The Spider 5V Worst Mech In The Game?

77 replies to this topic

#61 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

I just got a PC and started playing last night (first time since closed beta).

In Battletech, the Venom / Spider has always been my favorite stock Battlemech. Jumping is just too **** fun.

In MWO, I played for 12 straight hours last night, and am now 1/3 of the way through unlocking Spider basics, just so I can play a 5V "competitively".

Already unlocked all basics for the 5K and earned enough C-bills to put together the most fun 5V build I could - 250XL, DHS, 2xMPL, 12xJJ, full armor.

Clearing mountains in one jump is more fun than a newbie should be allowed to have. It's wonderful.

#62 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostIaldabaoth, on 05 March 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

I just got a PC and started playing last night (first time since closed beta).

In Battletech, the Venom / Spider has always been my favorite stock Battlemech. Jumping is just too **** fun.

In MWO, I played for 12 straight hours last night, and am now 1/3 of the way through unlocking Spider basics, just so I can play a 5V "competitively".

Already unlocked all basics for the 5K and earned enough C-bills to put together the most fun 5V build I could - 250XL, DHS, 2xMPL, 12xJJ, full armor.

Clearing mountains in one jump is more fun than a newbie should be allowed to have. It's wonderful.
The 5V is great fun, even if it is objectively the 'worst' spider.

I would say try this:

SDR-5V
You don't need 12JJ or full armour - your arms are superflous shields, and more speed is more life.
You can pace my Locust in this thing, plus you have Jump Jets!

Though if you must have 12JJ, I'd still say bump it to an XL270 with SDR-5V

#63 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostGattling Fenn, on 01 February 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Aw yiss. meat.

#64 Chive On

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLittle Gasparilla island

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 05 March 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Aw yiss. meat.

Where is her other arm??

#65 AThousandD

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

View PostChive On, on 05 March 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Where is her other arm??

Folded around her stomach, under her breasts.

As for the Spider V, my favourite of the Spider line:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

I'm not saying every game I play in the V is like this, but it's reliable enough for me to be confident that I'll do well, and have a decent chance at actively influencing the outcome.

2 MPL

#66 R A V 3 N

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

Best worst mech in the game....

#67 VanBurenPhilips

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:49 AM

Off-topic, but I just bought the 5K(C) and elited it in no time (I like this weekend!) I absolutely love it and I had to tell someone.

Just for the guy who had an XL255 in a prospective 5V build: the 5K(C) comes with one, and it's pretty durned cheap this weekend, so if you're not against spending MC on it, now would be a good time. It's also an insanely fun and effective Spider imo. The ERLL quirks are just awesome.

Not turning my back on the 5V though, I still love the ridiculous thing :)

#68 Furyo Chagui

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:14 PM

I recommend the Spider 5K,the actually mech i play. With 4 machineguns and one medium pulse laser it does constant damage and for ur surprise u can do,surely,one kill in game,whatever if u do only 30 damage or 300. The trick was team play,put the heavyes and assaults do the work and u do the support constant damage. Last game ive played i do only 33 damage but i win a kill,the other trick was attack to half damaged enemy mechs,but remember that u are a light,dont stay quiet or 2 shots of AC/20 kill u...

That was my actual configuration of Spider 5K: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7bebfd543065547

Im a begginer and i found my mech,the Spider 5K. Other thing was if u are a pro player like lots of players here,im loled,a Spider 5V do 1000 damage and win the game,incredible really...and in other thread a Raven with 2 ER Large Lasers do the same work. Hopefully one day i do this awesomeness work in battle...but at the moment im done for do 1 kill in some battles. The bad point for do more damage was my computer,that have Intel HD Graphics,4 GB of RAM and Double Core of Intel Celeron at 1.80 Ghz... :(

Here is a video of Spider 5K:

Take Spider 5V to pro players. But is depending of ur gamestyle. Mine was the 5K.

Hope it helps.

#69 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

My spider stats, I had to go to the archived stats for, as I have had the 3 of them moth balled for obviously much too long. I did buy the (C) as it went on sale at some point, but it was actually the second spider. I bought the 5V first, and i do not regret it, it was actually my FIRST light mech. Wow, that was a long ass time ago.

