• Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 January 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Exploit
Which is different that

Cheat:

Exploiting is not always a bad thing. And in combat using a legal advantage to improve the chances of winning is a common practice.

We want a good tactical game, unless someone's tactics help them beat us... Really?

Everyone have a different opinion on it. I gave mines and i gave my reasons behind it.

So is a invisible wall? Why did PGI fixed several of them in different maps. From my understanding from several people, PGI could decide not to fix them and let them to use by people on the go.

But that didn't happened because people complained about it.

This is the thing case but scale and design is involved.

Edited by Sarlic, 11 January 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#22 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 776 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

It is a challenge to me if enemy goes there. Seismic, UAV, LuRM them. It is fun.
I have no objection to the subject.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostSarlic, on 11 January 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Everyone have a different opinion on it. I gave mines and i gave my reasons behind it.

So is a invisible wall? Why did PGI fixed several of them in different maps. From my understanding from several people, PGI could decide not to fix them and let them to use by people on the go.

But that didn't happened because people complained about it.

This is the thing case but scale and design is involved.

An Invisible wall is a Exploit. Aimbot is a cheat. Now making it so there are less Invisible walls is good, Stopping someone from fighting you using the actual terrain as intelligently as possible should never be stopped. You don't like it is not a reason to make it go away.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

View PostSarlic, on 11 January 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

I disagree. It's a position not to be ment up there. And i do not respect any pilot going up there. The oversight is huge. Simply for the reasons i just gave.

But i do respect other people's opinions.

If one wasn't meant to be up there? It would have an out of bounds like the hills on CWs Sulfur Map.

Tactics and maneuvering are OP.....NERF THEM!!!

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

Some of those Out of Bounds area's are the best places to actually be fighting from (Hill above Upper City on River City) :wub:

#26 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

Greetings all,

The referenced hill tops on a few maps should indeed be made usable.

- If PGI wanted to absolutely stop the use of these top mountain features they just need to set the 'slope' traction up and no one will be able to climb them. (tapping JJ's will sometimes override this function and allow the climb, but that takes time.)

- If it's deemed a feature and allowed, then cut a traversing road into the hill and place structures on it's top.
(something in the line of a look-out or Comms Center for shipping and air traffic.)
- The largest problem I see from units that are up there is there inability to see where they are aiming at when targeting the lower enemy. Normally well below there cockpit lower edge and into the HUD map area. (why is the HUD not pushed to transparent when the Reticle is in that location?)
- The ability to 'hold a lock' from that vantage is extreme, though the Mech is sky-lined and attracts quite a bit of fire.

We see similar features on the 'River City' map with structures and gun emplacements of hill tops, although not accessible they are still there. There's even the ability for a few Mech's to JJ on top of the Ice Ravine in "Frozen City", well out of most Mech's ability to aim up and return fire. And similar to what we see happening on the "Crimson Strait' hills.

Just some thoughts,
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 11 January 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 January 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

Some of those Out of Bounds area's are the best places to actually be fighting from (Hill above Upper City on River City) :wub:

Well, by his position the Ring Wall on HPG must be an exploit then, as many mechs cannot effectively return fire or get up there. I had a match where I took my GRF LRMboat up on the ring and was able to be completely unseen from below and just lrm'd everything on the enemy team to death when my teammates narc'd or tag'd them.

The only thing that kept it from being boring was the nerd rage from the other team. (I dropped with 3 Lights, an Ember that stayed as a bodyguard with me, a Spider with a TAG and a RVN-3L with NARC and TAG.

I literally never once moved aside from twisting to maintain locks.

View Post9erRed, on 11 January 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

- The largest problem I see from units that are up there is there inability to see where they are aiming at when targeting the lower enemy. Normally well below there cockpit lower edge and into the HUD map area. (why is the HUD not pushed to transparent when the Reticle is in that location?)

that sir...is truly genius.

#28 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

Let me see if I have this straight....

You were in a PUG match in the Solo Queue.

You got up on top of the mountain to show everyone your elite CoD sniper skills.

The people you were shooting at got butthurt and told you it was an exploit.

Seems simple enough to me....your opponents were also a PUG team and none of them brought Arty or Air strikes......because NOTHING takes a light off the hill like a little rock and roll.

#29 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

When CW first came out you could do the same thing on the mountain between the 2 gates on Boreal, within a week or 2 it was blocked off with invisible walls, likewise the no "out of bounds" bug on river city night didn't last long. If they really didn't want people going up there it could be prevented easily enough, so, in the meantime.. if it fits, it sits.

Edited by Fishbulb333, 11 January 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#30 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

OP,

It is a valid tactic and a useable piece of terrain. Soldier on good mechwarrior.

