Gauss Rifle Changes

18 replies to this topic

Poll: Make GR no longer need to be charged by the player? (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Does this sound like a good idea?

1. Yes (31 votes [41.89%])

Percentage of vote: 41.89%

2. No (37 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. don't care (6 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

This is a two part suggestion.
after talking in a different topic got me thinking about the Gauss Rifle and the nerf that had been unfairly done and should be removed.

I am talking about needing to charge the weapon itself as that is not how it actually works in the TTG or any of the other PC games that came before it.

The charge Nerf needs to be removed

(edited for mistake)

Edited by VinJade, 12 February 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

1, the change was good. brought skill to the best ranged weapon in the game at that time.
2. It already explodes when critical hits are done to the weapon

#3 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

checked the MWO wiki, boy am I embarrassed by that massive mistake on my part

Really?
I never used it because of how they need to be charged by players which is one of the reasons I hate the weapon and any mech that has it becomes dead wight(Atlas (C) for example).

Edited by VinJade, 12 February 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#4 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostVinJade, on 12 February 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

really?
I never used it because of how they need to be charged by players which is one of the reasons I hate the weapon and any mech that has it becomes dead wight(Atlas (C) for example).

The strongest meta direwolf builds in the game always incorporate 2 gauss rifles dude. They form the core of the damage the mech can do because of the zero heat generation. Grid Iron, HBK-GI is also arguably one of the strongest medium mechs in the game due to the fact it gets huge bonuses to gauss firing, and it can dish out amazing damage with high accuracy that never stops due to heat generation. Watch what competitive players use, and you'll see a lot of gauss rifle builds.

#5 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

From the sounds of it, the GR is only a skilled player only weapon and not a general use weapon like it should be.

the weapon was never meant to be only the top warrior can use it but for all warriors to be able to use it.
it would be like having to manually feed the ACs, L/SRMs, charging the PPCs, and charging Lasers yourself.

so why stop at the GR?

#6 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostVinJade, on 12 February 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

From the sounds of it, the GR is only a skilled player only weapon and not a general use weapon like it should be.

its not an "out of reach" skill level vinjade, if you load one up and spend 30-60min in the testing ground practicing the rhythm of the gun, you will be ready to pop lights running by with it. try it

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostVinJade, on 12 February 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

the weapon was never meant to be only the top warrior can use it but for all warriors to be able to use it.
it would be like having to manually feed the ACs, L/SRMs, charging the PPCs, and charging Lasers yourself.

so why stop at the GR?

This about has it:

View PostGeist Null, on 12 February 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

its not an "out of reach" skill level vinjade, if you load one up and spend 30-60min in the testing ground practicing the rhythm of the gun, you will be ready to pop lights running by with it. try it

It's not hard to use. There are audio queues, as well as visual ones - the weapon group indicators in the center of your screen show when charging/ready to fire by yellow/green dots.

It's zero heat, pinpoint, exactly where you want it. It pairs very well with energy builds as with it's 2000m/s projectile speed it's nearly hitscan, so it can be fired alongside lasers without target leading issues in a lot of cases.

Pairs of Gauss Rifles (Dire wolf, or Jagermech, Cataphract, Catapult, King Crab) are extremely effective.

It doesn't take long to learn. The charge mechanic DOES make it more of a sniping/range weapon and less like a brawling weapon, though. It's usable up close, but a lot harder.

#8 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

No no no no no. :blink:

The charge mechanic is purposefully implemented as a balance mechanic to an absurdly powerful weapon. In my king crab I've forgoed the AC/20 quirks for dual gauss rifles. I call it my shredder, as the two used together, with one volley, is enough to either tear limbs off, or put the hit area into critical. Then again...imagine what I could do without the spool up times.... ;)

5-6 shots at more is all it really takes to core most mechs, in ideal conditions.

#9 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

I also have use a King Crab with duel gauss, but with probably a different build design in mind as an assault sniper. Works for me. The King Crab is not a fast Mech, never will be, so why not have make something run away at the thought of being in that things range.

#10 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Charge is stupid given the incredibly small window of time you have to fire. With such a slow rate of fire and narrow firing window, along with the tendency to explode when critted, Gauss Rifles just aren't a reliable weapon any more. You can argue skill until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that people have moved away from Gauss Rifles because of this. I don't see them very much on IS Mechs any more at all; mostly just Clan Mechs since Gauss is one of the few pin-point damage weapons they have available to them.

Why take a Gauss Rifle when a PPC will do the trick or a pair of AC/5s? There really isn't a good reason. Now, if the charge could be held for longer periods of time, then that would go a long ways towards making the weapon useful again. Also, it should only explode when charge; not when it is uncharged.

