36 replies to this topic

#21 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

You may not realize it, but this build is a blast to play.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad76ac350318847

The 20LRMs give it great tactical flexibility. You can play the long game, sit back and soften up targets for a little while, but then when the time is ripe, charge in and clean house. The BLR is generally VERY friendly to the large XL engines, particularly if you can roll damage. Here's an example of the level of chaos you can unleash.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostEscef, on 10 March 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

If you drop in endo steel and ferro armor, cut the head to 17 and the legs to 69, and cut the command console, you can up the engine to a standard 375. That's remarkable speed for a standard engine BLR.

So I took your advice, and crammed in that 375... and WOW! she's so fast for an assault, it's kind of mind blowing, also feels way more mobile than my elited Warhawks...

#23 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 12 March 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

So I took your advice, and crammed in that 375... and WOW! she's so fast for an assault, it's kind of mind blowing, also feels way more mobile than my elited Warhawks...

Oh, yeah. I run 375XLs in 2 of my BLRs (Hellslinger and 1D) and they're pretty swift. I run 400XLs in 3 of my BLRs (1G, 3M, and 3S) and they motor. (My 1S LRM boat is only rocking a 340XL.) When I looked at your initial design my first thought was that you had more than enough crits for endo, and then I realized you could stuff in ferro, and from there my mind was blown with the realization that you could actually cram that big of a standard engine in there.

Honestly, I think your build is a little under-gunned (not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable) and vulnerable to being caught at range, but that combination of speed and standard engine on a Battlemaster is pretty much unheard of. I wager you get a lot of people trying to focus down one of your side torsos expecting you have an XL.

#24 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostEscef, on 12 March 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Oh, yeah. I run 375XLs in 2 of my BLRs (Hellslinger and 1D) and they're pretty swift. I run 400XLs in 3 of my BLRs (1G, 3M, and 3S) and they motor. (My 1S LRM boat is only rocking a 340XL.) When I looked at your initial design my first thought was that you had more than enough crits for endo, and then I realized you could stuff in ferro, and from there my mind was blown with the realization that you could actually cram that big of a standard engine in there.

Honestly, I think your build is a little under-gunned (not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable) and vulnerable to being caught at range, but that combination of speed and standard engine on a Battlemaster is pretty much unheard of. I wager you get a lot of people trying to focus down one of your side torsos expecting you have an XL.

Yup, I always lose a ST first, and draw a ton of fire away from the other Assaults... So win, I guess? I usually die, do about 3/400 damage.... But since I'm still working on basics, that's fine by me.

#25 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

ok guys,

I am looking at purchasing 3 Battlemasters sometime soon (hopefully with a sale) and am seeking advice on which variants to purchase. I know I will be looking at at least 32 million (non sale) which includes DHS and other upgrades. I have a huge selection of engines, modules and weapons already in hand.

Happy to build to quirks.

I definitely enjoy lasers (go the pulse) and have never been in to using LRMs. I also love my Banshee 3 x AC5and am use to the face time required for such a beast.

I play CW as well as solo pugging.

Is the Hellsinger worth a look if I am happy to wait for a sale?

Anyhow, give me your thoughts knowing that CBill costs are not a problem.

The 3S seems popular but if there is a variant you would avoid feel free to let me know as well.

Cheers!
Eboli

#26 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

@Eboli: I have all six and have recently mastered all but the 3M/3S (loaded up yesterday). The 1G was fun with a rack of MLs and ballistics, the 1D was ok, but my star was the 1S which I built with a STD335 and 4LPL. With the energy and range quirks, it was a beast. I liked it so much and found it so nasty especially in PUGs I bought a Hellslinger for a CB printer to run the same build. You give up some range but have better beat disippation vs the 1S. If you like big WUB, I recommend it. Unlike many assaults, you won't get left in solo drops and with big shield arms and a STD, when I do die (rare, my KDR is pushing five though in <50 games so far) I tend to die under 30% health. Some folks like XLs in BLRs but I find it fast enough and prefer the tankiness.

Edited by Terciel1976, 15 April 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#27 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Hey there Terciel1976,

Many thanks for your time in replying. Looks like the 1S and Hellslinger are definitely worth looking at.

Will hold off for some other views at the moment and your opinion is truly appreciated.

Cheers!
Eboli

Edited by Eboli, 15 April 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#28 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

3 most highly recommended BLRs? Hmmm...

1S - Of all the BLRs this one stands out as THE missile carrier of choice, due to the 4 hardpoints with decent tube restrictions. Because of the tendency to favor the missile points, it also has strong laser quirks.

1D - Ballistic velocity quirk is pretty nice if you want to put an AC10 in the left arm. Reasonably good generic energy quirks, but I've found that if you don't want to capitalize on that triple ballistic arm than you are probably better off with another Battlemaster.

1G - The limited torso twist is a mark against it, but it has a good mix of generic energy and ballistic quirks.

