:lol: ;)

#42 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

Apparently the stance of many people in this thread is "It's not the trolls fault, it's everyone else's for being offended!". Slippery slope there guys, you might want to rethink this one. It's one step away from "It's not his fault he punched that kid, the kid wouldn't give him his lunch money!".

Honestly, you guys wonder why I questioned the sincerity of the apology. Being a douchebag and claiming everyone else is the problem?

Stay classy, MWO forum.

Edited by Harathan, 10 February 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#43 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

Never offended, only annoyed by you inability to let it go.
Apologize to your team.
They are the ones going to take it on the chin for your behavior.
Apologize to your Captain, maybe he doesn't need the grief and thus you.

#44 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

I want to make it clear where I'm coming from here.

Have any of you guys been acquainted with someone who has killed themselves, or attempted to do so, after being bullied or harassed online? Have you ever had to sit there, incredulous, hearing "It was just on the internet, it's not like it was really bullying, we were just joking"?

Being on the internet is not an excuse for treating other people poorly, it isn't a Get Out Of Jail card for being a crappy human being and claiming "I'd never be like this in real life" just makes it worse.

Now of course I'm not suggesting that bobF has deliberately set out to bully or harass anyone, or that he's likely to drive someone to suicide with his trolling. He's apologised, and while I may have an issue with the wording of the apology, at least he bothered in the first place and that's great.

But all you guys suggesting that it's actually really the fault of the people who were offended? No. Just bloody no. At no point is it the fault of the person or people on the receiving end.

Edited by Harathan, 10 February 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#45 JadeTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Harathan, I believe the issue is a little more complicated than the black and white stance that I interpret from yours and some of the other posters posts on this topic. You are right that blame can no be placed on the offended, however they are right that people get offended too easily. As someone that grew up being bullied I know full well what it's like to entertain the idea of suicide, however every time I entertained those thoughts it wasn't because of the bullies, it was because of family. Now I am sure we could go into a long conversation about this but that is not what we are here for, we are here to have fun kicking butt.

To everyone that has criticized bobF for his apology, it doesn't matter if you think it is heartfelt or fake as a bad boobjob, he took the time to write a lengthy general apology to anyone and everyone that may have take offense to him and within his post a specific apology to one person which he admitted went over the line on. That is all that really matters in a faceless situation such as the internet where honesty can be a veil of lies.

#46 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostHarathan, on 10 February 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

I want to make it clear where I'm coming from here.

Have any of you guys been acquainted with someone who has killed themselves, or attempted to do so, after being bullied or harassed online? Have you ever had to sit there, incredulous, hearing "It was just on the internet, it's not like it was really bullying, we were just joking"?

Being on the internet is not an excuse for treating other people poorly, it isn't a Get Out Of Jail card for being a crappy human being and claiming "I'd never be like this in real life" just makes it worse.

Now of course I'm not suggesting that bobF has deliberately set out to bully or harass anyone, or that he's likely to drive someone to suicide with his trolling. He's apologised, and while I may have an issue with the wording of the apology, at least he bothered in the first place and that's great.

But all you guys suggesting that it's actually really the fault of the people who were offended? No. Just bloody no. At no point is it the fault of the person or people on the receiving end.

Well, part of what you're saying isn't trolling anymore I think in most people's books. That sounds more like stalking and systematic abuse of another person, which isn't alright. I think trolling is just part of what happens when you're online, the difference is when people can't keep it confined to a video game and don't realize that its not ok to push it outside of that sphere. If you tell someone 'gg close' after stomping them, that's a far cry from trying to find out their real life identity and insult them on facebook after the match.

#47 Crasher2003

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

Online drama. lawl. Keep bringing salmon and tears plz.

#48 Vincent V. Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 299 posts
  • LocationWarrior, Command Star, Alpha Galaxy, Clan Wolf.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

I hoped however that due to the responses you have had in your posts you would more quickly come to realise that not everyone see Trolling as an "art", but that most people actually see it as a highly disruptive thing.

Honestly, not many dare to step back, take a deep breath and apologise when they see they have done wrong. Kudoes on that. I think you have some ways to go still though.