Sarlic,

You are putting your own feelings into what "PGI intended" when they made that map. It is not an "invisible wall" and it's wrong headed to think of it that way. If a Dire Wolf is parked behind a visible wall, and shooting at you, do you just take it and die, or do you counter by movements and tactics? That hill is a "visible", useable piece of terrain. If you have an enemy mech in that position, you have to counter the tactic. Either send someone up to engage (very easy to do), engage them from below (also easy to do), or reposition your units out of it's view (also, very easy to do).

You do not get to determine what is "fair" or what PGI designed or "meant to" design into the map. It is not a cheat or an exploit. Any decent medium or light can get up there easily enough to engage the enemy in a reasonable amount of time. There's also Tags you can use to give LRM boats locks.

Next time just ask a light or fast medium on your team to go engage them and drive them off the point. It happens all the time.

#31 Garheardt The Black

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 11 January 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Let me see if I have this straight....

You were in a PUG match in the Solo Queue.

You got up on top of the mountain to show everyone your elite CoD sniper skills.

The people you were shooting at got butthurt and told you it was an exploit.

Seems simple enough to me....your opponents were also a PUG team and none of them brought Arty or Air strikes......because NOTHING takes a light off the hill like a little rock and roll.

Yeah, that about sums it up, except I wasn't even sniping, just cycling targets so my team knew what was there followed by holding locks for LRMs. Now I have to add smoke to things to be on the look out for. Brilliant! Now one guy QQing... Whatever. But there was mass rage. So I promised to hit the forums after. Just in case :ph34r:

#32 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 January 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

ex·ploit
verb
ikˈsploit/
Definition:
1) make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

Video Game Definition:
2) Any tactic that works more than once against "me".

Generally in a game sense an exploit is something that exists which is taking advantage of the system in an unsportsmanlike way. For example, if you can duplicate gold in Diablo 3. In this case, while technically an exploit by definition, climbing the mountain is, as we have all agreed, strategic.

http://youtu.be/EoCPuhhE6dw

PS - how the heck to I embed a video

Edited by Fate 6, 11 January 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostGarheardt The Black, on 11 January 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Yeah, that about sums it up, except I wasn't even sniping, just cycling targets so my team knew what was there followed by holding locks for LRMs. Now I have to add smoke to things to be on the look out for. Brilliant! Now one guy QQing... Whatever. But there was mass rage. So I promised to hit the forums after. Just in case :ph34r:

want to incite even moar delicious rage? Take a Kitfox up there with TAG, NARC and enhanced narc module and ECM.

DOn't use your tag or guns until you are spotted, but just calmly rain narc beacons onto the huddled masses for LRM love.

Doesn't work all the time, but when it does, oh the sputtering, incoherent juvenile nerd rage is fabulous.

That much fun? Maybe it should be illegal, lol.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 January 2015 - 09:57 AM.

#34 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostSarlic, on 11 January 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

I have seen you in the match when my housemate was playing
(Vaegir Raiden, he was not swearing at ya ;) but did'nt liked it.)

I consider this as a unfair advantage since people have:

*Unfair (unlimited) visibility and range* to detect people. Mostly pilots who are piloting a scout. (Oversight is about 2/3 of the map)
-> Pilots on the ground cannot make the angle with their cockpits to hit the pilots on the hill unless walking across the map to make that angle with the arms or cockpit.
*When a mech is equipped with LRMs they just spam a certain area of the map.
*ER PPC spam across the map.
I assume it's not even ment for pilots to get up there and i consider it as a abusive mechanic to influence any outcome of the match. There is almost no counter measures only to get up there without jumpjets or have a friendly pilot to to LRM boat it.

Bottom line: there is still nothing done yet to prevent pilots taking the top hill. It's an object, it's a placed structure, like a building to prevent. Not to engage.

It's a (unfair) advantage and it can influence a entire match due it's oversight. So in my eyes it's a advantage you should not have. Either as a light, medium, heavy or even a assault.

I always report people who are on that hill. I don't think PGI made any statements yet but i will keep reporting untill this flaw has been fixed because it's really a flaw in the design.

And I get crap about feeling synch dropping is an exploit. :)

#35 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:24 AM

No more of an exploit than hopping on top of the centre building in River City or one of the peaks in Tourmaline Desert.

If it's in bounds, its fair.

Never mind the fact that a single shot from a gauss rifle is enough to discourage the curious.

#36 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostFate 6, on 11 January 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Generally in a game sense an exploit is something that exists which is taking advantage of the system in an unsportsmanlike way. For example, if you can duplicate gold in Diablo 3. In this case, while technically an exploit by definition, climbing the mountain is, as we have all agreed, strategic.

http://youtu.be/EoCPuhhE6dw

PS - how the heck to I embed a video
I'm Sorry but I am here to play a war game... So long as it is not using a hack, There is no sportsmanlike conduct necessary during the fight. I come to beat your team and I will use every dirty trick to do it as long as its not violating the program. Its a war game. Where factions are trying to win planets from one another. It ain't the Superbowl! :D :lol:

#37 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

I would say if a place is incorrectly labeled out of bounds, that is an exploit. However, I don't really blame the players for using it. PGI just needs to get their act together and fix it.

