195 replies to this topic

#141 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 05 January 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm sorry I was unaware you HAD to pay money for those.

Also, 100 bucks gets you 24000 mc. A smart person who was too impatient to simply buy them with cbills, would spend 56.90$ and buy 12000 mc plus 1250 more, unless he actually needed that extra 12000 mc for something. SO ....trying to bury reality under exaggeration?

the reality is, for 36$ you can buy the most expensive "exclusive" mech in the game, and since none of those exclusives actually win the internet, they are a luxury, not a necessity.

Everything in the game is a luxury due to the fact it is F2P. This doesn't give it some impenetrable blanket shield that protects it from all criticism on pricing. You may not have to pay anything, but when you do, why shouldn't you get your money's worth? Why is it reasonable to pay nearly $60 for 3 mechs when one could get a whole new game instead? And since it is only a purchase of impatience, doesn't that degrade its value even less if it is standard stuff in a faster time; nothing special?

#142 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 January 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Everything in the game is a luxury due to the fact it is F2P. This doesn't give it some impenetrable blanket shield that protects it from all criticism on pricing. You may not have to pay anything, but when you do, why shouldn't you get your money's worth? Why is it reasonable to pay nearly $60 for 3 mechs when one could get a whole new game instead? And since it is only a purchase of impatience, doesn't that degrade its value even less if it is standard stuff in a faster time; nothing special?

I almost find it funny that we have to pay $60 for 3 mechs when its only the same mech cuz of the totally ******** progression system in this game.......

#143 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostSerpieri, on 05 January 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

Still haven't bought a single thing in MWO - the pricing needs to go down - these are virtual items.

no they are not virtual items they are a kidn fo service. and every service has its price even if *** comes not with a real good. Is it really that hard to understand? PGi is not only selling you mechs, its also provioding you with as erver to play and such stuff. Sure the freemiums ahve this as well, but this concept only works because some pay for the game to run and others to paly with them.

same question in reverse why should I buy game for 60$ when I can get it later for 5$? its the same game, probably even with bug fixes.

Answer: you want it and you are willing to do so, you can also wait for sales on the mechs and get them for a lower price. Further you support the developers, because if everyone would wait and buy games for 5$ there would never be a sequal because the games would flop in monetising the costs.

an when you on top of this wait for mc sales, the mc you buy the mech with are also even cheaper.

so mc sales + mech sales if you are patient make them quite some nice and cheap deals, as well.

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 January 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#144 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Steam could be a good thing.

I hope they're planning to get more server hardware for the influx of new players, otherwise I hope they don't expect much of a retention rate.

#145 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostRokuzachi, on 05 January 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

Steam could be a good thing.

I hope they're planning to get more server hardware for the influx of new players, otherwise I hope they don't expect much of a retention rate.

I hope they make some local battleservers on EU to match EU games against each others.

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 January 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#146 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 05 January 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Do you live in WA or CO? It has to be one of those.

"Well" for the business doesn't necessarily mean "done the way you like it."

At the end of the day, they are a business. A successful one, in an incredibly difficult industry that has survived over a decade through the worst recession in history.

#147 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 January 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

same question in reverse why should I buy game for 60$ when I can get it later for 5$? its the same game, probably even with bug fixes.

Because one is a full game, the other is an early access or shortcut to literally 2% of the (arguably unfinished) game's content that can (albeit painfully) acquired for free while it is still viable [people will probably still play the game when king crab is out for cbills. By the time Call of Duty: Whatever's New Warfare is $5, its actually worthless for the 1/2 of the game that is multiplayer].
Not including equipment costs for modification or time spent on levelling.

Edited by Burktross, 05 January 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#148 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Why is it reasonable to pay nearly $60 for 3 mechs when one could get a whole new game instead?

You can also get 3 mechs plus mech bays, cockpit items, yadda yadda, for about $15. Mechs that are competitive in the leagues. You don't have to spend $60 for 3 mechs.

PGI has a price point for everyone, from the truly free user to the goldest of the golds.

#149 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostRoland, on 05 January 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

At this point, they have to make this work.
If MWO fails, these guys aren't gonna find work in the industry again.

It's ok to fail at making a garbage bin fishing game that no one ever plays.

Mechwarrior was actually a major IP. Folks actually know this game exists.

We can see your clan pack icon.

Inb4 ktown.

Best case scenario; you forum whiners retire to the island, the game gets balanced based on Input from players, rather than forum blowhards.

View PostRoland, on 05 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Dude, you payed $500 for a skin.
You have no idea what value even means.

Considering your status, at the helm of a vast software engineering empire, you sure are on a shoe-string budget..

#150 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

The MechWarrior IP is like a Hot Fudge Sundae ..it sells itself....that's all they had to do

Edited by Green Mamba, 05 January 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#151 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 05 January 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

The MechWarrior IP is like a Hot Fudge Sundae ..it sells itself....that's all they had to do

Because the cryengine is involved, that's not steaming fudge atop it.

