The Spider 5V Worst Mech In The Game?

77 replies to this topic

#21 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:16 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 February 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

1S?.... Did PGI add a new locust variant in game or something? It's stock is only 2 SRM 2's and 1 medium laser with inferrior tech to the 3S.

What weapon hardpoints does this thing have? Or is it just a copy-pasta with different quirks?

I think he meant 1M...which is probably my least favorite as well. It's alright with 2 mpl / 2 srm2 or 2 medium / 2 srm4, but I honestly prefer the 3S. 4 SRM2's can be pretty fun...even if you'll run out of ammo in a good match.

There are other people out there that love the 1M, though. To each their own. :)

#22 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:18 AM

View PostMachinae Mortis, on 02 February 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

I think he meant 1M...which is probably my least favorite as well. It's alright with 2 mpl / 2 srm2 or 2 medium / 2 srm4, but I honestly prefer the 3S. 4 SRM2's can be pretty fun...even if you'll run out of ammo in a good match.

There are other people out there that love the 1M, though. To each their own. :)

yea, my 1M personally has 2 medium lasers and 2 SSRM 2's. I love all locusts! (I kinda struggle at the 2 ams one... I want to have 2 ams on it...)

#23 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

The 5V actually does really well in Stock matches.

#24 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:36 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 February 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

no, I do not use a standard engine on a locust, i use an XL 190 to go 169.3 kph~

If you ask me 400+ damage in a 20 ton light mech is quite good. I would like to see you do better in the Wasp, Stinger, Flea, or Firemoth when/ if they will be added.

(hell... I will find it hard for you to do the same damage in the Commando or mist lynx...)

Mechlab says that's impossible unless you shaved armor from parts other than the head, and on the Locust that's just suicide...

You'd have to cut the engine down to an XL 180 to make your build work.

Commandos are amazing and deserve respect.

#25 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 02 February 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

Mechlab says that's impossible unless you shaved armor from parts other than the head, and on the Locust that's just suicide...

The whole point of a locust is that its suicidal fun. Commandos may be the fastest lights, but their armaments are laughable at best. I see more locusts of any vaivariant than any Commando (or spider 5v...) these days.

#26 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:03 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 02 February 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

The whole point of a locust is that its suicidal fun. Commandos may be the fastest lights, but their armaments are laughable at best. I see more locusts of any vaivariant than any Commando (or spider 5v...) these days.

I don't agree with that kind of defeatist mentality, if I play a mech I do what I can to make it work well.

People don't field commandos because they are too scared of not taking jumpjets and lack the piloting skill to run lights without them. Locusts have that novelty appeal for being the smallest, so you see lots of them.

Commando armaments are fine, you can do lots of things with them, here are mine:

COM-1D: 2 MPLAS, 2 SRM2
COM-2D: 3 SSRM2, SLAS, ECM
COM-1B: 3 MLAS, NARC
COM-3A: ERPPC
COM-TDK: 2 MPLAS, 2 MLAS

I wouldn't consider any of those weak. The commando has the tiny profile and quick mobility to make those work well.

Edited by tortuousGoddess, 02 February 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#27 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 02 February 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...239072689abde85

Define shaved armour? It still has the majority of armour and has more then stock and now post quirks and rethinking I would shave head and arm armour for more CT and such.

Anyway I am a mech going 170 kph with a lot of firepower, immunity when in water, and with a small small profile.

I have a locust running with only 50% armour and no head armour and I still do fine with that.

I am sorry that me saying that a locust with max armour offends your zero-armour LRM commando.

#28 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 February 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

1S?.... Did PGI add a new locust variant in game or something? It's stock is only 2 SRM 2's and 1 medium laser with inferrior tech to the 3S.
What weapon hardpoints does this thing have? Or is it just a copy-pasta with different quirks?

