80 replies to this topic

#41 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

I feel I am in ELO HELL right now....

I am not good enough to play with the folks I end up with on either side and I'm at my skill ceiling as is it...I'm not getting any better playing against folks that murder me in seconds.

Maybe it has to do with the time of day I am playing but its pretty bad for me. I'm in that I get under 200dmg and nothing else before I'm dead using mechs I am most comfortable with.

#42 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

For what it's worth, here's something you all should take into consideration......

You have one Elo rating for each weight class, period. Not one for Heavy/Solo and one for Heavy/Group. Just Heavy.

If you play primarily in the Group queue, your Elo is going to be based on your performance there. When you come to the Solo queue and don't have your teammates to play with....you're not going to be playing at your maximum efficiency AND you'll be expected to carry X number of lower ranking players to even your score out.

Food for thought.

#43 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 January 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

I am not good enough to play with the folks I end up with on either side and I'm at my skill ceiling as is it...I'm not getting any better playing against folks that murder me in seconds.

Maybe it has to do with the time of day I am playing but its pretty bad for me. I'm in that I get under 200dmg and nothing else before I'm dead using mechs I am most comfortable with.

I mean no offense and please consider this constructive criticism... If you consistently achieve sub-200 damage matches you need to re-assess either your play-style, the class of mech you are piloting or a combination of all the above.

Absolutely... Even the best of us occasionally roll a dud match and drop a sub 200 match but those should be exceptions not the norm.

I'm not saying your a scrub by any means... I just suspect you've got to be overlooking some aspect of your game-play that is contributing to this outcome.

#44 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 January 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

I'm sorry but stupid/Unlucky players die quickly.(Reference: Me in Commandos)

It cannot determine if the build is bad and if its bad for you, is it bad for the user in question? For all you know, the last 3 matches, that PoS got 800 damage for the user!

That's me(more like 500-600 damage), but so much because of my build, but because of my crap laptop. Some maps I get relatively smooth game play for a good part of the match and I can make a great contribution in my Wuberine...other matches is like trying to shoot a squirrel in the dark while holding a strobe light.

#45 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostCocoaJin, on 22 January 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

Other matches is like trying to shoot a squirrel in the dark while holding a strobe light.

The imagery in my mind when I read this made me laugh out loud... Kudos.

#46 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostDaZur, on 22 January 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

Here is where folks need to get their heads straight over their Elo and the MM... The MM is matching the composite Elo score of a team NOT the individual players.

Or in other words for the purpose of match-making the MM treats a composite team Elo score like a single player. As such Elo works perfectly well in terms of pairing "teams".

Once the MM pairs the teams then all bets are off... The result of the match outcome is wholly dependent upon functional math and compounded force strength and the functional skill of the involved players and their ability to play as a team.

We have to get over this MM boogieman crap and start thinking of ways to better quantify a players functional skill level and ability to "team-play"

Win/lose is a poor skill metric for an individual player because it's dependent upon a "team" and has little to do with quantifying their individual ability to contribute.

Wait a minute!..you mean it's not about me?! How will I ever be able to feed my narcissism?! Nerf relativity and any type of non-centralized views of the universe and it's revolution around the ME!

#47 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 January 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

I'd reccomend slowing down your play a bit. Not so much in game(though that might help too initially), but between games. Every match is a learning situation if you take the time to process your match...even if it was a quick stomp. Watch what others do while you spectate. Remember, the end result of the match isn't the defining measurement of how well you are doing. It's each little achievement, success and mis-step you have during an engagement that you have to focus on.

#48 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

i'm pretty sure the MM builds one team at a time. It should build two teams at the same time to match each other.

It builds team one with any elo, of players longest in the que fitting 3x4. So if that team has some really bad and really good players it's teams average ELO is in the middle.
So then it makes team two with elo's closest to team ones average.
So you have team two full of average players.

6good+6bad is way worse than 12average.

Building two teams at the same time would have also totaly eliminated sync dropping as well.

#49 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

Something is wonky here. The other day I lost 11 games in a row over a period of 24 hours when I could actually sit down and play. I would typically pull 300ish damage each round with the same steamroll result.

I couldn't believe it. 11 games in a row. Bad losses too, not even in the end. Surely I thought to myself, I'll end up with the winning side, but no, bad losses every time for 11 rounds.

#50 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 January 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

They still have a chance to get it right with the Steam release.

Right? :)

I'd rather the Steam release was later rather than sooner. We've seen what happens when they release stuff that's still super buggy like the Clans last year and beta CW.

#51 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

View Postuebersoldat, on 22 January 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

Something is wonky here. The other day I lost 11 games in a row over a period of 24 hours when I could actually sit down and play. I would typically pull 300ish damage each round with the same steamroll result.

I couldn't believe it. 11 games in a row. Bad losses too, not even in the end. Surely I thought to myself, I'll end up with the winning side, but no, bad losses every time for 11 rounds.

Were you by chance routinely placed in Charlie lance?

