- - - - -

Planning Dropdeck For Cw, Looking For Light Mech Ideas

21 replies to this topic

#1 Saryonarve

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

Let me start this off first by saying that I hate Light mechs. I loathe them, despise them, and curse loudly and vehemently whenever I see one pointing its beady little visual scanners in my direction. I've tried the trials a few times, and I suck at piloting each and every one(the Speed is not strong in this one).

That said, in the interest of keeping as many drop combinations as possible while still maintaining some sort of effectiveness I'm going to have to buckle down and at least become competent with at least one Light chassis. At the moment I'm leaning towards Ravens because there's a variant that makes my inner sniper practically drool. However, if I feel like taking both my Stalkers I'll need to feel confident that I have two lights that can be effective. Moreover, I've found that CW is vastly different from the solo queue, so I'm definitely open to suggestions.

In case it matters\proves useful...

I consider myself to be primarily an assault pilot, and I also prefer long ranged builds. My mechbays currently contain a pair of Stalkers, three Thunderbolts, and three Hunchbacks. Oh, and an Atlas that I'll probably have to sell to make room for whatever light chassis I choose.

I am currently working on getting my Hunchbacks elited. These buggers are actually the main reason I'm looking for suggestions. I bought the 4G, 4P, and 4H variants, and was expecting to love the 4G and 4P(only picking up the 4H because I wanted to finally try using an AC 10). Instead, I find the 4P runs way too hot for me to feel effective right now, and the short range limitations coupled with the longer cooldown on the AC 20 makes me feel rather vulnerable when trying to brawl so I'm left feeling indifferent towards it, despite the admittedly badass results when conditions work out right(I am reserving final judgement until I finish eliting, though). To my surprise the 4H is actually growing on me(I think it's mainly the extra range for the AC 10). I may actually make my first weapon module a cooldown for the AC 10, and if I do I have a feeling I'll actually like the little guy(despite my tendency sometimes to play it like a Stalker and stare the enemy down...with the expected results).

#2 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

From your post I assume you're only interested in IS light mechs. The ER LL Raven would be excellent on Boreal, but I would direct your attention to the Fire Starters. These mechs packs a serious amount of lasers and have quirks that make them very dangerous. Overall, I think you would find the Fire Starter useful in more situations.

For completeness, I'll throw in a bit about Clan lights. The best Clan light is the Stormcrow (note: not actually a light mech). If that is the lightest thing in your deck, you're probably good to go. Otherwise, you're really counting on getting the job done with the first three mechs and the last one doesn't matter so much. In that case just take whichever light lets you bring the heavier mechs that you want.

For example, I like to run two Timber Wolves, a Hellbringer, and a Mist Lynx to round it off. The game is pretty much over when the Mist Lynx comes out and I'm just gunning for a kill on a badly damaged mech.

Edited by Rouken, 09 February 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#3 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

I think the Firestarter is overall the strongest IS light for mixing it up and doing damage, and it has the advantage of having several viable variants for leveling up the chassis. That being said, for CW your overall deck design is more important than having a standout mech in each slot--compromises are inevitable and if you are not currently a light fan that's a good place to compromise.

Looking at what you own now, a Stalker+TB+TB+? would be a strong deck. That leaves 25 tons for a light. If you want to go in this direction then I'd suggest an ECM mech for the last slot (COM-2D/Pirate's Bane) as ECM is always helpful and as an ECM light you don't need to necessarily become an ace light brawler to be an asset to the team.

Neither of those mechs have JJs and that can be a slight disadvantage (though if you mainly PUG you are less likely to be called on to participate in a coordinated jump light rush).

If you want to go with a Stalker+TB+HB+? then any light is on the table. Again, I think an ECM mech is a nice option if you don't see yourself spending a lot of time in lights generally. I'm not sure what is included in the Raven mastery pack but the Huggin is a beast and the ECM version is the included champion.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostSaryonarve, on 09 February 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Let me start this off first by saying that I hate Light mechs.

