#221 Hardin4188

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 03 February 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Shot with my very crap LG Optimus Fuel in 800x600.
Shot it with the phone instead of screen cap so no one can say Im cheating.

I had my cpu OC numbers wrong its only clocked to 3.6

Like I said before find me an intel based rig that can do this sub $500

Congratulations, you can run the game at 1360x768. Let's assume though for future reference, that most people building a new computer would want to play on a modern resolution such as 1920x1080 or even 2560x1440. So please do not show us your phone video of a match with no framerates and only a cpu utilization of 30% which only supports the position that this game is not a heavily threaded game.

#222 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:16 AM

Well.

If were talking price performance.

A10 7850k at micro center + free motherboard comes with built in R7 gets 24-32 frames a second 129$ this month. add 80 in ram
56 128gig ssd
50 Power supply
50 case
$356 Total cost

No I paid a small amount more (went for the corsair power supply and HTPC case) so about 400 total.

#223 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Wat

#224 Roaxis Stalomainis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

Well, if you don't plan on overclocking and want to go Intel, I would recommend going with the i7-4790 if you have the money. Take my advice and try to stay away from the i7-4790k unless you want to invest in a proper water cooling system to cool your CPU (280mm Radiator at the very least). My PC was designed and intended to be used for more than just playing games, but it has more than enough power for me to run multiple games at once (although the RAM does need to be replaced soon due to the low stock speeds, only bottleneck on my system).
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790k w/ Corsair H80i Water Cooler
  • GPU: Zotac Nvidia GTX 980 Amp Extreme Edition 4GB GDDR5
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero LGA 1150 z97 chipset
  • RAM: Generic PC1333 Adata
  • SSD: Samsung 512GB 800 Series Data Center Edition
  • HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD
Now, before too many pick on this and say it's a flawed build I would like to say I'm using this as his baseline to choose a build and what is needed to get a solid foundation and idea as to what he will spend on his gaming rig. The problem with the economical builds is that most of them do not have proper cooling (Ex: Newer Alienware PC's). I had to purchase an additional 4 fans for my case because it only came with one fan installed on the rear mount. As for the rest of the PC itself the Ram could be upgraded to PC 1866 of your preferred brand with a minimum of 8GB of Ram, recommended 16GB+ if you want to do intense gaming or industrial applications. The HDD's are ok, you could go with a smaller SSD if you prefer, just remember to only keep critical programs installed on the SSD such as Antivirus and Firewall (or your Internet Secirutiy package if you have one) along with your Operating System. One of the major tasks you will have to do is to either turn off your page file or move it to another hard drive so that it reduces the wear and tear on your SSD. Then when it comes to the GPU we're going to look at something on the lower end scale, my GPU ran me approximately $610 before Shipping and Handling charges were applied. I would also recommend a case with extremely good airflow management, possibly a Titan v2 or higher. I currently have this card installed in a Mid-Size tower that barely has enough clarence to permit the card to be installed. At the same time you could go with a GTX 960 and be well set on your graphics card for only $210 or so. The motherboard that I currently have has a shielded version as well, so you can get that instead of the one I got with the only difference is that it looks better and has slightly better heat dissapation in comparison to the standard model (not worth the money in terms of the cooling performance). The largest kink in my system would be the cooling for the CPU. It's debatable in regards as to wether it's better to go with air cooling vs water cooling. I combine both to keep the GPU and CPU nice and cool with proper airflow intake and output. The Corsair H80i, for those who don't already know, is insufficient to cool the i7-4790k on it's factory clock settings. It has hit temperatures up to 70c in the past and has falied to meet my standards in cooling performance. I will be replacing this with a 280mm water cooling system as it's already showing signs of the water pump failing prematurely. Also, water cooling as an absolute necessity for me due to the fact that I can be running multiple VM's with Autocad and other CNC software loaded on my machine at that given time. The i7-4790 will be better for an air cooled system rather than it's unlocked big brother. While my system has several flaws that can be improved I do believe in sharing what I've experienced to help others learn and gain a better understanding of thier systems when they go about building it.

