44 replies to this topic

#21 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

Yea i don't think the I3 will compete here.

I looked at the ibuypower website to build somthing....lasted all of 30 seconds and came away shaking my head........it's criminal.

#22 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

You guys should actually look up gaming performance tests instead of listening to your gut when it comes to the i3. It's a haswell with high clock speed and if a game can effectively use over 2 cores the hyperthreading actually improves performance.

Posted Image

first thing I could find.

#23 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

I stand corrected on just how badly the FX chips suck. I didn't realize even i3s outsripped them that badly.

In any case, trying to pick between two stupidly gimped chips instead of just building it to avoid being robbed still seems like a bad idea.

That said, I was able to get this system at least passable for ~$900

http://www.ibuypower...ar-Intel-Z97-i5

I used the Corsair CX600, and pair the i5-4440 with the R9 270. It's still robbery, but at least it's very slightly less egregious robbery.

Edited by Catamount, 05 January 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#24 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, in most games a high-clocked Haswell i3 will walk over a stock-clocked Piledriver chip, and even with a big OC on the Piledriver chip the i3 still goes toe to toe with them. For a lower-budget build like OP is looking at, it's definitely a better bet than the AMD chips he's been looking at.

#25 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 05 January 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

You guys should actually look up gaming performance tests instead of listening to your gut when it comes to the i3. It's a haswell with high clock speed and if a game can effectively use over 2 cores the hyperthreading actually improves performance.

Posted Image

first thing I could find.

yeah, I know about that. Opinion though helps in buying usually,but the i3 core CAN and WILL work with the video card.

#26 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 05 January 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

Yeah, in most games a high-clocked Haswell i3 will walk over a stock-clocked Piledriver chip, and even with a big OC on the Piledriver chip the i3 still goes toe to toe with them. For a lower-budget build like OP is looking at, it's definitely a better bet than the AMD chips he's been looking at.

Yeah, I realized that after a week or so, this budget that I've been given is not good, so I don't have a lot of room to work in. So an i3 Core is the best thing aside from those AMDs. Any more and we're talking hundreds for a multi-core...

#27 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostCatamount, on 05 January 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

In any case, trying to pick between two stupidly gimped chips instead of just building it to avoid being robbed still seems like the best bet.

That said, I was able to get this system at least passable for ~$900

http://www.ibuypower...ar-Intel-Z97-i5

I used the Corsair CX600, and pair the i5-4440 with the R9 270. It's still robbery, but at least it's very slightly less egregious robbery.

Hey, it could be worse, with alienware. :)

#28 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 January 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

Yeah, I realized that after a week or so, this budget that I've been given is not good, so I don't have a lot of room to work in. So an i3 Core is the best thing aside from those AMDs. Any more and we're talking hundreds for a multi-core...

Not really. You can build better for the same price your currently looking at if you build it yourself.

These prebuilts, are like burning money.

Im going to open the worlds first "competent" pre build website.... pretty sure i would have a niche in the market!

#29 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

good lord my friend dump the pre built pretty please? and you can build an i5 system for 600$ that will mow over what you are currently looking at.

#30 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

heh, you've been reading up from the start? This cousin of mine is stubborn like that, it's not for me it's for him, and man is it pissing me off... well, I guess I could try and reason with him... wish me luck. Though he may be already locked in on what has occurred on this thread over the days....

#31 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

Dude, take whatever his budget is, pick the parts and built him a computer yourself, pay to ship it, pocket like $50 for your trouble, and you'd still end up with stupidly better parts :D (if you don't have to ship it, well, then it gets even better)

Edited by Catamount, 05 January 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#32 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 January 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

This cousin of mine is stubborn like that …

Wash your hands of it: He's looking for someone to blame.

#33 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

**** me, Im going to run my 8350 as a 6300, put up some numbers. Ill have to pull my 8 core fx cnfg file. but this is insane, A overclocked 6300 loosing to a locked I3? I dont know about this.. stock for stock sure,ill buy that, but after a proper OC, no moron Biased intelism going on I am sure It would walk all over the I3.................what ram were they using as ram for this Test flapdrol DDr1333 for the FX and 1600XMP for the I3? there was no information. This site is ****. I will stick my foot right in their ass......i call BULLSH!T!

* "And further more Susan" Who Oc'd this 6300 to 4.7 on water.......What board were they using? what kind of VRMS 3+2 or some simple sh*t, Wheres the 350Watts plus from a sabretooth 990FX lame that you would leave that many holes in your opinion.....using skewed benchmarks and ratings........
I have a sub 100$ mobo 970 AM3+with 4+2 VRMs(not a lot BTW) that has lead my 8350 to 4.860ghz before major tinkering or case modding with a corsair H80................these numnuts dont know jack and or sh*t and obviously have been blind to the facts since Intel started compensating them. (how else to explain such skewed results)

The gigabit 970 UD5 has 8+2 VRMS,2X mine, and that is no 990FX allowing easy voltage bump-less OC to 4.4+ a monkey with a Razer mouse taped to his hand could OC that thing if it had a CPU cooler on it. You people.