That said, in the interest of keeping as many drop combinations as possible while still maintaining some sort of effectiveness I'm going to have to buckle down and at least become competent with at least one Light chassis. At the moment I'm leaning towards Ravens because there's a variant that makes my inner sniper practically drool. However, if I feel like taking both my Stalkers I'll need to feel confident that I have two lights that can be effective. Moreover, I've found that CW is vastly different from the solo queue, so I'm definitely open to suggestions.

I consider myself to be primarily an assault pilot, and I also prefer long ranged builds. My mechbays currently contain a pair of Stalkers, three Thunderbolts, and three Hunchbacks. Oh, and an Atlas that I'll probably have to sell to make room for whatever light chassis I choose.

I am currently working on getting my Hunchbacks elited. These buggers are actually the main reason I'm looking for suggestions. I bought the 4G, 4P, and 4H variants, and was expecting to love the 4G and 4P(only picking up the 4H because I wanted to finally try using an AC 10). Instead, I find the 4P runs way too hot for me to feel effective right now, and the short range limitations coupled with the longer cooldown on the AC 20 makes me feel rather vulnerable when trying to brawl so I'm left feeling indifferent towards it, despite the admittedly badass results when conditions work out right(I am reserving final judgement until I finish eliting, though). To my surprise the 4H is actually growing on me(I think it's mainly the extra range for the AC 10). I may actually make my first weapon module a cooldown for the AC 10, and if I do I have a feeling I'll actually like the little guy(despite my tendency sometimes to play it like a Stalker and stare the enemy down...with the expected results).

assuming you are considering selling the Atlas to participate in CW, I would consider doing a few CW drops with a trial Light, it will not take long to earn a free Mechbay in CW, if you take a 1 week contract you can then change faction for another free Mechbay until you have earned it for all 6 IS factions, then chose a faction or unit and keep playing, of course if you are willing to spend $7 that would get you enough MC to purchase 4 Mechbays.

if you like the look of the Ravens there is no reason not to get them, however for anything other than that 2ERLL ECM sniper build the Firestarter, Jenner, Cicada or Spider will be better.

The 40 ton Cicada can do a 3 ERLL ECM sniper with reasonable speed (yes it is technically a Medium but most people agree that it is in fact a light.

the Spider is a fun Mech with an ECM variant, but the least heavily armed of the Lights, trading its firepower for speed, agility, jumpjets and some of the best hitboxes in the game.

The Jenner is a top tier combat light Mech but due to better hit boxes and more hard points the Firestarter is better although less agile, the Firestarter dethroned the Jenner as King of the Lights

about the Hunchies, despite having had them for almost 2 years I only recently got around to eliting them I completely agree about the 4P running too hot (mine only runs 7 MLs, with a total of 20 Double Heat Sinks). however I felt differently about the G and H, I could not hit a thing with the AC10 at ranges past about 300m so sold the 4H keeping the 4G(F) which has became one of my go to Mediums after years avoiding it because I hated it when first trying it 2.5 years ago. Now its AC20 is positively lethal

#5 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Depending on your leftover tonnage, I'd reccomend Firestarters, Ravens or Spiders if you have 30-35 tons left. Firestarters and Spiders are very mobile, while the Raven can pack a nasty punch. The Locust or Commando are both good at different things, but due to their lack of Jump Jets and low armor, they are very difficult to play well, especially in competetive fields. If you're left with either, I'd reccomend either the Pirate's Bane or Commando 2D as ECM support.

#6 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

Firestarter is probably better to have available for when the team decides to zerg rush.
It will also teach you more about getting in close than a long range sniper.

Right now I would be cautious of any commitment to a new chassis though, IS quirk reshuffle on 17th could change best options around. Sort of worth just holding out a week to see how things change.

#7 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Another vote for Firestarters. I loathe the beady eyed little monsters too, but if I'm forced into a light, it's the FS9. I run the Ember with an ERLL, (2) ML and (4) MG w/a 240XL engine. It's got range so I can snipe and once I find an open enemy torso, I can eat the internals with the MGs. I don't think you can go wrong w/ a FS9.

