C3 Network

3 replies to this topic

#1 Star General Tso Kerensky

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

At one point or another, everyone here has been on the wrong end of LRM spam. To me, its one of the more frustrating aspects of the game. You get that warning and you see every missile in the air is headed straight at you. However, LRMs are kind of supposed to work that way. So, how do you maintain LRMs usefulness without nerfing them into the ground? I say bring in the C3 network.

How it should work:
Start with getting rid of the ability to lock onto targets outside of LOS. If you personally can't see the mech, you can't lock onto it. Enter, the C3 unit. You take your C3 equipped Raven and go sneak around the enemy flank. You peek out and see the main enemy force, your C3 unit will share those enemy positions with every other C3 equipped mech on the team. NOW the LRMs can start flying in from over the hill. It'll force the enemy to find the the scout and either chase them off or kill them otherwise their position will be given away. Another possible hard counter would be a mech equipped with ECM in disrupt mode within 120m of the C3 equipped mech can "jam" the C3 signal. The way I see it, it can cut down on the early game LRM spam without making LRMs as a support weapon useless.

Edited by Dtrain323i, 16 February 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

Why it wouldn't work:
1) Equipment that cost extra tonnage and criticals in their own mechs, just so that an LRM mech "might" be able to fire indirectly, is a big turnoff for almost every one. Making it a module wouldn't make it anything better.
2) All those hating LRMs with a passion, because they can't or don't want to learn how to deal with them, will not mount such equipment out of spite.

Why it shouldn't work like this:
1) LRMs are weak. There are so many counters to them, it's not even funny. No I will not list them all. There are plenty of threads every week doing just that, because someone new complains about them. Just look at the first two or three pages of General Discussions for several examples.
2) C3 is a system that needs extra tonnage and criticals from the mech carrying it. It also needs a master mech, carrying a 5 ton and 5 critical slots using master computer. The master can support three slaves and himself. Unless we are talking about C3i, which is several years in the future. But even with the masterless C3i those networks need to be set up at match start. An extra hassle and disencouragement. There is the option of simply always putting all mechs into the same network, but this would not invalidate the other points
3) C3 doesn't work this way. All C3 does, is improve your chance to hit, by calculating your shots based on the nearest firing solution from another mech in the network. It doesn't provide any data for indirect firing
4) In fact, in the Battletech universe, there is absolutly no extra equipment necessary for indirect firing. I see no reason to implement such a toll (it wouldn't be anything but that) in MWO.

Edited by Egomane, 16 February 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#3 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

View PostEgomane, on 16 February 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

4) In fact, in the Battletech universe, there is absolutly no extra equipment necessary for indirect firing. I see no reason to implement such a toll (it wouldn't be anything but that) in MWO.

You have to not fire a weapon to spot for a LRM boat in TT.

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostBurktross, on 16 February 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

You have to not fire a weapon to spot for a LRM boat in TT.

Since the release of Total Warfare rulebook that is no longer the case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users