Ok, So Very Happy About The Urbie, But Have To Admit, I Think The "feel" Of The Official Art Is A Bit Off.

182 replies to this topic

#41 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostBrody319, on 23 January 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

I have really bad eye sight. My eye doctor says on a scale of 1-10 of needing glasses I'm at a 15.

anyway, I tried my best and I think I found where some of my issue comes up
Posted Image

The top of the urbie's size has changed with the legs. I don't mind the top of the urbie, I would be fine if the legs were shorter and fatter, just the top I think is fine.

damn it bishop! don't tell me "go for it" then do it yourself! Makes me look inferior!

hey at least you did the opacity/transparency thing...I forgot how.

#42 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

View PostUtilyan, on 23 January 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

I think we should get random sized urbanmechs........with serial#z and rights to sell them to other players.

And bishop ......its random so look when you get your first urb......they give you like one of them MechCommander urbs lol :lol:

Posted Image

That looks like the most XL friendly mech since the catapult.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostLil Cthulhu, on 23 January 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

That looks like the most XL friendly mech since the catapult.

but man is it gonna get legged a lot...... no ammo in dem legs!!!! :lol:

#44 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

but man is it gonna get legged a lot...... no ammo in dem legs!!!! :lol:

Legs? Where we're going, we don't need no stinkin legs!

#45 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

hey at least you did the opacity/transparency thing...I forgot how.

Use you have Paint.Net, (which is what I use for quick work like this)
Go to the Layer tab, then the layer property. I had to make a second short urbie and make it a new layer, then merge them after it was properly transparent.

#46 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

Think Bishop is the king of Urbies.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostXetelian, on 23 January 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Think Bishop is the king of Urbies.

I have been called worse.

#48 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

Greeting all,

At some point in reducing the height and leg length we run into a design and animation issue;
- with being able to produce a moving and believable model,
- with having the movement speed and foot placement match the travel distance requirements,
- and not turning into a cartoonish presentation of leg and stride movement.

It's a rather easy process to calculate the leg length, stride distance, to get the required movement speed needed for the legs to propel the 'Mech at it's top speed. (leg length, stride distance, travel distance = speed) Those parameters would be required for its animation model and the artists to render movement of the model, and it appear correct in the game.
- Too many of the models now present far too fast leg movement for the stride distance.
(we all saw what happened to the 'Stalker' when they animators speed up the leg speed, cartoonish movement)

I understand that with animation of a 3d model it basically a group of loosely connected parts following a predicted path, with an armature as it's guide. But here we have plenty of real world applications and models for reference on how these perimeter's should be followed. Physics models detailing how the structure should be connected, moved, balanced, to show walking strides and to achieve it's in-game movement. (quite a few real world constructions that follow these and more methods to produce real movement)
- This is for the standard model leg design and not the reverse 'chicken walkers' structure.

Just some ideas, and concerns,
9erRed

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

View Post9erRed, on 23 January 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

Greeting all,

At some point in reducing the height and leg length we run into a design and animation issue;
- with being able to produce a moving and believable model,
- with having the movement speed and foot placement match the travel distance requirements,
- and not turning into a cartoonish presentation of leg and stride movement.

It's a rather easy process to calculate the leg length, stride distance, to get the required movement speed needed for the legs to propel the 'Mech at it's top speed. (leg length, stride distance, travel distance = speed) Those parameters would be required for its animation model and the artists to render movement of the model, and it appear correct in the game.
- Too many of the models now present far too fast leg movement for the stride distance.
(we all saw what happened to the 'Stalker' when they animators speed up the leg speed, cartoonish movement)

I understand that with animation of a 3d model it basically a group of loosely connected parts following a predicted path, with an armature as it's guide. But here we have plenty of real world applications and models for reference on how these perimeter's should be followed. Physics models detailing how the structure should be connected, moved, balanced, to show walking strides and to achieve it's in-game movement. (quite a few real world constructions that follow these and more methods to produce real movement)
- This is for the standard model leg design and not the reverse 'chicken walkers' structure.

