Is The Mad Dog Worth Purchasing?

46 replies to this topic

#1 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hey all! Just wondering what the general consensus is on whether or not the Mad Dog is worth buying with MC? I already have the Stormcrow and Timberwolf....does the Mad Dog bring something different?

Thanks!

#2 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

low armor, high firepower.

consensus; lesser then the Tbr and crow, but still strong, take advantage of those missile racks.

#3 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

It is, a support mech. If you are used to being in a support role, then it is worth every penny.
Just don't be the first thing the enemy sees. Run a few LRM racks and a good slew of lasers and you will be fine.

-ST

#4 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

It runs hot if you mount any meaningful amount of LRMs wiht some laser support.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

it is a great support Mech, basically the Clan equivalent of the Catapult, if you enjoy that sort of role then buy it.

If you are after something for close range combat I suggest you look elsewhere

#6 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

I've mastered three Mad Dogs. Are they worth 14,255 MC? No, probably not, but what is? Will they be worth their price in Cbills? Absolutely.

But it comes down to convenience too. If you don't have the ~12 million cbills they're going to cost (MC price times roughly 2500), and don't want to grind for it, then why not, if you can afford the MC.

Edited by Kevjack, 26 December 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#7 DarkExar

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

I seriously doubt its worthy of MCs. I don't have MD yet but mastered SCrow - considering higher speed and negligible tonnage difference SCrow already gives all the gameplay options that MD provides. So I'll wait for C-bills fiesta.
BUT still MD looks just plain cool, this is indisputable factor at least to me :)

#8 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

I picked up the A & B for MC last night. Gonna buy the prime with C bills. I love it. 400 odd damage on my first game. Theyve long been my favourite BT mech & Im really enjoying them in game.

The A variant is my favourite so far. Bit of a glass hammer though. 6 SRM 6 is no joke, but its not as tanky as the TW. You'll need to play sneakily if you want to reach the full potential your loadout offers. Hang back & snipe with your PPC then when the enemy is weak rush in and pick their bones clean, rather like a um... well, a vulture! Plus you have the shotgun for close in defence.

The B variant is like a Prime with one extra laser & missile hardpoint. It can dish the damage but again is quite fragile. & this is compounded by the fact that as soon as people spot that you arent boating SRMs they know youre safe to get close to and wont be cautious on their approach. Even sneakier playstyle needed, but I cut my teeth piloting hunchbacks so I love it.

#9 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

I run A side torso pods on all 3 of my Mad Dogs. One is 6xLRM5 (chainfire screen shake or fast firing LRM30, you decide), one SRM36 (the missile salvo from hell), and the last SSRM36 (consistent damage, low kills due to the sandblaster nature of Streaks). And you know what? They're all fun.

#10 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

The Mad Dog defently has a role. As far as clan mech's go, it's the best clan support mech in the game. I've played around with the variation's, and it's one of those mech's that takes mastery level to really be special. The reason is that it can pack a ton of fire power, and with that comes a ton of heat. With little armor your reliant on dodging and positioning, so you need the speed and heat buffs badly. It's basicly the clan version of the catapult, just with more options.

I personally run it almost like the default loadout. 2 LPL, 2 EML, 2 LRM-15's Lots of ammo and a few heat sinks. I play it like an aggresive support, meaning i don't like to LRM further out then 500m and i do charge with it. I've gotten a few 1k dmg games.

The other is the 6 x SRM 6 (or 3 SRM6/3 SSRM 6) and small lasers. The thing is king of the splatmech's and can core an atlas in one button press (realisticly it's 2 shots). Think of it like the SRM stormcrow with more weapons and srm's.

People complain about the armor, and that it's fairly vulnerable. The armor is not the problem, the hitbox's are. It's got tiny arms, huge torso's. They are redoing the hitbox from what i have heard.

All in all, it's a good mech. Other mech's can have similar weapons configs, but it is pretty optimal tonnage wise.

Hellbringer is ECM, and can be built for medium or long range. Some of the best hard point placements in the game.
Mad Dog Built for long range or CQB support, best missile hard points, and is highly offensive
Timber Wolf, easily the best clan brawling mech, and great for many many differn't builts.