Edit: Typos

Edited by Roaxis Stalomainis, 03 February 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#225 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostRoaxis Stalomainis, on 03 February 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Well, if you don't plan on overclocking and want to go Intel, I would recommend going with the i7-4790 if you have the money. Take my advice and try to stay away from the i7-4790k unless you want to invest in a proper water cooling system to cool your CPU (280mm Radiator at the very least). My PC was designed and intended to be used for more than just playing games, but it has more than enough power for me to run multiple games at once (although the RAM does need to be replaced soon due to the low stock speeds, only bottleneck on my system).
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790k w/ Corsair H80i Water Cooler
  • GPU: Zotac Nvidia GTX 980 Amp Extreme Edition 4GB GDDR5
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero LGA 1150 z97 chipset
  • RAM: Generic PC1333 Adata
  • SSD: Samsung 512GB 800 Series Data Center Edition
  • HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD
Now, before too many pick on this and say it's a flawed build I would like to say I'm using this as his baseline to choose a build and what is needed to get a solid foundation and idea as to what he will spend on his gaming rig. The problem with the economical builds is that most of them do not have proper cooling (Ex: Newer Alienware PC's). I had to purchase an additional 4 fans for my case because it only came with one fan installed on the rear mount. As for the rest of the PC itself the Ram could be upgraded to PC 1866 of your preferred brand with a minimum of 8GB of Ram, recommended 16GB+ if you want to do intense gaming or industrial applications. The HDD's are ok, you could go with a smaller SSD if you prefer, just remember to only keep critical programs installed on the SSD such as Antivirus and Firewall (or your Internet Secirutiy package if you have one) along with your Operating System. One of the major tasks you will have to do is to either turn off your page file or move it to another hard drive so that it reduces the wear and tear on your SSD. Then when it comes to the GPU we're going to look at something on the lower end scale, my GPU ran me approximately $610 before Shipping and Handling charges were applied. I would also recommend a case with extremely good airflow management, possibly a Titan v2 or higher. I currently have this card installed in a Mid-Size tower that barely has enough clarence to permit the card to be installed. At the same time you could go with a GTX 960 and be well set on your graphics card for only $210 or so. The motherboard that I currently have has a shielded version as well, so you can get that instead of the one I got with the only difference is that it looks better and has slightly better heat dissapation in comparison to the standard model (not worth the money in terms of the cooling performance). The largest kink in my system would be the cooling for the CPU. It's debatable in regards as to wether it's better to go with air cooling vs water cooling. I combine both to keep the GPU and CPU nice and cool with proper airflow intake and output. The Corsair H80i, for those who don't already know, is insufficient to cool the i7-4790k on it's factory clock settings. It has hit temperatures up to 70c in the past and has falied to meet my standards in cooling performance. I will be replacing this with a 280mm water cooling system as it's already showing signs of the water pump failing prematurely. Also, water cooling as an absolute necessity for me due to the fact that I can be running multiple VM's with Autocad and other CNC software loaded on my machine at that given time. The i7-4790 will be better for an air cooled system rather than it's unlocked big brother. While my system has several flaws that can be improved I do believe in sharing what I've experienced to help others learn and gain a better understanding of thier systems when they go about building it.

Edit: Typos

View PostGoose, on 03 February 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Wat

....when did these boards become open immigration...

Edited by DV McKenna, 03 February 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#226 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostLord Marauder, on 03 February 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

So who here uses non-Intel biased benchmarks and uses their computer for things other than games? Also can objectively compare CPU performance by running other than one fat constipated obsolete Windoze? I hear a lot of power gaming whining and a lot of conjecture, little reality. The bottom line is unless you are willing to spend $500 or more on a CPU you get a better performance to price ratio with AMD. Until you get the big iron type Intel chips they are overpriced. I have used both for gaming, servers, and compiling lots of software. The caveats about AMD were true but not anymore. In the last couple of years they have gone through the pain of losing market share and focusing on redesigning architecture for the future. Soon it will be the Athlon vs P4 era. AMD back on top and Intel being the constipated fat cat it really is.

