East Coast Gets The Shaft On New Cf Times

92 replies to this topic

#41 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

I can't get what I want! This is a travesty!

Posted Image

#42 BlakeAteIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

And if it's no good, it's not like they can't change it again.

#43 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

Being only able to play two to three times a week is what you can contribute and there is nothing wrong with that, but should those that play every night or even four to five times a week be penalized for it??

They aren't being penalized. They will be on for those times, and much more doing most of the work. Ergo, no penalty.

Drawing a planets outcome over a three day period would create a situation of stagnation.

Not at all. We've had battles rage over 4-5 days already on the Marik/Davion border constantly flipping back and forth or being held. With this, nothing will change.

Some factions/clans have a huge NA presence

ALL factions have primarily an NA presence.

The constant back and forth of the changing of the planets throughout the CF's should prove interesting

It will significantly favor large populations that can spam planets and get easy victories with ghost drops and cause factions to lose up to 21 planets in a week. This would wipe out Liao or a small clan in 2-3 weeks tops.

Aka, not even a close to smart concept.

#44 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

I think the main problem is the over-importance of the last hour or so of CW play, which means pushing back the clock an hour has an unrealistic impact on the outcomes of battles. Many units simply don't fight earlier in the CW window because they feel their efforts won't have importance, and you end up with people in earlier timezones who can't be active near the end window appearing as though they lack commitment because their real life commitments prevent them from staying up till 1:00 AM.

A better system would have been to have each CW window be on a random window that would close unpredictably within a range of the last 4 hours of the CW battle timeframe, say in 15 or 30 minute intervals. That way, any battle fought within that 4-hour period could be the last, and no one would feel any battle during that period would be wasted effort. One day, the fighting might end at 21:15, the next day at 18:30, the next at 22:45. If a Unit tried to game the last hour, they might well find they had put themselves out of the battle entirely (this also is more realistic as a combat Unit well might find they arrive at a warzone too late to affect the outcome).

Of course, why midnight EST wasn't late enough to allow everyone in the US to fight, I don't know.

#45 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostJakob Knight, on 08 January 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

I think the main problem is the over-importance of the last hour or so of CW play, which means pushing back the clock an hour has an unrealistic impact on the outcomes of battles. Many units simply don't fight earlier in the CW window because they feel their efforts won't have importance, and you end up with people in earlier timezones who can't be active near the end window appearing as though they lack commitment because their real life commitments prevent them from staying up till 1:00 AM.

A better system would have been to have each CW window be on a random window that would close unpredictably within a range of the last 4 hours of the CW battle timeframe, say in 15 or 30 minute intervals. That way, any battle fought within that 4-hour period could be the last, and no one would feel any battle during that period would be wasted effort. One day, the fighting might end at 21:15, the next day at 18:30, the next at 22:45. If a Unit tried to game the last hour, they might well find they had put themselves out of the battle entirely (this also is more realistic as a combat Unit well might find they arrive at a warzone too late to affect the outcome).

Of course, why midnight EST wasn't late enough to allow everyone in the US to fight, I don't know.

Which is why a best '2 out of 3' method with 3 cease fires would be better.

#46 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 January 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Which is why a best '2 out of 3' method with 3 cease fires would be better.

No, because you have a great chance to invalidate the 3rd shift, because if the planet is already decided by then, there is no point in them even queueing up.

EDIT for topicalness:

As for the time zone issues, somebody is ALWAYS getting screwed, no matter what. Time Zones have always been the bane of every MMO.

For example, right now, I'm screwed by the time that the CF runs because if I want to play a different game w/ some East Coast friends, I currently have to leave it early in order to get in on the last hour prior to the CF. So, nobody is happy (My East Coast friends for leaving the group early, and my MWO friends for showing up late when they could have used me).

Time Zones. I say we NERF them.

Edited by Roadbeer, 08 January 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#47 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 08 January 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

No, because you have a great chance to invalidate the 3rd shift, because if the planet is already decided by then, there is no point in them even queueing up.

