- - - - -

From Medium Mech To Heavy, But Which One?

46 replies to this topic

#1 Sharky09

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi all,

Been playing MWO couple of weeks now, my maiden mech is Hunchback and leveling up three of them to elite atm.

When I am finished I like to move up to a heavy. Been paying attention on this forum, but also ingame and I noticed that only very few (inner sphere) heavies are used commonly. Very few. JagerMech, some Thunderbolt, some Catapults. Rest you hardly see. Surprising for me ...

Are the rest difficult to handle, or just old (most fed up with them), or just crap? Is this the general opinion?, and are only the clan heavies worth looking at? Because I see them way more often.

Just orientating what my next step should be. I need a 4th mech to enter CW.

So far I enjoyed playing support-brawling/LRM the most (and most succesfull). Have the 4G, 4J and 4SP.

I know most is about personnal preference, playstyle and taste. But need some direction.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

So are you looking for mechs that you can use in CW or just looking to get a heavy?

And do you plan to play solo or join a group for CW?

With the two current CW maps and depending on if you plan to only be in IS vs IS or if you want to try IS vs Clan, we can provide some recommendations for you to consider with those in mind.

Otherwise we can provide examples for mechs and builds for particular roles you are interested in trying out for a particular variant.

#3 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

when it comes to the IS the Quirks each mech gets has really helped some mechs become stupidly popular over others. Mostly due to the bonuses those mechs get

The Thunderbolt is a prime example. Prior to the Quirk system it was a mech that was rarely used and now its very popular with the buffs it gets

#4 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

Thunderbolts, Jagermechs and Catapults are seen often because indeed these are the more competitive ones.
Check out metamechs.com Competitive Mech Buying page, it explains a lot why different mechs are good.

To summarise, Tbolts have excellent energy boats, Jagers (and Cataphracts) AC boats and Catapults for LRMs.

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 05 January 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#5 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

Timbergod for clan.
Cataphract for IS.

#6 Ariazzzz

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

Cataphract 3d
Or when you like to play with ballistics play
Jager DD with 3x uac5

#7 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

Cataphract is an amazing chassis.

#8 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:37 AM

Of course it also depends on your own play style.

I personally liked Thunderbolts before the Quirks because they worked well for me. They do well with the Standard engines they come with, and the 9S and 9SE come pre-upgraded with DHS.

Catapults on the other hand I do horrible in. It's XL-Engine friendly for sure but for me I find I was losing that CT way too rapidly, especially from fire coming from the side. Others do great in them though.

Jagermechs I really like. Dual Gauss is a killer sniper for me, I often get multiple kills in a game with that one. 4 AC/2 I just like for the fun of it. Dakka-Dakka!! Ran a dual UAC/5 with standard engine but didn't do too wel. Might have to try the triple UAC/5 set-up though.

Those are the Heavies I have actual cockpit experience in. I can tell that I always put Cataphracts high on my threat list while Orions are low on the list. For the latter that is due to their diverse hardpoints which doesn't make them boat very well. A well piloted can be a very nasty surprise though, just because people put them low on the list.

Post Quirk I'm still not afraid of Quickdraws but now I treat Dragons with respect, those things can be deadly when ignored.

If you like the mobility of your Mediums the Dragon might not be a bad choice. It's barely a heavy and can take some big (XL) engines.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

Yeah, Jagermechs, Cataphracts, and Thunderbolts are the best IS chassis at this time. You don't see many Orions, Quickdraws, or Dragons. Catapults are ok. The reason why you see as many as you do is because lots of people seem to have them. The K2 and Jester offer decent hardpoints. The tonnage is in the right spot too. The average weight of 4 mechs with a 240 max is 60 tons. The Catapult comes in at 65.

#10 Siej

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIn your base, drinking your coffee.

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

If you're looking to be ready for CW, don't get a clan mech. With three IS mechs already, you'll want a fourth IS mech so you can play in CW. With 3 Hunchbacks you have 150 tons, leaving you up to 90 tons for your next mech to complete your group, which leaves lots open for you if you want to go with a heavy.

Lots of choices and lots of reasons to go with any one of them.