3M - Like it's 1G cousin, the torso twist is Stalker-esque. Drops the 1G's ballistic quirks for more energy quirks and a nice ERPPC velocity quirk. Might be good for 2-4 ERPPCs in the shoulders for sniping, but that's very heat intense.

3S - I can't really recommend this one over any of the others. She's really the weak one in the family.

Hellslinger/GHE - The torso twist is slightly nerfed, but not as badly as the 1G and 3M. Good generic energy quirks, rocks LPLs lke a boss. Not as badly impacted by the heat in Therma or Tourmaline, but benefits less from the cold in Frozen City and Alpine.

Overall, I think I can recommend the 1S, 1G, and (to my surprise) the Hellslinger. However, assault class heroes are rather expensive (picked up my Hellslinger when it was on sale back around Halloween), so I'd really think about waiting for a sale or going for a 1D or 3M instead.

#29 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I bought a -3M to use specifically as a PPFLD alpha-knight. Generally I avoid PPFLD, I find it quite dull. But having lower-actuated arms? With 2E & 1B? That's better for high PPFLD alphas than the -1G's 2B+1E, since E weighs less than B. And on an assault 'Mech to boot? Oh yes.

2 PPCs/ERPPCs (to taste) and either an AC-10 for better reaction time and a projectile speed closer to the PPCs', or a Gauss for slightly higher alpha at the expense of sending it all downrange in one block of damage. The other 6 energy points, either SLs or MLs, engine whatever.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 15 April 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#30 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostEboli, on 15 April 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Hey there Terciel1976,

Many thanks for your time in replying. Looks like the 1S and Hellslinger are definitely worth looking at.

Will hold off for some other views at the moment and your opinion is truly appreciated.

Cheers!
Eboli

3M is also a excellent choice since outfitting it is cheap (you only need endosteel to do 2 LPL 6 ML with the stock STD340 engine)

#31 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:51 AM

LPL is the way to go with the 3M. Use small lasers to fill the belly hardpoints and push LPLs up to the shoulders. Then either go with a big STD and fewer LPLs (STD340 4LPL) or more LPLs but a big XL instead (5LPL XL380 or 4LPL XL400).

#32 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

I use two specific builds for my 3M.

8 MPL's and a gauss on a endo frame with XL350 (73.6 with speedboost) (6 heatsinks in total - 4 inside 2 outside). Not entirely flexible since the MPL's require you to be pretty much up in their face to melt it off, but the gauss gives that extra bit of touch of range.

Or you can strip the 8 MPLs, toss in 6 ML's and 2 LL and the damage output is the same in theory (63 alpha on both). Way more flexible to deal damage from range, add on a ML range upgrade and your hitting anything from 351m for full damage. Also alot easier to manage heat as you can fire off the gauss and either 2LL's or a trips of MLs.

Downside is both are pretty bad at getting rid of heat. 1.14 for the 8MPL's and 1.06 for the 6ML and 2LL build.

#33 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

View PostCryll Ankiseth, on 05 May 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

Downside is both are pretty bad at getting rid of heat. 1.14 for the 8MPL's and 1.06 for the 6ML and 2LL build.

I've got 2 right now the 1S & 3-M and it seems to me they are all pretty heaty. OTOH for an Assault they move out pretty well, even without an engine up grade.

Looking at either the 1-G or 1-D for my third.

#34 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:16 AM

i can't check my smurfy links to confirm which is the right one, but I run the 3M with xl400, bap, cc, 8mpl and its a solid monster.

#35 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostSonny Black, on 06 May 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:

I've got 2 right now the 1S & 3-M and it seems to me they are all pretty heaty. OTOH for an Assault they move out pretty well, even without an engine up grade.

Looking at either the 1-G or 1-D for my third.

Dang 85 tonner better have one of the best movement specs for an Assault. Would be really sad if they moved like a 100-tonner.

Only reason I like the 3M is because it is IMO the best arch-type for Brawlers/non-misslers. 1 Ballistics hardpoint is really all you need as 2 would mean wasted weight to the additional ammo and how heavy something as simple as an AC/5 is. The 8 laser hardpoints is just icing on the cake as this allows you to go any number of ways in throwing together a decent lightshow.

#36 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

A little while back I was in a CW drop with someone running a 3M with 8 ML and an LBX.
Granted, he dropped that mech last wave, and was going against a lot of mechs that were already beat, but the results were pretty great (I got to watch a good amount of it, after getting killed and having to spectate the end). He had the MLs on chain fire and was able to sequence all of them to strip away remaining armor and then use the LBX for critical killshots.

I'm sure I was basically just treated to a highlight reel, but I still liked the theory, and even tried to recreate it on my Thunderbolt 9S (with 6 ML and an LBX), with occasional success.

#37 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

Built the Wubmaster except I kept the erppc. Ya got the quirk and it is nice to be able to reach out and touch someone.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users