on attacking. Who cares about some Periphery planets when we can just planet hop to Terra. If we take a planet a day then we will continue pushing to Terra. Once we got Terra then we can expand borders.

Edited by TheSilkenPimp, 09 January 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#75 T K O

• PipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

If our sole mission is to continue to only defend our planets we are not going to expand or go anywhere. You guys get that right? I'm not saying we shouldn't, but idk how you don't understand 60+ CSJ player sitting on defense(a third chilling in que) against 30-40 IS players is ok. Applying pressure can also relieve pressure. There's a lot of people that just que into whatever flashes on their screen just so they get a match instead of waiting.
I'm not trying to be an ass I'm trying to simply bring up a few points that need to be brought up regardless. Yes we don't have the largest population in the game but let's not use what we have in dumb ways please.

#76 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

If a planet gets taken by DCMS because you did not defend it, it eventually if not immediately cuts off the traded,for planet and it is no longer a jump off point for you to attack from.

See the DcMS planet on an island between us and GB? No attacks spring from it. Its an isolated world.

Simply trading planets will eventually grind you to a halt.

#77 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

Ahh ok so the planet jump wouldn't work. Gotcha.

#78 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Yea eventually we will have Logistical worries as well....We will have drop ships with a set range and to go further than that range you need to have friendly planets to re fuel on.

#79 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostTuku, on 09 January 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

...Also we do not have that granular a control over our units in CSJ. What units are dropping where is not tracked so we can not effectively split our forces in a way that allows us to respond if the above scenario dose come to pass. We are making slow but steady progress toward Terra and doing better than our brothers under the Wolf Bear and Falcon as we are not bleeding planets wholesale.

There are ebbs and flows to the aggregate Solo-CSJ gamers Attacks and Defenses... but when it comes to transitions between Offense and Defense it may just be easier than it appears.

It all comes down to our largest Units. If the average nightly contribution of Smoke Adder MechWarriors lifts and shifts their collective effort from a Solo-gamer field 60+ Defense of Outer Volta over to tonight's Attack Objective...

BANG!

All of a sudden Kurita Units must deal with 24 or more attackers (because surely some of the more aggressive Solo CSJ gamers will follow Attack Queue surges) against a Kurita Planetary Defensive queue that may have just been sitting at zero just minutes ago.

That may just give Kurita Units a "Moment of Pause" and into that disorganization and confusion (if the timing of the CSJ transition to the Attack is fortuitous) Kurita could miscalculate their response and fail in both efforts (defending their planet while failing to carry out what had appeared early to be successful invasion of a CSJ world.)

Jump starting Attacks is an excellent role for our 9, 10, 11 and 12-man teams.

Similarly, the same large Teams will make excellent "Fire Brigades" in response to threatened CSJ worlds where we must hold and take critical sectors in order to retain the world at all.

"Transitions" represent in equal measure, opportunities and risk.

#80 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

09JAN3050 - Smoke Jaguar Operational Assessment and Battle Tracking

PLAN - abbreviated Five Paragraph OPORD (http://en.m.wikipedi...paragraph_order) follows:

SITUATION: Given the current membership of the Inner Sphere Mercenary Alliance's and it's dramatic impact (21 Clan Worlds lost in 5 days, while only 3 new worlds taken) on the current balance of power between the Clans and Inner Sphere Houses, today Clan Smoke Jaguar will aggressively marshal it's own available forces to first ensure successful Defensive efforts while second, maximizing opportunities to sequence attacks to retake Juazeiro, liberating it from recent Kurita predation.

MISSION: Smoke Jaguar (inclusive of Mercenaries and associated Clan defensive contributions) defend Idlewind and Outer Volta while retaking Juazeiro from Inner Sphere aggression in order to best position Smoke Jaguar to be the Clan that liberates Terra.

