2 replies to this topic

#1 Luerim

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

[color=#000000]I’ve been familiar with BattleTech since 1986. I’ve played every iteration of the game from board game to date. I still own my original BattleTech/AeroTech/BattleForce boxes. I sniped on a 286 head shots in an Atlas in MW1, but missed the AI realizing it could put a Locust THAT close to me and the visual field could just not crank down low enough to not get taken out. I learned a lot from that encounter. Enough to win the ever-loving **** out of that game, and appreciate every iteration henceforth. [/color]

[color=#000000]I vaguely recall being able to order, even in MW1 (yes, MW1), lancemates to a location and actually have them actually follow orders, mostly. You get what you pay for. And based on flavor text, we’re mercs.[/color]

[color=#000000]Clan bidding is necessary. It was the equalizer. The dynamics of it would be… A LOT of issues would be resolved by Clan bidding. Clan bidding was designed to be game of poker. Kept the Clans in line. We don’t have that. They’re free to drop whatever they want down. Keep the IS territory wars as-is, I feel. Wolf’s Dragoons and The Black Widow were scouts as I recall the canon.. The Star League was the faction I wanted, but was horribly displeased was absent, is still absent. [/color]

[color=#000000]So many sub-systems could be created based on it. Elementals and the IS powered armor they work off that, three squads of powered infantry against a lance/star of either, really. In a good game of poker/chess, making them hold to that would make a world of difference. Speaking of such, 2 stars were designed to go against a 3 lance company of IS mechs. That's a 10/12 ratio. Food for thought.[/color]

[color=#000000]To use the political aspect of such, the initial blast has definitely been fired. [/color]

[color=#000000]We’re outmatched, outgunned, and we’re still playing, but the numbers I’m living with need some realization of the balance the tabletop game had. The Clans were balanced on LostTech, with some of 3050ish technology progression, and /bidding/.[/color]

[color=#000000]Fastest, simplest way to adjust/mimic this in clan vs IS combat is simple drop the damn tonnage load out a Clan group can have on faction games. If they’ve got a clan mech either they spent real money, or they were able to save up, probably from their win/loss ratio. From a Very, Very meta place losing more than 20% of your PvP matches sucks. Makes you feel you have to Pay to Play Well.[/color]

[color=#000000]Revisiting the previously mentioned thing about elementals and such, what about tanks? They’re slower than assaults, less maneuverable, but the defensive advantage with the range some of the artillery could lay on the field would be very, very nice.[/color]
[color=#000000][/color]
[color=#000000]The time frame to drop? Excellent chance to offer up a VoIP (still don’t know why ‘over’ is in lowercase) server. Talking before there’s a whole team would be nice. You know, community and all. Might shorten those load times by making sure we think well together, and don't go rushing off to the next drop. [/color]

[color=#000000]Opportunity to change chamo before we find out the terrain to drop into would be nice as well. I don’t mind standing out; I have an insanely good talent for being a squishy tank. I have talents. Just need backup to make it worth it.[/color]

[color=#000000]To be clear: I’ve been with this game since I was allowed to be. Finally had the $$$ to spend my first real $ on the Urbanmech package, and I’m the LRM slowboat ***** raining down on you with a BAP and a C3, because I freaking can. But in Faction battles, the Urbanmechs I add to my drop ship WILL level the playing field. The Spider's a nice mech for recon, but it's the Urbanmechs that are the low tonnage defensive back line.[/color]

[The paragraph above is an example of bidding on a lance level. Missing the reinforcements, but something similar happened once tabletop when we were allowed to RP the bidding on an IS vs. Clan conflict. I just helped out with moving mechs and realizing my friend had not taken opportunities to take the high ground... In an urban setting with crappy LOS to high ground, and tiered LRM cover. He was in Warhammer mode, it's understandable. The rest of what I wrote is redacted. Personal choice.]

RL: Wm. Walter Ingle, Jr.
Internet: Luerim
BattleTech: McCoy's Scavengers, Sgt. Angus McCoy

#2 Luerim

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

No idea where the color crap came in, other than C&P off notepad. Fits, though. Communication is an issue and there it pops up...

#3 Angry bovine

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:46 AM

Atlas wasn't in MW1, the second star league doesn't form until 3058ish and even if it was formed during the games time period, I don't think they will be in game as a separate faction. PGI has stated that the only things to pilot in game are going to be mechs so no battle armour or tanks will be added. i also don't see how bidding could work in the game, or how it would help, there are a lot of players out there who don't care about clan ways or even there honor system, so why would they follow bidding rules? there is also no C3 in mwo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users