EDIT for topicalness:

As for the time zone issues, somebody is ALWAYS getting screwed, no matter what. Time Zones have always been the bane of every MMO.

For example, right now, I'm screwed by the time that the CF runs because if I want to play a different game w/ some East Coast friends, I currently have to leave it early in order to get in on the last hour prior to the CF. So, nobody is happy (My East Coast friends for leaving the group early, and my MWO friends for showing up late when they could have used me).

Time Zones. I say we NERF them.

That's why if you do take a planet in 2 straight shifts, you move planets and the tiebreaker moves 8 hours too.

#48 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 January 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

That's why if you do take a planet in 2 straight shifts, you move planets and the tiebreaker moves 8 hours too.

Just stop there and take the road all the way to the stop sign.

Someone is ALWAYS going to get screwed in that scenario. Every damn time.

Edited by Roadbeer, 08 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#49 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

I still do not get how PGI cannot work out a way to number crunch during a random cease fire.

Planet ALPHA under attack.......next 24-36 hours crucial for defence/attack...cease fire called after 18 hours of fighting

Planet BRAVO under attack...next 12-48 hours crucial for attack/defence...ceasefire called after 35 hours of fighting.

Numbers crunched......

Planet ALPHA lost to attackers....total wins/losses in favour of attacker in 18 hour window

Planet BRAVO defended successfully.........total defensive wins out way attack wins by 20%

Both ceasefire times randomly called by computer or a PGI guy walking past a BIG RED BUTTON, means that no-one can plan out and dictate the outcome other than to throw forces at a planet in the hope they do enough damage to the enemy to win the planet.

even the amount of wins can have a hidden number PGI can set before it flips (Alpha needed 35% difference, but Bravo only 20%)

seems a lot better than sticking to SET times for ceasefires (or do PGI not work shifts).

Edited by Bulvar Jorgensson, 08 January 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#50 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Jesus, you guys want to make **** unnecessarily complicated.

Rube Goldberg much?

#51 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 07 January 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Dear Russ,

1:00 AM is not in any way, shape, or form, a good time for East Coast US players to end their gaming day! This new 1:00 AM CF time excludes every responsible player who works a day-shift job that lives on the US East Coast. I can assure you that I will not spend another penny on MWO if the CW CF time remains at 1:00 AM. I assume there are more than a few players generating revenue for MWO that live on the US East Coast and work first shift who would not stay up to play a game until 12:20 PM, even if they like it. It would be similar to buying a fitness club membership for a gym that is only open when you are sleeping.

GV

UPDATE:

Simple solution...three, 9 hour CF times...this keeps the rotation moving each day for everyone.

um , i hear you, but No. 11 pm is smack dab in the middle of MY east coast playing time. Im no spring chicken , work and get up any time between 530 n 630.
I mean really , is this game marketed to the florida crowd?
I didnt even get a drop last night, try to play , get a ghost drop , then its 1040, well that means THATS it, since all the grandpas go to bed. Not much going on @ 1145pm est. Then again, I guess thats the rest of the world too. So sad..
What is even the point of the ceasefire?

#52 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

If planets were live and you removed/limited ghost drops any time we played it would be worth something. Remove this time zone junk.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 08 January 2015 - 04:03 PM.

#53 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

We can all agree that not everyone is going to be happy and it is impossible to do so.. While yes there are back and forths between planets , there will always be that.

Fact. Some factions have a higher European population, some have a higher Asian/Oceanic population during different times of the day.. I know for a fact that Liao have a ton of factions that are European, more so than that are on during the NA time zones. I am pretty sure that Kurita is the same way. So by involving them and actually giving them some satisfaction of taking a planet , it might generate more people from those time zones to actually play CW.

Sure there are still some issues with CW, but I will say this again. It is a good first step.

#54 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 08 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Just stop there and take the road all the way to the stop sign.