Edited by Jman5, 11 January 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#38 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 11 January 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

And I get crap about feeling synch dropping is an exploit. :)

Yes its an Exploit, But was never declared "Cheating" Which is different.

#39 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 January 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

An Invisible wall is a Exploit. Aimbot is a cheat. Now making it so there are less Invisible walls is good, Stopping someone from fighting you using the actual terrain as intelligently as possible should never be stopped. You don't like it is not a reason to make it go away.

I still disagree. The whole mountain is blatantly off-scale if you compare it to the other areas around the map. My opinion stand as it is: i consider it as a unfair advantage with not enough countermeasures. It's unrealistic.
As i have said in multiple posts and specifically number #17. It's a gamechanger.
I wouldn't have any problems if the scale would be adjusted in terms of the whole map. But the whole oversight seeing is just ridiculous to start with. I continue to discourage people to take that specific location.

When it's accessable and inbount then its suddenly a valid area..So the variable height does not matter? (disregard the JJ for a moment).

Although it's my opinion and alot of people here have no objection towards does not change my opinion and how i look at it.

The example of the invisible wall is a perfect example. People have objections against inviisble walls (or hitboxes) but in the current case, most of them do not.

Ironic.

I still vote for a change or a adjustment for that hill!

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 January 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

If one wasn't meant to be up there? It would have an out of bounds like the hills on CWs Sulfur Map.

Tactics and maneuvering are OP.....NERF THEM!!!

That's the Bishop i know!
However i still think it's a design flaw in that map. If there's enough attention, PGI eventually will come up with a response.
Whether i like it or not.

View Post9erRed, on 11 January 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

Greetings all,

The referenced hill tops on a few maps should indeed be made usable.

- If PGI wanted to absolutely stop the use of these top mountain features they just need to set the 'slope' traction up and no one will be able to climb them. (tapping JJ's will sometimes override this function and allow the climb, but that takes time.)

- If it's deemed a feature and allowed, then cut a traversing road into the hill and place structures on it's top.
(something in the line of a look-out or Comms Center for shipping and air traffic.)
- The ability to 'hold a lock' from that vantage is extreme, though the Mech is sky-lined and attracts quite a bit of fire.

We see similar features on the 'River City' map with structures and gun emplacements of hill tops, although not accessible they are still there. There's even the ability for a few Mech's to JJ on top of the Ice Ravine in "Frozen City", well out of most Mech's ability to aim up and return fire. And similar to what we see happening on the "Crimson Strait' hills.

Just some thoughts,
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Thanks for your comment. Appreciated. Good thoughts.

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 11 January 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

OP,

It is a valid tactic and a useable piece of terrain. Soldier on good mechwarrior.

Sarlic,

You are putting your own feelings into what "PGI intended" when they made that map. It is not an "invisible wall" and it's wrong headed to think of it that way. If a Dire Wolf is parked behind a visible wall, and shooting at you, do you just take it and die, or do you counter by movements and tactics? That hill is a "visible", useable piece of terrain. If you have an enemy mech in that position, you have to counter the tactic. Either send someone up to engage (very easy to do), engage them from below (also easy to do), or reposition your units out of it's view (also, very easy to do).

You do not get to determine what is "fair" or what PGI designed or "meant to" design into the map. It is not a cheat or an exploit. Any decent medium or light can get up there easily enough to engage the enemy in a reasonable amount of time. There's also Tags you can use to give LRM boats locks.

Next time just ask a light or fast medium on your team to go engage them and drive them off the point. It happens all the time.

So do other people. Not that it matters anyway.
Well i am always in for a good discussion. People don't have to like it, but i like to express my opinion in a civilized manner. You can call me crazy for my part, but as i have said before. It's not about the countermeasures we can do now, it's about the whole scale of that thing.

I do not determine anything. But just expressing my opinion and consider what i find exploitable in what case it may give you a advantage. I find it unfair. Other people don't. So be it. That's their good right to disagree. :)

But i find it more disturbing that people are even thinking about -or- having thoughts to use anything what they can use. Even when it's broken. Or when the game mechanics just allow you to use it. For example the invisible wall example i gave in my previous posts. "Because i can". That's far more disturbing to be honest.

View PostGarheardt The Black, on 11 January 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Well you may use it whatever you like. (Not sure what you mean with QQ'ing?) Thanks for the discussion and joining in so far.
I hope i can kill you on that mountain! :)

I will just leave it here since i don't get to break through some mindsets. Not my goal anyway.

Edited by Sarlic, 11 January 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#40 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 January 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

Yes its an Exploit, But was never declared "Cheating" Which is different.

When one team has it and the other doesn't its pretty much cheating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users