Heaviest Jump Jet Mech?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Aerekplus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

I was just curious what the heaviest mech was that you could equip Jump jets on, Like if an Atlas were capable I think that would just be scary, maybe not practical but still just curious.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

Highlander, for mechs in game currently.

#3 Aerekplus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Cool thanks :)

#4 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

Stone Rhino in lore was the biggest one with JJ. There's a reason it was nicknamed the Behemoth :D

#5 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostTheSilkenPimp, on 10 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Stone Rhino in lore was the biggest one with JJ. There's a reason it was nicknamed the Behemoth :D

Twin gauss, twin large pulse lasers (and a single small pulse laser, but who's counting?). Poptarts, anyone?

#6 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Just to note, the Highlander is the heaviest in game, at 90 tons - but to call what it does jumping is almost a sin. If you are looking for it for a tactic, like a mech to use in CW who can get over gates or something, I'd recommend you think again. Even if you devote to maximum jump jets in the mech, like 8 tons, or even 10 tons on the hero highlander that can mount 5 JJ, you will not be able to do much more than speed your way up small humps in the ground or spend three seconds getting on top of a single story bunker building.

The highest tonnage effective jumping mech in the game is the Victor, at 80 tons, if you give it a full complement of jump jets.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

Heaviest mech to ever have JJs of the mechs in game? Banshee -- but only on the tabletop versions.
Heaviest mech to have JJs? Anything 100 tons, including Atlases. Just none of the currently available ones would carry them.

But of the mechs that have them and can use them, the Highlander is the current heaviest.

Check out this Highlander versus a Dire Wolf in this no hud, third person match.

(Same fight from the Dire Wolf's viewpoint).

#8 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, PGI has wrecked the jj mechanic on the Highlander and the Victor. Kind of sad really. I still love my Highlanders, but they've been sitting for a long time while I've played other mechs. And my new Victors, I've pulled all the jj's out of them, wasted tonnage right now. Hopefully somewhere down the line they'll make jj's viable again in those 2 chassis.

#9 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

Those that tell you assaults cant jump are plain lying, so don't believe it, They want their mechs to be able to fly again, which was nerfed but mechs, including assaults can happily jump over mountainous terrain provide you add enough jump jets.

#10 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

Hoverlander.

#11 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

Jump Jets are supposed to be an advantage but PGI doesn't think so.

#12 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

The Highlander that can fit the most jump jets is the Heavy Metal. It will fit 5. Even with 5 jj's installed, the HM cannot "happily fly over mountainous" ANYTHING. Not anymore. And I'm speaking from experience because I have one.

The next variant that can equip the most jj's is the 733C. It can fit 4. With 4 jj's installed, it is predictably less able to "fly over" things than the HM.

All the other Highlander variants can only fit a max of 3 jj's. 3 jj's on a 90 ton Highlander will now barely, and I mean barely get you to the top of a one story building.

Ace,I suggest you get your facts straight before you post useless isht. Do you even OWN any Highlanders? PGI has nerfed the jj mechanics for the Highlander and Victor chassis, which means they don't have the thrust and lift of other comparable chassis with their respective jj's.

With 4 jj's in my Jenner (different weight class, but also smaller jj class), I can fly across the smaller canyon on Canyon Network map. With 4 jj's in my Highlander, I cannot even jj from the bottom of the canyon to the canyon top without running out of fuel. JJ's on Highlanders weigh 2 tons each. JJ's on Jenners weigh a half ton each. Different class jump jets "should" have different amounts of thrust, with the big 2 ton jj's putting out enough thrust to actually get the damn mech off the ground.

They have broken the jj's on the 2 chassis, which has done far more than make them non-"poptarts", but made them unable to do what they are supposed to be able to do. They've also broken the jj turning to add maneuverability while on the ground and just trying to turn around.

Meanwhile, Jenners, Spiders, and Firestarters can do aerial acrobatics and ballets.

Edited by OldOrgandonor, 11 January 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#13 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostTheSilkenPimp, on 10 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Stone rhino is hardly the one that is known for it though. There are actually a fair amount of 100 tonners in cannon with JJ's which can include by year 3050:

The Marauder II
A variant of the King Crab
The Dire Wolf S

The only one of these I see releasing though is the King Crab. Marauder can't be released for legal reasons, Direwolf S will NEVER see the light of day because of the amount of butt hurt it would bring if it did come out.