Those who talk about top-tier performance don't usually talk about bang vs buck. You seem to think they're the same thing. They're not. Furthermore, no matter what arena you're in, Haswell smokes Piledriver. Anybody who isn't delusional and can comprehend basic graphs on the internet knows this. It doesn't matter which OS.

For MWO, we've already tested it to death. MWO loves CPU power. Intel has more. MWO therefore loves Intel chips. It's really that simple.

#227 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 03 February 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Shot with my very crap LG Optimus Fuel in 800x600.
Shot it with the phone instead of screen cap so no one can say Im cheating.

I had my cpu OC numbers wrong its only clocked to 3.6

Like I said before find me an intel based rig that can do this sub $500

So you not only have a lousy CPU, but a lousy CPU the game can't utilize? Congrats?

You're right, I couldn't achieve that with nearly $500 on a modern Intel rig, because a G3258 or a good i3 would be utilized.

View PostxWiredx, on 03 February 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

Those who talk about top-tier performance don't usually talk about bang vs buck.

I do, granted at two years old my rig has fallen a smidge behind the top end. And you know what? There's still really not much room for AMD consideration right now. I'll buy their GPUs any day, but their CPUs? PSHHHHHH

Edited by Catamount, 03 February 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#228 Kill Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

I just upgraded my rig with an Intel i5 4690K, 16GB of RAM and a Gigabyte Z97X motherboard and MWO is a constant 60-70fps on med/high settings and I haven't bothered to start tweaking it yet (other than immediately turning off film grain and cockpit glass).

Microcenter has got some bundles going on now that are a good deal, the 4690k is $199, can't hardly beat that on a CPU that will last 5 years.

eta: total upgrade cost was about 300-400 with tax etc, you could pull it off cheaper with 8GB of RAN and a cheaper MB

Edited by Kill Dozer, 03 February 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#229 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostRoaxis Stalomainis, on 03 February 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

things about i7 and cooling with an h80i

While this probably belongs in another conversation, you might want to check your backplate on that h80i. It should be more than capable of cooling any Socket 1150 i7. The backplates on these HAVE to be oriented in the proper direction, otherwise you won't get full contact with your CPU. If my h80i can keep my Kaveri from getting even close to its thermal margin (usually stays ~30C away from max temp, depending on ambient...), it should have NO issues cooling even a heavily overclocked i7 - my Kaveri will chomp down around 200W when heavily overclocked.

And if you're concerned about an apples/oranges comparison, my h100i on the i5-3570K usually keeps core temps below 60C (gaming - during a full stress test it's around 80C) with the default fan profile, running at 4.6Ghz/1.4V - does even better with a custom fan curve. Check your backplate! And make sure your pump is running at full speed too - should be, but check just in case :)

BACK TO THE TOPIC:

View PostReiko 1337, on 10 January 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

is AMD worth the cost reduction in a build?im building a new pc next month and was thinking about taking a fx-6300 to save so cash for a more powerful gpu.Also if not overclocking is it worth it to buy a i5 4690,or is a 4670 a better choice?

No. As we've shown, even IF you can find a cost reduction (there's an Intel equivalent that is CHEAPER and BETTER, believe it or not...), you'll still get better performance at the same or better price IN MWO with an Intel CPU.

If you're not overclocking, either i5 would have about the same experience in-game. The 4690 is usually about the same price anyway(?), and gets a slight nod due to its slightly increased base clock speed. Not enough to change the experience, as it'll usually turbo up a bit anyway.

Edited by MercJ, 03 February 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#230 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

View PostKill Dozer, on 03 February 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

I just upgraded my rig with an Intel i5 4690K, 16GB of RAM and a Gigabyte Z97X motherboard and MWO is a constant 60-70fps on med/high settings and I haven't bothered to start tweaking it yet (other than immediately turning off film grain and cockpit glass).

Microcenter has got some bundles going on now that are a good deal, the 4690k is $199, can't hardly beat that on a CPU that will last 5 years.

eta: total upgrade cost was about 300-400 with tax etc, you could pull it off cheaper with 8GB of RAN and a cheaper MB

What GPU/GPU's are you using and what monitor/ 1080P??

