So, My Faction Is Screwed.

115 replies to this topic

#101 LoklanZFG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationWraeclast

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

@ the OP: I don't know if anyone pointed this out already, and I'm not gonna read all 6 pages.
Don't get discouraged by the map. By the nature of the game mode, there will be mass territory swings from time to time. When a faction gets an influx of merc units due to boosts/merc plans/whatever, that faction will suddenly be able to drop alot of 12 mans on any front they choose.

If that front is Clan/IS border ALL the pugs from the other side get spammed with defense buttons for said front. So the 12 mans probably end up facing pugs more often than other 12 mans. The 12 mans of good organized players can then proceed to farm pugs for loads of cash all day, because why wouldn't you? And in the process, planets fall non stop.

Edited by LoklanZFG, 27 January 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#102 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

I've honestly been surprised by it. I figured Kurita was a pretty popular faction; the whole space-samurai bad-guy thing is pretty iconic. Maybe hand out free katanas and sushi for free-anime night? Dunno.

I wonder if they shouldn't scale the difficulty of taking planets based on community populations? The skill of the players (and to an extent the shifts of the mercs) should determine victory, not what color fluff folks prefer.

#103 Alexander Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

In the 3050 timeline Kurita becomes a "good guy" faction. This happens when the leadership becomes really friendly with the Davions, who are always good guys in the novels and so are their friends. Heck Hohiro even lets Victor Steiner-Davion have his daughter. That's a clear sign that Kurita has joined the good guy club. Another sign is that Wolf's Dragoons and the Kell Hounds fight for the Combine in order to save Luthien.

Jade Falcon, Vlad's Wolves, Smoke Jaguar and Liao are the only real "bad guys" of the time. At least in the novels and the like. The source books are more balanced and show that all factions have both good and negative traits.

Edited by Alexander Steel, 27 January 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#104 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

Yeah yeah, they get married and live happily ever after (briefly :ph34r: ). Hey, the Dracs even wear white, right?

And I'm not sure batsh** crazy Liao counts as badguys. :lol:

#105 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 08 January 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

Every post makes you sound more foolish.

Oh god... a STAHP sign! I want one!

#106 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:38 AM

Order your "I'm on an island" or "Stahp Sign" tee shirt for only $19.99

#107 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostAx2Grind, on 28 January 2015 - 03:38 AM, said:

Order your "I'm on an island" or "Stahp Sign" tee shirt for only $19.99

Would be worth every penny! :wub:

#108 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 06 January 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

OR... alternatively, you could force anyone dropping with thier "Unit" to play CW, which forces those numbers playing CW up.

CW is not ment to cater to the pug. World of Tanks war mode doesn't cater to the pug, why the hell should CW?

Lolz - so, force people to play a game mode they've boycotted for it's shallow game play and unbalanced idiocy if they want to be part of a team. Yeah, great idea - let's drive more players away from MWO by ramrodding game play modes and styles down their throats. Oh, and then loudly spew venom at the PUG's, which we "don't need" even though they make up over 80% of the playerbase.

Enjoy your empty queues, CW-tryhards... brilliant!

Edited by oldradagast, 28 January 2015 - 04:21 AM.

#109 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

I was a little surprised to see CW revealed the way it was with the new mode being the only one, Originally if my memory serves correct, all drops were supposed to be counted toward CW in some way.

-k

#110 UnHolyLegion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:11 AM

^^ faction ONLY grouping option in PUG-land could contribute to this.

#111 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 28 January 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:

Lolz - so, force people to play a game mode they've boycotted for it's shallow game play and unbalanced idiocy if they want to be part of a team. Yeah, great idea - let's drive more players away from MWO by ramrodding game play modes and styles down their throats. Oh, and then loudly spew venom at the PUG's, which we "don't need" even though they make up over 80% of the playerbase.

Enjoy your empty queues, CW-tryhards... brilliant!

I really agree with you, I've seen firebreath the entire time I've been playing directed entirely at the solo droppers.

Solos are the scapegoat for losses, solos are the cause of every problem in this game. in fact, if most try-hards are to be believed. It's not the lack of communication tools, it's not the graphical or network code bugs, it's not a abhorrent lack of skill or leadership by a group, it's not even reliance on cheap high alpha builds that can be piloted by a monkey to useful effect, It's not even the very unbalanced maps and relatively shallow game modes available. It's the PUG's, having one in your game is akin to death, just one will make everyone lose. it doesn't matter if you literally pull 0 kills and get stormed by pilots actively working together and communicating, its the PUGs, it's their fault, THEY made you lose.

Well, seeing as though there's a lot of issues with this game, I want to say, maybe, just maybe you're misdirecting your hatred, what you really hate are two things:

Losing - nobody likes losing though, and there's always a loser in every game, don't play if this bothers you THAT much, nobody likes a sore loser.

New Players - Granted Newbies should be elsewhere, the solo queue, or training to figure things out, but that's beside the point, treating these people like most of the main offenders do, just makes them upset and resentful of the community, and it makes them stop playing if it happens too much. A new player doesn't want scorn thrown their way for being too inexperienced, it's bad enough they're having trouble and losing, they don't need your help feeling low. If you're constructive in your comments, while still providing criticism, it'll be taken better.

Ex.1
"OMG YOU'RE SO BAD!!!"