Anyway, my stats show, in general, the other two spiders I did twice the avg dmg, and my W/L was slightly better, but not that much. this makes a lot of sense to me. Why?

because I played that 5V like a batshit captain insane-O on crack. Nowdays, I havent tried it with our new hoverjet nerf. back then, no other mech could come remotely close to the acrobatic shinanigans that thing could. I mean not even CLOSE. I ran, max engine, max JJ, 2 ML and I think max armor, but I may have shaved some arm armor off if need be. I would have to go look at that part.

Avg dmg was just under 150 a match in the matches played till i mastered it and a few others. Keep in mind, it was my first light which meant I was learning both Lights AND spider on it. With 2 ML, that means on avg I landed just under 15 shots on target per match. My K/D ratio was under 1, but that is not surprising because I did not peek a boo. I flat out bum rushed jump brawled anything out there up to streak boat catapults. Those I would let my team devour by luring them into a trap. While the avg is pretty meh, if I were to remove the first couple dozen atches in the thing it would easily be much higher, and I had my share of 500+ dmg games in it. 2 ML, 500+ damage.(way before quirks) Thats a lot of spider trolling.

my favorite trick- Flat out full speed bum rush an assault or heavy, but from jsut to the side, not right at them(but not out of their LOS either. Juke a little, but land a ML shot at them, hopefully at roughly max range, then another right before you get to them. Step two- Jump, jump over their head, laugh and laugh as you see them trying to track you up and over, many many times, this was when the ML recharged and I would paint their stupid faces as I flew over, aiming at cockpit glass(odds of hitting slim at that speed) to help blind if possible with green lights. Float over, let off JJ. NOTE: there should easily be 70% fuel left. Turn in air to face them again(NOTE: you did leave enough room on the other side of them to remain in the air right?) Engage JJ. This stops your fall. Most enemy would try to shoot you at this point but odds of a hit are slim as they are expecting you to drop down. You wont. you wont drop down, until you are so far out of range they give up. Full speed run, and you just float away at full speed lol, as they are either rechargeing the weapons, OR holding fire waiting for you to land, which of course you dont. In the mean time, you let another volley of ML off into their face. Then as you are getting low on fuel, turn legs in a direction of juke/escape, but keep torso squared at them( mostly) so they have a difficult time seeing your next trajectory.

The Spider 5V, when played as such: no other mech will make the enemy hate you as much. I mean, HATE, chase you down right through your team and get shredded just to try to get a hit on your spider. HATE, abandon their team, follow you as you pepper them with ML fire half way across the map, and then you leave them there and go find another victim, removing them from the fuzzball as they plod back. Missing the flying spider leads to anger. anger leads to HATE, Hate leads to making really, really BAD choices and getting rekt while you bloodlust after THAT ******* SPIDER.

Seriously, even though my stats say the other two spiders were more effective dmg wise, its a grey area. My W/L says playing acro-spider hate-magnet was basically equally effective as even doing twice the dmg with ECM on the 5D. I have no idea how the thing would do with MPL quirked now, likely insane in reduction of facetime for the dmg output, but JJ nerf would likely ruin some of my antique tom foolery too.

Just one other thing, this isn't really a group/CW etc mech. this is a "now you PUGS will learn the ways of the darkside" troll/ LOL fun mech.

Hmmm, I might just have to load that puppy up this weekend and go hate-magnet on some red teams.

#70 VanBurenPhilips

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

View PostFuryo Chagui, on 11 March 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

I recommend the Spider 5K,the actually mech i play. With 4 machineguns and one medium pulse laser...

Have you tried it with ERLL? You're obviously very comfortable with your build :) but with the quirks so heavily in favour of ERLL:

Posted Image

...I think it actually fires faster than a ML. Pros: a lot more damage, and you can be a long range sniper as well as a close-in terror. Cons: it will eventually overheat - it's by no means a hot build, but the ML/MPL builds presumably never overheat - and weight, I'm guessing the ML/MPL builds are faster and/or jumpier.

Just to stay on a tangent momentarily, I found the Anansi hardest to get to grips with - finally settled on a build I like for it during the c-bill/hero mech weekend, it's taken a long time (tried lots of things and have settled on 2mpl and SRM4 w/ Artemis). 5K(C) is still stock I think, except for armour distribution, and I love it; 5V is 2ML, max JJ but not max engine until I can afford it; tried a couple of sniper builds on the 5D and quickly settled on PPC, 1ML and one SL. Happy with them all now.