View PostMachinae Mortis, on 02 February 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

Yup! 1M, sorry. I keep forgetting, because it's just kinda half of a 3S. :rolleyes:

Though, if we did have the 1S in the game, I guarantee you it would probably have 3 Missile, 2 Laser, and the quirks would be identical to the 3S, while the 3S what have to be changed to Streak 2 quirks. ;)
Lorewise, the 3S was a direct upgrade upgrade to the 1S, because it added endo steel and replaced the SRMs with Streaks. Since the 1M is the one with 2 Missle/2 Energy, I mixed them up.

edit: the 3V would be nice to have in the game... identical to the 1V but with an extra energy slot in the CT (probably at the expense of two of the ballistic slots). Imagine 2x MPL + 2x MG. hehehe. The 20-ton version of the Spider 5V... with more speed instead of JJs, and some added trollguns.

Edited by Tarogato, 02 February 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#29 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

With the quirks, speed, hitbox... The 5V is probably one of the best pokers out there with its nipple lazors. :blink: :wub:

I have not played the 5V in a while but this should show I general how you can play them.
Video should be up in an hour or so...

Edit: Note 6min 35sec... This is one of my most favourite moves in the game. Standing behind and enemy mech when he is about to assaulted by my team. A bit risky due to the team damage risk involved....
Pretty sure people shat brix panicking when they see streams incoming fire.. Trying to get back to cover only to be stopped dead in their tracks... *ME !! :ph34r:

Edited by ShinVector, 02 February 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#30 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 February 2015 - 01:20 AM, said:

Define shaved armour? It still has the majority of armour and has more then stock and now post quirks and rethinking I would shave head and arm armour for more CT and such.

Anyway I am a mech going 170 kph with a lot of firepower, immunity when in water, and with a small small profile.

I have a locust running with only 50% armour and no head armour and I still do fine with that.

I run a similar build, though I do prefer to go a little bit slower so I can protect the arms. That may be a function of the launchers being more prominent since I pull the energy for more ammo, though.

Note: Ammo placement is varied because it's just a placeholder.

The rapidity in which these launchers fire makes up for their lack of front-loaded strikes, and the sheer number of them mitigates their low individual damage output.

It's not the best Mech in the world; a Huginn or Oxide can do it better. It's definitely not the worst, though, and it's absolutely a lot of fun. :)

#31 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 February 2015 - 01:20 AM, said:

I am sorry that me saying that a locust with max armour offends your zero-armour LRM commando.

Shaving armor is what you did to your torsos, going with less than max. If crazy works for you that's great but that's definitely still crazy from my point of view.

I don't know why on earth you'd think I would ever be willing to run an LRM Commando.

#32 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

I like GMan's suggestion on Reddit:

"if it kept the current quirks and then added a head hardpoint, the 5V could be cool........."

Current quirks:

Medium Pulse Laser Cooldown25%
Energy Weapon Cooldown12.5%

Medium Pulse Laser Heat Generation-25%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation-12.5%

Medium Pulse Laser Range25%
Energy Weapon Range12.5%

Medium Pulse Laser Duration-25%
Laser Duration-12.5%

Reverse Speed12.6%

#33 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

out of all the spiders this is my favorite, it lets you focus on speed, 2 MPLS (rapid firing and dangerous with the modules added), and a massive amount of JJs, which alltogether makes it the most agile mech in the game bar none. I have had many 600+ damage games with 6 or so kills, those 2 MPLs push out the damage. It does fit my playstyle though, which is Commado mayhem, it just gives me the benefit of JJs.

#34 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

Meh. Put a Large Pulse in it and a Standart engine. Its actually fun seeing assaults raging when they blow up your arms and both your side torsoes and you still keep pulsing them as if nothing happened. ZombieSpider ftw.

#35 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 02 February 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Meh. Put a Large Pulse in it and a Standart engine. Its actually fun seeing assaults raging when they blow up your arms and both your side torsoes and you still keep pulsing them as if nothing happened. ZombieSpider ftw.

the 2 MPLs are way lighter and do more damage with a decent range boost, use them instead to save weight for a 3 ton bigger Standard engine.