Just fired Windows 10 TP 9926 back up for the first time in a while, after the patch today and the hot fix this is one match in the bog.

2015-02-04 02:35:19 - MWOClient
Frames: 12521 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 69.561 - Min: 39 - Max: 99

All my settings are at high-very high, I turned off AA, Heard it doesn't really make much difference with 1920x1200. Everything seems a bit smoother now. I have played one or two rounds on Windows 7, same settings in CW, and have benches from those games too. Looking interesting for sure, and I am hoping PGI keeps improving because I just pulled the trigger on that 32" 1440p BenQ monitor for $600 on sale from the egg. Should be here in a few days :-)

I have also waited on getting the new I7 4790K parts, and really had a hard time not getting them and a new R290X 4 gb XFX DD series card. I found it on sale for only $329 free shipping. I am trying to hold off on the other parts and the card right now and see what my 7970 3gb can do with the new fixes from PGI, and the new monitor coming. Should be interesting.

I am also gonna hold off on the Intel build right now till my monitor gets here and I can test a few things out. I have ordered some G.Skill tridents 2400 series ram, and I am gonna try to see if my Kingston Hyper X 1866 are holding back my FX-8350. Maybe I can get 5.5 ghz out of her? If I can get a steady 45-60+ Fps and no dips below 40's I might not even pick up the I7 4790K and the Asrock OC board, and just pick up the XFX DD R290X 4gb. Seriously, what would be the point?

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 03 February 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#231 Kill Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 03 February 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

Just fired Windows 10 TP 9926 back up for the first time in a while, after the patch today and the hot fix this is one match in the bog.

All my settings are at high-very high, I turned off AA, Heard it doesn't really make much difference with 1920x1200. Everything seems a bit smoother now. I have played one or two rounds on Windows 7, same settings in CW, and have benches from those games too. Looking interesting for sure, and I am hoping PGI keeps improving because I just pulled the trigger on that 32" 1440p BenQ monitor for $600 on sale from the egg. Should be here in a few days :-)

I have also waited on getting the new I7 4790K parts, and really had a hard time not getting them and a new R290X 4 gb XFX DD series card. I found it on sale for only $329 free shipping. I am trying to hold off on the other parts and the card right now and see what my 7970 3gb can do with the new fixes from PGI, and the new monitor coming. Should be interesting.

I am also gonna hold off on the Intel build right now till my monitor gets here and I can test a few things out. I have ordered some G.Skill tridents 2400 series ram, and I am gonna try to see if my Kingston Hyper X 1866 are holding back my FX-8350. Maybe I can get 5.5 ghz out of her? If I can get a steady 45-60+ Fps and no dips below 40's I might not even pick up the I7 4790K and the Asrock OC board, and just pick up the XFX DD R290X 4gb. Seriously, what would be the point?

Apologies, I meant to include the GPU specs, I'm running an "eVGA GTX 560 Superclocked" card. I run dual 23" 1900x1080 (I think that res is correct but I'm not in front of it at the moment) monitors, obviously MWO is only in one but I keep Smurphys and TS open on the other one. All my specs are medium with particles set to low to reduce some of the smoke and FPS killing effects. I'm sure I could move some things to high but haven't messed with it yet since its a new build.

Also, I've tested both DX9 and 11 on it a little, with the 32 bit MWO client, and see no difference with either one as far as performance goes. Some of the other ML guys are running the 64bit client so I'll be trying that pretty soon, with 16GB of RAM its worth a shot.

#232 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

All my settings are at high-very high, I turned off AA

I don't really recall your minimums typically being that high in 7, not that I remember those things in any super detail. At worst it seems a fairly above-average result overall, and from the bog, no less (typically not one of my better maps for benchmarking).

Keep in mind MWO uses post-AA, so it caries no real performance penalty. If you want it on keep in on, if not, keep it off. Personal preference is pretty much all that matters there.

