#181 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 January 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

They are modern day versions of older Chris Roberts ships, who is the one making starcitizen... Except the RSI redeemer, which was a community created ship that won some SC youtube show. Strange how PGI managed to copy it, too.

Edit: that's not saying other games haven't drawn upon the timeless freelancer and wing commander classics. Here's an EVE ship that bears certain similarities to the XYZ borderworlds freelancer ships, which have been largely recreated as the 300 series in starcitizen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But there's a difference between copying something, and being inspired by something, then incorporating that inspiration in your own project to create something new. PGI went option #1, CCP of EVE fame went option #2.

te difference between copying and inspired by, is simply the subjective jdgement of haters, fanaboys and the creators. and nothign else, And I would not say to any of the SC creations I hav seen to be original, they all look like stimthing I have seen 10 year ago somewhere.

inspoired vs stolen/copied is like management language, they just cover something that sounds bad with soemthign that sounds better.

#182 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 January 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

te difference between copying and inspired by, is simply the subjective jdgement of haters, fanaboys and the creators. and nothign else, And I would not say to any of the SC creations I hav seen to be original, they all look like stimthing I have seen 10 year ago somewhere.

inspoired vs stolen/copied is like management language, they just cover something that sounds bad with soemthign that sounds better.

That's because all SC ships are based on wing commander and freelancer ships, which were made 10 to 20 years ago. It's made by the same person who created wing commander, privateer, and freelancer. Why wouldn't ship design be similar?

#183 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostRorvik, on 06 January 2015 - 01:13 AM, said:

IGP's bankruptcy (another hhhoooollllleeeee ssshhh***ttt reaction in itself)

Don't put too much down on IGP. It seems to be an entity that was created by 7g to take advantage funding theat the Canadian gov was handing out in montreal

#184 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 January 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

That's because all SC ships are based on wing commander and freelancer ships, which were made 10 to 20 years ago. It's made by the same person who created wing commander, privateer, and freelancer. Why wouldn't ship design be similar?

because its an own game? and you were complaining about similarities of game one with game 2.

#185 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

About in game prices mostly MC ones.

They seem to be at the top of gaming industry with high prices,but game is what it is I would never call this game top product.But one with huge potential.

#186 Ryche

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 January 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

largely unbalance,d you cna still beat a TBR to trash easily woth the right mech and loadout. do you know what largely unbalanced is? have you ever palyed those asia games, where that gear makes you have 2x the HOp, by double the damage, meanign you are like 4x weaker. You have no idea what p2w is, the slight gap the TBR is is not p2w,

make a armorless naked Fs with a 150 engine small laser and let it play vs a fully armroed one with real engine and 4 Mlas. then you would ahve a p2w scenario.

Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.
So per your earlier posts timbers are OP. They were more more so during their pay to access release. Thus paying for an in game advantage. One that was so unbalanced that clans as a whole were nerfed in several ways just as they started to be released for cbills... Yeah no p2w there. Proven by the definition you linked. An in game advantage over others. Notice how it does not mention winning in the definition.

#187 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

lol @ p2w whiners

everything is available to all people for cbills after the prerelease which is a bonus for people who actually spend money you tards

therefore no p2w

Plus, I was trashing TBWs on day one. P2L for those folks :D

Edited by cSand, 06 January 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#188 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

nothing anywhere is original. Everything has been done. A new original movie plot will use the same character development, or story arch as every other story. A new creature will be based on creatures we know in some way because humanity is restricted by what it knows or has experienced. Gods appear humanoid, or as animals, aliens appear similar to humans or to creatures around us. That is just how creativity is. The problem is when art and creativity meets capitalism that is when issues show up.

#189 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Well, I suppose I derailed this thread completely on accident by asking about Transverse.
OR WAS IT AN ACCIDENT, HAHAHA
no it was :^(

#190 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostBrody319, on 06 January 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

nothing anywhere is original. Everything has been done. A new original movie plot will use the same character development, or story arch as every other story. A new creature will be based on creatures we know in some way because humanity is restricted by what it knows or has experienced. Gods appear humanoid, or as animals, aliens appear similar to humans or to creatures around us. That is just how creativity is. The problem is when art and creativity meets capitalism that is when issues show up.

not If I make a moie where a giant parrot extincts the world by pooping on it, and the last survuvors secertly live below his faers flying to pluto starting a new civilisation there, sounds pretty original

Spoiler

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 January 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#191 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 January 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

not If I make a moie where a giant parrot extincts the world by pooping on it, and the last survuvors secertly live below his faers flying to pluto starting a new civilisation there, sounds pretty original

Spoiler

Your story arch would follow the same every other story does. Look up the Hero Cycle. you used a parrot which you know exists and thus what it looks like. Flying on a living animal in space has been done before, and starting a new civilization on another planet is one of the most popular in Sci-fi. Nothing original. You just take things you know and mash them together.

Originality is a perception, I could see someone's art of a robot I've never through off and say its original, but to someone else they might have already though or seen similar robots.

#192 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 06 January 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

A person buys starbucks everyday over the course of a year for 2.50 bucks a pop, instead of brewing it at home for 50 cents. That would be $730 wasted every year with zero tangible benefits (not even speed, once you count getting there, waiting in line, etc). And yet a huge portion of the USA does something similar every single day.

Just one of 1000s of examples I can think of, that a person would waste a lot more. But because it's nickle and dimed, it doesn't SEEM as big a waste.

I own a coffee maker for this reason. Just another way I can justify spending my money here. Those mech colors 'n stuff, although not physical, are more permanent than a cup of coffee per day.

You don't buy coffee, you just rent it. :D

:huh: ... o crud, I think I have BMD.

#193 ShadowWolf Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 January 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

The EVE ship is a Stratios and that was actually heavily influenced by X3 Terran ships. Even the color scheme. ;)

One of their other ships the Daredevil was yanked from another game (almost verbatim).

#194 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:22 PM

So back to lowering the prices. If colors were a dollar I'd buy them all. (not at once mind you but pretty quickly) There's a reason dollar stores are so popular. People don't notice a dollar, they'll spend $100 before they know and go "Wow, I ended up spending a lot....but that's OK because look AT ALL THIS SHWAG!"

Seriously i do it all the time buying crap I dont even need and I still feel good afterward.

I don't buy many mechs (just the odd hero) with real money. I won't even buy a color anymore (bought 2 different blacks that look exactly the same and got pissed off. $5 completely wasted. $1 I could forgive but a fiver? Screw that. Even at $2.50 that would generate a solid amount of feeling screwed.)

Here's my data:

Total personal expenditure on the game so far: Approximately $60
Amount I'd have spent at $1 every second day for the entire time I've been playing: $135 (not including the hero mechs)
Projected total with Hero purchases: $195
Amount of premium time I'd have bought if I could activate it without wasting it: Estimated value - $40

Possible cash from my low budget pockets: $235 Actual: $60 (Approx. 25%)

This is what you're looking at from the casual player. They don't want everything for free, they just want it close enough that it FEELS that way. At this rate, as soon as I have some serious disposable income I'll be spending it on something else.

#195 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

Agree. PGI needs a come to Jesus meeting about their pricing. The game has grown so much over the past 2 years. It's worth reevaluating.

#196 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

Tracking modules and cockpit items on nearly 200 mechs seriously pisses me off. So does the fact that they cost more than many light mechs.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users