• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

EDIT:

View PostPjwned, on 19 January 2015 - 05:18 AM, said:

As an addendum to the thread...

I ended up grinding out the 30 points for the challenge (which I surprised myself by doing) and I will admit it was actually not nearly as bad as the Victor challenge due to not needing to survive in addition to winning and getting a kill + assist. It took me just under 50 games over several hours, and while I would prefer that future tournaments not require as many points for the grand prize, I'm not going to lie and say it was such a gigantic crappy hassle because it really wasn't; I do wonder if choosing to do it at the last minute actually helped the overall match quality though because it did seem like other people were having a crappy time after playing for quite a while.

I still don't like the killing blow requirement because it encourages crappy player behavior (in my opinion) more than it should and I still think there are other more sensible challenge criteria to use, but...

If you were one of the people who said "it's not going to be nearly as bad as the Victor challenge" here's your chance to say "I told you so" because, in my experience at least, it really was not as bad despite me thinking it would be, which is why I kept on playing I guess.

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Stupid challenge criteria that ruins matches said:

In order to score 1 point you must meet all three of the following criteria in a match:Get 1 or more Kill, get 1 or more Assist, and Win the match via either the Primary or Secondary objectives.

Requiring a kill in a match to get a tournament point always leads to absolutely ATROCIOUS match quality, be it sniping kills to the detriment of the rest of the team (usually by abandoning a position to get a killing shot on a lone enemy mech 700m away) or killing teammates to have a higher chance of securing an enemy kill or not targeting the enemy on radar or other such nonsense.

I'm also going to link my previous thread about the Victor challenge where I say basically the same thing I'm saying here, and I would encourage you to read this post if you check out that thread and as a bonus you can read this conversation in another thread about the same issue.

Tournament page said:

You may recall the "To The Victors..." event we ran back in November. The survival criteria made it one of our most challenging events yet, and there was a clear shift in tactics over that weekend as a response.

It's time for another hard-fought challenge. You won't need to survive the match to get a point in this one, but victory is still a key component.

The survival criteria was actually fine because it gave people more of a reason to go for the primary objective, the problem was (and still is) that requiring a killing blow took away any focus on those objectives (and then some) due to the limited nature of killing blows meaning you need to tunnel vision a kill to the exclusion of all else if you want a tournament point, which you need 30 of this time rather than just 20 to finish it.

It really says something (negative) when even if you completely stomp the enemy team horribly (say 12-0 or 12-1 or whatever) you still won't get credit for the challenge unless you land a killing blow, which you frequently just need good luck for considering how often mechs get focus fired in this game, and if 1 person gets more than 1 kill then that just screwed a teammate out of getting a tournament point, or if some jackass on the enemy team deliberately overheats or goes out of bounds then there's another person that got screwed. Build variety also becomes a problem because if you can't deal high amounts of damage in quick bursts then you're not very likely to get a killing blow unless you solo a lone mech way off in the distance.

If there absolutely must be a combat focused requirement then make an alternative goal of something like 5, 6, or 7 assists in a match and maybe some minimum amount of damage dealt or something, because otherwise requiring a kill for credit is what consistently ruins matches. Another option would be to just add the "kill most damage dealt" reward as an alternative for tournament credit so that it would still largely retain the theme of the challenge while making matches much less of a killstealing fuckfest.

Edited by Pjwned, 19 January 2015 - 05:22 AM.

#2 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hi! after sharing soooooo many links with us I though I would share one with you:

http://mwomercs.com/...against-a-wall/

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

Meh.

A single kill is simple enough to get. It's a win that's difficult in the PUG life.

I don't imagine CW drops will count either. To the group queue!

#4 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostJonny Slam, on 15 January 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Hi! after sharing soooooo many links with us I though I would share one with you:

http://mwomercs.com/...against-a-wall/

Thanks for the bump I suppose, feel free to not click any of the links if you don't want to, or respond if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute for that matter.

EDIT: lol deleted

View PostMcgral18, on 15 January 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

Meh.

A single kill is simple enough to get. It's a win that's difficult in the PUG life.

Do you want to argue against the kill requirement consistently ruining matches then? Getting a win and several assists (or something similar as an alternative goal) in a match would not be nearly as difficult and it would not ruin matches to anywhere near the degree that requiring a killing blow does, even if you were required to live the whole match as well, although I imagine surviving and winning would be enough challenge.

Edited by Pjwned, 15 January 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#5 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

The game play is the issue.

#6 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 15 January 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

CW will count, so it makes the kill requirement a really low bar.

#7 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

View PostScreech, on 15 January 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

CW will count, so it makes the kill requirement a really low bar.

