#61 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 January 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Strangely, I do OK in PUG in my Assaults But when with the Guys...
I see how good I am not. :unsure:

That's really where we get the majority of our complaining in the solo queue. New players that didn't learn anything useful from the tutorial or group players that simply can't believe how the people in the solo queue play.

#62 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 22 January 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

There aren't enough groups in the queue...game population is too low.

my point is, that we shouldnt quailfy. i do realise that the overall game population is too low in general, but they would be better off pulling more skilled solo players to fill those slot, since us 2-3 noobs are going to be a detriment to the team. it should only grab groups of 4 or more, i.e. a single lance to a full force.

Edit: I am assuming it can determine overall skill of a player reliably of course... lol but it should notice that the 2 guys im grouping with have less than 100 games.

Edited by Pahrias, 22 January 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#63 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostPahrias, on 22 January 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

my point is, that we shouldnt quailfy. i do realise that the overall game population is too low in general, but they would be better off pulling more skilled solo players to fill those slot, since us 2-3 noobs are going to be a detriment to the team. it should only grab groups of 4 or more, i.e. a single lance to a full force.

Edit: I am assuming it can determine overall skill of a player reliably of course... lol but it should notice that the 2 guys im grouping with have less than 100 games.

Keep in mind we've been there before. They separated the groups from the solos for a reason. You and your friends may be "noobs," but a lot of the groups that would troll the solos aren't.

#64 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 21 January 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

Generally the more average a player you are the shorter the MM search times. If you're extremely good or extremely bad at the game the wait times are considerably longer.

It usually takes me a minimum of four minutes to find a game (if it doesn't time out).

INTERESTING. I know lately the wait times seem 2-4 minutes depending.

As to the games, they have been better balanced than I can ever remember.
Often going down to 2-3 players on each side till the "tilt" and its over.

I only get one..maybe two "rolls" a day, either we get stompled or we stomp them. not fun, but its over quick

#65 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

As a noob who has played a ton of MMOs, I still say the problem is a lack of pug comms. The things that are now second-nature to you are still my focus, ie its hard to pay attention to team chat when I am still trying to master the basics and get unstuck from the wall I drove into by accident. And stopping to type back? Right now that's suicide for me.

PGI should look at how DDO handles it - as soon as you join a group you are dropped into a comms channel with just those people. Would really enhance the PUG experience and make your life easier.

#66 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 22 January 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

As a noob who has played a ton of MMOs, I still say the problem is a lack of pug comms. The things that are now second-nature to you are still my focus, ie its hard to pay attention to team chat when I am still trying to master the basics and get unstuck from the wall I drove into by accident. And stopping to type back? Right now that's suicide for me.

PGI should look at how DDO handles it - as soon as you join a group you are dropped into a comms channel with just those people. Would really enhance the PUG experience and make your life easier.

Looks like they focusing resources into in game comms very soon. It'll help, but comms don't gauranteed people we use it, use it properly or even speak the same language.

#67 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

Ladies and Gents,

The MM can easily be coded to account for; when player#1 has been drinking too much, player#2 is distracted by his tv, player#3 has never played the game before and thought he was getting into a MMO, player #4 is ready and still hot after a 3 win streak, player#5 is afk, player #6 is also afk, player #7 is in another window and afk, player #8 is playing on an outdated PC, player#9 forgot to load ammo into his build, player #10 made a joke build, player #11 is a TK'er and player #12 is Obama (who is obviously the one to blame for all of this)

Chill out! Any first grader could write the code to ensure that you are always on a team composed of pure professional mechwarriors.

Sarcasm aside, what the MM truly needs is rank. Something that says, I have played 3000 matches so I have no excuse not to understand how to torso twist. It should also automatically assign the highest ranked players into the leadership roles. IE Lance Leaders, and Company Commander. Would it suck if the Company Commander was a total waste of oxygen supply? Yes, but as it stands any ol body can assume command, so why not? The military is filled with people who think their superiors are morons. This is normal. If there is a clear indication that Player #1 is high ranked and obviously may have some experience playing this game. People are a little more likely to follow them. It doesn't assure it, it isnt even mandatory. But it does give 'at first glance' a semblance of order.

#68 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

The matchmaker is pretty broken , The score sheet at the end of a game is almost always pretty damning to the skill difference on teams.

And if you dare to play outside of prime time the server numbers are clearly so low you can die in a game having gotten 2-3 kills the game be 6-2 advantage to your team you check allied mechs in spectate still in pretty healthy to fresh mechs. outnumber the enemy 10-6 and still watch them lose because the skill gap is so lobsided. This happens so much off primetime they screwed the game lost players through it and more will keep leaving because of the state of the MM.

Another thing ive noticed

I'm a god in a heavy
Average in a medium
Pretty poor in a assault
And pure derp in a light.

And it doesn't seem to account for this when I'm facing opponents reguardless of my weight class seems to be no diff.

#69 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 22 January 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Keep in mind we've been there before. They separated the groups from the solos for a reason. You and your friends may be "noobs," but a lot of the groups that would troll the solos aren't.

I always questioned this thinking. If we were pit against Who Ever was across from us. How can we be considered to be farming. As a group or a PUG. We expect to face some players better and some less experienced Thus we ALL farm the weak. Including you Will.

#70 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

I really find it hard to believe that there are that many new players flooding this game that all the pros are getting swamped carrying them. But it sounds like a comfortable narrative.

#71 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostCarcass23, on 24 January 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

Sarcasm aside, what the MM truly needs is rank. Something that says, I have played 3000 matches so I have no excuse not to understand how to torso twist.