It sounds like possibly your recent success pushed you up to the next Elo bracket and as a result your match draws are pulling more players within your new Elo bracket.

Problem here is... If you just bumped into that bracket there is a pretty broad spectrum of functional skill levels between you and the apex in that new bracket. I.e. you're playing with your new Elo buddies who many could be ready to jump to the next bracket (apex player) or they could be new fledglings like yourself. ;)

It's kind'a painful but suffering through a couple dozen matches seems to eventually settle one into the sweet spot in that new bracket and you'll begin to have similar success as you were having.

I've both bumped up AND bumped down in brackets with commensurate results... ^_^

It' kind'a like going from pee-wee Football to Youth level to Jr. High to High School... Ya take your lumps until you get used to playing with the "big boys". :P

Edited by DaZur, 22 January 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 22 January 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

For what it's worth, here's something you all should take into consideration......

You have one Elo rating for each weight class, period. Not one for Heavy/Solo and one for Heavy/Group. Just Heavy.

If you play primarily in the Group queue, your Elo is going to be based on your performance there. When you come to the Solo queue and don't have your teammates to play with....you're not going to be playing at your maximum efficiency AND you'll be expected to carry X number of lower ranking players to even your score out.

Food for thought.

Strangely, I do OK in PUG in my Assaults But when with the Guys...
I see how good I am not. :unsure:

#53 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:42 AM

View PostDaZur, on 22 January 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

It sounds like possibly your recent success pushed you up to the next Elo bracket and as a result your match draws are pulling more players within your new Elo bracket.

Problem here is... If you just bumped into that bracket there is a pretty broad spectrum of functional skill levels between you and the apex in that new bracket. I.e. you're playing with your new Elo buddies who many could be ready to jump to the next bracket (apex player) or they could be new fledglings like yourself. ;)

It's kind'a painful but suffering through a couple dozen matches seems to eventually settle one into the sweet spot in that new bracket and you'll begin to have similar success as you were having.

I've both bumped up AND bumped down in brackets with commensurate results... ^_^

It' kind'a like going from pee-wee Football to Youth level to Jr. High to High School... Ya take your lumps until you get used to playing with the "big boys". :P

I have been in each lance and even the #1 guy in the drop. Does not influence how the Game runs in my Commando. 16 losses 8 wins 22 deaths no kills. Highest damage to date...87. Average >23. And I play Lights the least, and next to NEVER with the Law. :unsure:

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 22 January 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#54 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 January 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Strangely, I do OK in PUG in my Assaults But when with the Guys...
I see how good I am not. :unsure:

yeah i have a similar problem... why do I and my 1-2 mates get put against 7-12 man units? shouldnt it recognise that we are bearly a step above a pug group?

#55 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

View PostPahrias, on 22 January 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

yeah i have a similar problem... why do I and my 1-2 mates get put against 7-12 man units? shouldnt it recognise that we are bearly a step above a pug group?

There aren't enough groups in the queue...game population is too low.

#56 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostDaZur, on 22 January 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

The imagery in my mind when I read this made me laugh out loud... Kudos.

People think I'm trolling when I insist they stop whining and sack up. My game experience exists deep within the bowels of adversity. If I can play 90% of matches with a smile, endure the same losing streaks and poor performances below my ability, then anyone can suck it up and bring joy back to their MWO gaming experience.

The biggest thing is not letting the grind and the desire to have it all now, sideline you from enjoying the journey.

#57 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 January 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

I have been in each lance and even the #1 guy in the drop. Does not influence how the Game runs in my Commando. 16 losses 8 wins 22 deaths no kills. Highest damage to date...87. Average >23. And I play Lights the least, and next to NEVER with the Law. :unsure:

You kind'a answered your own question... You'e piloting a light. ;) You my friend are an Assault pilot.

Take me for example... I'm okay in a medium, deadly in a heavy but next to useless in a light or assault. That said, I know my limits and play within them.

When I drop in CW and my hand forced... I leave my assault in the garage, bring two heavies (because I'm a better contributor in them than the assault) a medium and the obligatory light to complete the quartet. Damn the tonnage...

Your lance positioning tends to reflect your station within that match composite... That said, regardless of which lance, in a light you are still consistently a bad light pilot.

It's not a bad thing... Ya just gotta resign to that reality. :P

#58 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostDaZur, on 22 January 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

I don't remember specifically but I have no idea how ELO works so that could very well have been it.

#59 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 21 January 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Mysterious ELO? I didn't know that Electronic Light Orchestra was that mysterious! Then again I've often wondered how they made their instruments talk :lol:

#60 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 January 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

They still have a chance to get it right with the Steam release.

Right? :)

Sure, but that requires PGI deliver a quality series of tutorials. I mean.. the first/last/only tutorial that was released around Sept 2013. I guess adding "new modes" has a better track record of being yearly (Conquest - 2012, Skirmish - 2013, Dropship - 2014).

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 January 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Has it gotten worse in the last month or so?

It hasn't gotten worse but is has certainly not gotten better in general.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users