77 replies to this topic

#1 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

I'm primarily a light pilot, with a soft spot in my heart for the spider. However, the 5v variant... well I simply can't figure out how to make the bloody thing work properly. It doesn't appear to serve any clear purpose. Its only obvious redeeming quality is its stupidly highly speeds, and its jump jet capacity.

Outside of that, it's a weird mess of only two energy weapon hardpoints, and an ams slot for some bloody reason. It doesn't provide ECM, it's terrible in combat, and its AMS is useless if you want to utilize its only real positive trait, its speed.

So, with all that in mind, I have to ask... What is the point in this mech even existing?

MFW asked if I'm going to keep piloting this mech.

Posted Image

Edited by Gattling Fenn, 01 February 2015 - 12:14 AM.
Language in gif

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,758 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

So much rage; it's still not a Locust. Also, since you can turn AMS off, there is definitely a point to having it - not the least part of which is the ability to take a bite out of the LRMs which will be incoming when you inevitably get detected scouting without ECM.

Regardless, it's certainly one of the worst 'mechs in the game; I just slapped a Large Pulse into the center toso and toughed it out before selling it. All in all, it might be a good 'Mech someday if role warfare and jump mobility become more useful - but probably it will always be inferior to the two alternate variants. Definitely not worth keeping - it is in fact the only 'Mech which I have sold and never regretted later.

Edited by Void Angel, 31 January 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#3 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

I ground it out with a large pulse, max engine, (4 JJs) and tons of lulz. I actually enjoyed it. I'm aware this puts me in the underwhelming minority of 5V pilots.

I'm keeping it for scouting/strategy/spectator sorties into the testing grounds or private lobbies. The combination of speed and hops make it convenient for efficiently nosing around maps.

Not for grinding anymore, except for occasional outings with the LPL for funsies.

What's the point in a deathmatch combat setting? Hard to say besides the moblity. That's only useful if someone likes that much vertical in their game. If they do, they probably also enjoy the Mist Lynx. I do. :ph34r:

Edited by Virlutris, 31 January 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#4 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:50 PM

I'm gonna make it clear that I am certifiably insane.

I bought the 5D and 5K.

.... Because I needed them to master the 5V. >.>

#5 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

To be fair, the Locust is probably better. I can get up to 700 damage in a good Locust Match. My 5V NEVER managed higher than 300.

Edit: That said, I did get great enjoyment out of getting to the tops of every building, cliff face, or mountain in that thing. 12 Jumpjets used to give it some serious air time. One match (back when JJs were good), I think I spent a total of about 1 minute on the ground, in a 10 minute match.

Edited by Thunder Child, 31 January 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#6 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:10 AM

View PostAceramic, on 31 January 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

I bought the 5D and 5K.

Posted Image

#7 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

I elited spiders just for the 5V as well.

2 MPLs, XL280, 11 JJs. Full modules. Once elited, it's one of the most fun mechs in the game.
I've spent almost an hour trying to write exactly why, but there's too much.

It kinda reminds me of how Jenners played back in CB/early OB with the longer TTK. Super fast, JJs that actually launch you, tiny firepower that can tear things apart in the hands of a precise pilot, nearly impossible to hit...

Yeah, it's garbage. But I'll get rid of my Firestarters before I get rid of my flying AC/12.

#8 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostThunder Child, on 31 January 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

To be fair, the Locust is probably better. I can get up to 700 damage in a good Locust Match. My 5V NEVER managed higher than 300.

Edit: That said, I did get great enjoyment out of getting to the tops of every building, cliff face, or mountain in that thing. 12 Jumpjets used to give it some serious air time. One match (back when JJs were good), I think I spent a total of about 1 minute on the ground, in a 10 minute match.

Yeah, needs more guns for bigger damage. My best was 3-5-433 in the LPL build.

When the hardpoint layout simply won't allow for more than a 12 alpha (2MPL), there's a limit to the amount of damage that's do-able.

Then again, with the quirks, maybe an ERLL test run's in the works. The ERLL thing seems to work on the LCT-1V and TDR-5SS. Hmmmmm.

#9 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

I bought the 5D and 5K.

Same!

#10 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

I bought the 5D and 5K.

and I sold my 5D and 5K because I liked the 5V the most and made the others obselete in my eyes (well the 5K was useful but I had to many god damned MG boats already...)

#11 Caleb Brightmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 196 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:51 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4d6a8784daf3751

With BAP, and quirks to the mpl, and totally heat neutral.

It's a scout mech nothing more, if you are sparring you are doing it wrong in this one.

Bap for a few JJ's because ECM is not your friend here.

Mods: (Assumes you have Master slot opened)
Weapon: Maxed Out MPL CD and Range
Mech: ADV Sensor Range, Target Info, Radar Deprivation
Consumables: Arty/Air Strike, UAV

Your job in this mech is simply to light them and watch, as your team drops them adding MPL fire when safe to do so in support of your Heavies, LRM boats, Assaults etc.

If you are all about that light combat, then yes this isn't the mech for you, but with all the added cash, for spotting and UAV assists you can make decent cash while helping your team quite well if played smartly.

I would not advise using TAG as you don't wan't to let them know where to aim in this thing.

Pure scout nothing more, this is a straight support mech.

Edited by Caleb Brightmore, 01 February 2015 - 03:54 AM.

#12 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

Worst mech in the game? Certainly not, that would be the Locust 3S, with its 4 missile points and no way to use them effectively, along side a single energy point that came with medium laser quirks.

