97 replies to this topic

#21 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

View PostArnold Carns, on 24 November 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

Excellent survey. I hope THIS devs listen (unlike them which created that MW4/Mers... crap). But asking a BattleTech-Fan WHICH Mech should make it into the game is a waste of time: ALL is the only possible answer ;) :D

Not true! Because nobody besides me seems to like the Mackie :unsure:

#22 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

View PostMr. Smiles, on 24 November 2011 - 07:46 AM, said:

Not true! Because nobody besides me seems to like the Mackie ;)

You can have your Mackie, but it's a walking salvage bot in this time period's era of tech. I'm not letting a Mackie pilot on my teams, I don't need a liability, lol

#23 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

The only problem I have this this survey is when you ask about clan mechs. Clans have not invaded yet.

#24 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

View PostBlack Sunder, on 24 November 2011 - 07:56 AM, said:

The only problem I have this this survey is when you ask about clan mechs. Clans have not invaded yet.

So? In a year and a half (ish) they will, and it's going to happen.

Letting the dev's know now what we want is better then waiting for later.

#25 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

Since we don't even know how they are going to handle the clans it seems a bit premature to even speculate at this point in time. Hell we don't even know the mechanics of the game yet to even begin to debate them.

#26 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

View PostBlack Sunder, on 24 November 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

Since we don't even know how they are going to handle the clans it seems a bit premature to even speculate at this point in time. Hell we don't even know the mechanics of the game yet to even begin to debate them.

*shrug*

That really hasn't stopped these forums from being a torrent of suggestions and nitpicks.

In any case, I don't know why people always say "We don't even know the mechanics!" when the developers have, in several forums and in announcements and interviews and whatnot, mentioned or alluded to quite a LOT of the mechanics.

#27 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

View PostMr. Smiles, on 24 November 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

*shrug*

That really hasn't stopped these forums from being a torrent of suggestions and nitpicks.

In any case, I don't know why people always say "We don't even know the mechanics!" when the developers have, in several forums and in announcements and interviews and whatnot, mentioned or alluded to quite a LOT of the mechanics.

Because vagueness breeds speculation and unfounded hype. When that speculation and hype don't match up with what the game actually has then people become very disappointed.

#28 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Done and Thanks. Perhaps some better grouping of questions would have found some redundancies. Ex.

How many IS Mechs should face off against a Star?

then later

How many IS Mechs in a group should be used a against a Clan group. (LOTS What constitutes LOTS?) That question was asked already for all intense and purpose.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 24 November 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#29 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 24 November 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

Done and Thanks. Perhaps some better grouping of questions would have found some redundancies. Ex.

How many IS Mechs should face off against a Star?

then later

How many IS Mechs in a group should be used a against a Clan group. (LOTS What constitutes LOTS?) That question was asked already for all intense and purpose.

Some redundancy for questions is usually preferable, especially if the questions approach the issue at different angles. For various reasons, the answer to one question might not mean what you think it means, so if you have two similar questions, the probability of you understanding what the community's opinion is increases.

#30 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostArnold Carns, on 24 November 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

Excellent survey. I hope THIS devs listen (unlike them which created that MW4/Mers... crap). But asking a BattleTech-Fan WHICH Mech should make it into the game is a waste of time: ALL is the only possible answer ;) :D

Yeah, you can't be a battletech fan and don't want to have all the mechs. :unsure:

#31 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

And we hit 100 full respondents! About 50% of all people who start a survey (which involves just clicking the link even if you don't hit the 'next' button or choose any options) finish it. Which is pretty good, considering.

If we get 1,000 respondents, that'll be an amazing cross section of the community, one worthy of an analysis!

...now it's 101! ;)

View PostAdridos, on 24 November 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yeah, you can't be a battletech fan and don't want to have all the mechs. :unsure:

Survey says otherwise :D There are generally three tiers of 'Mechs in the survey results: those everyone wants, those almost everyonewants (but like 5-10% don't), and those only most people want (but like 30-40 percent don't).

Hopefully that information will be really useful. Piranha Games has a limited art budget, so being able to say "These 'Mechs are the ones people want above all others! These 'Mechs are the ones everyone can agree they want!" will probably be helpful when they decide which 'Mech to model next--both during development and when they're releasing content after launch.

#32 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

There are just mechs you would sacrifice to get your favorites. If it was deciding between getting all the mechs and getting just part of them, everybody would choose all, but it now just gives you numbers on popularity of mechs and which should, or shouldn't be implemented for the sake of others.

#33 Grave

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

Just one slight nitpick...some of us have much faster internet connections than 10000 Kbps...(10Mbps)

< currently running 30.0 Mbps....

#34 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

View PostGrave, on 24 November 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

Just one slight nitpick...some of us have much faster internet connections than 10000 Kbps...(10Mbps)

< currently running 30.0 Mbps....

Well you pick 10Mbps and go on, no need to tell it to the rest of the world. ;)

#35 Grave

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

You're also off on the tonnage of some mechs, as well as their relative levels of availability circa 3048.

#36 Grave

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostAdridos, on 24 November 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

Well you pick 10Mbps and go on, no need to tell it to the rest of the world. :D

I was just giving an example. The market I live in currently has wide access to your highest level of service listed, so maybe an option for "greater than 10000 Kbps" would be appropriate.

You want to give the devs and the community an accurate picture, there's a very wide margin of difference between a 10 meg connection and a 20 or 30 meg connection. Trust me ;)

#37 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

View PostGrave, on 24 November 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

I was just giving an example. The market I live in currently has wide access to your highest level of service listed, so maybe an option for "greater than 10000 Kbps" would be appropriate.

You want to give the devs and the community an accurate picture, there's a very wide margin of difference between a 10 meg connection and a 20 or 30 meg connection. Trust me ;)

Well, yes, but if Coreans have 300MBps connection speeds, the devs will still optimize the latency for the not so advanced users.

#38 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

View PostGrave, on 24 November 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

It doesn't matter once you hit the Server. Once the Instance starts, it is the Lowest man dictates. To prevent that, you have to weed out the slow or make sure everyone has the same Min speed. ( I have a Fiber Optic connection so I know where your coming from)

#39 Rustic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCastile Central HQ

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

Done. Good survey

View PostMr. Smiles, on 24 November 2011 - 07:46 AM, said:

Not true! Because nobody besides me seems to like the Mackie ;)

Now that you say it, there is a distinct lack of Mackie. 19 tons of armor, PPC and AC20 armed museum piece For The Win.

#40 Kallian Ryke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKelowna, British Columbia

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Good survey. Very thorough.

A lot of people have commented on the number of preferred mech choices. I believe his intent was for you to pick the ones you would prefer to see at launch - it isn't exactly feasible to expect all of those, so if you picked the ones you wanted in the game specifically (the Cauldron Born has a special place in my heart), pick those and bring their averages up in the votes.

<edit>
Well, I shoulda read this:

View PostMr. Smiles, on 24 November 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

<snip>

Survey says otherwise ;) There are generally three tiers of 'Mechs in the survey results: those everyone wants, those almost everyonewants (but like 5-10% don't), and those only most people want (but like 30-40 percent don't).

Hopefully that information will be really useful. Piranha Games has a limited art budget, so being able to say "These 'Mechs are the ones people want above all others! These 'Mechs are the ones everyone can agree they want!" will probably be helpful when they decide which 'Mech to model next--both during development and when they're releasing content after launch.

Good to see it is being used that way instead of just "I want them all" every time.

Edited by Kallian Ryke, 24 November 2011 - 11:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users