That 290X is nice, btw, but do you really want to spend that kind of money replacing a 280X with a 290x? Your 7970 may not be bleeding edge anymore, but it's still within a stone's throw of high end. Here's a thought: if you're not happy with your 7970 at present, why not buy another? You'd spend a lot less for a lot more performance gain. I've floated that idea on and off with my 7970 a lot recently, granted, it will add some notable power consumption to your machine.

Edited by Catamount, 04 February 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#233 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostCatamount, on 04 February 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

I don't really recall your minimums typically being that high in 7, not that I remember those things in any super detail. At worst it seems a fairly above-average result overall, and from the bog, no less (typically not one of my better maps for benchmarking).

Keep in mind MWO uses post-AA, so it caries no real performance penalty. If you want it on keep in on, if not, keep it off. Personal preference is pretty much all that matters there.

That 290X is nice, btw, but do you really want to spend that kind of money replacing a 280X with a 290x? Your 7970 may not be bleeding edge anymore, but it's still within a stone's throw of high end. Here's a thought: if you're not happy with your 7970 at present, why not buy another? You'd spend a lot less for a lot more performance gain. I've floated that idea on and off with my 7970 a lot recently, granted, it will add some notable power consumption to your machine.

I will have to go back and look at the numbers in my frap logs for 7 and run some more bench mark runs for sure in 10 and 7 now that PGI has changed something to help, but indeed that run looks good right out the gate. I wil need to turn post AA back on to compare the results, I had heard it did give a little hit and wasn't needed in 1920x1200 and higher.

I love the xfx 7970 and have thought about picking up a second one.... but then again at this point CF or SLI really doesn't do much for this game, right? PGI still doesn't support either, right? I really wanted to hold off on getting a new card till AMD and Nvidia release the new cards coming, and I wanted to get the biggest single card that is a decent price. I even considered the xfx DD 290X 8 gb card, and the Sasphire 8 gb and the MSI lighting one. The only thing about my 7970 is that with the 290X 4gb I believe it will be a 35% Boost in fps over the 7970 in 1440p, which is huge and will be needed to see better Fps in MWO. I might hold off on a card right now and see how it does with the new monitor, but I am expecting a performance hit with it. I have plenty of power with several PSU's to run any of the cards in CF or SLI so that is not a issue.

The Xfx DD 290X 4gb for only $329 seemed like a hell of a deal and with the new BenQ 32" 1440p on its way seemed like it might be a good Idea to get, and is a Beast! I have also looked into some of Nvidia cards, 980, 970's and considered them also.

Wouldn't it be the $hit if PGI gets this game optimized and Intel and FX users start seeing much higher frame rates in this game and smoother play? I am still not opposed to getting the I74790K and Asrock OC mother board, but if they improve things and I start seeing my fps not dip below the 40's and avg around 60+, I could spend the $700+ dollars on a bad ass single card or other things instead. Wouldn't that be something? I have said it all along, there is no reason for my FX-8350 at 4.9-5 ghz to not put out no less then 40+ fps. Yes the Intels handle this game with faster Fps, but there is no reason anyone with higher end FX chips and Intel chips to being seeing such low Fps in this game.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 04 February 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#234 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

Trying to decide how many times i've read this post...feels like dejavu

#235 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 04 February 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Trying to decide how many times i've read this post...feels like dejavu

LOL... three times.... sorry I just did a copy and paste in the three forums to make less typing on me at 3 am in the morning.

#236 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Here's what I have to wonder though: is upgrading a 7970 really going to help you in MWO? Even at somewhat higher resolutions?

I know people who run this game at 1080P at maxed settings on cards stupidly less powerful than a 7970, including smatterings of mid-high range mobile GPUs. Hell 18 months ago I was almost doing it on an OCed 5830! A few things were on medium, sure, but you have more than double that card's capability right now. MWO is stupidly CPU-intensive; it's really not all that GPU intensive.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading a GPU setup if you're unhappy with it, but if you're just playing MWO and want higher framerates, I don't think that's going to be what you want to look at for improvements.

#237 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostCatamount, on 04 February 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

Here's what I have to wonder though: is upgrading a 7970 really going to help you in MWO? Even at somewhat higher resolutions?