#152 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

View PostF4T 4L, on 05 January 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

Inb4 ktown.

I'm unfamiliar-- what does "ktown" mean?
this isn't sarcastic, if it is a typo I can't, for the life of me, surmise what you meant to say

#153 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 January 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

I'm unfamiliar-- what does "ktown" mean?
this isn't sarcastic, if it is a typo I can't, for the life of me, surmise what you meant to say

http://mwomercs.com/...m/215-kaetetoa/

#154 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 05 January 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Oh... oh my...
Is this... the land of exile for exiles?

#155 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 05 January 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

And if that were true, this wouldn't be all you guys "last, best, hope".

Would it?

Wake up.

#156 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostHeffay, on 05 January 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

"Well" for the business doesn't necessarily mean "done the way you like it."

At the end of the day, they are a business. A successful one, in an incredibly difficult industry that has survived over a decade through the worst recession in history.

Neither does "able to sustain a business" mean "extremely well."

PGI has never done monetization "extremely well." They've managed to get by, and apparently well enough to stay in business, but by no reasonable measure have they done "extremely well." Simply managing to stay in business in a difficult industry is not "extremely well." It's passable.

Wizards of the Coast did "extremely well." Blizzard did "extremely well." PGI is a couple of orders of magnitude away from either.

PGI's monetization scheme limits their player base, and F2P games need as large of a player base as they can get.

Note that I didn't disagree with your other two points. Unlike many here, at least apparently, I find the game fun and think the graphics are nice. The game isn't what was promised, and the graphics have their... quirks... but both are pretty good. Their monetization scheme, though, assumes a large player base that they don't have. So now they're trapped and it's a constant struggle.

#157 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

and yet everything, even those bundles, go on sale (for example http://mwomercs.com/...y-packs-save-50 ). Will likely happen even more on STEAM.

Now that Atlas Bundle is for 5000 MC, or 22 bucks, and becomes 3 mechs (a Hero and Champ where applicable) and 30 days Premium Time (2500 MC value) for that, meaning since the Premium Time is about 12 bucks on it own, you just paid 10 bucks, approximately, for a Boars Head (7500 mc) and AS7-RS(C) (4685 mc), a AS7-D-DC (4195 mc), 3 Mechbays (900 mc) and a silly cockpit item (500 mc). So you just paid 3 bucks a pop for the mechs, including a Hero Atlas that usually runs 35 bucks.

(or 20180 mc worth of stuff, for 10200 mc off sale, or 5100 mc on sale)

Posted Image

Edited by Illya Arkhipova, 05 January 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#158 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 05 January 2015 - 05:34 PM, said:

Neither does "able to sustain a business" mean "extremely well."

PGI has never done monetization "extremely well." They've managed to get by, and apparently well enough to stay in business, but by no reasonable measure have they done "extremely well." Simply managing to stay in business in a difficult industry is not "extremely well." It's passable.

Wizards of the Coast did "extremely well." Blizzard did "extremely well." PGI is a couple of orders of magnitude away from either.

PGI's monetization scheme limits their player base, and F2P games need as large of a player base as they can get.

Note that I didn't disagree with your other two points. Unlike many here, at least apparently, I find the game fun and think the graphics are nice. The game isn't what was promised, and the graphics have their... quirks... but both are pretty good. Their monetization scheme, though, assumes a large player base that they don't have. So now they're trapped and it's a constant struggle.

actually, it pretty obviously assumes a smaller customer base, but one with more free income. Assuming a huge player base is impetus for volume walmart pricing, because what you lack in "quality" sales you make up in quantity. WoW or the like can get by with smaller transactions, because they do have a huge customer base.

People live under this myth that MW has ever been more than a niche success story (which if that were true, microsoft wouldn't have just sat on it for a decade), when indeed, it's always been a very niche title kept afloat by a smaller base of whales.

#159 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

you know PIG if i was able to fill up the MechBays i buy with real $$ id end up buying more mechbays an even stuff like cammo an even some stuff for the mech it self. but hay at the rate it is now it going to be 2016 by the time i get my 4 open mechbays full an need to buy some more. so keep it up an ill be holding onto my money longer.

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 05 January 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

actually, it pretty obviously assumes a smaller customer base, but one with more free income. Assuming a huge player base is impetus for volume walmart pricing, because what you lack in "quality" sales you make up in quantity. WoW or the like can get by with smaller transactions, because they do have a huge customer base.

People live under this myth that MW has ever been more than a niche success story (which if that were true, microsoft wouldn't have just sat on it for a decade), when indeed, it's always been a very niche title kept afloat by a smaller base of whales.

if that is so then PGI has set them self up to fail from the get go.

Edited by kf envy, 05 January 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#160 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

View Postkf envy, on 05 January 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

if that is so then PGI has set them self up to fail from the get go.

And yet they are still here. Eventually you start to look like this guy:

Posted Image

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users