#49 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

bobF you alright dawg

#50 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

LOL. Really, the lecture about online bullying and suicide?

Here, allow me to solve the issue. Reach around the back of your pc and unplug the ethernet cable.

Problem solved. Youll never be a "victim" to the online world ever again.

By far the most redic issue ive ever seen people latch onto. Online bullying. *facepalm

#51 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostVincent V., on 10 February 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

I hoped however that due to the responses you have had in your posts you would more quickly come to realise that not everyone see Trolling as an "art", but that most people actually see it as a highly disruptive thing.

Most professionals involved in the fields of psychiatrics and psychology even view it as antisocial (ie sociopathic) behavior. It's only ever considered acceptable in the shitholes that are online message boards, places that are usually dominated by loudmouthed omega males who have to find some way to exert dominance to counteract their real life impotence.

But I'm sure for the trolls it's just innocent fun. Just like pulling the wings off of flies.

I especially like the "LOL UR FAULT FOR BEING OFFENDED" line. Blaming the victim is always a good sign of a healthy discourse. "Not my fault, your honor. She was asking for it by wearing such a short skirt in that neighborhood! She shoulda known better!"

Stay classy, internet.

#52 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostInRev, on 10 February 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

I especially like the "LOL UR FAULT FOR BEING OFFENDED" line. Blaming the victim is always a good sign of a healthy discourse. "Not my fault, your honor. She was asking for it by wearing such a short skirt in that neighborhood! She shoulda known better!"

Stay classy, internet.

I was seriously considering taking my analogy to that point, because that's where it leads.

I'm just not sure at this point which has the more toxic community; MWO now, or LoL before they cleaned it up.

Edited by Harathan, 10 February 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#53 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostSocop, on 10 February 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Yeah. When people are offended they need to take responsibility for themselves. No one can make you feel anything but yourself. The troll didn't make you mad - you let yourself become mad and made a choice to stay that way.

Is deriving pleasure from intentionally fostering negativity for negativity's sake in others really a healthy way to go about things, though? Is that what a mature adult enjoys, or for that matter, a psychologically sound one?

Not that I care about your mental health or feel any responsibility for it, but it does seem to speak more to the personality flaws of the person doing it "because they can" than it does of anything or anyone else.

Edited by Valar13, 10 February 2015 - 08:49 PM.

#54 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image

Edited by dervishx5, 10 February 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#55 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Posted Image
See more on Know Your Meme

#56 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

View PostHarathan, on 10 February 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

I was seriously considering taking my analogy to that point, because that's where it leads.

I'm just not sure at this point which has the more toxic community; MWO now, or LoL before they cleaned it up.

Another stupid talking point. Theres a difference between "asking for it" and "chancing probability"

If i walked around the hood flashing bills around, and someone muggs me...was i asking for it, or taking a gamble being in the wrong place doing the wrong stuff

Common sense 101.

Edited by SteelWarrior, 10 February 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#57 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostCrasher2003, on 10 February 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Online drama. lawl. Keep bringing salmon and tears plz.

Check it out.

MS wants to be the new Lords.

Edited by Roadbeer, 10 February 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#58 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 10 February 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

Check it out.

MS wants to be the new Lords.

No thanks.

I will note that there is far more trolling by non-MS folks in this and just about every thread in these forums. Does that mean everyone else wants to be the new Lords? Stop the hate.

Very well written post Bobf. Thanks for taking the high road. It is appreciated.

#59 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostAx2Grind, on 10 February 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

No thanks.

I will note that there is far more trolling by non-MS folks in this and just about every thread in these forums. Does that mean everyone else wants to be the new Lords? Stop the hate.

Very well written post Bobf. Thanks for taking the high road. It is appreciated.

You purposefully missed the point to be defensive.

Would it have been easier if I just changed the quote to ggclose and put a FTFY after it?

Look, I use to respect MS, but after a week of having them up close and personal, I can tell you two things I've learned.

They're Lord wannabe level forum trolls and Goonswarm wannabe level in game trolls. They're hardly effective at either, and end up looking more like a nuisance than a force to be dealt with.

Y'all need to get your **** together, because few if any respect you anymore.

Edited by Roadbeer, 10 February 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#60 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users