Someone is ALWAYS going to get screwed in that scenario. Every damn time.

Yeah, I know that...

There is no perfect system, but there are only ways of being LESS unfair. :) That's what I'm looking at.

#55 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

What if they just do a cease fire every 9 hours and have a 30 minute cease fire?

Example in EST as it's what I know best.

8am to 5pm - (30 minute cease fire) - 5:30pm to 2:30am - (30 minute cease fire) - 3am to 12pm (30 minute cease fire) - 12:30pm to 9:30 pm - (30 minute cease fire) - 10pm to 7am - (30 minute cease fire) - 7:30am to 4:30pm - (30 minute cease fire) - 5pm to 2am and so on and so on.

Something like this would keep the cease fire moving to a different time while making the cease fire end on the hour or half hour every other cease fire.

This option rotates the cease fire so everyone in the world (at some point) can partake in closing out a planet or two. But doesn't rotate it too fast so that everyone can still partake and mater in a few rotations.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 08 January 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#56 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 08 January 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

What if they just do a cease fire every 9 hours and have a 30 minute cease fire?

Example in EST as it's what I know best.

8am to 5pm - (30 minute cease fire) - 5:30pm to 2:30am - (30 minute cease fire) - 3am to 12pm (30 minute cease fire) - 12:30pm to 9:30 pm - (30 minute cease fire) - 10pm to 7am - (30 minute cease fire) - 7:30am to 4:30pm - (30 minute cease fire) - 5pm to 2am and so on and so on.

Something like this would keep the cease fire moving to a different time while making the cease fire end on the hour or half hour every other cease fire.
If you do this my work isn't going to be happy when I show up later and later for work

#57 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 January 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Yeah, I know that...

There is no perfect system, but there are only ways of being LESS unfair. :) That's what I'm looking at.

So, what's unfair about the system that's coming? Some people on the East cost have to decide if they're going to stay up an extra hour to see the planet resolve?
I lose 2.5 hours of CW gaming because of where the CF falls now, CF + the 2 hours after where you have a hard time getting 12 because the next 19 hours are pointless.

Nobody made a big deal about that, but add an hour to the East Coast players and all of a sudden, there's a couple threads with Rube Goldberg solutions to a problem that isn't REALLY a problem.

#58 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 January 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

If you do this my work isn't going to be happy when I show up later and later for work
but you also be able at times to get up early and catch the end of a rotation or even at times catch one before or after you get off work, depends on what day and when one ends because of the hour/half hour switch every other. This option I think makes it fair to all around the world as it's always rotating so we all have days where we can really matter of days where we may "just" miss the end of a rotation.

#59 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 08 January 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

but you also be able at times to get up early and catch the end of a rotation or even at times catch one before or after you get off work, depends on what day and when one ends because of the hour/half hour switch every other. This option I think makes it fair to all around the world as it's always rotating so we all have days where we can really matter of days where we may "just" miss the end of a rotation.
I would be fine with it. Really I'm ok with most stuff I work 3-13hour days where I don't play and I have 4days to play. If my faction/team wants to fight early I will get up in the morning. If they want to shoot for late games I will stay up. What I want to see more than anything is a fix for the reason people feel playing not at the end of the time wasn't worth doing.

Gizzly, reven if you went to bed early everything you did up to that point helped us. I will get up early if you want to hit morning games Sunday to Wednesday.

#60 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 08 January 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

So, what's unfair about the system that's coming? Some people on the East cost have to decide if they're going to stay up an extra hour to see the planet resolve?
I lose 2.5 hours of CW gaming because of where the CF falls now, CF + the 2 hours after where you have a hard time getting 12 because the next 19 hours are pointless.

Nobody made a big deal about that, but add an hour to the East Coast players and all of a sudden, there's a couple threads with Rube Goldberg solutions to a problem that isn't REALLY a problem.

heheheheh easy to say from the left coast Road. See my 9x9 post...it's a better solution.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users