I know people who run this game at 1080P at maxed settings on cards stupidly less powerful than a 7970, including smatterings of mid-high range mobile GPUs. Hell 18 months ago I was almost doing it on an OCed 5830! A few things were on medium, sure, but you have more than double that card's capability right now. MWO is stupidly CPU-intensive; it's really not all that GPU intensive.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading a GPU setup if you're unhappy with it, but if you're just playing MWO and want higher framerates, I don't think that's going to be what you want to look at for improvements.

Yeah.... I am wondering the same thing myself.....according to Crysis3 bench marks at 1440p a R290X does much better then the 7970 I have. I think I am gonna wait and see at this point. The new monitor might be here tomorrow, its in Indy right now, Newegg must have put a hub in there, because most things used to come from TN, or Cali. I have plenty to work on right now, I have the Granite laid for my new 2'x3' wall mount case and working on getting all the plexi glass I need to make the plates and the outside cover for the new wall mount case. :D

#238 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

I thought we were talking about CPUs...? :) I mean, I know it's a hardware section and everything...anyway, I updated the http://mwomercs.com/...o/page__st__140 thread with some more frame time benchmarks from an APU and i5-4670K, for anyone still looking to talk about the thread topic ;)

#239 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostMercJ, on 04 February 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

I thought we were talking about CPUs...? :) I mean, I know it's a hardware section and everything...anyway, I updated the http://mwomercs.com/...o/page__st__140 thread with some more frame time benchmarks from an APU and i5-4670K, for anyone still looking to talk about the thread topic ;)

We are... I am talking CPU's, because I am at a point that I normally upgrade or build another rig even though I really don't need to do so. Amd has no real upgrade path in CPU's for me ATM. I am upgrading my monitor right now, and I want and need to decide if I need to go Intel to still get acceptable fps in this game once I go with a new graphics card. I was hoping to wait on the card till the new 300's series come, or Nvidias next best cards, but I might not be able to wait depending on how my CPU, GPU play with the new 1440p monitor that is coming tomorrow, so its all kinda related and it gets complicated....sorry, I am not trying to go off topic with my replies. ;)

Update.... I didn't know that Newegg put a main hub in up in Indy just 2 hours away from me, so looks like all my parts will now come in only 2 days with standard 4-7 day shipping. Tomorrow should be a fun day with the new monitor and 1440p. :D

Update to the update... Monitor came today at 3:45pm from UPS. Box looked good, no damage, got her all put together and all I can say is Holy Hell! Very impressed with the build quality of the monitor.

Snag #1..... My 7970 3b has mini display ports, and DVI, Monitor only came with a standard Display port cable. So, I hook up the DVI cable that came with the monitor and fired her up for the first time.

And the BenQ splash comes up, all looks good in 1440P land. At one minute into the first power on and booting into Windows, something goes very wrong. Starts out displaying 2560x1440p correctly, and then the hazing lines start to appear, and then 3 half inch wide green lines show up and down the screen. :angry:

Contacted Newegg for support..... same old same old return options/refund. Ship it to Cali, wait for them to check contents of box, and then they issue a refund or send a new unit. 7-10 days down time min... with no new monitor. Called up BenQ's support, talked to a guy name Robert and after texting him pics and a Video of what the new monitor was doing, with out a doubt its a lemon. He seemed to think it was scalar board failure. Just my luck hey?

The great news for me is that Robert claimed he has never seen a BenQ due something like this, and a first time. I explained the options with Newegg and the time it would take, and he came back with, " I will email you a RMA form, fill it out, email it back and I will ship you out a brand new one from Cali next day. I will send a Fed-ex pick up for the defective one to your house to pick it up."

So, looks like it was to late today to get it sent out so it would be here tomorrow, but it will be here Sat. :D Looks like I will have to wait to test out MWO at 1440P till Sat. I think I cried as I broke down the monitor and boxed it back up.... It truly is perfect, except for the fact this one was a lemon. :lol:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 05 February 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#240 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

the recent patches helped alot, i have an fx 8350 and an amd 7770oc card and my fps went from 35-60 fps on med+low settings to 70-100+ fps with the recent patches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users