11 replies to this topic

#1 Edward Radenovic-Espinueva

• PipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 83 posts
  • LocationTukayyid

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Does opening missile doors of the Catapult or the pincers of the King Crab help reduce the time it takes to fire, or it is more of a placebo effect? I don't notice a difference (using the King Crab) when I am firing both my AC/20s with pincers auto-opening vs manually having them open.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

With doors (and claws) closed, you get a passive armour boost. The trade off is the delay in firing.

The King Crab doesn't have a delay programmed in (and I really they should change it so it does) so basically... there's no reason to open your claws ever.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

As stated above.

What's interesting is Catapult (and most missile doors) will open regardless if your missile launcher that you are firing is behind the door or mounted on the outside where the door doesn't matter.

....but the King Crab's external MG mounts (when the other ballistics are full with other ACs) do not cause the claws to open, allowing you to hammer out 2 MGs without reducing the armor buff to your arms. It isn't much, but when you're packing twin Gauss + twin AC/2s + twin MGs, some Streaks and some flamers... it's nice to hammer out some justice while secretly ticking down the temperature until you're ready to deliver the big surprise.

Oh, and it seems if they see flamers, MGs, and Streaks.... while the guy next to you is sporting AC/20 + SRMs...and the guy next to him is sporting other big ACs... it's like you're invisible. I love it.

And then that's when I introduce someone to flash-Gauss.

Should I not have the benefit of being a wolf in sheep's clothing (i.e. more obvious threats nearby), then I'll rack out the AC/2s which between their screen shake, the status-spamming MGs (causing many body parts to light up as if being shot), the Streaks, and the lag-inducing and blinding flamers... you won't have a chance against me one on one. *Flashy magic hands!* Twin Gauss can opener! Drill in AC/2s, MGs, Flamers, and Streaks. *Zoidberg whoop whoop crab walks right out the door!*

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 January 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

As stated above.

What's interesting is Catapult (and most missile doors) will open regardless if your missile launcher that you are firing is behind the door or mounted on the outside where the door doesn't matter.

....but the King Crab's external MG mounts (when the other ballistics are full with other ACs) do not cause the claws to open, allowing you to hammer out 2 MGs without reducing the armor buff to your arms. It isn't much, but when you're packing twin Gauss + twin AC/2s + twin MGs, some Streaks and some flamers... it's nice to hammer out some justice while secretly ticking down the temperature until you're ready to deliver the big surprise.

Oh, and it seems if they see flamers, MGs, and Streaks.... while the guy next to you is sporting AC/20 + SRMs...and the guy next to him is sporting other big ACs... it's like you're invisible. I love it.

And then that's when I introduce someone to flash-Gauss.

Should I not have the benefit of being a wolf in sheep's clothing (i.e. more obvious threats nearby), then I'll rack out the AC/2s which between their screen shake, the status-spamming MGs (causing many body parts to light up as if being shot), the Streaks, and the lag-inducing and blinding flamers... you won't have a chance against me one on one. *Flashy magic hands!* Twin Gauss can opener! Drill in AC/2s, MGs, Flamers, and Streaks. *Zoidberg whoop whoop crab walks right out the door!*

you sure? on the catapult with 2 LRM 15's and 4 SSRM 2's (SSRM 2's are on the outside) I can fire the SSRM 2's without the doors opening at all and with no delay...

#5 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

Opening the bay doors will save you 0.5 sec on your initial firing. They stay open for a few seconds afterwards, so if you hold down the fire button, they will stay open.

Not a big issue when launching LRMs, but for SRMs you need that responsiveness in close.

Edited by Fiona Marshe, 03 January 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 03 January 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Opening the bay doors will save you 0.5 sec on your initial firing. They stay open for a few seconds afterwards, so if you hold down the fire button, they will stay open.

Not a big issue when launching LRMs, but for SRMs you need that responsiveness in close.

slightly off topic but I actually abuse this...

Know how alpha striking 3+ LRM causes ghost heat?
I abuse the doors on my stalker 3H .

I chain fire 2 weapon groups, both have 1 LRM 20 and 1 LRM 5. (assigned so 1 weapon group is 1 side and the other weapon group being hte other side)

when I hit both at the same time. LRM 20's start to open up, as soon as it fires the LRM 5's fire. causing a no-ghost heat alpha strike of 20+20+5+5 lrm's, total = 50.

(Ghost heat is calculated by the time you activated the weapon ,not when they actually come out from the bay doors. you can see this as you suffer ghost heat from an alpha when a few LRM's are in doors while others are not.)

#7 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostTarogato, on 03 January 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

--- so basically... there's no reason to open your claws ever.

I open and close them as I exclaim "Give me butter!" in v-com.

#8 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 04 January 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

slightly off topic but I actually abuse this...

Know how alpha striking 3+ LRM causes ghost heat?
I abuse the doors on my stalker 3H .

I chain fire 2 weapon groups, both have 1 LRM 20 and 1 LRM 5. (assigned so 1 weapon group is 1 side and the other weapon group being hte other side)

when I hit both at the same time. LRM 20's start to open up, as soon as it fires the LRM 5's fire. causing a no-ghost heat alpha strike of 20+20+5+5 lrm's, total = 50.

(Ghost heat is calculated by the time you activated the weapon ,not when they actually come out from the bay doors. you can see this as you suffer ghost heat from an alpha when a few LRM's are in doors while others are not.)

That is...a ridiculously clever circumvention of the intent of ghost heat. Kudos to you until PGI nerfs that. If they even bother.

#9 wOOt99

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

Tarogato. How do you get a cool sig like yours where it shows your mech and k/d with win rate?

#10 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

People know their stuff better than I do, that is for sure. (I am looking at you, Koniving you goofball :P)

View PostwOOt99, on 04 January 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Tarogato. How do you get a cool sig like yours where it shows your mech and k/d with win rate?

Totally off-topic, but a valid enough question. Either he made it or someone else made it, had it posted somewhere, and he used it.
I know how adding images to signatures is supposed to work, but for whatever reason I ALWAYS seem to break it when I try to put one in my own signature. :blink: :ph34r: (At first I thought it was just IE being useless, but even switching to Chrome did not fix it, so I must be doing something wrong. XD)

#11 Edward Radenovic-Espinueva

• PipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 83 posts
  • LocationTukayyid

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

Thanks guys. Pinchers closed then... until further notice :)

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 January 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

you sure? on the catapult with 2 LRM 15's and 4 SSRM 2's (SSRM 2's are on the outside) I can fire the SSRM 2's without the doors opening at all and with no delay...

If true, then they fixed it. It's been a long complaint of mine, as it means on the ROFLpult I have to open the doors for any missiles to fire (and that mech has less armor than a stock Locust, it needs those doors shut). To test: Watch in third person, replace with regular SRMs on testing grounds and do it without firing the LRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users