This should be taken into acct. and handled by professionals not these Schlubs.........Who gave these clowns jobs.......Everybodys a half asser these days. A level playing field is required for true competition. goddamn cheaters.....everywhere.

You wont get anywhere with the FX processors without the right Vrms.........But once you have em -stick it right down Intels throat!
http://www.overclock...m-info-database

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 05 January 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#34 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 05 January 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

It's a haswell with high clock speed and if a game can effectively use over 2 cores the hyperthreading actually improves performance.

If a game effectively used more than 2 cores then a CPU with only 2 cores + HyperThreading would decrease performance. HyperThreading is a lesser implementation of what AMD did with its modules.

Intel's advantage comes from higher single-threaded performance, and that comes in no small part due to code not being optimized for AMD's hardware. This in turn is due to AMD not having a compiler that they can steer devs towards :(

#35 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 05 January 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

**** me, Im going to run my 8350 as a 6300, put up some numbers. Ill have to pull my 8 core fx cnfg file. but this is insane, A overclocked 6300 loosing to a locked I3? I dont know about this.. stock for stock sure,ill buy that, but after a proper OC, no moron Biased intelism going on I am sure It would walk all over the I3.................what ram were they using as ram for this Test flapdrol DDr1333 for the FX and 1600XMP for the I3? there was no information. This site is ****. I will stick my foot right in their ass......i call BULLSH!T!

Not sure about the memory, probably 1600 for everything. does it make much of a difference?

it depends on the game, some games hate FX's
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In others it's fine
Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, the overclocked FX6300 can beat the i3 in many titles but the FX performs horribly in the titles that don't scale well, like mechwarrior. If you average it out the overclocked FX6300 probably performs similar. I'd still recommend the i3 because lowering settings will be more likely to increase performance, as you're probably not stuck on a bit of singlethreaded code.

Edited by Flapdrol, 06 January 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#36 Bagor Aga

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 530 posts
  • Locationramat.:gan

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

I'm using i3 2120 (3.3 locked) for MW0 with 750ti. It is limited but holds 1080p with well playable 60fps. I also do records of our games and some rendering in Premiere with CUDA support. i3 suits lowcost fine IMO

Edited by Bagor Aga, 06 January 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#37 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 January 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

How will this GPU perform? :iBuypower Radeon R7-260X 2GB Graphics Card
It's $30+ more than the Nvidia GT 740 but I think it'll help the system out. Also this will help too a bit: iBuypower AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor It's $23 more, but will definitely help in FPS rate, as well as upping the memory to this : iBuypower 4GB DDR3 Memory + 1TB Hard Drive, which is $3+ more than the original memory, raising the total price to $610 (the extra $25 came from a care plan). Opinions on it? I mean, I'm not going to say anything against you, give it to me bluntly like you've guys been doing :)
EDIT: iBuypower Intel i3-4150 Haswell Dual-Core Processor instead of the AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor, $6 more, now total price is $616

If you must do it cheap, get a 750 ti.

#38 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 05 January 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

* "And further more Susan" Who Oc'd this 6300 to 4.7 on water.......What board were they using? what kind of VRMS 3+2 or some simple sh*t, Wheres the 350Watts plus from a sabretooth 990FX lame that you would leave that many holes in your opinion.....using skewed benchmarks and ratings........
I have a sub 100$ mobo 970 AM3+with 4+2 VRMs(not a lot BTW) that has lead my 8350 to 4.860ghz before major tinkering or case modding with a corsair H80................these numnuts dont know jack and or sh*t and obviously have been blind to the facts since Intel started compensating them. (how else to explain such skewed results)

The gigabit 970 UD5 has 8+2 VRMS,2X mine, and that is no 990FX allowing easy voltage bump-less OC to 4.4+ a monkey with a Razer mouse taped to his hand could OC that thing if it had a CPU cooler on it. You people.

This should be taken into acct. and handled by professionals not these Schlubs.........Who gave these clowns jobs.......Everybodys a half asser these days. A level playing field is required for true competition. goddamn cheaters.....everywhere.

You wont get anywhere with the FX processors without the right Vrms.........But once you have em -stick it right down Intels throat!
http://www.overclock...m-info-database

I know you fanboy very hard for camp red, but camp red isn't worth the time or money in 2015. If people need to save money, they can get the pentium 20th anniversary dual core. It's very cheap, fully unlocked, and very capable. If they want something general purpose, a locked i5 is superior to most of AMD's offerings.

When we're discussing MWO, and hardware used for MWO in particular, the G3258 crushes the budget competition with its immense single-threaded performance.

Maybe camp red will have some great stuff by Q2 this year, but until then, there's really no reason to get any AMD product.

#39 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

I think K computer performance for this game is random. I have a 5 or 6 yr old rig that runs s on high great, I have a computer I built last year which is better the my old one but I have a hard time on medium settings getting 20 fps. My friend has the same experience. Before and after he upgraded everything

#40 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for tips, gents. Seems I've left a few details out. I'm not paying for it. He is. I'm researching it for him and he's given me a budget to work in... anyways anything below this post is considered aftermath. If and when I get the time to I'll either post on this thread again or create a new one showing the results. Thank you all for your time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users