I Miss Playing Big Stompy Robots

43 replies to this topic

#1 Finkledbody

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

As the title states, I miss playing MechWarrior Online. I long for the days building Mechs with different loadouts, grouping up, attaching, hiding, tactical awareness.. It was a lot of fun.

But the hit registration issues, latency issues, terrible drop decks, skill gap between players, Tiny player base, Pay to Win, to many Mechs (with more being added monthly), Laser vomit, ECM coverage, and so much more. These things caused me to stop playing.

Now they are finally going to steam! I remember this upset many, however I was always waiting for this release. I'm clouding my judgment on purpose to get excited for new/more players. I can overlook some of the issues with player injection. But the big question remains.

Did they at least improve the hit registration issues? Cause that was the deal breaker ultimately.

Any replies are appreciated.

#2 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

Why take our word for it?

Jump into the game and judge for yourself.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

We're either gonna say it's good or it's bad, but we're not you. Posted Image

Edit:

Also we don't have your PC, your internet, your geographical location, your play time, your disposable income, your friends so our experience may as well be completely irrelevant to yours.

Edited by Elizander, 17 December 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#4 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostFinkledbody, on 17 December 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

But the hit registration issues, latency issues, terrible drop decks, skill gap between players, Tiny player base, Pay to Win, to many Mechs (with more being added monthly), Laser vomit, ECM coverage, and so much more. These things caused me to stop playing.

Hit registration: sort of fixed, about 95% there
latency issues: rarely is a problem
drop decks: no-one cares or plays CW, its a failed game mode
skill gap: better since the introduction of tiers
tiny player base: will never be fixed, MWO is not an appealing game
pay to win: its never been P2W, its always been pay to less grind
Too many mechs: not bad thing, do you mean not enough maps or game modes??
Laser vomit: still here and not going anywhere
ECM: not as bad as it used to be

#5 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

This game is in a terrible place. I'm desperately on a search for something else. The only thing I don't agree with is P2W. My best performing mechs were 100% free.

#6 Finkledbody

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostElizander, on 17 December 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

We're either gonna say it's good or it's bad, but we're not you. Posted Image

Edit:

Also we don't have your PC, your internet, your geographical location, your play time, your disposable income, your friends so our experience may as well be completely irrelevant to yours.

Lol. Its still nice to hear what others say :)
PC Is a Powerhouse, top of the line with no expense spared upgraded every 6 months. I wont do a parts list cause I'm not trying to show off. Good internet, 50mps, USA, etc.
Still had hit reg issues. :(

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 December 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

Hit registration: sort of fixed, about 95% there
latency issues: rarely is a problem
skill gap: better since the introduction of tiers
tiny player base: will never be fixed, MWO is not an appealing game
pay to win: its never been P2W, its always been pay to less grind
Too many mechs: not bad thing, do you mean not enough maps or game modes??
Laser vomit: still here and not going anywhere
ECM: not as bad as it used to be

This is more like it. Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm please to see they have taken he time to improve hit registration a bit. :)

#7 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

terrible matchmaker in conjunction with the low time to kill meta right now makes the game less and less enjoyable with each passing day

#8 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostFinkledbody, on 17 December 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

As the title states, I miss playing MechWarrior Online. I long for the days building Mechs with different loadouts, grouping up, attaching, hiding, tactical awareness.. It was a lot of fun.

Still big stompy robots here!

Let's tackle this one at a time:
Hit reg - Not perfect, but good enough at this point to say "fixed".
Latency - There are now multiple servers around the world. Pick the one closest to you and see if your latency has been resolved.
Terrible Drop Decks - Not quite sure what you mean here. Dual Marooder Dual Crab, or Dual Timberwolf etc. still exists so I think you're fine here.
Skill Gap - Going to be honest here... if you haven't been playing then there's no way for you to have gotten better.
Tiny player base - Welcome back! By returning you're resolving the issue! Oh and there's approximately 4600ish players from Steam give or take.
Pay-to-Win - ? Not 100% sure what you're talking about here. All things considered, MWO is the least pay to win free game on the market. Even World of Tanks had premium ammunition.
Too many mechs - That's not a problem.
Laser Vomit - Being worked on, but lasers are definitely the primary weapon of choice... though if you actually do the math... there are 'lasers', 'ppcs', and 'flamers' to put in energy hardpoints, and mechs like the crab can ONLY bring energy hardpoints...
ECM Coverage - Halved

Now they are finally going to steam! I remember this upset many, however I was always waiting for this release. I'm clouding my judgment on purpose to get excited for new/more players. I can overlook some of the issues with player injection. But the big question remains.

