15 replies to this topic

#1 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Why this game has been up and running for almost 3 years now, and we STILl have massive Hit Reg issues all the way around. We have JJ's that are being exploited to hell and back and every time they "fix" hit reg issues, it makes it even worse a couple weeks later?

Seriously what is the explanation for this?

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

The Hitreg is better than in Beta bcs there was no Hitreg and you had to shot air to hit Mechs (and for each enemy at a different lead) and with the first ECM you did not even know if you did any damage bcs you got not target.

We have sorta 3fold HSR - Laser, Ballistic and Missile HSR (the latter was not necessary if they had changed the way SRM work)

They are able to make 1 Mode work well and the other 2 Modes work somewhat and that is what happens - we play HSR ring a ring.

Edited by Thorqemada, 11 January 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#4 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

The Hitreg is better than in Beta bcs there was no Hitreg and you had to shot air to hit Mechs

With some, you still have to lead into thin air.
Hitboxes are not always where the mech is displayed.

PGI

I know that hitreg for online games like MWO will never be 100% perfect, but its been more or less of a mess for months now.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

View Postoccusoj, on 11 January 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

With some, you still have to lead into thin air.
Hitboxes are not always where the mech is displayed.

PGI

I know that hitreg for online games like MWO will never be 100% perfect, but its been more or less of a mess for months now.

actually since clanners appeared and laods of simultan lasers it really went a lot more worse.

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 January 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#6 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

I love dumping 180 pts of dmg in 3 alphas in a mechs back and he turns around and casually keeps shooting..keeps the game interesting.

#7 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 11 January 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

The Hitreg is better than in Beta bcs there was no Hitreg and you had to shot air to hit Mechs (and for each enemy at a different lead) and with the first ECM you did not even know if you did any damage bcs you got not target.

The problem was server sider lag. Actual hit reg I think was much better in beta.

#8 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

I remember back in beta using the Splatcat and not really having hitreg problems. I played that thing a lot, and ambushing people in the back was my thing.

Now I try to do that in any SRM-boat and it's a complete tossup as to if the hits register or not. Are the servers just not capable of processing that many projectiles at once hitting the target?

#9 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:11 AM

MWO is server side authoritative. As long as the future is 200-300 milliseconds away, you'll always have 200-300ms worth of error in hit registration. PGI currently employ a system that guesses where a mech will be in the future, based on where the future is relative to your ping and the motion of the mech. It doesn't account for changes in ping, or changes made by the target pilot during that time.
Ergo, there is no fix for physics beyond moving to a client side authoritative setup, which would itself mean aimbots galore.

TLDR: Guessing the future is inaccurate.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 13 January 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

MWO is server side authoritative. As long as the future is 200-300 milliseconds away, you'll always have 200-300ms worth of error in hit registration. PGI currently employ a system that guesses where a mech will be in the future, based on where the future is relative to your ping and the motion of the mech. It doesn't account for changes in ping, or changes made by the target pilot during that time.
Ergo, there is no fix for physics beyond moving to a client side authoritative setup, which would itself mean aimbots galore.

maybe but on a non moving target that will still be there in 2 seconds while entire volleys not registering is another issue not related to this.

View PostBellatorMonk, on 11 January 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

I love dumping 180 pts of dmg in 3 alphas in a mechs back and he turns around and casually keeps shooting..keeps the game interesting.

generates this nice tt feeling

Posted Image

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 January 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

I dunno, I thought it was fairly easy to understand.

As long as PGI's monthly profits stay the same or increase, they take it as things are going well.....regardless of game issues. Cut off their funding, they jump right on the fixes. Happened before, no reason it can't happen again.

#12 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 13 January 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

It is. Read the novels. The mechs we pilot are hundreds of years in service, targeting computers - no one knows how to build them. Pilots in BT novels are lucky to hit a skyscraper with a LB-X past 20 meters. Let alone lasers. The closest to lore solution would be to make even hitting a mech a RNG-Roll.

#13 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:26 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 13 January 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

I dunno, I thought it was fairly easy to understand.

As long as PGI's monthly profits stay the same or increase, they take it as things are going well.....regardless of game issues. Cut off their funding, they jump right on the fixes. Happened before, no reason it can't happen again.

REVOLUTION!!!

#14 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 January 2015 - 02:42 AM, said:

http://thegamerzzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/snake-eyes-dice1.jpg

Lostech!

EDIT: Seriously? The forum does not like me lately.

Edited by Rhaythe, 13 January 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#15 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 11 January 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Why this game has been up and running for almost 3 years now, and we STILl have massive Hit Reg issues all the way around. We have JJ's that are being exploited to hell and back and every time they "fix" hit reg issues, it makes it even worse a couple weeks later?

It's a hard problem that many not have a fully functional solution. linking everyone to a common time frame across multiple networks with packet loss and variable latency.... sound hard to me. unless you convert to a much longer time scale like one seconds and abstract the game into dice roll by making it a true sim. i don't think it can ever be 100% fixed by HSR or other tricks.

#16 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

This is the price we pay for server-side authority and not haveing to deal with things like wall-hacks and aimbots on a regular basis.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 13 January 2015 - 09:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users