Super Nova

49 replies to this topic

#41 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Having just taken my Nova Prime into CW for the first time, I am lead to believe that Novas are made from wet paper. The Myst Lynx made up for it pretty well, though. In fact, I did about 330dmg more in my Myst Lynx B than I did in my Nova Prime.

There are probably only 2 really viable builds for the Nova that I can think of. The first is the 12 SPL build (or maybe even 10 SPL for an extra DHS and a TC1) and the second is the 2 ERPPC build loaded with DHS.

#42 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

I guess you've not tried the 12 ERSL build + 4 Machine Guns. Best Ambush mech, bar none.

#43 Smag

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

You don't have to hit them in the back to be an effective ambush predator.

#44 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

So I just have to say, I was expecting to be terrible in this mech because of all the poor talk about it, but I'm loving the Nova. I always take the time to play the stock build, and with three of the ERML dropped for heatsinks this mech is a lot of fun, and heat isn't too bad. I put both arms on chainfire after I alpha once or twice, and keep chainfire on for most of the rest of the match. And let me tell you: people duck when you pump 9 ERML into them over the course of a second or second and a half.

I intend to check out the SL and SPL builds in due time, but typically I have a few bad matches when I first start out on a new mech. No such thing here, I've taken tout like a duck to water. Put the level 5 ERML range module in that usually rides on my Stormcrow, and it's a capable ambusher, skirmisher, sniper, etc.

I'be seen people compare it to the clan version of the HBK-4P, and I love that mech. This does indeed play similarly.

Edited by grendeldog, 19 April 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#45 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Prior to the changes to the ER Small Laser's heat, the Nova was a nasty, nasty customer. I advocated against those changes because I felt that the Nova had plenty of downside that made up for it's niche nastiness. It is squishy, not terribly fast, and very limited in range with the ERSL, which meant you had to get in very close and finish the bad guys quickly. And the low-slung weapons means you have to be fully exposed. The devs and plenty of pilots didn't agree and were pleased with the changes. While it can still be effective in that configuration, I've never had as much success as I did with it before. Was it OP? I don't know. I do think the downsides were a trade off for the close in knife-fighting power, but people were getting shredded by them and I can, sadly, see why it was changed.

Frankly, I can't find a build at all that I'm very good with in the Nova, nowadays. I've tried a few things, but I'm terrible at them. Presently, if I take it in at all, I run the 12 ERSL and 4 MGs, chain fire the right arm, and alpha the left and spray components down with a steady stream of bullets. Still, it runs pretty hot. It's just limited in size to really do much beyond energy boating.

Edit: The stock ER Medium Laser variant is actually not too shabby, which I forgot about.

Edited by Josef Koba, 19 April 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#46 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yeah I'm still enjoying this stock build. I know there are some gripes about the fixed JJs and lack of speed relative to the SCR, but I held my own running 9 ML and 3 extra heatsinks on Tourmaline against a Stalker, a Centurion, a Grasshopper, and an Awesome for almost two minutes alone tonight by juking like I do with my SCRs, except with jump jets and spinning in mid air. Killed the Awesome, and tied up the other three for that time period, got away by leaping off a cliff, scored another kill, and then died to getting shot in the back. Our team won though, and this was indicative of my experience so far with the Prime.

By that I mean feeling like I'm making a solid contribution not just to the team, but to winning the game. I had about ten hard fought matches where the team won, and almost every time with only a few mechs left. I pulled 400 to 700 damage, got a kill in almost every match, and two or three in several matches, and felt like had I not been rolling in my new Nova some of the games might have gone the other way.

I always feel like I contribute to the team in my SCRs - I play for the team, not for myself. But in the Nova I feel like I can do both. I haven't yet hit Stormcrow kill levels, four, five, six kills, but I've been at it for only a few days.

Really fun mech. I can't wait to see how the SL and SPL boating goes, though I'm less keen on figuring out what to do with the other two variants.

#47 peve

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

What's wrong with Nova Prime with 12 CMLasers?

I use it all the time with great success.

Fire one arm, wait 0,5 sec, fire another arm. No overheating, over 80 dmg. Take cover to cool off or chain fire a bit.

Pops mosts mechs in one alpha, if you get behind them.

12 Small Pulses + 4 mg:s is fine against rushing enemy in CW, but that's about it.

#48 Alex Gorsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:16 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5610a5a46d4562c it awesome! :wub:

#49 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:23 AM

View Postpeve, on 20 April 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

What's wrong with Nova Prime with 12 CMLasers?

I use it all the time with great success.

Fire one arm, wait 0,5 sec, fire another arm. No overheating, over 80 dmg. Take cover to cool off or chain fire a bit.

Pops mosts mechs in one alpha, if you get behind them.

Terra Therma is my bench mark for heat management. If its too hot to run in Mordor, it is too hot.

#50 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostBespoke Cheese Cake, on 22 April 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Terra Therma is my bench mark for heat management. If its too hot to run in Mordor, it is too hot.

Yeah, personally I would rather (and did - it plays well) drop 3 ERML for 3 DHS. I know that creates some asymmetry, but that's olay actually, because for me the left is the five ERML at once penis-punching fist, and then the right is on chainfire. If I need to twist because I'm going to take a shot, I twist left, because the right arm is ever so slightly less of a problem to lose since it has one less ERML equipped.

With only 9 ERML and 3 more heatsinks the heat is actually pretty okay - quite manageable if some attention is paid to trigger discipline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users