#11 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

The charge mechanic needs to stay. If anything the chargup time should be doubled on clan mechs, or the chance of explosion removed on IS mechs. 3 tons lighter and 1 slot smaller with no drawbacks to balance the weapon? No wonder gauss rifles are so much more common on clan mechs. I even see them on clan light mechs, and they still have room for backup weapons. When was the last time you saw a gauss rifle on an IS light mech?

Edited by Lexx, 31 August 2015 - 09:15 PM.

#12 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostLexx, on 31 August 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

I even see them on clan light mechs, and they still have room for backup weapons. When was the last time you saw a gauss rifle on an IS light mech?

Holy necro Batman! Seeing a Gauss Rifle on a Clan light mech is like seeing an AC/20 raven.....you can do it, but is it really effective?

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 31 August 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

View PostSkarlock, on 12 February 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

The strongest meta direwolf builds in the game always incorporate 2 gauss rifles dude. They form the core of the damage the mech can do because of the zero heat generation. Grid Iron, HBK-GI is also arguably one of the strongest medium mechs in the game due to the fact it gets huge bonuses to gauss firing, and it can dish out amazing damage with high accuracy that never stops due to heat generation. Watch what competitive players use, and you'll see a lot of gauss rifle builds.

I do not tihnk the grid iron counts due to 50% quirk...

give me a 50% quirked AC 20 on a king crab and I can kill an entire star of timberwolfs in under a minute.

#14 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 31 August 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

Holy necro Batman! Seeing a Gauss Rifle on a Clan light mech is like seeing an AC/20 raven.....you can do it, but is it really effective?

Yep.

Also I see clan gauss on clan lights all the time- I even got one on my kitfox and saw an adder gauss mech earlier.

I also seen a guass urbanmech earlier and I ****ed a timberwolf in a 1 vs 1 fight in pug match yesterday in an AC 20 urbie. (Granted I got the unfair advantage of landing 75% of my shots on his Cockpit all the time even though he was rolling and tossing)

#15 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

My suggestion would be to make it allow you to hold the charge indefinately however it generate heat while doing so.

Seriously the charge mechanic is never going away as the gun is allready the best in the game by a long shot......there is a reason you see them on virtually any mech that can sport them especially if that mech can sport two of them.

#16 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:05 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 15 February 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Charge is stupid given the incredibly small window of time you have to fire. With such a slow rate of fire and narrow firing window, along with the tendency to explode when critted, Gauss Rifles just aren't a reliable weapon any more. You can argue skill until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that people have moved away from Gauss Rifles because of this. I don't see them very much on IS Mechs any more at all; mostly just Clan Mechs since Gauss is one of the few pin-point damage weapons they have available to them.

Why take a Gauss Rifle when a PPC will do the trick or a pair of AC/5s? There really isn't a good reason. Now, if the charge could be held for longer periods of time, then that would go a long ways towards making the weapon useful again. Also, it should only explode when charge; not when it is uncharged.

Hmm maybe it is a tier difference as I see the things ALL the time. Also ya the gun can explode but the ammo does not. As for a good reason to run them......no heat, nuff said.

#17 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

As the real Sir Gaussalot I have two things to say.
1: I have little problems with the charging, its fast and you can charge aim and release at the right moment, or abort if you need. I actually find it more precise on those hard to hit moving targets once its charged.
2: I wouldn’t complain if the charging were removed. Why wouldn’t I be even more deadly?

Only thing I miss is a short tone when the weapon is fully charged and a different one when it’s ready to charge again. Just for those hits in the face shaking unable to see or hear the current indicators moments. I sometimes release a little too early in those stressed situations. (No jokes plz)

Yeah, that’s like 3ish things to say, but you dumb ***** can’t count this high anyways…

Edited by Serpentbane, 01 September 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#18 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

I would very much like to remove gauss charge, or add the ability to hold the charge indefinatelly.

One of those two things would greatly improve Gauss for me..

Right now, I don't use Gauss rifles at all.. maybe then I would.

It's kind of OP anyway, especially if you have more than 1 installed..

I recently got sniped in the legs by a 2xGauss Jagermech I couldn't even see, and he took both my legs in 4 shots.. (I still don't understand how exactly, I was in an Executioner, and those puppies have 74 armor each.. so 30 damage should have needed two shots and still would have armor left over?)

The Gauss spam is kind of annoying..

Gauss was best in earlier MW games, where it was more rail-gunny, and you had a visual trail of it distorting air. (something that large moving at high speed should distort air immensly)

Now, its just like facing Smaug - A flash of light, searing pain, and your nothing more than a pile of ash!

Meh.. <_<

Edited by Vellron2005, 04 September 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#19 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 04 September 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Gauss was best in earlier MW games, where it was more rail-gunny, and you had a visual trail of it distorting air. (something that large moving at high speed should distort air immensely)

This would be a worthwhile addition. Snipers would get one shot from their position.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users