To get back on-topic, what do you all think of the current quirks for the 5V? I gather they used to favour medium pulse, but now it's just a flat rate: 30% to all energy range, cooldown & laser duration. Does this have any effect on what weapons you'd choose for it?

Posted Image

#71 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostVanBurenPhilips, on 18 March 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

Have you tried it with ERLL? You're obviously very comfortable with your build :) but with the quirks so heavily in favour of ERLL:

Posted Image

...I think it actually fires faster than a ML. Pros: a lot more damage, and you can be a long range sniper as well as a close-in terror. Cons: it will eventually overheat - it's by no means a hot build, but the ML/MPL builds presumably never overheat - and weight, I'm guessing the ML/MPL builds are faster and/or jumpier.

Just to stay on a tangent momentarily, I found the Anansi hardest to get to grips with - finally settled on a build I like for it during the c-bill/hero mech weekend, it's taken a long time (tried lots of things and have settled on 2mpl and SRM4 w/ Artemis). 5K(C) is still stock I think, except for armour distribution, and I love it; 5V is 2ML, max JJ but not max engine until I can afford it; tried a couple of sniper builds on the 5D and quickly settled on PPC, 1ML and one SL. Happy with them all now.

To get back on-topic, what do you all think of the current quirks for the 5V? I gather they used to favour medium pulse, but now it's just a flat rate: 30% to all energy range, cooldown & laser duration. Does this have any effect on what weapons you'd choose for it?

Posted Image

To answer your 5V:
There is basically two schools of thought there-
If you like(d) MPL loadout, you were also fine with not running max JJ or engine or both.
If you want to run max engine and JJ, you fit ML.

I strongly prefer the ML, but thats because I am used to it for ages, and IMO why would you not want to run 12JJ on the only mech in the game that can? But to each their own, it is a cheap mech to experiment with if you have a stockpile of crap laying around for the last couple years. if you are new, not sure the 5V should be your go to mech anyway lol.

#72 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

I love the 5V.

My little Icarus is the only thing that bounced off the top of a map.

It can deliver a nasty spider bite with those 2 MPLs (and I haven't even tried it out since quirks). A tactic I favor is running something, shoot, jump, turn 180, shoot again, complete 360 and keep burning off in the original direction. Not many other mechs have that potential. Also works nicely with a LLAS.

Height is great with 12 JJ. Though, I do miss flying across the river in River city, and doing 4x360 spins en route.

#73 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostOvion, on 05 March 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

Though if you must have 12JJ, I'd still say bump it to an XL270 with SDR-5V

This is what I run. The loss of 9KPH is just enough to be noticeable, but not enough to really make a difference at such high speeds - it's a pretty small percentage of the total speed. And you still get 12JJ, and 2 MPL :D

#74 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 22 March 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Height is great with 12 JJ. Though, I do miss flying across the river in River city, and doing 4x360 spins en route.

I'm still hoping they, eventually, bring the jump jets back to being JUMP jets. In fact, they should be even better than they were at first - even then they weren't all that impressive.

#75 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

I've been running my 5V with a 255XL, 12JJ, and 2MPL for awhile; it's a little insufficient in zoom, but I haven't had enough c-bills to buy a 270 or 285 yet.

Lately I've been trying a truly stupid 5K build with the same 255XL (I swap to save cash), 6JJ, and an AC2 with 2 tons of ammo. Effective? no. Hilarious? Oh, yeah.

#76 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Still have fun in my herpderp12jj erLL 5V Spider, honestly 12 JJ even in their current state is quite fun, fall damage still sucks even with the module. if it actually had arm hardpoints I would love this mech but super high jumps + a torso energy hardpoint just cant work well.

#77 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

$0.02

This 'mech is a rite of passage for SDR players. Slap a LL in that CT and start playing tag with the enemy team for XP.

Edited by Hornsby, 28 March 2015 - 04:24 PM.

#78 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

My contribution with a SDR-5V:

Posted Image

That was a while back, before quirks were put in. Had two extremely successful matches in a row, but only remembered to screenshot the second one. Still use the same 2x MPL build today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users