The Complete Mechwarrior Dictionary

33 replies to this topic

#21 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

View Postdocjohn, on 04 July 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

"drop zoning" = the practice of hanging behind the opponents drop zone to damage them at spawn. Questionable again. "He was hit in the drop." = "He was drop-zoned." Both used a lot.

Aye, sounds familiar. But out there we just called it what it was: spawn rape. Especially when Assault Mechs were involved. Not exactly the best games I remember. This also happend quite often when there were more than 2 teams on the map.

#22 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 04 July 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Added some new items.

Question for all MW4-players: Is there a common term for the "suicide bombing" used in MW4, i.e. when your CT went critical, you ran up to an enemy and tried to do as much damage as possible with your after-death explosion? I just can't remember if we had a term for this, although it was a really common phenomenon...

I always heard this referred to as splashing your target. You try to get a little more damage on target by exploding all over them. Splash Kill could be your mech blowing up on them to finish them off or blowing someone else up and their splash damage finishing off another enemy.

#23 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postdocjohn, on 04 July 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Circle strafing/Circling: A tactic that is preferred in close-combat mech duels. The goal is to circle around an enemy mech and keep your torso centered on the enemy while doing so = "Circle of Death"

spawn point or spawn = "Drop zone" or the "Drop" never spawn.

"Chuthulu" = Radar off (simulated by an actual piece of cardboard, taped over your radar display, in the pod.

Master Trials = Obtaining your "Order of Burton" pin by pitting your 2 successive mechs against 3 successive masters. You had but to live.

"Legging" in the old pods or "Getting a leg" was the term used for spinning an opponent ("spin shot") 90 to 180 degrees to ruin his shots. The crotch shot was the notorious weak point, in the Tesla I's (fixed in the Tesla II's and replaced with the bellybutton critical), but legs were very hard to hit. (look at a Vulture's chicken legs) Both kills were honorable. Shooting crotches were questionable tho... In Tesla I's the crotch was the same point, front and rear. Only torsos had front and rear.

"Splashing" an opponent meant on the verge of death, him hurting too, you get close enough to make him quit shooting and running for distance to avoid being killed when you got it next. I saw six pods go at once in a splash kill. (Very rare, in an 8 pod game)

"drop zoning" = the practice of hanging behind the opponents drop zone to damage them at spawn. Questionable again. "He was hit in the drop." = "He was drop-zoned." Both used a lot.

"Mode 1" = training mode, torso locked, shooting and steering from the joystick. "Mode 2" Torso unlocked, steering with feet, torso with joystick. "training missions" = No Heat for "Dooleys" = Noob.

Dooley was the call-sign for Joan Severance, who did the training video for new pilots. Judge Reinhold was in it too, but no one cared what they called him. :-)

"Cook off" or "Bar-B-Que" = ammo bay/fire explosion...

"E-Z bake" a particular region in the Red Planet game played in the pods... Racing through the canals of Mars, in mining ships. Also referred to a particular region in one map in Battle-tech, renowned for E-Z kills.

"Martian Football" = a variation of the races, with one "runner", two "Crushers", and one "blocker" "End Zone" = scoring zone at each end of the canal maps.

SEC = Special Events Coordinator - person designated by Virtual World as the head judge of a national tournament, or local employee designation. Decision was final, no appeal.

Ops = the sign up desk for missions, bring your money!

Lounge = central waiting area, lots of chairs and couches to wait for missions.

Library = room off of lounge, with sliding doors, books, chairs and a central table for mission briefings for events, and boardgames...

The bar, sorry soft-bar only at VWE, sandwiches and soft drinks.

More as I think of em...

Sorry mate, I'm playing MW games since MW2 and I never heard any of those phrases in online community talk. I see where you're coming from and I gather they stem from the guys playing the Tesla pods (and among those only the veterans), but since that is a rather small minority, and MWO players are not likely to encounter such terms, I'd rather not add them for the time being. But I'll leave it open to discussion - if there are some players who back your post, I'll gladly add them.

#24 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 04 July 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Our guys always referred to it as splashing somebody.

Ah, that was what I was searching for!

Added some new items and also Stackpoling. How could I forget Stackpoling? :D

#25 Regina Redshift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 05 July 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Ah, that was what I was searching for! Added some new items and also Stackpoling. How could I forget Stackpoling? :D

If you remember how you forgot, could you tell me? I've been trying for years.

#26 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

OP: I see you have added mixtech, so that would call for pure tech as well. The latter usually came together with FFP (forced first person) and HOLA, which was a rather strict set of rules. Quite challenging, but not overly popular as a result. 3rd view and HOLA were more common from what I've seen.

#27 Durtwarrior

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Montréal

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thx guys, see you on the battlefield! :D :D :D

Edited by Durtwarrior, 06 July 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#28 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

What about terms for equipment like AMS and ECM and BAP? The n00bs, ahem Newbies, should understand those things as well.

As far as splashing (sorry I never heard it called Stackpoling before, though it makes perfect sense to me why it would be called that...) an enemy goes, I sincerely hope it is at least included as an possibility. Maybe not every time, like in MW4, but a good number of the times the reactor is destroyed, maybe 20-40% of the times the torso is cored through. I also think the angle of the kill shot ought to have a direct correlation as to whether the mech goes up like a mini-nuke. If you shoot straight through a destroyed side torso, it should pop out the rear armor. If the front and rear armor are all stripped from the side torso and all the internals are Swiss cheese there as well, your arm would most likely fall off.

