Battletech/mechwarrior Tabletop Game Still Going?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

Outside of MWO (and a few older games), is there anything new being done with the franchise? I'm wondering if any new mechs are still being designed, etc. Judging from the looks of the mech, I would say most were designed back in the 80s or 90s. I'm wondering if there will ever be a more "modern (in real world)" design?

Also, I tried googling and only found game books up to 1996 or something. Is the franchise totally dead?

#2 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:32 AM

Look on Facebook for Battletech pages. The franchise and TT game is alive and healthy.

Also: Catalyst

http://www.catalystg...com/battletech/

Edited by Vandul, 30 January 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#3 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

Catalyst has put out some good stuff in recent years concerning tabletop games and RPGs.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostXoco, on 30 January 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

Outside of MWO (and a few older games), is there anything new being done with the franchise? I'm wondering if any new mechs are still being designed, etc. Judging from the looks of the mech, I would say most were designed back in the 80s or 90s. I'm wondering if there will ever be a more "modern (in real world)" design?

Also, I tried googling and only found game books up to 1996 or something. Is the franchise totally dead?
TRO3050

Publication information
Publisher FASA
Product code 8614
First published 1990
ISBN-10 1555600905
ISBN-13 978-1555600907

Any other Questions? :huh:

#5 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Yes, it definitely totally exists either in Table Top form, or emulated TT with the Java-based program MegaMek. MWO has little to do with BattleTech.

They have a new Era as well for 3145, with a Technical Readout published in 2013 by Catalyst Game Labs. Additionally it has some new campaign books like "Widowmaker Absorption" and another Technical Readout released this year.

Edited by General Taskeen, 30 January 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#6 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:01 AM

And Battletech Light with Alpha Strike™.

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 30 January 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

They have a new Era as well for 3145, with a Technical Readout published in 2013 by Catalyst Game Labs.  Additionally it has some new campaign books like "Widowmaker Absorption" and another Technical Readout released this year.

I tried reading Dark Age, but damned if I could get into it. Is that the common opinion, or am I on an island?

#8 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

You can play it even on line http://npettinato88....ekwars-dominion

#9 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 January 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

I tried reading Dark Age, but damned if I could get into it. Is that the common opinion, or am I on an island?

It was pretty awful IMO.

#10 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

Not sure, I myself don't mind it simply because its something different in BT and using new designs in TT format. It is what it is, but lots of folks didn't like it. Do you mean the Jihad (Word of Blake) or the actual Dark Age, which occurs after 3081?

Edited by General Taskeen, 30 January 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#11 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:13 AM

Dark Age dislike is pretty common. That said, I reserve my dislike for the models in the clix game *shudder.* I actually like the dark age general storyline a bit better (mainly because the massive FedRat author bias seems to have gone away), and now that the story has moved past the last novel I like it a bit better. I do love most of the 'mechs though. Personal favorites include the Tenshi and the Thor II A configuration (basically a summoner prime but not ammo starved).

Edited by IronLichRich, 30 January 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#12 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 30 January 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Not sure, I myself don't mind it simply because its something different in BT and using new designs in TT format.  It is what it is, but lots of folks didn't like it.  Do you mean the Jihad (Word of Blake) or the actual Dark Age, which occurs after 3081?

The actual dark age, I believe, when all the HPGs go down and everybody started using Agromechs for everything.

#13 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

Thankee. I haven't really known where to look, so I guess I was using all the wrong searches.

#14 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:21 AM

Yup, TT is still producing Technical Readout books. I should know as I am in the credits of a few of them. ;)

There are numerous groups out there who still play the TT. And megamek program is am option as well.

#15 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

Finding miniatures in my area has been difficult. I normally have to order them through Amazon.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 January 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

The actual dark age, I believe, when all the HPGs go down and everybody started using Agromechs for everything.

I like the agro mechs. Haven't read the story or setting.
I'm more partial to agro mechs and their use during the Succession Wars and Clan Invasion, of which there is some but little detail of. Despite their issues I have seen some perform very well against a limited number of Clan mechs and a home field advantage with buildings, forests, etc.

----------

View PostXoco, on 30 January 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Thankee. I haven't really known where to look, so I guess I was using all the wrong searches.

Far as Battletech itself, the board games are all set in 3150 now with all new stuff and new rules.

But to appreciate Battletech, I suggest grabbing Megamek and turning on every single rule you possibly can. Let the computer handle the rules, do some stuff and check out what happens.

Nothing like taking a tank, and wiping Battlemechs out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
8 kills out of 10 enemies attributed to that tank. Twin AC/10s, 4 LRM-5s. Tracked within the first 20 seconds, still slaughtered almost everything.
(Arrows on the map are places that can and will change elevation, creating dynamic walls in this Solaris Arena.)

Missions with summaries.
Posted Image

Maintain an army.
Posted Image

You can find River City in there.
Posted Image

Suffer catastrophic engine failures (Stackpoles). (This pilot was already unconscious when this occurred, hence the mass of ???? because double blind rules and no one on my side to witness my unconscious pilot's mech explode with him inside of it).
Posted Image

Epically fail at surprise ambushes (This Dire Wolf stormed THROUGH the building, destroying it in the process to ambush and surprise the enemy, only for the Shadowhawk to jump behind it and both the Battlemaster and Shadowhawk to kick the Dire Wolf, both of them crippling the Dire Wolf's leg and destroying all four actuators in the process, making it do an instant faceplant).
Posted Image

Posted Image
Create your own mechs because why not?

Posted Image
Enjoy Forest Colony.

And so much more.

Edited by Koniving, 30 January 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#17 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 January 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

Finding miniatures in my area has been difficult. I normally have to order them through Amazon.

Good a place as any to buy em Rhaythe. You could try ironwindmetals.com or hobbiesandgames.com or ariesgamesandminis.com, lots of random hobbist sites. I stick to MegaMek so I can just make my own custom campaigns and what not and avoid clutter/storing minis, although they are fun to have.

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

I actually have a local hobby shop that has some pewter BT minis, but I never really got any other than an MW4-style Sunder once, just for funzies. And I lost/broke him a long time ago. :( Maybe I might get an Omen or Hellstar one day just because I can, I dunno. Or a Lament, those are sexy too. But then I'd have to git gud and figure out how to paint them at least somewhat presentably...

They also still have some Dark Age (heroclix) packs, even for older expansions like Fire For Effect.

Edited by FupDup, 30 January 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#19 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

I would challenge you to a MegaMek game, Taskeen, but I know for a damn fact you would *slaughter* me.

#20 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

If you turn to Ebay for minis, be careful. There are a lot of people out there who have made their own molds and are recasting them. While this may seem an easy way to get the unseen mechs, it really is bad business and the quality of those recasted minis leaves a WHOLE lot to be desired.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users