Ffs There Doing It Again!

35 replies to this topic

#1 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

am i the only one that remembers what it was like they did this event with the victor.

the tking the in fighting the horrible behavior...etc , and now instead of 20 points you need 30.

i've been reading the forums for the last couple of weeks ppl talking about getting trolled the ****

talkers, getting pugs to play as a team the what ever or who ever thats ******* up the game for u

wait till this weekend it will be a hundred times worse. . and the sickest part about this is im going

be right there beside you because i cant pass up free ****.

can i get a face palm from the the crowd

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

Well, at least they removed the survival requirement, which should at least slightly reduce the displays of cowardice.

#3 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

Yep, the most discouraging tournament ever.

I think I will take lurms, just to add up to the general grief and resentment peopel will feel this weekend. Can't beat them? Join them.

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:52 PM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 15 January 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

I think I will take lurms, just to add up to the general grief and resentment peopel will feel this weekend. Can't beat them? Join them.

I think I will just give MWO a miss this weekend. I get tired of LRM camping Assaults steal kills while I do the actual fighting up front.

#5 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Uhm? That was the. best. tournament. ever.

People actually played with some brains for a change, that's how I remember it.

#6 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

View Postbadaa, on 15 January 2015 - 11:28 PM, said:

the tking the in fighting the horrible behavior...etc

so like every tourney then

#7 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:57 AM

View PostDuke Nedo, on 16 January 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

I don't.
The amount if unsportmanship is unbelievable.

#8 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostDuke Nedo, on 16 January 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

I've seen many games where heavies rushed in with as much Alpha they could strap on, get a kill by all means and after getting more shots in the face than sasha grey those big mechs hid in the rearmost area, hoping the rest of the team will win the game.

#9 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

Bad tourney rules kill tourneys.

#10 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

View Postsneeking, on 16 January 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Its a free ilya though, im up for that.

Champion CTF-3D, not a CTF-IM. Still, hell of a mech (even though it has no quirks). I like Cataphracts, so I'll be all over this one.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

View Postsneeking, on 16 January 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Its a free ilya though, im up for that.

Lucky I never got the phract mastery pack last hero sale..

My mouse finger hovered over it for a moment...

My assaults can't camp because their owner doesn't know how :P

actually it is the phract 3D with only 30% XP boost.

Thinking about it, russ once stated that the phract is the most owned mech in the game. And being one of the best mech, chances are, nearly every player beside newbies has or had a phract 3D in his mechbay.

#12 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:16 AM

EVERY tournament people whine about the EXACT same things, no matter what the tournament is or what the rules are.

team kills, too many LRMs, kill stealing, etc, etc...

#13 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:22 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 16 January 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

EVERY tournament people whine about the EXACT same things, no matter what the tournament is or what the rules are.

team kills, too many LRMs, kill stealing, etc, etc...

so the same whine like every day in the forums?

The only "tournament" where no one really qq'ed was the halloween and christmas one, where you need a (lowish) matchscore to win. And match score should it be imho, just a bit higher than 30.

Edited by 627, 16 January 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#14 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

Dont have a Phract, dont like it, did try a few out but its simply not what i want.

#15 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

View Post627, on 16 January 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

so the same whine like every day in the forums?

maybe there will be some added complaints about the 9S this time to mix things up a bit.

#16 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 January 2015 - 11:30 PM, said:

Well, at least they removed the survival requirement, which should at least slightly reduce the displays of cowardice.

Define cowardice.

Yes, we'll probably see less people hiding to save their life. But removing survival requirement just means I'm free to suicide, disconnect and join a new match when I have a kill and the score is 4-0 for my team. Even with me dead, there's a 90% chance my team will still win, so why stick around? And if my team is losing 0-4? Well, statistically the chances of winning that match are very small indeed, so you definitely want to suicide quickly in that case, and start playing the next match. At any rate, there's very little incentive to stay till the end of the match when I don't have to be alive to get the point.

Most people are looking at 10-15 hours to finish this challenge, I imagine. Massive grind requirements leads to widespread griefing, no matter what the criteria are.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 16 January 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#17 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 16 January 2015 - 01:37 AM, said:

Define cowardice.

Yes, we'll probably see less people hiding to save their life. But removing survival requirement just means I'm free to suicide, disconnect and join a new match when I have a kill and the score is 4-0 for my team. Even with me dead, there's a 90% chance my team will still win, so why stick around? And if my team is losing 0-4? Well, statistically the chances of winning that match are very small indeed, so you definitely want to suicide quickly in that case, and start playing the next match. At any rate, there's very little incentive to stay till the end of the match when I don't have to be alive to get the point.

Most people are looking at 10-15 hours to finish this challenge, I imagine. Massive grind requirements leads to widespread griefing, no matter what the criteria are.

well if there is widespread griefing like the kind you're talking about, then your 90% odds of winning a 4-0 match after you disconnect, drops dramatically since those widespread griefers will be DCing too.

and if you're behind 0-4, just keep playing because the other team will just DC.

#18 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 16 January 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

well if there is widespread griefing like the kind you're talking about, then your 90% odds of winning a 4-0 match after you disconnect, drops dramatically since those widespread griefers will be DCing too.
and if you're behind 0-4, just keep playing because the other team will just DC.

Obviously, we're not talking about 90%. When survival was a criterium, you never saw 90% hiding to save their life. It was just one or two people on both teams, for the most part. And they would only hide if they thought there was a fair chance they would get away with it. People are not robots, blindly following a set of rules. They will break the rules when it is to their benefit.

For every person hiding to save their life, the rest of the team were less likely to hide in the last challenge. Because everyone hiding would mean everyone losing. In this challenge, for every player that suicides and disconnects, the rest of the team is less likely to suicide and disconnect, because the chances of losing increase exponentially for every person that does so.

But it is true that people will make decisions that are detrimental to their own chance of success, in an attempt to game the system. It's the 'tragedy of the commons'. Which happened before, when teams lost because people were hiding. And which will probably happen now, because people are going to overestimate their chance of success before suiciding and disconnecting.

You have to think of it in terms of what a cynical, but rational player would do. Not some stupid robot who blindly suicides no matter what.

The only positive from these silly rules is that match time is likely to decrease a lot, due to a greater number of roflstomps.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 16 January 2015 - 01:56 AM.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

View PostAppogee, on 15 January 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

I think I will just give MWO a miss this weekend. I get tired of LRM camping Assaults steal kills while I do the actual fighting up front.

Don't lock your targets ;)

#20 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 16 January 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

You have to think of it in terms of what a cynical, but rational player would do. Not some stupid robot who blindly suicides no matter what.

I am thinking about what a cynical, but rational player would do. I just realize the other team has cynical, but rational players as well.

But like I said before. The whining happens every single tournament. any "bad behavior" seen during a match and players will determine it was directly because of that tournament and no matter if the only see it once or twice during a wekkend, they will flood the forums about how it happens every single match.

hell, look at this thread. the thing hasn't even started, yet here everyone is, preemptively complaining about the things that hasn't happened yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users