#8 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Let me start this off first by saying that I hate Light mechs. I loathe them, despise them, and curse loudly and vehemently whenever I see one pointing its beady little visual scanners in my direction. I've tried the trials a few times, and I suck at piloting each and every one(the Speed is not strong in this one).

I am kind of surprised that you don't like the RoF on the 4G- it can really be a killer if you are not the opponent's primary target. Always try to partner up to a larger mech (King Crabs are perfect) that is seen as more dangerous.

Lots of people are mentioning the Firestarter, and it is a great mech- if you are a decent light pilot. If you haven't gotten the hang of lights yet, I would recommend the Raven 3L. ECM will help keep you alive longer, the typical ERLL build will let you use your small size and reach to great effect. You won't be very good at fighting other light mechs though.

#9 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

First thing I want to support the idea that you do not need to sell your Atlas to free up a MechBay.

You will be able to earn a MechBay at the Second Rank for any Faction, which is 2,120 Loyalty Points.

Spoiler

I play slow lights often, they can be viable in the solo queue and can work in CW if you get a good mix that play to your strengths, it just requires a different mind set with such lights since you are rather squishy compared to mechs that can run as fast or even faster than you.

Firestarters can be very tanky and can stick with Standard Engines. In CW they (especially the FS9-A) are commonly used to rush the Generators and Omega. Nevertheless if you are fine trying a slower light Firestarters can work fine for you.

The FS9-S has a 15% Energy Heat reduction that can apply to some bigger longer range weapons like ERLLs.
The FS9-A has a 10% Energy Heat reduction and a 7.5% Energy Range boost.
THe FS9-H can mount a bigger Ballistic in its torso if you are daring, along with a 7.5% Energy Heat reduction and 10% Energy range boost
The FS9-K has a 10% Laser duration reduction and a 10% Energy Range boost

You certainly can also consider the Ravens. The RVN-2X can effectively run two LPLs in the arms and have great range with its quirks. If you make use of the LPL weapon range mod you can extend that range a bit further.

The RVN-3L with two ERLLs and ECM can rack up damage in solo matches and can be a decent support mech in CW.

And you can use the RVN-4X as a little flanker / skirmisher with reasonable agility with its Jump Jets to get it to basics for the other two, and who knows you might end up liking the little guy!.

An Honorary Light to also keep in mind is the Cicada. the 3M with two ERLLs (or PPCs) and ECM can also do fine in solo drop and in CW, with a speed ranging between 114 KPH to 124 KPH (without Speed Tweak).

Another strategy to consider (that can give you some flexibility with weight considerations) are either Locusts or Commandos. Since the idea would be to only take one of these into CW as your fourth mech to use the weight for your top three.

The top options would be the COM-2D for its ECM support. And with three missile hardpoints it can even be tried as an annoying little LRMer!

And you can outfit Commandos with LLs, it's a build I ran on the 3A before quirks and has nice synergies with the COM-1B quirks.

So there are plenty of options to consider and I can provide more in-depth details depending on what you are thinking.

Spoiler

Yeah the main thing I noticed with the 4G is how sluggish it feels torso twisting with a STD 200, but when you get the drop on an enemy that AC/20 is very brutal.

With the 4P I ended up using three weapon groups to help manage heat, and I ran it without Endo and a smaller engine to try and fit in more DHS. So my primary group was 4 MLs from the torso, my second was 2 MLs and the Head, with my third being the arms. And with its engine bigger than 200 (I think I had either tried a 230 or 245) it felt more responsive as a result, and you can drop an ML and strip armor to fit in a 250+ Engine too.

It's cool that you are enjoying the 4H, so let us know what you think about your various options!

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

Ditto to the not selling your Atlas to free up a mechbay. Play a few matches and you will earn a free one pretty quickly.

#11 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:11 AM

Your Hunchback 4P should look a lot like this: HBK-4P

The 7 torso lasers are in one group (they are high mounted and good for peeping over hills) and the 2 arm lasers in the other. The 4P does benefit a lot from the doubled basics, but you'll always need to be careful with heat.

