- - - - -

Please Explain 1-Shot

22 replies to this topic

#1 Nukem Till They Glow

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMinot, ND, USA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

I'm getting back into MWO, and I have my King Crab KGC-000(L). I'm in the space platform map and I'm the last guy standing on my team. I'm at 70% health (I checked before I left a cap as capping no longer mattered and I was just going to fight it out). I also have no critical damage taken yet. As I start targeting an enemy he/she hits me once (I have a very fast computer and internet connection - so lag was not an issue - during this match...) and I drop dead. A 100 ton Assault mech, with 70% health, no critical damage and still showing armor on all parts, and I just take a dive with a single hit from a ballistic weapon? Something does not seem right here...

#2 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hmm.... Pics or it didn't happen?

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

What was cause of death? Possibly it was "head component destroyed?"

#4 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

The 70% does not matter as much as you may think. A mech can be head shotted and destroyed and will have 95% "health" left.

If your center torso was heavily damaged a single shot or alpha strike could destroy you. A little more detail about how damaged you were would help.

#5 Viken

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostNukem Till They Glow, on 06 February 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

I'm getting back into MWO, and I have my King Crab KGC-000(L). I'm in the space platform map and I'm the last guy standing on my team. I'm at 70% health (I checked before I left a cap as capping no longer mattered and I was just going to fight it out). I also have no critical damage taken yet. As I start targeting an enemy he/she hits me once (I have a very fast computer and internet connection - so lag was not an issue - during this match...) and I drop dead. A 100 ton Assault mech, with 70% health, no critical damage and still showing armor on all parts, and I just take a dive with a single hit from a ballistic weapon? Something does not seem right here...

70% armor is the composite whole of your mech. You could have 5% armor on your Center Torso, and 100% on your Left Leg as well. They simply average into a whole. So, if you had a tiny amount left on your CT, then get hit with an Alpha (Firing all your weapons simultaneously) to eat through it and then crit your engine for 3 slots, you'd die.

Depends on the weapon, and depends on the location as well.

If an AC20 hits your Head (Max 18 armor) then 2 damage goes into structure. If this 2 damage Crits, then it'll deal the full 20 damage towards the components. In this case, the Head Structure, which has 15 health. 15 - 20 = dead = 1 shot.

If it was from long range, it was most likely 2x Gauss Rifles, which do 15 damage each. 18 - 15 = 3 armor on head from first shot, but the 3 - 15 = crit possibilities up the wazoo.

#6 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Too much unknown here.

For instance, were you using a XL? Did you have ammo in the part of your body that got you killed? Was it a headshot? How much armor do you have on your head?

Dual Guass is pretty common these days. It'll do 30 damage to one component if both hit. Generally if you still have armor that isn't going to kill a king crab. However if those shots resulted in a crit and or ammo explosion it could totally get you killed. Also two guass to the head is generally enough to kill someone.

Lastly, you may have been hit by more than just the one person. Sound on that map is "muted" and you may have gotten hit without knowing it by someone outside your field of vision. The Crab has a pretty large center torso (and can be hit from the top easily).

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

70% health really does not mean much, since there are items, like your engine that once it takes enough damage you die or they do enough damage to one area to remove the remaining armor and center torso internal structure. Health is not 100 to 0% then you die, other items that are critical to your mech could have been destroyed.

I think the term is front loaded pin point damage.

It could be other items like ammo cook off, removal of one side torso with an IS XL engine in it, removal of both legs or a head shot.

I would be thinking you were nailed either from behind on the millimeter thick armor some people like to run with, head shot or got nailed with 50 to 90 pts of damage to the center torso.

One other thing, do you XL with the Crab? That can make a huge difference.

Play a few more matches and see how many you can survive and be below 30% damage. That is hard, 20% is harder. Once at the end of the match in a centurion I was at 8% health.

#8 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 06 February 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

~snip
Play a few more matches and see how many you can survive and be below 30% damage. That is hard, 20% is harder. Once at the end of the match in a centurion I was at 8% health.

Yeah if you can consistently finish matches with under 30% and still be alive you are piloting the mech well (aka, torso twisting and spreading fire well).

#9 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

king crab is UN-destroyable, dont know what you are saying :)

Yea possibly a head shot or a multi-shot from 2 or

Edited by AztecD, 06 February 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

possible 2 gauss 2ppc shot

#11 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Had you overheated a bunch that match, so your internals were yellow, even while having red armor?

#12 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostAztecD, on 06 February 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

king crab is UN-destroyable, dont know what you are saying :)

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself . . . I tried . . . but it just happened . . .

Posted Image

#13 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

T-baller

#14 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostBanditman, on 06 February 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself . . . I tried . . . but it just happened . . .

Posted Image

Posted Image

I couldn't help myself either!

Edited by H00L1GAN, 06 February 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#15 elijah temujin

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 43 posts
  • Locationvancouver

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

the other thing no one seems to notice:

when a vat brat pilots one of our inner sphere mechs...
they are hard wired to blow....
didnt you read the operating instructions?

oh I guess they were not in the mech cause you took it as battle field booty
cause your clan dire whale is lacking....lol

that'll teach ya;-)

by the way ..this is just a friendly joke...dont anyone call the thought police now.;-)

Edited by elijah temujin, 06 February 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#16 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

As others have pointed out... there are all sorts of things that could happen to explain your destruction OP.

If your armor damage hadn't been spread out much and you'd lost 30% across your 3 torsos... there's not much left to stop a large ballistic shot (1x AC20 or Dual Gauss).

If you had overheated and harmed your internals, they're already in a weakened state once your armor is shaved.

And truthfully, once you're below 75%, it's a very short fall before you're in the 40%-50% range that most ppl die at.

#17 Derpfish

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

It is hard to know, as the game is not nice enough to provide the details of your death if you're the last to fall.

#18 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

The Dire Wolf can actually mount 4 gauss. Koniving has a video of it in action I believe.

#19 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

I have been 1 shot in a Dire Wolf a few times.

1. Surprise attacks from behind at 100% health--I run almost no back armor and a 80-100pt alpha will do it
2. Head Shot at 100% armor
3. Head shot by artillery at 100% armor--the most annoying death of all time

On the flip side I have 1-shot more than a few fresh Dire Wolves in my own Dual PPC/Gauss Dire Wolf. If I ever see someone shut down from heat I stop moving, zoom all the way in and aim for whichever eye slit is the head hit box on that 'mech.

#20 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostNukem Till They Glow, on 06 February 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

you could of had one point of armor on your CT, that's an easy one hit for some builds.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users