#14 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

Yes I am levelling 2 Victors now .... and saying they jump is a serious overstatement. It's more like slow and painfully hovering up and that's with 4 jets.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

Indeed. Watch this.

There's some backstory to this that I'll leave out, but the main thing was to see if old collision and jump based damage still was viable. (To note, the things mentioned that are "not allowed" now were "allowed" in the past and recorded to make a point that DFA should be implemented to prevent them.)

(Mentioned Raven turret on Atlas. Riding mechs into battle. <-Note the dates, and note if you see this in matches especially in CW, please report it immediately at support@mwomercs.com ) (While fun, it is extremely game breaking).

Collision based akin to this.

(Him colliding with me as I turn breaks the Raven's leg).

(Also can't wait til this returns.)

Edited by Koniving, 11 January 2015 - 07:24 AM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostBrizna, on 11 January 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

Yes I am levelling 2 Victors now .... and saying they jump is a serious overstatement. It's more like slow and painfully hovering up and that's with 4 jets.

This as I'm sure you're aware was because of poptarts. And you are absolutely correct.

Now I'll quote something, and I should note there's a big difference here in the common assumption and the reality.
"While only possessing a ground speed of 64.8 km/h, the Victor achieves a high degree of mobility instead through the use of four jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and twenty meters."
The assumption is "OMG it jumps 120 meters high!?"
Nope.
Four jumpjets actually gets you (in BT) 6 (physical jump + first JJ) + 3 (2nd JJ) + 3 (3rd JJ) + 3 (4th JJ) = 15 meters high (so barely its own head height since the MWO Victor is far taller than the BT Victor). What it does is allow a ranged jump from a stationary position to reach 120 meters horizontal distance from starting point to landing point. In MWO you barely go 5 meters forward from a stationary position with 4 JJs. Thus, poptarts. In BT there's no such thing as jumping in place, thus poptarting in that sense isn't possible (it'd probably be more appropriate to call it 'launching' or 'leaping' or 'hurling' or to even go so far as a 'slow bunny hop'). But I don't think we'll get a rebalancing of jumpjets any time soon.

Edited by Koniving, 11 January 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#17 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

(Also can't wait til this returns.)

Knockdown? Blue thermal vision that doesn't count a cold map as stupidly hot due to a poor decision on how to overlay it? Atlases being scary? Cooler missiles? Or something else I missed? Bet none of it makes it back. Every thing changed was changed for a reason, and I suspect that the fact that it was changed will make them somewhat reluctant to change it back. Maybe forward in a different way is more likely, but back seems kind of improbable from where I'm sitting.

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

This as I'm sure you're aware was because of poptarts. And you are absolutely correct.

Now I'll quote something, and I should note there's a big difference here in the common assumption and the reality.
"While only possessing a ground speed of 64.8 km/h, the Victor achieves a high degree of mobility instead through the use of four jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and twenty meters."
The assumption is "OMG it jumps 120 meters high!?"
Nope.
Four jumpjets actually gets you (in BT) 6 (physical jump + first JJ) + 3 (2nd JJ) + 3 (3rd JJ) + 3 (4th JJ) = 15 meters high (so barely its own head height since the MWO Victor is far taller than the BT Victor). What it does is allow a ranged jump from a stationary position to reach 120 meters horizontal distance from starting point to landing point. In MWO you barely go 5 meters forward from a stationary position with 4 JJs. Thus, poptarts. In BT there's no such thing as jumping in place, thus poptarting in that sense isn't possible (it'd probably be more appropriate to call it 'launching' or 'leaping' or 'hurling' or to even go so far as a 'slow bunny hop'). But I don't think we'll get a rebalancing of jumpjets any time soon.

Which is a shame, considering that the parameters of them are easy enough to calculate and overpowered by no means. The main thing I used them for in TT was to change facing or get up steep hills. I often feel sad at how little lateral movement these things give in MWO, since you were supposed to get something like 30m per JJ.

#18 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

I miss my heavy metal. Had to park it when it could not jump a curb in river city.

#19 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

Let us not forget the 100 ton Kodiak, a la Ghost Bear's Legacy. Not sure where that one stands in regards to copyright law, but that would not be a bad complement to the Dire Wolf.

#20 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

View PostBanditman, on 12 January 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

....but that would not be a bad complement to the Dire Wolf.

Problem with that one is that it is not an Omnimech - creating balance issues

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users