I think the game models ought to have an interior location for specific internals, such as gyros the internal structure itself and most importantly, the reactor. This means that if a side torso is gone and you shoot straight through where that side torso WAS, the shot should just continue on into the empty space behind it. If you fire diagonally at the enemy mech, then that shot should go through to the internals in the CT.

This is probably not the place for this particular line of discussion. I think that I will probably go post it in suggestions mostly verbatim.

Cheers!

#29 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 06 July 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

OP: I see you have added mixtech, so that would call for pure tech as well. The latter usually came together with FFP (forced first person) and HOLA, which was a rather strict set of rules. Quite challenging, but not overly popular as a result. 3rd view and HOLA were more common from what I've seen.

Thx for the input, added it to the OP. Keep the list growing guys :P

#30 Johnny Blademan

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOkinawa

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Red Dragon,

Very nice work! Nice to see that I remember most of the terminology and it's great to know that there are so many people as (or more) passionate as I am about this game and its history.

#31 SavagedRandy

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationFK It Bay Life

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thank you so much for this man really helpful in helping me mature my strategy!

#32 SandwichMeat

• PipPip
  • Corporal
  • Corporal
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Any old Zoners remember the oh so often, BTZ??

Ahh, the good ol' days :)

#33 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

BTZ was voluntary. DTZ wasn't.

#34 GrimReality

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

RedDragon, could you add these...

-Line or Corridor: This refers to the grid on the map in MWO, and is used for relaying information to teammates about the path you, teammates, or enemies are taking. For example if you say, "I'm going down the A line" that would mean that you're going from grid A1, to grid A2, to grid A3, and so on. Line and Corridor are interchangeable terms.

-Firepower: In MWO, this is a stat that shows how many points of damage a selected mech can do with its current layout, with all weapons fired in an Alpha Strike, at their optimum ranges. It assumes that all weapons will hit the target (with spread weapons like the missile launchers and LBX cannons, it assumes every missile and every pellet will hit). Therefore, this should be only used as a guide, not an absolute, and a pilot should keep in mind his DPS and Heat Efficiency just as much, if not more, than his Firepower.

-Heat Efficiency: In MWO, this is a stat that shows how effectively a selected mech can handle the heat produced by its current weapon layout. This is on a scale from 0.0 to 2.0, with zero being completely inefficient, and 2 being completely efficient.
-Damage Per Second (DPS): This refers to the amount of damage a weapon, or group of weapons, can do in one second.

-Area of Effect (AOE): The area affected by an attack or by a piece of equipment.

-Line of Sight (LOS): Simply put, if you can see something with your own two eyes, then you have direct line-of-sight. If that thing is behind something else, for example, an enemy mech behind a mountain is out of your LOS.

-Pick-up Game (PUG): A match played casually with yourself and strangers or a few friends.

-Trial Mech: Mechs available in MWO for everybody to play for free (you do not have to spend CB or MC to purchase them). You cannot edit the loadout or upgrade these mechs in any way.

-Premade: A mech that has been purchased (with CB or MC)

-Founder: A player that purchased a Founder package when MWO was still in Closed beta. There were three levels of Founder packages, Legendary (gold), Elite (orange), and Veteran (blue). With their purchase, they received the Founder tags, varying amounts of MC, varying amounts of Premium Time, the Elite Founders got one Founder mech, and the Legendary Founders got all four Founder mechs.

-Founder Mech: Unique variants of the Atlas, Hunchback, Jenner, and Catapult made available to Elite and Legendary Founders.

-Hero Mech: Unique variants of mechs available to all players, but can only be purchased with MC. These also feature bonuses for extra CB earnings with each match they are played with. They also have unique paint jobs that cannot be altered.

-Variant: A mech has several different variants, this means it has different versions with different weapon hardpoints and different equipment available to it. Variants are noted by the two or three letters and numbers that follow the mech's name. For example, the Hunchback 4P has six energy hardpoints in its hunch (right torso) but the Hunchback 4J has two missile hardpoints in its hunch.

-Mech Cash (MC): This is currency for use in MWO that is acquired only by using real money. It can only be used for certain purchases, such as buying mechs and premium paint jobs.

-Credit Bill (CB): This is the standard currency for the entire Battletech Universe. In MWO it is acquired only by playing the game. It can be used to purchase almost everything there is to buy in MWO, except Hero Mechs and premium paint jobs.

-General Experience (GXP): These are experience points earned by playing MWO and used for gaining access to Modules (in the Pilot Tree under the Pilot Lab) and can also be used for unlocking upgrades in the Mech Trees.

-Experience (XP): These are experience pionts in MWO that can only be used for unlocking upgrades in the Mech Trees. They can also be exchanged (using MC) for GXP. XP is earned at a much higher rate than GXP.

-Modules: In MWO, modules are pieces of equipment that upgrade your mechs abilities. Unlike other equipment, it costs no weight and takes up no weapon or critical hardpoints. Also unlike other upgrades, it must be loaded onto the piloted mech to take effect. The amount of Modules each mech can carry varies. Modules are "unlocked" with GXP and then purchased with CB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users