55 replies to this topic

#21 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

Looks promising and it's the Resistance mech that has me the most interested (Grasshopper in a close second place). I'm still not sure whether I would have liked the 4R as the variant with the bonus instead of the 5D. Guess we'll have to wait and play test them before making any assumptions. Also, quirks and hitboxes will surely be a big part of how viable this mech is.

#22 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 27 January 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

The low hanging gorilla arms on the 'Phract are infamous. You have to expose over half of the Stormcrow's front profile to fire anything that is not a missile. Ditto for the Timber and Dire Wolves. I don't see how you can argue with a straight face that "Not one of those mechs have low slung weapons".

Im not sure if you cant read or not.. The distance between cockpit to hardpoint location is the problem. The CTF doesnt have the issue because it has hardpoints level to the cockpit.

Take a Summoner out and you will see what people mean by low slung weapons.

Edited by mogs01gt, 27 January 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#23 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 27 January 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Im not sure if you cant read or not.. The distance between cockpit to hardpoint location is the problem. The CTF doesnt have the issue because it has hardpoints level to the cockpit.

Take a Summoner out and you will see what people mean by low slung weapons.

The CTF most definitely does have low slung arm hardpoints. Personally never had an issue with the Summoner regarding hardpoint placement.

#24 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 27 January 2015 - 05:41 AM, said:

Not one of those have low slung weapons....

I will dumb this down. Look a the location of the cockpit, now look at the location of the arms. Its going to have the same issues as the multitude of under performing mechs we already have in MWO. Most under performing mechs have low slung weapons with no hardpoints mounted near the cockpit.
the only people that suffer from low slung weapons are ridge humpers that like to expose their face and ct every time they fire. good medium pilots like to sneak and peak with only the tip of their weapon around the corner of cover. the enforcer will do that just fine like most of the other mechs out there ppl ignore.

#25 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 27 January 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you cant read or not. The distance between cockpit to hardpoint location is the problem. The CTF doesnt have the issue because it has hardpoints level to the cockpit.

That is where you are wrong. The advantage of high-mounted hard-points is the ability to fight "Hull Down".

Posted Image

*Peekaboo*

Cockpit position is only a factor in so much as it effects visibility. In fact this is one of the Stormcrow's few significant flaws. With so much of the mech's surface area above the cockpit, the enemy will always be able to see (and shoot at) you before you can see them when cresting a hill.

View PostNapes339, on 27 January 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

The CTF most definitely does have low slung arm hardpoints. Personally never had an issue with the Summoner regarding hardpoint placement.

That's because the Summoner's hard-points are actually higher up on the mech than the Cataphract's. Take a look at the two side-by-side next time you get an opportunity in game. ;)

#26 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 27 January 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

That's because the Summoner's hard-points are actually higher up on the mech than the Cataphract's. Take a look at the two side-by-side next time you get an opportunity in game. ;)

I believe you and the only reason I even mentioned is because Mogs pointed it out...

#27 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

Size of Mech will tell.

Right now it is a Hunchback / Centurion pilot's dream, Ballistic & Energy with JJ. Lotta arm weapons, blow the LT and a good portion of weapons go with it then blow off the other arm to leave it toothless. LT hardpoints look to be near waistline so no ridge peeking for it. No Hunch vulnerability but no arm shield.

5D will becomes several variants from Brawler to Sniper to Striker; best hardpoints, JJ & speed (what a lot of Trebs can do at max engine) combo, best chance for a higher tier than the other 2.

4R is more an Energy boat; possibly AC20 or AC10 plus Brawling Energy; worst speed just under what most Cents & Hunchies can do.

5P is a joke; hardpoints similar to a Locust-1V / Spider-5K; has speed (what a lot of Trebs can do at max) but horrible JJs. ERPPC & 4 MGs Trollforcer coming, someone will try triple AC2 / UAC5; probably should get quirks for one of those 2 Ballistics similar to the Jager-DD.

#28 Hurrey

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 29 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

The only question I have regarding this is can it AC20 ? mmm

#29 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

that depends on whether the arm has a lower actuator. can't really tell from the concept art, but if it can... ho lee sheeyat.