EXECUTION: Enemy Center of Gravity remains the concerted actions of the current membership of the Inner Sphere Mercenary Alliance or ISMA (228, MS, Lords, QQ, EMP et al) as many of these units enter their 6-day on 7- day contracts. Where all storms can be weathered, it is important to remember that this amalgamation of exceptionally skilled and led Mercenary Units is of a highly transitory nature. It is understood that many of these Units are on a 7-day contract and that a number of them are already actively planning for the upcoming lapse of their contract with the FRR and their transition to the next opportunity to assert their Unit impact on MWO's CW. Thus first priority must be toward refusing FRR a legitimate breach in our defenses on the planet of Idlewind. Next, the single variable best under Smoke Jaguar control is our border with Kurita Space, specifically the contested planet of Outer Volta (because ONLY Kurita forces can oppose us here) and to a lesser extent the planet of Juazeiro (because not only top-tier Kurita but elite ISMA/FRR units can drop to the defense of Juazeiro making it a much more difficult target.) Thus priorities of effort are the defense of Idlewind, then Outer Volta, followed by an attack on Juazeiro, and completed by an immediate transition to an all-hands effort in support Clan Ghost Bear, Wolf and Jade Falcon defensive efforts.

ADMINISTRATION/LOGISTICS: New to Clan Smoke Jaguar efforts at coordination is the Clan Smoke Jaguar Invasion Corridor website at http://www.SmokeAlliance.com . Smoke Jaguar units and affiliated or interested Mercenary Units should have their Leaders and designers apply for access to this resource. Additionally this thread will remain active until tonight's Ceasefire to provide UNSECURED assessment and battle tracking. In anticipation of PGI's Logistics element for CW Phase Three I have earmarked 100m C-bills for personal donation to a potential "Faction Reserve Bank" that in turn could be managed by the Faction (mechanics to be determined later) to lend C-bills to financially-challenged Faction Units in order to ensure they remain solvent and can maintain offensive capabilities. While PGI has not yet indicated this is an option, it does follow that once Units begin to have to pay for drops in CW, a mechanism like a Faction Reserve Bank could be a very useful follow-on capability.

COMAND AND CONTROL: While this thread will provide a point from which to deviate, all Unit orders remain in effect. In game chat may be used to lift and shift combat focus throughout the day as required. The current TeamSpeak channel and email chains of Smoke Jaguar Leadership coordination of tactical action will continue and are expected to take this base plan for what it is worth, refining it to take best advantage of evolving combat opportunities across Clan Space.

BRANCH PLAN ONE - On order lift and shift three 12-man Comp Teams to conduct Zellbrigin against three 12-man Comp Teams from the Inner Sphere Mercenary Alliance on the Smoke Jaguar world of Idlewind. One v ones, Lance on Lance or 12 v 12 Combats should be expected. Records should be taken by both sides with results posted in this thread tonight if made available to me by midnight EST.

BRANCH PLAN TWO - On order lift and shift one or more 12-man Comp Team to conduct Zellbrigin against Kurita's NS (or NS designate) on the Smoke Jaguar world of Outer Volta. One v ones, Lance on Lance or 12 v 12 Combats should be expected. Records should be taken by both sides with results posted in this thread tonight if made available to me by midnight EST.

11:00amEST through 3:00EST - Drops were primarily in defense of Clan Jade Falcon and Wolf. Defensive lines, while hard pressed held up remarkable well with good Clan representation in defense of these planets.

4:39EST - Offensive Operations begin on the planet of Juazeiro in order to retake the planet by 8:00EST and/or forcing the planet to become a resource sink for enemy defensive efforts relieving pressure on other Clan objectives.

7:00EST - CSJ Offensive on Juazeiro continues with currently 5 sectors under Smoke Jaguar control. Defenders on Idlewind and Outer Volts continue scans for inbound Dropships at likely Jumpship coordinates, and have found nothing to report as of yet.

ASSESSMENT: Hostilities with House Steiner reignite, permitting a decisive Smoke Jaguar win. Steiner hostilities bode well for Smoke Jaguar interest in the near-term.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 10 January 2015 - 05:02 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users