Unfortunately number of drops is not a very good indicator of skill. There are people I know who have been playing since closed beta and they still aren't very good. There are people who picked the game up relatively recently and are quite good. It all comes down to if you are working to get better, or if you are just slamming the drop button over and over without much thought.

I don't know if you remember this, but at one point Elo was bugged and heavily inflated your score based on number of drops. When they fixed it and made based on performance, match quality improved.

#72 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Ladies and Gents,

The MM can easily be coded to account for; when player#1 has been drinking too much, player#2 is distracted by his tv, player#3 has never played the game before and thought he was getting into a MMO, player #4 is ready and still hot after a 3 win streak, player#5 is afk, player #6 is also afk, player #7 is in another window and afk, player #8 is playing on an outdated PC, player#9 forgot to load ammo into his build, player #10 made a joke build, player #11 is a TK'er and player #12 is Obama (who is obviously the one to blame for all of this)

Here... a picture that matches your description:
Spoiler

#73 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

Matchmakers is Evil Incarnate but not just with teammate and elo, it is the Devil......the Devil I say. Examples.
Drop in the New Dire with JJ you will get Veridian Bog 5 out of 7 times. Great Map for Basic ING a new Whale at slug speeds.... or Take a Srm brawler , you are bound to get Alpine peaks,... a long range fighting map, Hot mech you know your gonna get Tourmaline, Terra therma back to back over and over again. Matchmaker became Self Aware @ 05:40 pm zulu time and has given itself a Name LUCIFER. :)

#74 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 24 January 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

Matchmakers is Evil Incarnate but not just with teammate and elo, it is the Devil......the Devil I say. Examples.
Drop in the New Dire with JJ you will get Veridian Bog 5 out of 7 times. Great Map for Basic ING a new Whale at slug speeds.... or Take a Srm brawler , you are bound to get Alpine peaks,... a long range fighting map, Hot mech you know your gonna get Tourmaline, Terra therma back to back over and over again. Matchmaker became Self Aware @ 05:40 pm zulu time and has given itself a Name LUCIFER. :)

:lol: Though I don't find the MM to be evil I do find that when I am in a hot Mech I get Caustic/Tourmaline as well.

#75 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

My biggest problem with Elo/MM it the time it wastes finding me a match "with people of equal skill". Every drop is a roll one way or another. Just drop me in a match and stop having me spend half my time playing watching the Searching screen. There are enough people on this weekend and I'm playing the less that 10% light queue.

#76 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:29 AM

Ladies and Gents,

Chill out! Any first grader could write the code to ensure that you are always on a team composed of pure professional mechwarriors.

Sarcasm aside, what the MM truly needs is rank. Something that says, I have played 3000 matches so I have no excuse not to understand how to torso twist. It should also automatically assign the highest ranked players into the leadership roles. IE Lance Leaders, and Company Commander. Would it suck if the Company Commander was a total waste of oxygen supply? Yes, but as it stands any ol body can assume command, so why not? The military is filled with people who think their superiors are morons. This is normal. If there is a clear indication that Player #1 is high ranked and obviously may have some experience playing this game. People are a little more likely to follow them. It doesn't assure it, it isnt even mandatory. But it does give 'at first glance' a semblance of order.

Your sarcasm-fu is strong.

The REAL problem with the matchmaker is that they can't program anything that could be classified as "simple" into it. You'd think it would be fairly easy for them to stratify people in some manner so you could keep people together with others of a similar skill ranking.

Nope.

They re-wrote the damn thing so that they wouldn't have to put out any tutorials....they figure just dump them in with everyone else, they'll either learn to play and waste money on the game or they'll just leave. PGI really doesn't care about retention at all.

#77 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:08 AM

so what your saying is that a 3 man grp of veterans would stomp in the pug que? or that a 2 man team will run rampant? I find that hard to believe. not that im saying your wrong, just hard to believe. an 8-12 man team yeah i can see it, but i doubt that even the really solid vets would make that much of an impact at the 2-3 man level, especially when coupled with 8-9 pugs.... and even if they do make such a solid impact at that level, id rather go up against them with my 1-2 lance mates, than against a 12-man.

#78 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

To be more accurate he is a Newb not a Noob. Two distinct gaming creatures. I am fine playing a long side Newbs. But Noobs... take the cake.

#79 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

sigh, here we are again.

for 2-3 weeks I was bragging (in another forum) about how AWESOME the games have been lately.
No more rollstomps, most, if not all games battled with 5-6 players left on both sides till the "tilt", some going down to the wire, mecho e' mecho with minutes to spare. Those were GREAT...

and they're gone...

I think I get one "GG" a night now... We roll them, they roll us....blah......blah........blah
I used to stay up late to get just one more battle in, or sneak one in before work......now? Getting caught up on netflix after 2-3 battles, a quick chat on comms and pfffffft....do something else.

what happened? A flood of new players? That would be GREAT..but I'm not supposed to see new players. I shouldn't be dropping with those crazy high ELO competitive players we see in the top 100 all the time either.

#80 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

....AND speaking of drops, ques etc. We (2-3 of us) will sit on comms, and talk about the pug drops we are in, vs. teaming up and used as filler for 8-12 man drops.

Two is about thee worse way to drop into a game. You are nothing more than filler. Cannon fodder.
The other side is almost always an 8 and a 4, two 6's, a 12, three 4's...and your team most times feels like six 2's or a 4 and pairs....really?
Why not do for pugs the same, paired drops, solo drops and the REST of the mech world

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users