Since you're already accustomed to having high torso mounts and low arm mounts, the thunderbolt might be a good mech for you and it is currently considered quite competitive for CW and otherwise. It's always been a good mech.

Cataphract has been popular a while, but a bit less so after the quirk pass as people try other mechs. It's still a solid mech. The 3D is the only one with jump jets, however, and may be a tad disconcerting if you get really used to having them. It makes the others less appealing to some. However, most of the chassis have something going for it, and they are fun both with energy and ballistics. Good choices in general, but may take some practice with its varying hardpoints. The only consistency here is the right torso ballistic and the energy points in the torso as well. Some also use it as a dual gauss sniper, though the low arm mounting makes it a tad more difficult.

The Jagermech is generally enjoyed for its variety of loadouts and high arm mounting, allowing a lot of use over cover and for sniping/support fire. It is used less as a brawler because of it's flat torso. From the sides, it's either the arms or the side torsos, and most Jagermechs use XL engines. The JM6-A is nice if you want some SRMs or LRMs to go with your ballistics, but the most popular are the JM6-S with its dual ballistic arms and the JM6-DD for its triple ballistic slots in the arms. There are a variety of loadouts for both, from triple UAC5s, Quad-AC2s, AC2/AC5 combos, and dual Gauss combos. A few of us use the DD with paired LBX10s and MGs for the fun of crits and a brawling build. Lots of uses for these, thus their popularity.

Catapults either about missiles or lasers with the occasional ballistic build on the K2. K2's will sometimes field dual guass, dual AC20s, or even dual LBX10s. Others sport more energy heavy builds with PPCs and the like. The Jester is the energy version of the K2 that retains jump jets, though only 2. A fun mech, though. The C1, C4, and A1 all have large missile bays. The C1 has more energy points (4) for back-up and fewer missile slots (2), the A1 only has missiles (6) and tends to either boat LRMs or SRMs (more the former than the latter), and the C4 is in between the two with 4 missile slots and 2 energy. Catapults have the problem of having a big nose and big arm pods that get shot at a lot. They're reasonably fast and can take jump jets, so they are a good support mech but not great at front-line fighting.

Dragons are fun because they're fast, have decent armor, and now have some nasty ballistic punch. Most of the quirks speed up the fire rate of the ballistics and support some energy builds. The 1N is pretty nasty with fast firing dual AC5s, but losing that arm is painful and there isn't a ton of room for other weapons if you go that route and try to keep those things fed. Going with just one AC5 might be a good solution and vary the loadout more. The 5N works well with ERLLs and the AC2s are debatable depending on your style. Personally, I use dual AC2s and dual ERLLs on it. It's like a clan mech with the weapons all in the arms, but it's fun as a long range support mech. The 1C is a bit of a mixed bag, many go with one of the heroes to enjoy the use of an AC20 instead, but the 1C is still fun. I don't really use the gauss on that one.

Those are the heavies I use (except the thunderbolts), so that's all I can contribute, really. Hope that helped some.

#11 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostAmsro, on 06 January 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

Cataphract is an amazing chassis.

Seconded, also it didnt get any quirks so you are free to expirement openly without hampering your effectiveness. There are alot of possibilities with Cataphracts and you can build them to suit your playstyle, no matter what it is... aside from extreme speed, they cant do that but they can go 86KPH.

#12 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

If you started with the HBKs, you got used to a (mostly) torso mounted weapons payload. How did you like it? How did you perform with it?

Do you prefer to continue with a similarly run chassis, or try something new that depends on the weapons to be on the more articulated arms?

You also got to try a good mix of ballistics, missiles and energy weapons. Which did you prefer? Which did you do best with (accuracy and damage stats per weapon can be found in your profile, top right of this webpage)? Which did you ENJOY most?

After you consider these questions and answer them honestly, your choice of which heavy mech to jump into will be answered for you, as their very specific builds, hardpoints limitations and quirks mean only one or two will really suit your most effective or most enjoyed playstyle.

