Making/combining Videos For A Noob: Which Software?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

I have been wanting to make videos like many that get posted here that are a compilation of game footage taken from matches.

I have a solid 100GB of vidoes now that I have recorded in 1080p with Shadowplay and the first software I tried was Windows Movie Maker......it seemed OK but for some reason after I made the video and played it back it drastically reduced the resolution to a level I found unacceptable.

What are most of you guys using?

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

I use Windows Movie Maker without any problem. I know it's low tech and all, but I'm not a serious video editor and can't afford to buy anything better.

I've found that the best thing to do with Movie Maker, is to select "Save As" instead of publish. That allows you to choose the resolution of your video. I then select "High-Def; 1080" from the list, name it, and save it. After a bit, the video renders and I can watch it. The resolution is typically pretty good. I then manually upload it to YouTube.

Sample:

I also use the VSDC Free Editor software. It has a steep learning curve, but seems like a decent program. I've found it to be finicky though, sometimes working and sometimes not. It's also a bit of a coin toss as to whether the resolution will be high quality or not, regardless as to what my specifications are. I'm not certain if it is because the program is at fault or if it is my unfamiliarity with it.

CNET link for it here: http://download.cnet...4-75764187.html

Sample:

#3 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

Ok, that may have been the problem. I thin I will reinstall it and try again. THe software itself may have been low tech but it seemed simple enough to use. The main issue was the time it took to load the 16 GB files into the editor and that is with a super-fast PC with shitloads of RAM. I can only imagine the wait on a slow computer.

#4 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 18 February 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

Ok, that may have been the problem. I thin I will reinstall it and try again. THe software itself may have been low tech but it seemed simple enough to use. The main issue was the time it took to load the 16 GB files into the editor and that is with a super-fast PC with shitloads of RAM. I can only imagine the wait on a slow computer.

I try to keep my videos to about ten minutes in length. Longer vids are possible but take longer to render and can bog down your PC. Sometimes there is a loss of quality on them as well. I've found that regular game modes work well around the ten minute mark while CW videos work well between twenty and thirty minutes, but with minor loss of quality.

I like Movie Maker because it is simplistic. I can make videos with it pretty easily. I've never experienced long load times for importing materials into the software, so I'm not sure why you are experiencing that. It does take a while to save/render though, so don't plan on doing anything for a bit after you mash that button. :)

Best of luck and feel free to ask me any other questions you may have! I'm not expert, but I'll answer them as best I can.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:10 AM

well for just cutting vids together, yes Windows movie maker is simple enough and easy to use. For more complex custmisation and stuff, no idea, but WMM is quite limited.

#6 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 February 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

well for just cutting vids together, yes Windows movie maker is simple enough and easy to use. For more complex custmisation and stuff, no idea, but WMM is quite limited.

That is all I am really interested in doing. Taking about 100-120 minutes of game footage and chopping it down to the 10-15 minutes of solid action and throwing some music on.

#7 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

Video Pad is more complicated than Windows Movie Maker, but the interface is far more intuitive for me. Learning curve is pretty shallow. It's also free. I love it.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 19 February 2015 - 11:00 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users