Just some ideas, and concerns,
9erRed

valid points, though ALWAYS a concern also when you consider the variables, in this game.

For instance a "stock" Urbanmech, travels at 32 Kph, and thus long, fluid legs and strides would look out of place. Conversely, the same model might have to be able to move at 107 kph. Same animation really has trouble covering both, well.

One thing this model should not encounter, at least,. is clipping.

#50 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

valid points, though ALWAYS a concern also when you consider the variables, in this game.

For instance a "stock" Urbanmech, travels at 32 Kph, and thus long, fluid legs and strides would look out of place. Conversely, the same model might have to be able to move at 107 kph. Same animation really has trouble covering both, well.

One thing this model should not encounter, at least,. is clipping.

I imagine the walking and running animation will likely be reused and thus will probably be off anyway. Maybe the Jenner's or Firestarter's

#51 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

go for it.

I'm used to people not having any ability to eye proportion, lol.

Posted Image

Lookie there..the guy who did the editing knows what he is talking about. (Because...ya know, I only adjusted the vertical scale, not horizontal?)

So same width, tiny size, "dead zones" that are within 10% of each other, and total reduction of almost 25% in height...and that is going to make it LESS survivable?

*SMH*

I̩̭̮̞̤̹n̦̦̮͎̞̰i͔̞͔ͅt̩̣͖̣i͙̩̰̦̟a̻͔͇͍̜̭̘t̠ͅe̱͉̩̱̺̲̙̠ ̗̠̹̥̱͇E̮͚̤̱n͎̫̞̫̠̹̻͓̳h͎a͔̙n͉̪͇̰̣̠c̦̲̘͓͚̻̫̝ͅḛ͉͚̩͈ḓ͚ ̠̺̘̠̺̲̲̹I̥̳̲m̪̻͎a͎̜̝g̰̤̥͚͙̯i̜̠̜͔̰͓͈͇̖n͉̠̪g̳͈

#52 EGG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Yeah I was going to get the $20 pack, but the Urby looks like a pear. I was expecting the classic trashcan on legs shape that's always been in the artwork.

#53 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 23 January 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

I like the squished version.

I'm torn between the two, but I think squished is better overall. Though in the old art, and the models, the urbie always looked extra leggy.

#54 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

I feel bad for saying that. It looks cool, make no mistake. I just....

I think it looks too slim. Too tall. Too..... tactical.

While I don't think Urbie needs be treated as a joke, I do think he needs his potbelly proportions.

For example, the official Ortho.
Posted Image

Looks killer. Just..... not quite "Urbie".

So..... I downscaled the whole mech 15%, then the legs and extra 10% on top of that to this:
Posted Image

or for side by side comparo:
Posted Image

Much more R2D2, yes?

Urbie, IMO, and by lore, should be about Commando height, or a skosh shorter, but with that beer keg torso like a hunchback. Since the model hasn't even been started, maybe if enough people agree, we can get the proportions changed (even slightly).

What say you guys?

MECH GOOMBA?
MECH GOOMBA!!!

#55 Spades Kincaid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach SC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

The second version looks a little -too- squished imo. Especially the 'body'. Going to agree with a previous person who said it looks a bit like a ufo on legs. I think the top of the original is spot on.

That said I tried a middle ground, with only from under the twist ring down (waist and legs) shortened by 15% and to me it looks a bit better.

Posted Image

Thoughts?

Edited by Spades Kincaid, 24 January 2015 - 01:54 AM.

#56 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

This version or bust. Without giant round torso, it is not an Urbie. Same deal with its slow speed.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 23 January 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#57 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 January 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

This version or bust.

Posted Image

Complete with headgear. :ph34r:

#58 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 January 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Complete with headgear. :ph34r:

and Cigar....must have the Cigar for ultimate swag.