Did they at least improve the hit registration issues? Cause that was the deal breaker ultimately.

Any replies are appreciated.

Yup, hit reg is good. See you on the battlefield.

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hit reg is way better than it was a year ago although SRMs still have occasional to frequent issues.

#10 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hit registration was never an issue for me. If damage wasn't done properly it was a particular chassis, which means hitboxes messed up with nether regions sucking damage like a black hole. I don't even really have issues with playing on EU servers from NA.

#11 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 December 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

Got five games in last night in a little over two hours. Four wins one loss dropping as a solo. One game I was with a seven man, the loss was against a ten man and the rest were PUG on PUG.

CW is not dead or a failed game mode just because you don't like it man, about 100-150 people playing for Smoke Jag last night on three or four planets, never waited more than five minutes and had a blast.

#12 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 17 December 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

Got five games in last night in a little over two hours. Four wins one loss dropping as a solo. One game I was with a seven man, the loss was against a ten man and the rest were PUG on PUG.

CW is not dead or a failed game mode just because you don't like it man, about 100-150 people playing for Smoke Jag last night on three or four planets, never waited more than five minutes and had a blast.

How is 5 games in two hours a good thing???

#13 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

playerbase= no steamusers + https://steamdb.info.../342200/graphs/

#14 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 December 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

Considering the length of games generaly found in CW, That is pretty good.

#15 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

In solo queue the player satisfaction between tiers could not be more different.
Tier 1-2 believes the matchmaker is terrible.
Tier 3-5 think its great.

Which I think says a lot about game balance and the meta builds necessary to compete in the higher tiers.

Edited by CygnusX7, 17 December 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#16 PAINLESS 42

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hit registration: Works fine except for massed non-streak SRMs, thats a little dodgy.

Latency issues: I have a stutter maybe once every 20 games, if more for you consider changing ISPs

drop decks: CW is kind of a mess still, this is fair.

skill gap: While PSR isn't prefect, the PUG queue is fairly balanced. you'll still get some 12-0 or 12-1 stomps, but they just stick out in your brain, they don't happen more then they should.

tiny player base: I'll see 1-2 players carry over for 1-2 games.... how many players do you really need?

pay to win: never seen it as P2W, it's P2 get more mechs quickly, thats for sure, but one thing MWO has right in the F2P model, is that it's not P2W

Too many mechs: Not sure I understand this one, I find that at times I get mechs with overlapping roles, but then I just sell one.

Laser vomit: I hear that in tier-1 and tier-2 its very much poke, laser, hide. Down in the underhive of Tier 4, I see a wide variety loadouts.

ECM: not as much of a factor, still don't love the implementation, but not as bad as people say, especially with the range reduction.

Edited by PAINLESS 42, 17 December 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#17 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 December 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

Well, the games last for 20-30 minutes so it shows that wait times were almost non-existent (plenty of people playing, not a failed game mode to your point). On an average game I can earn 800,000 without premium time or 1,300,000 with it so, besides personally enjoying the mode more, I can earn 4,000,000 cbills in 2+ hours with no premium time. For me at least, that is more fun and more earnings than I would ever get out of solo queue.

#18 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

In every Match I play at least 12 Mechs die and usually in around 7-8 minutes. So as far a Hit-Reg, it is likely on your end OP. ;)

#19 Niamak

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

Map design : I hate shooting at invisible walls.

#20 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

White Knight Cheer-leading Lemmings will tell you it's AWESOME and don't listen to the critics

The Blackest of Knights will tell you the game sucks, it's broken and that the Devs suck (hard to argue that last part).

Truth is it's somewhere in between those two. You can only play yourself to see what level of satisfaction/dissatisfaction the game provides you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users