#11 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

switch it for a Hellbringer

#12 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

View PostMechLord71, on 26 December 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hey all! Just wondering what the general consensus is on whether or not the Mad Dog is worth buying with MC? I already have the Stormcrow and Timberwolf....does the Mad Dog bring something different?

Thanks!

As a reminder, the Mad Dig is scheduled to be available for C-Bills on JAN 20th http://mwomercs.com/...nnounced-mechs/

That being said I still purchased two MDD-A's for use in Community Warfare. I find the Mad Dog to be a very capable LRM Boat with six LRM-5's, 12 tons of ammo, 4 medium ER's, a TAG and Active Probe.

You'll get better value if you have the C-bills and can wait until the 20th... but then an MC buy/instant gratification can work out well for you too. It has for me.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 29 December 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#13 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

Absolutely, I echo others sentiments by saying you should, it's quite pricey, but well worth it, not only is the 'mech a true Battletech classic, but it actually has a niche in MW:O.

6 Streak SRM 6,
6 SRM6/Artemis,
6 Streak SRM 4,
6 LRM 5,
and most any LRM tube combo up to 80!
Also can be built with LRM's and SRM's AND backup medium lasers, or LRM's plus a NARC.

It's only niche is missile boating, but it's a good niche.

#14 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

depends really on whether you want to wait or buy it now really as it's gonna be available soon for C-bills. It's a decent mech that's for sure if your like me and got quite afew c-bills stored up what's waiting for another month?

#15 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Lol..... I just upgraded to the manowar pack to get my mad dogs.... Totally worth it. Plus I own every clan chassis in game :)

Now to finish mastering my ice ferrets, hellbringers, and now my mad dogs and gargoyles!

#16 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:07 AM

I love my Mad Dog, but like they said, it is a support mech, I have about 1170 LRMs with me with two 15 launchers chain fired, 5 med lasers also chained and I can do some serious damage if I can get even a moderately supportive team. It's actually the first Mech I broke 1000 with in non CW. just remember those direct fire weapons are your friends when you get LOS on a mech you plan to be launching at.

I would say if you have money to throw.. then get a MadDog Prime and then wait for cbills for the others. But if you learn to play it right, you'll love it.

#17 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

Way too much MC for a heavy that's not even the best Clan Heavy. I don't understand why clan mechs are priced so high even if they aren't that good when compared to their cheaper IS counterparts.

#18 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 30 December 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

I would say if you have money to throw.. then get a MadDog Prime and then wait for cbills for the others. But if you learn to play it right, you'll love it.

If you buy it via MC, you don't get the 30% cbill bonus. You only get it apparently if you spend the 360 bucks or whatever

#19 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostShade4x, on 30 December 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

If you buy it via MC, you don't get the 30% cbill bonus. You only get it apparently if you spend the 360 bucks or whatever

I'm not paying any one 360 bucks for some stupid cbill bonus or anything unless I get a free airplane ticket and pass to stomp a dev in the nuts if they mess up my BattleTech baby called MechWarrior.

Or toys.. Like.. 10 inch models that are highly articulated.. I'd spend 360 for 2 of those.. That would be a HUGE money sink for me.

Hey..PGI, Get on that.. Models we can buy to fund your game and have cool physical things to hold and mess with.

Edited by Seph MacLeod, 30 December 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#20 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Picked my Mad Dog Prime up yesterday, 3 kills and 5 assists with 770 damage on the first match, loaded with 2 LRM 15+Artemis(4 tons of ammo); 2 Large Pulse Lasers; 2 ER Medium Lasers. No skills unlocked.

Hot like hell, but man... the FIREPOWAAA.

And now I put in the LPL Cooldown 5 and Range 5 Mods in. :wub:

One thing to say here, if you use large LRM launchers on it, forget about indirect fire. Conserve the ammo and go for medium range direct fire, the results will surprise you. Clan LRMs are just not meant for indirect spam while carrying a huge ammo bomb around. Oh, and you can skimp a bit on the CT armor, strengthen the side torsi instead.

Edited by Marcel Bekker, 30 December 2014 - 11:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users