On lights, Commandos, Spiders and Firestarters spread damage around the components well and will seem quite tough. Locusts, Jenners and Ravens have higher hardpoints letting you expose less of your mech to attack.

#12 Saryonarve

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

First, and foremost, many thanks for informing me of the mechbays that come with the loyalty rewards. If I had ended up selling my Atlas, I would have probably shed a couple tears(one for the god-awful amount of c-bills I'd have wasted, another because it's an Atlas).

I certainly have a lot of things to consider now. The Firestarter seems to be the overall favorite as far as CW is concerned(honestly, if I was only concerned with the solo queue, I'd just work on buying two more Atlas). Still, some valid points were made about taking something with less tonnage than either the Firestarter or Raven in order to free up more options for my heavier(and more preferred) mechs.

At this point I am still unsure which light I'll take, aside from steering as far away from Locusts as possible. From everything I've heard about them, they require a skilled hand to perform at all well, and a skilled hand with Lights I am not. Although piloting it might help break me of my Assault mentality of 'Damage is okay'...so there's that.

As far as my Hunchbacks are concerned, I think my main problem is that I'm used to being the battle line, rather than joining it. About the time I'd finished getting the basics on both my 4P and 4G I started reminding myself at the start of every match to find the Assaults and\or Heavies, glue myself to their arses, and do my best to add fire to whatever they were shooting at. My difficulty with the 4G, however, is that I seem to be a fairly high priority target. People notice when they're getting pelted with AC 20's by something that isn't well armored, and I'm a lot quicker to take out than that King Crab that's beside me. I'm also a lot more brave(foolhardy) than perhaps I should be in a Medium. When I'm in the 4H, though? I tend to get overlooked if there's something else with more tonnage near me. At least until they realize that I'm actually more accurate the further they are from me...

To John1352: My 4P looks pretty similar to that, only I'm using a 235. Mildly vexed that I did not figure that out on my own whilst shuffling my build in the mechlab for over an hour...(that's an 'Awesome, thanks!', btw)

#13 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:45 AM

Go minimums: Raven/Firestarter x3 + Hunchback/Trebuchet

FS9-A
FS9-S
FS9-H
RVN-3L
TBT-7M
SHD-2K

http://metamechs.com...ropship-ladder/

#14 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:49 AM

I presume your HBK-4P is all ML, since you say you have an Inner Sniper, try this or drop BAP and go to 39 armor on each leg (or drop CASE and put AMS ammo in a leg), should be enough to swap the LL for LPL or PPC.

You may also be interested in the Panther for sniping, no ECM but the 10K so far has a ERPPC quirk and dual AMS, 9R I am guessing standard PPC quirk, 8Z either LL or who knows. You could get the upcoming release for $20 or wait for CB release.

Other ECM Lights can be snipers, COM-2D, SDR-5D, even the Locust-PB that you have to pay for. There is also the CDA-3M if you have the room.

#15 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 11 February 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

I presume your HBK-4P is all ML, since you say you have an Inner Sniper, try this or drop BAP and go to 39 armor on each leg (or drop CASE and put AMS ammo in a leg), should be enough to swap the LL for LPL or PPC.

The C.A.S.E. is pointless. U are using the weight to avoid an explosion for 3.5 dmg ( http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment See the part whr the dmg is listed, AMS is sorted as Support and Utility Weapons) that have a chance to happen of 1/12 parts (the internal slots filled) of 50% (from the critical rating), so a total 4.1% of getting the crit, that 1/25 chance.

I would take the risk, drop the armour of the useless arm (yeah, we all noticed that THAT arm allways goes as fast as people start to aim to the right torso :D ) and the C.A.S.E. for either other DHS or other MLas. Also i would move more DHSs to the right torso, so the criticals dont get directly and sure to the weapon systems, but have a 1/2 of 50%, 25% total, to hit the lasers: HBK-4P

View PostWildstreak, on 11 February 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

Other ECM Lights can be snipers, COM-2D, SDR-5D, even the Locust-PB that you have to pay for. There is also the CDA-3M if you have the room.

