#1 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hey Mechwarriors,

With the sale this weekend for 35% off on certain RPP favored mech, I'm looking at picking up a heavy. I'm down to the two that I like best but I can't make up my mind. Both have things that I want and I'll only have enough c-bill until the end of the sale for one of them. Plus, I have to think about two other varients in order to unlock Master. So, can people look at the two that I've outfitted and tell me the pros and cons plus future sight on two other varients?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...911f3e22005b739

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...75abd0254a7870d

The Thunderbolt looks to hot but it has a -50% ER PPC heat so I'm actually only building up 30 heat vs my 18 heatsinks. I don't know how that works out in gave vs P&P though. Anything that I should change on what I have made up?

Thanks guys for any insight and suggestions.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

"Ghost heat." Also known as heat scale.

4 ER PPCs fired at once: 110.40 heat (50.4 gained as a punishment for doing this).
18 DHS: 30 + 10*2 + 8*1.4 = 61.2 + 20% = 73.44 threshold until shutdown (for an elited mech).

4 ER PPCs - 50% heat = 110.4 / 2 = 50.2 heat. (Probably works more like 60 / 2 = 30 + 50.4 = 80.4 heat). Its doable. But not frequently. Limit it to slugs of 2 ER PPCs at once to avoid all the ghost heat. That way you're slugging 2 ER PPCs and only generating 15 heat at once.

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Both chassis are nice and I personally would limit XL engine use on them for most builds due to their larger ST sizes, they can work, but I personally prefer a bit more survivability that Standard Engines provide for these chassis.

All three Jagers can copy dual Gauss, dual AC/20 and dual AC/10 builds. Pre-quirks I liked using 3 AC/5s with a standard engine for some nice dakka, which only works on the JM6-DD and JM6-S.

The JM6-A can work well with LRMs or SRMs, and depending on the size Launchers, Artemis is often a recommended upgrade, I think it also has the largest arms of the three so that's something to keep in mind if you do not want to use missile weapons.

The Firebrand is nice I've tried various builds on my and I think I've used LLs and ERLLs in the arms the most on mine.

If you are considering the 9S, I would recommend considering 3 ERPPCs, like this build, to get it through Basics and Elite; then it will be easier to try out four on the 9S if you want.

Reason being that Right Torso has those Energy mounts high up and being able to sustain chain-fired ERPPCs can be devastating and distracting to opponents.

With 18 DHS you can both Alpha all three at least once and sustain chain firing them for a sufficient burst to allow you to twist.

One ERPPC is 7.5 heat, two are 15 heat and three ERPPCs should have a heat spike of 31.95 (I usied info from this Command Chair post to create an excel sheet to calculate the heat scale penalty and from what I've found that seems to be the heat spike generated from three ERPPCs on the 9S).

So 31.95 against a heat cap of 61.2, if no Basics is about ~52% of the scale and dissipates 3.12 heat a second. Looking at Smurfy's Weapon Lab shows how the scale will increase up to 73.44 capacity and 3.59 dissipation with Basics and then the 2x Elite bonus.

I haven't tried the 9S with ERPPCs myself, but I've seen others use it very effectively in matches.

So the TDR-5SS and 9SE have quirks for MPLs and LPLs respectively, very nice if you like the wub.

So the overall choice could be boiled down to whether you like dakka or wub more!

#4 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostScum of the Earth, on 09 January 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Hey Mechwarriors,

With the sale this weekend for 35% off on certain RPP favored mech, I'm looking at picking up a heavy. I'm down to the two that I like best but I can't make up my mind. Both have things that I want and I'll only have enough c-bill until the end of the sale for one of them. Plus, I have to think about two other varients in order to unlock Master. So, can people look at the two that I've outfitted and tell me the pros and cons plus future sight on two other varients?

The Thunderbolt looks to hot but it has a -50% ER PPC heat so I'm actually only building up 30 heat vs my 18 heatsinks. I don't know how that works out in gave vs P&P though. Anything that I should change on what I have made up?

First off, both are generally considered pretty good mechs overall with multiple variants that are decent.

That said, in response to your build question specifically. The Thunderbolt is way too hot. Mostly that mech is run with 3 ER PPC or occasionally 2 er ppc and some med lasers and maybe missiles to back it up. Good rule of thumb with smurfy is that you want to be no lower than 30% and usually closer to 40% on the heat scale.

As for the dual gauss jager... way too light on the ammo, I would want at least 25 shots per gun and 40 would be better.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

I am having great fun in a TDR-9S, and indeed got my record best damage in it last week (879), this was the first time I got past 650 in any Mech other than the Timber Wolf. I tried that 4 ERPPC build and the popular 3 ERPPC build, both were too hot for me so I am using this:
https://onedrive.liv...int=photo%2cjpg
for some strange reason I could not build this on Smurfy, it said I was half a ton short.

as for the Jagermech I have run one very close to that build, mine had only 2 MLs and less armor on the legs but an extra 3 ton of Gauss ammo, that was my most effective JM6 build.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

I run my 9S with 3 ERPPCs, fun times.

#7 J-Pax7

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMalta

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

The 9S is probabaly the best Chassis out there due to the PPC quirks however it seems likely to me that it might get nerfed for balancing reasons so if you go for that you should be mindful of this.

The Jager is my favorite mech and certainly recomend it. I run my JM6-S with AC 10s personsally and it is by far my most used mech. Its great fun and though not having elbows the high mounted arm weapons are its best feature.

Edit: PS: I find the Jager to be a no go for XL and would advise against it. This is my build;
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3191fc8cf28c26f

Edited by Paul Crux, 10 January 2015 - 04:27 AM.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostScum of the Earth, on 09 January 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Hey Mechwarriors,

Both solid chassis, both flawed builds. So, good buys, but need some adjustments.

On the JM6, I'd lose at least two ML for ammo and, if you're good with gauss, maybe all four. Also, unless you own an XL250, there's no reason to use one. It's the same weight as the XL255 (an excellent and widely used engine).

On the TDR-9S, the XL and that much heat are both mistakes. The standard build that is dominant in CW right now runs three ERPPC (all torso, 2R, 1L) and a STD270. For public queue, making it asymmetric and mounting one in the right arm has some merit.

Finally, I cannot recommend strongly enough that whatever chassis you pick, you get three of. The efficiencies make such a huge difference in the mech's performance this is always worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users