#36 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 02 February 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Shaving armor is what you did to your torsos, going with less than max. If crazy works for you that's great but that's definitely still crazy from my point of view.

I don't know why on earth you'd think I would ever be willing to run an LRM Commando.

Because you are the one calling me crazy for still having over 65% armour is "shaved" and "crazy" (while the ST are the smallest hitbox on a locust excluding the head) while you deffend your 'glorious commando".

Which the first mainstream build is 3 LRM 5's with the max XL engine and 0 armour.

Which I brought up to make you seem the 'crazy one' as anyone who enjoys the comamndo normally has the "Mando" in there line up.

I do not consider it shaving unless it has less armour and stock in those areas, which it doesn't.

View PostMachinae Mortis, on 02 February 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

I run a similar build, though I do prefer to go a little bit slower so I can protect the arms. That may be a function of the launchers being more prominent since I pull the energy for more ammo, though.

Note: Ammo placement is varied because it's just a placeholder.

The rapidity in which these launchers fire makes up for their lack of front-loaded strikes, and the sheer number of them mitigates their low individual damage output.

It's not the best Mech in the world; a Huginn or Oxide can do it better. It's definitely not the worst, though, and it's absolutely a lot of fun. :)

I always imagine the huggin and oxide jealous of the glorious Energy weapon on the locust. :D

#37 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostShinVector, on 02 February 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

With the quirks, speed, hitbox... The 5V is probably one of the best pokers out there with its nipple lazors. :blink: :wub:

I have not played the 5V in a while but this should show I general how you can play them.
Video should be up in an hour or so...

Edit: Note 6min 35sec... This is one of my most favourite moves in the game. Standing behind and enemy mech when he is about to assaulted by my team. A bit risky due to the team damage risk involved....
Pretty sure people shat brix panicking when they see streams incoming fire.. Trying to get back to cover only to be stopped dead in their tracks... *ME !! :ph34r:

537 damage... how the hell?

#38 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

View PostGattling Fenn, on 03 February 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

537 damage... how the hell?

Why not ? As long the enemy is not sending back sufficient return fire against you or ignoring the 'smaller' threat.
Else.. Peek-a-Boo !! Peek-a-Boo !! Peek-a-Boo !! Peek-a-Boo !!...
Abuse the hell out the map eg. HPG the crabs could probably see half of the upper torso of the spider, poking lasers at them while they have problems returning fire when their main gun in the arms if being blocked by the ramp...
Muahaha...

I think I can do better than that... Got to try harder.

Edited by ShinVector, 03 February 2015 - 01:34 AM.

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

I once did a 935 damage game in a spider before quirks. It was the 5V.

The thing people forget is 10 DHS (min) and 2 medium lasers means you can even on terra therma fire a lot and do serious damage. I was running around hitting everyone with my medium lasers and they were to hot to return fire or to distracted with the big boys. I remember that match starting with my whole team in the Centre with the enemy team all grouped up going to one of the areas in front of the ramp to the centre. Which is where I did most of the fighting and hurt them quite a bit before the team rolled in for mop up.

Never underestimate the power of infinite ammo and pew pews with enough jumpjets to get into low orbit.

#40 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:37 AM

With the current atrocious laser hitreg, the SDR-5V can actually put out more damage than a 9xML Hunchback.

Shorter the beam duration gets you more damage on target. 2xMPL with quirks have 0,45 second beam. That's faster than stock SPL!

So using quirks and modules, you get: 0.45s duration+ 1.89cooldown = 2.34s cycle time. 6 damage/ 2.34 = 2.56 DPS

Therfore 2xMPL have 5,12 DPS (more than an AC20) with comperable range (297 meters) with instant travel time. And it's easy to put that damage where you want it.

The only downside is that the Spider did not get any durability quirks. It is actually easier to leg a Spider, than a Commando:
Spider - 42 total leg HP
Commando & Mist Lynx: 48 total leg HP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users