View PostSpades Kincaid, on 23 January 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

The second version looks a little -too- squished imo. Especially the 'body'. Going to agree with a previous person who said it looks a bit like a ufo on legs. I think the top of the original is spot on.

That said I tried a middle ground, with only from under the twist ring down (waist and legs) reduced by 15% and to me it looks a bit better.

Posted Image

Thoughts?

Torn, both of the squater versions look better than the OG, and the OG looks pretty good. As long as it isn't overly huge, im good whatever the proportions, if they make the urbie too tall, there's gonna be issues...

#59 Spades Kincaid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach SC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

View PostOzealot, on 23 January 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Bah, if this get's through I will start a thread about every Mech which proportions I dislike and try to sway the masses. Heck, why not about simply everything I personally don't like. Some people simply can't have enough - first you get this thing ingame finally (fine, new mech, cool community oriented move from PGI) but next you want pre-release quirks, your preferred proportions, your preferred engine cap, your preferred geometry and whatnot. Friggin hilarious. As the crowd of Yesman is. But go forth, PAY for that thing so there will be worthy new additions to MWO built from that money. Hopefully you all get lured in and after it's release (and the sale ends, hahahaha) its nerfbashed to Oblivion because the same crowd who yells atm is frequently downed by AC20/PPC Urbies when they field their other Mechs because the trashcan is overused, maybe even the new ballistic-poptart-META and nobody wants this thing anymore in the field because it's a friggin gamebreaker. I just have to look at it's form to realize it's got hilarious torso-hitboxes and that's why it's legs are so big - so you can actually down it from every side. With a torsotwistspeed like that, oh my. Hope you all puke when it's finally out. Looking forward to this... *evil laughter* An opinion. And not yours. Deal with it.

PPC Urbies, PPC Urbies everywhere...

Funny, the OP and this thread is an opinion and not yours. You didn't seem to deal with it very well based on that rant.

*shrugs*

Edited by Spades Kincaid, 23 January 2015 - 11:49 PM.

#60 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

View PostSpades Kincaid, on 23 January 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

That said I tried a middle ground, with only from under the twist ring down (waist and legs) reduced by 15% and to me it looks a bit better.

Posted Image

Thoughts?

I like it!

Posted Image

View PostOzealot, on 23 January 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Bah, if this get's through I will start a thread about every Mech which proportions I dislike and try to sway the masses. Heck, why not about simply everything I personally don't like. Some people simply can't have enough - first you get this thing ingame finally (fine, new mech, cool community oriented move from PGI) but next you want pre-release quirks, your preferred proportions, your preferred engine cap, your preferred geometry and whatnot. Friggin hilarious. As the crowd of Yesman is. But go forth, PAY for that thing so there will be worthy new additions to MWO built from that money. Hopefully you all get lured in and after it's release (and the sale ends, hahahaha) its nerfbashed to Oblivion because the same crowd who yells atm is frequently downed by AC20/PPC Urbies when they field their other Mechs because the trashcan is overused, maybe even the new ballistic-poptart-META and nobody wants this thing anymore in the field because it's a friggin gamebreaker. I just have to look at it's form to realize it's got hilarious torso-hitboxes and that's why it's legs are so big - so you can actually down it from every side. With a torsotwistspeed like that, oh my. Hope you all puke when it's finally out. Looking forward to this... *evil laughter* An opinion. And not yours. Deal with it.

PPC Urbies, PPC Urbies everywhere...

The difference between the OP's idea, and whatever it is you're rambling on about boils down to 2 points:

1- OP's idea is actually good.
2- The Urbie hasn't been modeled yet, so there's a chance to get this alternate design approved, without wasting hundreds to thousands of design and modeling hours.

Also, are you actually making a pre-release geniune, no jokes, Urbie OP complaint?

Second, why so butt hurt about the Urbie?

Finally, just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you should pollute the atmosphere with it, nor does it mean you're not wrong. Unlike your statements, this is a fact. Choke on it.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 24 January 2015 - 12:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users