Gargoyle Prime

BattleMechs

19 replies to this topic

#1 SJ MetalDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pirate
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

really can not find anything use full to do with this mech ... I think it needs a buff in the way
of some quirks

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

Simply put, if there's an 8/8 restriction for omnipod quirks...this would probably get the best quirks on a Clan mech. Rival for some of the lowest amount, along with poor types and poor mounting locations.

More than likely, the Primes will just be avoided, or used with a Gauss. We'd have to see how PGI does Clam quirks. Unlikely the semi-Stock Prime will be any good due to a multitude of bad construction rules and hardpoints.

Edited by Mcgral18, 29 January 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#3 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

All of the builds that work on it are better done with a Stormcrow. Quirks are the only thing that will save it.

That said, I really enjoy piloting the thing.

#4 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:04 AM

lb 20
5 med laz
Tyman

#5 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostSJ MetalDeath, on 29 January 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

really can not find anything use full to do with this mech ... I think it needs a buff in the way
of some quirks

The prime is okay, but definitely leaves some to be desired. I've found it makes good pulse brawler.

6xMPL

Alternatively, you could do 4xMPL on the left arm, 1xLPL in the center torso for an asymmetrical build where you can use your right side a shield. The Gargie has a nasty tendency to take CT damage from the side with it's barrel shaped torso, so be careful and don't get caught in the open.

The D model does everything better of course, and can do an asymmetrical build with 6xMPL, which became my primary build for mastering. I just ran 6xMPL on on 3 for the most part and did okay.

Edited by Greenjulius, 29 January 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#6 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

I think the Gargoyle would be better served with better ST omnipod/hardpoint options and/or unlocked ES than with quirks. Quirks just can't fix low slung arms, limited crit space in the arms, 95% of the firepower being located in the arms, and not nearly enough and badly located hardpoints, and lack of podspace to mount enough weapons.

The limited weapons payload says standoff/support mech, the low slung arm hard points and speed says brawler. This schizophrenic arrangement ends up making this mech underwhelming in any role.

#7 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

Wait for the GAR-C arm (or buy it now). It lets you kit this thing out like a Nova Prime. 6 CERML in the right arm, 4 in the left, 1 in the CT (or two in the GAR-D CT). It opens up the fitment options on the Gargoyle quite a bit, too.

#8 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 29 January 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

I think the Gargoyle would be better served with better ST omnipod/hardpoint options and/or unlocked ES than with quirks. Quirks just can't fix low slung arms, limited crit space in the arms, 95% of the firepower being located in the arms, and not nearly enough and badly located hardpoints, and lack of podspace to mount enough weapons.

The limited weapons payload says standoff/support mech, the low slung arm hard points and speed says brawler. This schizophrenic arrangement ends up making this mech underwhelming in any role.

I think everyone already knew it would be a sub-par to at best average mech when they saw the hardpoints. It can only be played effectively as a pseudo-brawler/skirmisher. It can't stand long as the primary target, but can trade fire with lots of smaller energy weapons. The new "C" variant arm with 6 energy hardpoints helps that a lot.

Dangerous in a "Fatty Nova" kind of way.

However, it's easy to literally disarm when boating energy, turning it into a big stupid looking torso with little to no offensive capabilities.

Edited by Greenjulius, 29 January 2015 - 09:40 AM.

#9 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

1 LPL
6 SPLs

#10 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

Use alot of energy, CLPL CT, like 8 SLs in the arms, something like that could work well enough.

#11 TamCoan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Agreed, it's a tough one. The stock load out is one of the worst I've seen drop. I ended up swapping both arms and putting 2 LPL and 3 ERML into it and it does OK. The thing about the garg is that it is a large and fast target. I tend to play it as a flanker/fast engager. I can move up, take a few shots and soak up some return fire while I get back into cover. I use the lasers to try and focus fire on locations while the armor allows me to stay on target a bit longer.

Generally though it does OK, just doesn't do anything exceptionally well. After I have the chassis mastered I can't see running it much for any reason.

Edited by TamCoan, 29 January 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#12 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

I had a topic with a list of Gargoyle builds

http://mwomercs.com/...that-i-enjoyed/

should be a build for each variant and I believe 2 for the prime at least.

#13 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostSJ MetalDeath, on 29 January 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

of some quirks

It needs endo steel so it can pack on either ballistics or more heatsinks. All the clan heavies and mediums and the Gargoyle without endosteel have serious problems that endo steel would solve.

Warhawk and Direwolf don't need endo steel because it wouldn't help them outside of some very specific builds. Warhawk could only use endo steel if it was allowed to also remove FF armor. It would gain 1 ton of pod space doing so.

For now, try this on the prime: Large Pulse Laser center torso, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers each arm. 6 extra heatsinks.

Anyway you swing it, the Gargoyle is just weaker than either Timberwolf or Warhawk.

Edited by Golden Vulf, 29 January 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#14 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostGolden Vulf, on 29 January 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

It needs endo steel so it can pack on either ballistics or more heatsinks. All the clan heavies and mediums and the Gargoyle without endosteel have serious problems that endo steel would solve.

Warhawk and Direwolf don't need endo steel because it wouldn't help them outside of some very specific builds. Warhawk could only use endo steel if it was allowed to also remove FF armor. It would gain 1 ton of pod space doing so.

For now, try this on the prime: Large Pulse Laser center torso, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers each arm. 6 extra heatsinks.

That's pretty similar to my thoughts on it. I also use a LPL in the CT, but I use an LBX 5 on one arm for when it starts building up too much heat, and lasers on the other. There's just not a whole heck of a lot you can do with this thing.

#15 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

I've been running mine with 2 cERLL + 4 cERML + TC1 + rest DHS lately for the range, but I think it definitely does better with some combination of LBX/20 or UAC/20 + cERMLs. It's speed makes it really easy to get in peoples' faces.

#16 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

UAC20, SRM 6, 2xCML, 4xCSL... have to chop and change omnipods but it can really surprise people by blasting through their back in one and a half alphas

#17 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

I roll an LPL in the CT and 6 SPLs in the arms. I'm looking forward to the new right arm in April for 6ERSLs in the right arm and 4 in the left.

#18 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Used mine as 2 LPL, 4 ER Smalls, 1 Med Pulse, 4 extra heatsinks. Decent punch with the 2 LPL, same goes with the 4 smalls at close range.

#19 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

Friends don't let friends pilot Assault mechs that can only carry Medium mech weaponry.

This message brought to you by the letter 'M', for Medium mechs rule, everything else drools!

#20 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

Having success with the D and Prime arms. 2 CUAC5, 2 CERSLAS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users