Edited by Mott, 06 January 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#13 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

The Cataphract has been mentioned before but I wanted to add the chassis are stupidly effective in CW as well as being solid in standard battles. The thing is you have to pick your battles with them. You're probably going to need XL engines to support the weight savings needed to mount autocannon heavy builds and those get pricey. My Assault deck involves a Firestarter, Thunderbold 9s ( ERPPC ), Cataphract IM( AC/10), and Cataphract 3D(Gauss). My defense deck only trades the 3D for a 4X because the 4X is slightly too slow to assault with but on defense the 4x AC/5 lays out incredible hurt. We've seen the meta in CW shifting somewhat to LRM's, and the 9S is also the Thunderbolt that can carry 2xAMS making it doubly desirable for CW. The 9S with a standard engine and only 2 ERPPC's and loaded with double heatsinks can fire nearly forever and is very survivable if you roll a bit. I've had situations where the whole mech was lying in tatters, missing a left lung and right arm, and the twin ERPPC's were still firing away from that shoulder.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

for LRMs you want Catapults although the JM6-A Jagermech can also do well with LRMs,
for long range direct fire support the Jagermech or Cataphract work best (honorable mention to the Catapult K2 and Thunderbolt 9S),
for brawling the Thunderbolt is probably best as its hitboxes are good for spreading damage, as the Thunderbolt works with its stock engine it will probably also be less expensive to outfit than the others.

#15 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

I don't own many heavies, as I'm a medium pilot mostly.

Of the 3 chassis I've mastered, I like the TDR the best. Especially since the quirks. There is a lot of "nerf T-bolt" threads right now, so that shows you they are effective.

If you like jumpjets and bawling medium mechs, you might want to try the QKD. You don't see many in CW, but I do well with them in regular matches. They have the speed and handling of a medium mech, but carry more armor and weapons. If you like energy weapons, the 5k is by far the best variant.

Jody

#16 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

From what you said about your playstyle, I would recommend a ON1-V. An Orion that has 2 med pulse in arms, dual ac5 and 3 lrm 5 is a jack of all trades with decent speed and armor. With that being said it's not terribly effective at brawling or sniping but can do most things reasonably well and you can have fun with it.

Also because of it's hardpoints you can easily become more effective in sniping or brawling if that is your goal in the future.

#17 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Thunderbolt 9S will play more like a Hunchback with its high mounted ERPPCs.
Thunderbolt 5SS is Wubberful!!!
Thud 9SE is decent with 4lpl.

Jager is decent but XLengines require more careful play.

Cataphract is decent but some of the guns are a bit low on the chassis.

Orions and Dragons arent as strong per say but not bad.

Clan-wise: Timberwolf.
I love the Summoner but it is disadvantaged, too much tonnage in fixed equipment, too few E hardpoints. May the Quirk Fairy be generous.

I would refer you to Metamechs.com

#18 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

From my personal experience piloting my stable of heavies. I have successfully used all of them CW, so I wouldn't worry about meta too much. Just find what works for you.

DRAGON: With the quirks these are capable of very high rates of DPS. The hitboxes have always been rough on them, but if you have been enjoying your Hunchbacks you probably have an idea already how to compensate for hitbox woes. XL friendly.

CATAPULT: Mostly for LRMs, the K2 being the exception, very solid performer in LRM support role, not as good up close due to very large CT hitbox. XL friendly.

JAGERMECH: If you like the DAKKA, this is your mech. Solid performer with quite a few fun and effective builds. A little thin on the armor. Can be XL friendly depending on the build and role.

THUNDERBOLT: Currently the flavor of the month for inner sphere heavies. Good hitboxes for close fighting and good payloads coupled with excellent quirks. Not XL friendly.

CATAPHRACT: A former flavor of the month mech. Still a great mech from both close and long ranges. Can be XL friendly depending on the build and role.

ORION: Like the Dragon, the Orion is a little harder to use than some others but is, nonetheless, a fantastic mech. It's in effect a miniature Atlas with its hardpoints. Pay attention to the quirks to get maximum mileage. Not XL friendly.

Edited by Voivode, 06 January 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#19 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

Good write up by Voivode. I own most of the heavy mechs and they are all fun in their own way. For CW dgn 1n with dual ac5 or triple erppc thunderbolt 9s is the way to go.

#20 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, that 1N with dual AC5s with a shorter cooldown than the default AC2 cooldown is mean. I also enjoy the 5N with 2xAC2s and 1xUAC5 and 2xML as another nice DAKKA dps machine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users