48 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

What is the best part of the game and what is the worst part of the game to you, the individual. Please (for the black knights) refrain from cramming more than one thing into the worst choice and also please (for the white knights) refrain from saying "nothing" as the worst because even the most hardened of WK can see some flaw. If you cannot, please move on to another thread. Also; please try sticking to the game, Id appreciate it if the worst or best wasnt PGI.

Thank you.

Best part:

For me the best part of this game isnt hard to spot, its the sound. The sound is AWESOME in this game. Whether its running the game on Dolby surround headphones or running it on my 6 speaker with subwoofer Logitech 5.1 setup; the sounds never fail to imperess.

Worst part:
CW. The biggest disappointment Ive seen in this game so far was what CW has turned into. The main reason I ever even bought into this game in the first place was the hype they were building CW on. I know its only beta but its not showing the promise I think it should have. Also I think there desperately needs to be a group queue and a solo one for even CW, mainly because when you drop in Pugging and you end up against a practiced, dedicated, 12 man you are going to get farmed. And when youre a new player, you cant seriously think theyre gonna sit and take that match after match.

So, what are your best/worst areas?

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

Best? Probably Shooty Stompy Robots.

Worst? MatchMaker
Having half your team regularly fail to breach 200 damage is very annoying. NPE (lackthereof) could be an explanation...and throwing veterans with brand new players.

#3 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

The Best Part - getting that one out of ten drop where your team cooperates, people communicate, and everything moves in a slick, coordinated fashion for a match that's tactical, immensely pleasing, and adrenaline-filled.

The Worst Part - the nine out of then.

#4 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

Best: Alex's Artwork. The man is unparalelled in capturing that nostalgic 80's american mecha look and fusing it with a more modernized art style.

Worst: Weapons ballance. Instead of rolling back all the IS weapons nerfs that were put in place to balance IS vs. IS. They nerfed the hell out of clan tech and created god mode super quirked bastardized IS mechs and then watch the money role in. I don't know how they do it!

#5 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Best: most of the core game mechanics for piloting and combat.

Worst: how the game's monetized compared to the product that's been delivered.

#6 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

The best part is still - as it was even back in CB - the feel of piloting the 'mechs. It's proper stompy.

The worst part is... do I really have to pick just one? There's so many... Oh, all right then. The worst part is the total lack of any heat penalties below 100%.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Not to rain on your parade too much, but the sound and sound engine really are not that great.

1. There's a ton of sub sonics that aren't filtered out - so anyone that isn't running some sort of active eq or brick wall limiter to remove these before the signal hits their speakers is damaging their drivers.

2. Their sound engine allows for MASSIVE sound saturation, to the point that it will blow out many lesser quality drivers.

It's been an issue since early on. I offered to re-sample and process all of their audio for free several times, even offered to help them re-code their audio engine.

Otherwise my thoughts are

The good - the core game play is good.
The bad - the game hasn't had much meaningful development other than bug fixes and mechs since beta.

#8 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

The sound was lot better in closed beta , heavier foot steps , better impact sounds , Pop corn ammo explosion , better LRM sounds. The new sound set only has few better sounds but has killed off the rest. I.E PPC's are better but Gauss sounds like a sneeze.

For me

The good: New mechgame, Mechs look great , cockpits very nice , great affects but were better at one point , . The ability to build your mechs.

The bad: Lacking in role warfare, Straight forward typical game modes no real military objective based modes, To much agility, CW could do with improvement and lastly Scale. Lacking a bit of head bob

Other from that I am always watching to see what new things come up.

Edited by Kh0rn, 17 August 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

Best: Good basic mechanics. Mechs feel good and control very well. Feels like a modern MechWarrior title should control.

Worst: Lack of weight and substance with the content. No real connection to lore or the various houses.

#10 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Best - Robots!

Worst - Matchmaker (so many bads on one team), bad design decisions such as weapon balance, convergence, old armor system and terrain movement penalties. The game was way more fun before the terrain penalties (hills you can't climb/slowdown etc).

#11 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Best: The art design in this game is phenomenal. Yes I know the 3D modelers don't always capture the 2d art perfectly but it still remains very solid.

Worst: Quirks. I've only played since March of this year but holy **** are quirks stupid sometimes.

#12 Ghoullees

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

Best part, is NOT playing a CW match. ( Just returned to the game after a years hiatus, and I've had my face pummelled by OP, one sided match ups where my entire pug team is just a punching bag ).

Worst part: Facing off against ANY mech with Clan items in it ( see above ).

Matchmaking needs to go to a whole new level. PGI've introduced a new level/range of weapons, well now you need to include a whole new range and level of match making for a fair fight. Match making needs to not only take into consideration mech weight ranges, but also Clan / Not Clan weaponry AND pilot attained skills and buffs.

Three times tonight I have been two shotted in my mechs from full health ( and no, I wasn't standing still ).

Not a great intro into the game. Why would I spend time trying to compete with the above, decidedly unfair, and unfun debarcle? I sure as hell wouldn't put dollars down.

#13 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'm going to leave obvious gameplay pros and cons aside and look at the actual game itself.

Best part: LRMs on max settings. So pretty.

Worst part: Max settings kills your FPS when you shoot nearby terrain.

#14 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

The good: Blowing stuff up

The bad: Getting blown up without blowing anything up

#15 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

What I saw in CB can not be unseen maybe I should of never entered in CB cause then I would of never know how good it really could of been.

#16 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

Best part: it's Mechwarrior! The combat and game play is great and challenging (as long as your not getting rolled lol) and the mechs look fantastic.

The worst: not a lot to do. CW is dull and pug matches almost always turn into a skirmish.

#17 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Best part: most of the core game mechanics work. MWO lets me feel like I'm piloting the proverbial huge robotic war machine, which combined with the excellent mech models gives some damned good immersion.

Worst part: This is suppose to be MechWARrior. Where's the war? Where's the simulation of grand-scale warfare in the Battletech universe that I (we) thought we'd be getting? Constant team deathmatch with zero consequences is getting very stagnant. This tallies with the monetisation that PGI seem to be employing:

Mech pack! You'll have to wait 3 months, so in the mean time...
All your cash are belong to us now!
Mech pack! You'll have to wait 6 month now, but in the mean time...
Another mech pack! Ha ha suckers, 9 months to wait this time! Never mind...
What? You want content? Never mind, here's yet another shiny mech pack!
And so forth.

I've long since closed my wallet and it won't be opening again so long as PGI produces pack after pack of shiny ephemeral nonsense and bugger all content with any depth to it. I feel as a long-term Battletech fan that PGI have been treating me (us) and our good will like a credit card. Well tough luck, you've reached your damned credit limit. No more for you until you start producing meaningful content. MWO should not be ******* pokemon :angry:

#18 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Best part-
The overall feel of the game. The controls and mechanics are all very smooth and refined. This carries over to the fact that each chassis behaves differently and fulfills their roles quite well.

Worst part-
The lack of content. This game gets very stale after a while because we lack a variety of game modes and well developed maps (River City is a step in the right direction, though). After a while, it just feels like the same old thing with not much variance. Games can get very predictable.

#19 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Best;

It's Mechwarrior.

Worse;

Playing solo in group focused game. Otherwise, incomplete CW.

#20 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

The Good: All the weight classes are viable.

The Bad: the inventory system. I have over 100 mechs. When swapping engines, don't make me go looking through all the mechs to find it, go into loadout, remove it, save, and go back and equip it. It adds a lot of tedium to mech building--which should be made as fun as possible.

Edited by CtrlAltWheee, 17 August 2015 - 12:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users