Please, dont use ECMs as snipers. Better a Jaggermech, Direwolf, King Crab, or a Blackjack. But using the single most important piece of equiptment for team support to hide yourself while u fire PPCs at extreme range to deal little dmg and overheat a lot, seems a complete waste to me. Other mechs are more suited for sniper roles, curiously the King Crab, that have really high energy hardpoints to mount a batery of PPCs in them, and the Blackjack with its lovely, and sexy, JumpJets ;) BJ-3

Edited by DelphiAuriga, 11 February 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#16 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

I would tell you to watch some videos on people playing lights, getting high damage, to learn how they do it. Then grab your lights, and practice. A light mech in the right hands is completely devastating. A group of them are apocalyptic. For IS, don't grab a Raven and make it a sniper, you are not learning anything about light mechs by doing that. Do grab the Raven with ECM, learn to sneak, hide, spot - Fit Tag, etc.

In an ECM raven in CW, I followed a Crab from their spawn point all the way to their front, no one saw me, then I dropped an air strike on their group, I think I hit every mech for damage...than ran away. 8-)

They should just replace the name Light with Thief.

#17 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostSaryonarve, on 11 February 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

I certainly have a lot of things to consider now. The Firestarter seems to be the overall favorite as far as CW is concerned(honestly, if I was only concerned with the solo queue, I'd just work on buying two more Atlas). Still, some valid points were made about taking something with less tonnage than either the Firestarter or Raven in order to free up more options for my heavier(and more preferred) mechs.

At this point I am still unsure which light I'll take, aside from steering as far away from Locusts as possible. From everything I've heard about them, they require a skilled hand to perform at all well, and a skilled hand with Lights I am not. Although piloting it might help break me of my Assault mentality of 'Damage is okay'...so there's that.

At this point, I recommend taking the trial Firestarter and Jenner out for some matches to see how you feel in them.

The Firestarter has a reasonable build with its five MLs and its 15% Energy Heat Reduction quirk. These can be rather tanky.

The Jenner has a build that is okay, but superceded by other builds and their quirk synergies, but the Jenner should at least give you a sense of a fast light that needs to be on the move between cover with soild agility with its JJs, similar to how you will need to run smaller fast lights.

#18 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:12 AM

If you want something useful with low tonnage and a low skill requirement, i would suggest something like the COM-2D with ECM + LPL. The Large Pulse Laser deals a solid 11 damage for 3.06 DpS at 402m range (803m max) with both modules and the short beam duration allows you to keep a low profile and deal pinpoint damage if you have good and steady aim.

For some reason, people tend to ignore the fire from pulse lasers, maybe because they have a much more subtle effect compared to AC or PPC fire let alone missiles. This means that i can usually get a relatively easy 5-8 kills in my 3x LPL BJ-1X in CW before people even start noticing that the little bugger might indeed be a threat. A single LPL won't get you 1400 damage in a couple minutes but you can engage or support over a relatively wide range and will contribute by both damage and ECM cover at the cost of only 25 tons in your dropdeck.

Edit: if you are mostly sticking to support anyway, you could also run the budget version with Stock Engine + SHS. Heat shouldn't be a problem and although slower, it can take a few more hits using the whole right side as a shield.

Edited by Vulcan888, 12 February 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#19 Saryonarve

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:33 AM

Well, thanks to the recent challenge I now have a Raven sitting in my mechlab. Guess that means I should focus on them for now. However, assuming I don't still loathe light mechs by the time I'm done I plan on giving both the Firestarters and Commandos a serious look(Firestarters because they seem to have a good mix of versatility, speed, and firepower, Commandos mainly because of low tonnage with ECM).

Thanks to everyone who replied. I found the advice very useful.

#20 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Just because you have a free Raven doesn't mean you have to focus on that type.
I got the free Thunderbolt-9S, still have not gotten a third for Mastery.
Had the free Centurion-9A, never got another for a while.
Free Mech does not force you to use that type, just Basic it for now then look at the ones YOU want.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users