Could be rephrased as:

Ex. 2
"Take your time and focus on each shot, you're missing a lot."

One's just insulting, and one's actually helpful, or at least trying to be. We've all been spectating on a person "in the moment" snap firing and missing instead of taking time to fire accurately.

We need to, as a community, swallow our pride and do our best to be respectful of new players, even if they bone us right up the bum sometimes. A new player needs experience and direction, if you can't give that, don't speak at all, if you can, offer what you can. Who knows, maybe someday they'll be lobbied up with you and you'll be saying "Hey remember how much you used to suck?" and they'll say "Yeah."

Stop hating on things so much, if this is as much our game as it is PGI's, we are responsible as a group to making it a place where people want to go.

Edited by Kilgorin Strom, 28 January 2015 - 06:55 AM.

#112 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

I almost always play group queue, CW or normal, because CI has so many people on at any given time, we can always rustle up at least a lance. It's much more fun with people you are talking to - not just more effective, but more enjoyable.

I recently did a few days in solo queue, just to check it out. I can say that solo queue is the only place where your own team is more hostile to you than the enemy. If this is the case with some units in CW that get some PUGs on their team. That's downright ridiculous.

Firstly, if you are in CW with a group and you don't fill out a 12 man, don't blame the PUG that joins and lets you drop for being a PUG. Work with him and make him part of the team. We invite everyone to our TS when they drop with us. I've met a lot of great people this way, and some have even decided to join up with us. It's how I became part of the unit as well.

Secondly, in solo queue, or in group queue with small groups, there is no reason to rail on your own teammates. They may be bad, uncoordinated, distracted, or (more often), they just make a mistake. But berating your team does nothing helpful. Offering suggestions is good, but too many people have absolutely no tact and aren't even considering the other player as another human being. It's like road rage - we get pissed off and yell in our cars at the other cars on the road. But if we had to sit face to face with the driver, 99% of us would not even say a word, and most wouldn't even be angry. Realizing there's a person on the other end of the screen is important, and unfortunately something that we don't do often enough.

Voice comms do help a bit, because you get to hear that person and so aren't as likely to rage out. Helps you remember that you're not yelling at a digital robot. You're yelling at someone, so you should stop it.

#113 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

If you're NOT playing an hour or two before the CeaseFire/Pause to map change, then you WON'T have ANY relevance in Community Warfare.
The Hours upon Hours BETWEEN the ceasefires are meaningless.
That's ALL that really needs to be said.

Edited by Odins Fist, 28 January 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#114 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 28 January 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

If you're NOT playing an hour or two before the CeaseFire/Pause to map change, then you WON'T have ANY relevance in Community Warfare.

Actually I'm finding this to be not completely true.

Typically activity falls off quite a bit after the NA ceasefire but we are able to still find a few matches here and there. If you are able to push a planet to over 53% post-ceasefire there is a really good chance you will take that planet. SEA ceasefire doesn't seem to have a whole lot of activity in general. CSJ has been capping Kurita planets to 100% in the 2 hours or so after NA ceasefire and they have been taking those planets on a daily basis.

#115 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

View Postpwnface, on 28 January 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

Actually I'm finding this to be not completely true.

Typically activity falls off quite a bit after the NA ceasefire but we are able to still find a few matches here and there. If you are able to push a planet to over 53% post-ceasefire there is a really good chance you will take that planet.

There's a really good chance you're going to hold that planet at 53% for 6 or 7 more hours when YOU'RE not even on 2 hours later..??
No, you're not...

I have logged on at the halfway mark and saw almost NO activity for CW.
ALL planets 3 hours later were not anywhere near where they were in terms of loss or gain at that point.

I will put money on that fact that IF you leave a planet at 53% and I can get into 3 or 4 Teamspeaks and find a few handfuls of people, your 58% will be 0%. BUT We don't do it because it's NOT worth US doing. (Ghost Dropping)

It happens anyway with people that can't play peak hours, the 1 or 2 teams that feel like Ghost Dropping your planet to 0% during the halfway mark is going to happen. It's just not going to be most Teams, it's going to be randoms.

LIKE I SAID...

View PostOdins Fist, on 28 January 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Edited by Odins Fist, 28 January 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#116 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 28 January 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

There's a really good chance you're going to hold that planet at 53% for 6 or 7 more hours when YOU'RE not even on 2 hours later..??
No, you're not...

I have logged on at the halfway mark and saw almost NO activity for CW.
ALL planets 3 hours later were not anywhere near where they were in terms of loss or gain at that point.

I will put money on that fact that IF you leave a planet at 53% and I can get into 3 or 4 Teamspeaks and find a few handfuls of people, your 58% will be 0%. BUT We don't do it because it's NOT worth US doing. (Ghost Dropping)

It happens anyway with people that can't play peak hours, the 1 or 2 teams that feel like Ghost Dropping your planet to 0% during the halfway mark is going to happen. It's just not going to be most Teams, it's going to be randoms.

LIKE I SAID...

PWN has the right of it. Every battle counts and the higher you get a planet attack up early in the ceasefire the higher the chance that folks won't even bother with it and you can focus on a secondary target. This has in fact always been true...but now that we have 1/3 the time to take planets it is even more true. The sooner you can wrap up a planet to 100% the more likely you can have multiple wins by ceasefire. Managing ceasefire is still critical...but it is not the only time to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users