#30 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Enforcer? At fifty tons, I suppose it will feel a lot like a Centurion or Hunchback in terms of agility, and it will share the same armor stats (not necessarily "tankiness" or lack thereof, not that I know much about what is and is not "tanky") and weight limits.
I was never terribly awesome with either Cents or Hunchies, but I am certainly going to give the Enforcer a chance before I shelf mine. :)

I still like to pull out my CN9-D every now and then and yell "Hi ho, Turbo Centurion, AWAY!" at the beginning of each match. XD

#31 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 30 January 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

not that I know much about what is and is not "tanky"

the general term reflects a mech's ability (or lack thereof) to spread incoming damage across multiple components while maintaining decent firepower on target by torso twisting, using jump jets, and/or being a Spider.

examples of tanky mechs include the Firestarter with its massive shoulders and multiple hardpoints, the Centurion with the shield arm and reasonable hardpoint location and number, the Shadow Hawk with its shield arm, jump jets and crazy efficient hitboxes, etc.

examples of un-tanky mechs would be the Awesome with its barn door physique, the King Crab with its wide, flat torso just begging to be shot at from high ground, the Cataphract with its sluggish torso twist, etc.

#32 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

View PostHurrey, on 30 January 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

No! No more AC20 quirks on mediums X.X There are so many mediums that can AC20 already...

I would like to see:
5D: AC5/UAC5/LBX10 quirks
4R: AC10 quirks
5P: AC2 quirks (especially if ghost heat on the AC2's is removed)

Edited by Punk Oblivion, 30 January 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#33 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:54 AM

you dont need that,the 30 cbill boost variant can mount jump jets and 2PPC:s and AC5,its the jumpsniping version of TBT-7K

#34 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

50 ton mech with mixed energy/ballistic loadouts and JJ's, I don't know why it should perform bad. Lots of similar Mediums in that bracket which do a good job...

Also the mechs can be as bad as they want, as long as I can put my Steiner Camo on them I'll love them. Panther, Enforcer, Grasshopper.. just not sure if I should get the Zeus. It doesn't cover anything I really want.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 31 January 2015 - 03:02 AM.

#35 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

Probably not unless they allow it on the 5P, the made up variant.

#36 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Scale and hItboxes are the most imminent issues that PGI need to get right, the first time.

As far as hardpoints, the ENF-5P looks to be the hardest to come up with decent builds for, at least for me. I guess dual AC5 w/4t ammo and blah blah something or other.

Edited by Kevjack, 31 January 2015 - 06:08 PM.

#37 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

im looking forward to the one with 2 uac5 standard, hoping it has some uac5 quirks

#38 UnHolyLegion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 31 January 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

Also the mechs can be as bad as they want, as long as I can put my Steiner Camo on them I'll love them. Panther, Enforcer, Grasshopper.. just not sure if I should get the Zeus. It doesn't cover anything I really want.

I just want another giant stompy 85ton robit! ;)

As far mediums go i haven't played too much in my cent AH or the shotgun spammer(or any meds. for that matter lol) I have sitting in my mechbay. But to get all three right off the bat, I'll run around in them for a while :)

#39 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

I think ppl would be concerned that it would replace the centurion, but that wouldnt be entirely true since the centurion can use missiles. So in my opinion the enforcer will be a better choice for centurion pilots who never liked missiles, replacing those slots with lasers or even more ballistic slots.

Personally i think it looks fairly badass on the art AND the 5P actually uses my typical dual ultra autocannon setup for mediums but instead having one on both sides rather than just one side. The useless spare heatsinks would have to go tho since it wont really produce that much heat, and possibly the jump jets too to make room for more ammo... 2 tons is rather concerning, who would drive this with so little exactly? gonna need some endo steel in there asap.

#40 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

5D's quirks are up, and as predicted they're LB-10X oriented. it's not as crazy as with the CN9-D, but decent enough. also, the mech's silhouette looks like it can take a beating. (also extra structure on arms and legs, swoot!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users