I'll be honest and say I didn't know that because I glossed over it and just assumed that wasn't true, so I didn't consider that.

That makes it less of a hassle, but unfortunately CW has a number of its own woes (especially for solo droppers) and the kill requirement still ruins matches in the public queue so it's not exactly amazing either.

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

Sheeit, winning will be harder then getting a kill....

#9 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

The combination is the challenge. Without it, it would just be "here, have a mech."

#10 PeekaBoo I C Ju

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 421 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnder your bed....BOO!

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

if you can't get a single kill then you don't need a new mech you need some more play time...just saying....and for the record, the "Survive" clause of the last challenge is what made it so...um...shall we say...Different?

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

Time to bust out my Timberwub.

#12 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

getting a kill is hard?! I've get like 2 average in my Locusts. Its not that hard. Not like its a "most damage" kill. you literally just have to poke an enemy open CT, you don't even have to survive the conflict. just hit O and melt your mech.

#13 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

Nice, I needed one more Cataphract to elite them but hadn't got around to buying it yet

excellent
Posted Image

Edited by cSand, 15 January 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#14 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

Meh, if I were to change anything it might be to include this as an additional requirement:

Must not have any Teamkills for the match.

Which would prompt people to be a little more careful with their shots.

But.

Knowing human nature, that just would encourage some people to zombie hug in order to prevent anyone else from firing at the target so they're highly likely to be the one to get the kill.

So ... upon thinking about it .... nope ... it's good as it is.

I HATED the 'survival' aspect of the last contest. The moment someone got a kill they ran away like a little frightened schoolgirl. It was absolutely disgusting.

#15 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

View PostNosferatu 666, on 15 January 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

if you can't get a single kill then you don't need a new mech you need some more play time...just saying....and for the record, the "Survive" clause of the last challenge is what made it so...um...shall we say...Different?

It's about managing to get a killing blow more than anything else, the alternative requirement could just be getting 1 "kill most damage dealt" reward too and that would still retain the theme of the challenge while making it a lot less crappy.

#16 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

I can't help but think the OP is suggesting this because his K:D ratio is <1.

Besides, how is it fair to people that get, say, 1 assist and 4 kills? Can you necessarily argue that a person who gets 8 assists is doing more than the guy who brought down 4 people? Note I said 'necessarily.' Maybe they were lucky, or maybe they were in a Jenner and picked off 3 dire whales in a dense city environment using some of the best play you've never seen. Hard to tell that guy he was less effective than the ac/2 blackjack with 12 assists.

Edited by Water Bear, 15 January 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#17 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 15 January 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

I can't help but think the OP is suggesting this because his K:D ratio is <1.

I don't have a problem with saying that my K:D ratio is below 1.0 (currently at 0.84) because I don't worry about my K:D ratio, largely due to piloting mechs that are not the best at delivering killing blows, but that is not why I suggest this so please actually read the topic, thanks.

Besides, how is it fair to people that get, say, 1 assist and 4 kills? Can you necessarily argue that a person who gets 8 assists is doing more than the guy who brought down 4 people? Note I said 'necessarily.' Maybe they were lucky, or maybe they were in a Jenner and picked off 3 dire whales in a dense city environment using some of the best play you've never seen. Hard to tell that guy he was less effective than the ac/2 blackjack with 12 assists.

And how is it fair for those other 3 people to get screwed out of a tournament point, regardless of how well they do, simply because 1 person got multiple kills? I'm not even arguing that getting a bunch of assists is necessarily doing more, but I am arguing that it should be enough to get credit.

Edited by Pjwned, 15 January 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#18 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

Getting a kill is fine. It doesn't nearly effect game play as horribly as the previous requirement to survive the round did.

#19 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

View Posttopgun505, on 15 January 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

Meh, if I were to change anything it might be to include this as an additional requirement:

Must not have any Teamkills for the match.

Which would prompt people to be a little more careful with their shots.

But.

Knowing human nature, that just would encourage some people to zombie hug in order to prevent anyone else from firing at the target so they're highly likely to be the one to get the kill.

So ... upon thinking about it .... nope ... it's good as it is.

I HATED the 'survival' aspect of the last contest. The moment someone got a kill they ran away like a little frightened schoolgirl. It was absolutely disgusting.

I don't think that's entirely true. I saw most people trying to stay in the fight but just being cautious, because you did have to win after all. You should have seen the heroics I put up in my XL300 CN9-YLW. I got half of my points (at least) in that mech, and definitely had more than my fair share of damage done in every match often ending with no torso armor whatsoever.

#20 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

This will be fine. The survival requirement was the problem last time. It made people cower in their 100 ton assault mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users