• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 January 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

I'm biased to the Gargles at the moment. I will try out the Wubhawk... someday.

#23 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

How very ironic, the first mech I had a blink contest was with a warhawk
they are rather flimsly, aren't they?

Posted Image

#24 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 12 January 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

Which to start with? With the mindset of keeping the last one, grinding it thru to the 3rd module.

Like I said, I'm already keenly aware of eachs strengths and weaknesses, looking for your gut feeling on which will be viable months from now.

We ALL have had mechs we wanted to be, just really wanted to be great, and ground them out to finally accept they really just suck. Some were fun from gut to gutter- the kitfoxes for example, one of the easiest, funnest grinds I've done.

thanks in advance

Out of all of the bajillion mechs I own, none were easier to master than the Whale. It's kind of future proof in the sense that it will always have enormous free tonnage, and will always maneuver like a pig wearing rollerskates without wheels at the beach.

#25 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 January 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Warhawk, for sure. Just don't put a ballistic on it, unless you're playing dual gauss for fun. Every other ballistic build for the Warhawk is a joke.

I find this build to be far from a joke. Thing is a terror up close. It's the only ballistic build that's worked for me though.

too lazy; didn't click - LB20X, 2x LPL, 2x SRM6

Edited by Kevjack, 12 January 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#26 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 12 January 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

The warhawk just seems really flimsy to me, I'm not sure why. It seems to have the same level of durability of a medium without the maneuverability. It doesn't feel like an assault. That said, it's a decent enough mech. The direwolf on the other hand feels like an assault to the point I have to keep myself from getting overconfident. It's easy to start feeling like you're unstoppable, but you are in fact very stoppable because you're a big target for focus fire and without support you'll die horribly and surprisingly quickly.

No assault in this game feels like an assault. An Assault is pretty much what all the gungho idiots try to do in assaults when they first play thsi game.....move out, lead the charge, mow down half hte enemy team and leave it with little more then a few burn marks.

But yeah, Assaults and heavies in pretty much every game I know now, are just bigger, slower mediums, be it tanks, soldiers, mechs...w/e...no such thing as a "Heavy" or "Assault".

If the WHK feels flimsy, the reason is its MASSIVE side torsos. Take a good look at the Warhawk. Realize that the area for the cockpit and the central area from the crotch up to the upper dome is the CT, everything else, including the upper hood is a ST hitbox. The Warhawk is what ive seen some people call it...a Barn with legs....you cant miss it and when you hit it, you hit the Torsos, pop a ST you take off 50% of it's somewhat limited firepower, pop the other, its dead...

The Warhawk in MWO is not really worthy of it's Masakari IS nickname.....Masakari, which is according to Google and Sarna, A Japanese Battleaxe.....it chops through nothing.

#27 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

DW all day everydamndayforfreakinever. Seriously though, you will never get a mech and have sooooo many build options, warhawk doesnt have that, no mech has 6 ballistic slots and 50 tons to play with them, do the DW you wont be sorry! I still come up with builds all the time and they are almost all very effective.

#28 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 12 January 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Sadly i feel the sarcasm here :P :(

Actually I was being serious...did I really sound sarcastic?

#29 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Both boat energy
Direwolf can boat ballistics
Warhawk can LRM boat.

I went with the direwhale and I've never looked back my best games are in the direwhale.

#30 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostKevjack, on 12 January 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

I find this build to be far from a joke. Thing is a terror up close. It's the only ballistic build that's worked for me though.

too lazy; didn't click - LB20X, 2x LPL, 2x SRM6

That build does look rather nice, actually. I'm not a big fan of LBX+SRM builds, but the Warhawk certainly has the speed for it. Unlike the Atlas.

#31 Black Arachne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Direwolf - sturdier, more firepower and not as prone to overheating like Warhawk that spends a lot of it's time shutdown.

#32 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostBlack Arachne, on 12 January 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Direwolf - sturdier, more firepower and not as prone to overheating like Warhawk that spends a lot of it's time shutdown.

In terms of heat, I think that the Warhawk/Peacedove actually is better in that regard, especially if using my Legendary™ and Trademarked™ Wubhawk™ loadout. Nearly every build I see or make on Smurfys for the Whale has well under 0.3 heat efficiency unless it's a pure or nearly pure ballistic boat. Even just a few lazors and the Whale's heat goes to hell...

#33 Black Arachne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 January 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

In terms of heat, I think that the Warhawk/Peacedove actually is better in that regard, especially if using my Legendary™ and Trademarked™ Wubhawk™ loadout. Nearly every build I see or make on Smurfys for the Whale has well under 0.3 heat efficiency unless it's a pure or nearly pure ballistic boat. Even just a few lazors and the Whale's heat goes to hell...

The Ballistic slots are what makes the Dire Wolf better. Maybe when the warhawk gets some -heatquirks for its PPC's I'll give it another run to see if it can fulfill the role it was built for.

Edited by Black Arachne, 12 January 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#34 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 January 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

True, but if you use Dual Gauss as a foundation in a Whale, you can simply fall back on a 30 dmg pinpoint front loaded alpha strike whilst your heat returns to more tolerable levels.

#35 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:19 AM

Names wont be blurred. If you had a bad game, pity, THIS was a very good game.
Quite neck and neck till that inevitable "tilt" as I call it where its down to 3-4 on either side and something happens, one side gets impatient, one side suddenly groups up, luck, perseverance, RNG, ping..whatever..but BOOM, one side goes under quickly.
I was >< close to getting the magical 8ball when storm crow ran between me and their last man as I touched off my gauss- blasted his arm off, thankfully didn't torso him.
I waded into the zone, whacked the last three while getting beat to hell- their TBR circled around the boxes, this thing is sooo dam slow, he possibly could have flanked me, so I'm not yanking the storm jock, just telling the tale of a battle gone well.
It also was enough to finish off the last of the basic, whatever one is that nasty 3500 xp
so, based on 6-7 games...or maybe it was 9...of getting pounded into the dirt with 200 damage, like a big fat bully on the playground when the other kids realize what a slow lumbering POS you really are..
I took the "I'm big sissy and going to hang back" tact, THIS game gave hope for the future!

This is the build. Its odd running a mech with extra tonnage, but I can't figure out how to better get the same load out WITH my current strapped Cbill situation

Posted Image

p.s. one of those was a lucky arty strike, when 3-4 were bottled up paying attention to a couple of our lights. I almost feel guilty when I take out a player with arty...but...I'll take it!!

#36 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

http://goo.gl/xIwfwN

There's your non joke ballistics. Hits harder at all ranges than timberwolf laser vomit, and moves as fast as IS heavies from the Nascar days. When you've poked a few holes in something and are starting to heat up, firing only two of your three lpls gets you 80% heat efficiency with a 41 damage punch every 4 seconds.

I love my dire wolfs, but they can't move fast enough for solo queue to be consistently fun.

As far as variety goes: 5 erllas, 4 lpl, lrm60+4 ermlas and tag, asrm24+lasers, and uac20+anything are all possible. You won't get dual ballistics without penning yourself in, but that's the biggest restriction.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users