Build the 5V like so: SDR-5V

You get to move 170, carry 11 JJs, and while 2 MPLAS sounds underwhelming, quirks, modules, and mastery results in the following bonuses to them:

-25% Duration
-25% Heat generation
+35% Range
+42% Cooldown reduction

That's pretty significant, and the DPS is about the same as 4 MPLAS with no bonuses. It can be difficult to keep the damage going, but this mech has better mobility options than any other in the entire game, so a skilled light pilot can make this deal some serious damage.

#13 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

With quirks, it's an MPL monster.

It's still the worst mech in the game loadout wise.

#14 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 01 February 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

Worst mech in the game? Certainly not, that would be the Locust 3S, with its 4 missile points and no way to use them effectively, along side a single energy point that came with medium laser quirks.

Build the 5V like so: SDR-5V

You get to move 170, carry 11 JJs, and while 2 MPLAS sounds underwhelming, quirks, modules, and mastery results in the following bonuses to them:

-25% Duration
-25% Heat generation
+35% Range
+42% Cooldown reduction

That's pretty significant, and the DPS is about the same as 4 MPLAS with no bonuses. It can be difficult to keep the damage going, but this mech has better mobility options than any other in the entire game, so a skilled light pilot can make this deal some serious damage.

Locust hard to utilize it's hardpoints? 4 SRM 2 + 1 Medium laser. That thing makes assaults cry with ease. It's fun.

#15 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 February 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Locust hard to utilize it's hardpoints? 4 SRM 2 + 1 Medium laser. That thing makes assaults cry with ease. It's fun.

That's 5 tons before ammo, you've got no room to hold a decent amount. It's useless, even if 4 SRM2 wasn't weak as hell.

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 01 February 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

That's 5 tons before ammo, you've got no room to hold a decent amount. It's useless, even if 4 SRM2 wasn't weak as hell.

and that's 2 tons of ammo. Which gives 200 rounds, if all are hits that makes 400 damage if we go pretend there is no medium laser on board which will be firing quite often as well.

I've had a few 700+ damage games even before the quirks and I shall refuse anyone who says that thing is useless. (I tried the 4 LRM 5 build before, it's kinda fun but it's nothing but a humiliation fun machine)

#17 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 February 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

and that's 2 tons of ammo. Which gives 200 rounds, if all are hits that makes 400 damage if we go pretend there is no medium laser on board which will be firing quite often as well.

I've had a few 700+ damage games even before the quirks and I shall refuse anyone who says that thing is useless. (I tried the 4 LRM 5 build before, it's kinda fun but it's nothing but a humiliation fun machine)

You have to cut your speed down to 160 to get 2 tons and that only gives you 42 seconds of firing time, and you're dumping a lot of that onto an enemy to get significant damage out of it. I just don't think it's enough at all. A good pilot can make anything work, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a mech that's as disadvantaged as this one.

#18 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

re: LCT-3S: I put an XL180, 4x SRM2, 3t ammo, or trade 1 srm and 1 ammo for a MPL. It's one of the best harassers in the game because it's a constant stream of SRMs and it's nimble and tiny enough to dance and keep the enemy trying to shoot you instead of your heavy hitting teammates, all the while dealing with the cockpit shake.

The one I don't understand yet is the 1S...

On topic... if I invested into Spiders, the 5V would easily be my favourite. I would put in BAP, adv sensor module, and maybe a tag and a MPL, or two MPL. The fast engine isn't the important bit, it's the fact that you can approximate orbital liftoff with the thing. Go to places where other mechs can't go and try to either spot for your team with the extra sensor range, report their locations and what they've got, or try to get some attention so that you have at least one enemy devoted to a 30 ton mech instead of in the main fight. Ever try to get on the HPG dish on Mining Collective? That's a start. =]

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 01 February 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

You have to cut your speed down to 160 to get 2 tons and that only gives you 42 seconds of firing time, and you're dumping a lot of that onto an enemy to get significant damage out of it. I just don't think it's enough at all. A good pilot can make anything work, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a mech that's as disadvantaged as this one.

no, I do not use a standard engine on a locust, i use an XL 190 to go 169.3 kph~

If you ask me 400+ damage in a 20 ton light mech is quite good. I would like to see you do better in the Wasp, Stinger, Flea, or Firemoth when/ if they will be added.

(hell... I will find it hard for you to do the same damage in the Commando or mist lynx...)

#20 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostTarogato, on 01 February 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

re: LCT-3S: I put an XL180, 4x SRM2, 3t ammo, or trade 1 srm and 1 ammo for a MPL. It's one of the best harassers in the game because it's a constant stream of SRMs and it's nimble and tiny enough to dance and keep the enemy trying to shoot you instead of your heavy hitting teammates, all the while dealing with the cockpit shake.

The one I don't understand yet is the 1S...

On topic... if I invested into Spiders, the 5V would easily be my favourite. I would put in BAP, adv sensor module, and maybe a tag and a MPL, or two MPL. The fast engine isn't the important bit, it's the fact that you can approximate orbital liftoff with the thing. Go to places where other mechs can't go and try to either spot for your team with the extra sensor range, report their locations and what they've got, or try to get some attention so that you have at least one enemy devoted to a 30 ton mech instead of in the main fight. Ever try to get on the HPG dish on Mining Collective? That's a start. =]

1S?.... Did PGI add a new locust variant in game or something? It's stock is only 2 SRM 2's and 1 medium laser with inferrior tech to the 3S.

What weapon hardpoints does this thing have? Or is it just a copy-pasta with different quirks?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users