Is Balance Getting Out Of Hand

Balance

131 replies to this topic

#121 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

If quirks are gone, that means that the clans have access to mechs that use XL engines that don't explode when your right or left torso dies, every component is CASE protected, and your lasers all outrange IS lasers - why even play IS mechs anymore? The fact that you can't swap out your engines is a minor drawback compared to having access to better weapons and more durable mechs that are faster than what the IS can field (other than lights).

Quirks are obviously intended to make the IS stuff competitive with Clan tech because having an entire side have access to better mechs is just idiotic, if quirks are removed something else would have to change to keep the game even remotely balanced. It's an extremely simple idea and I don't know why people can't get it through their thick skulls why it's in the game in the first place.

Edited by Richter Kerensky, 01 March 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#122 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 01 March 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

If quirks are gone, that means that the clans have access to mechs that use XL engines that don't explode when your right or left torso dies, every component is CASE protected, and your lasers all outrange IS lasers - why even play IS mechs anymore? The fact that you can't swap out your engines is a minor drawback compared to having access to better weapons and more durable mechs that are faster than what the IS can field (other than lights).

Quirks are obviously intended to make the IS stuff competitive with Clan tech because having an entire side have access to better mechs is just idiotic, if quirks are removed something else would have to change to keep the game even remotely balanced. It's an extremely simple idea and I don't know why people can't get it through their thick skulls why it's in the game in the first place.

haha, you are baka fool. you see, in book of trash paper words, clan mechs superior to inner sphere in all instances. feel the rich lore and salty tears of garbage clanner idiots who couldnt manage a postive kd/r with the best mech in the game and become enlighten.

#123 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

View PostHARDKOR, on 21 February 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

This whole thread brings me joy, on many levels.

I, too, HARDKOR. God I love these forums sometimes.

Posted Image

Edited by Kiiyor, 02 March 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#124 Tilakkam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

Sorry, i am not good in english. But i want to say 1 thing - fixing hitreg and weapons will cure most of balance problems. As a clanner I have only medium lasers, srm4, gauss, lrm5-10 and some of lbx. As a IS I dont have this problem and my only problem is " am i fat with this AC20?"

#125 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 21 February 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

I just had an interesting game. 12man (NS from kurita, great job btw) against 12 complete pugs. You can guess they rolled over us.....

Focus Fire and Teamplay needs to be nerfed hard :ph34r:

#126 Kyzar Kon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

Guess no one told FRR..... >.>

#127 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

View PostGreyGhost, on 01 March 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

It's interesting seeing the dragons trying to defend their sniper mechs, I think it's nerf paranoia. They know they nerf is coming, eventually, and are trying to desperately to pretend the advantage isn't there.

It's pretty obvious though,
IS. 27 damage at 911 meters with 20.4 heat - from higher energy mount. (3 er- large)
Clan. 22 damage at 814 meters with 20 heat - from lower energy mount - and additional burn time - thus greater mech exposure.. (2 er large.)

And there we have Kurita screaming at the top of their lungs that there REALLY ISN'T a tech advantage. Honest, You should totally believe them and not look at the math or the way the mech relates to terrain. Totally don't do that, it might poke holes in the "narrative."

Weapon quirks need to go.

Dude, you are comparing 15 tons of IS lasers to 8 tons of clan lasers. Of course there is going to be an advantage.

#128 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:01 AM

I see balance issues on both sides.

On the IS side, Firestarters and Thunderbolts like crazy.

On the Clan side, Ludicrous numbers of Timber Wolves and Stormcrows.

If the game was balanced right now, you wouldn't have everyone going directly for these designs. Rather, you'd see a broad mix of just about everything. Spamming the same weapon? Maybe, but that has more to do with map design. A map more heavily focused on Close ranged combat would likely see more AC-20/ML usage, as with Sulfrous, but without the mile-long corridors of mostly open terrain leading up to the gates.

#129 reiGngehoWn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 235 posts
  • LocationFacepalm Springs

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:18 AM

View PostEns, on 02 March 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Focus Fire and Teamplay needs to be nerfed hard :ph34r:

pretty neat comment - ignored

coring an assault mech within 2-3 seconds should not be possible(1on1) but it certainly is.

#130 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

I play both time of mechs almost every day and these are some considerations:

- The problem and the huge advantage of any IS laser is the beam time: faster beam→less spray→more focused damage→more efficient. Simple as that. So you can move out of cover, fire and tank the return fire. Clan mechs can't to that, they have to look at the target for longer time. Also, that's why many clanners boat a lot of weapons, thinking that more weapons→more damage→more efficient. Nope, more weapons=more difficult heat management unless the target is standing still (=suicide).
Personally I would trade the reduced weight for quicker beam time immediately. There's no point in dealing a lot of damage to both legs, arms and side torsos when you can do less damage overall but more focused in the CT.

- Boating is a problem both for IS and Clans. However, for clans is also a necessity: AC are quite bad and also are very heavy. I perfectly know that IS' AC are heavier, but IS mechs can mount FF+ES+lighter engines. Demostration is that clans don't have a mech with 2xGauss (except for the Daishi). Improving Clans AC is a very important step to reduce laser boating.

- ATM IS has some better designed mechs with higher weapons (stalker, jager, etc) whereas Clanner has less good options (hellbringer) but I think Wave III will adress this.
Btw, the Stalker is a very good mech and I think is the best chassis atm for IS (well, unless it's used by some idiot to boat LRM. That's a totally wasted mech!). I think it shares the same hitboxes of the TWolf, even the latter tanks damage better due to higher mobility (even a bit too much I think).

- The current quirks are totally off. PGI should make them more centered on durability instead of cooldown and heat. Oherwise we could expect a Masakari Prime with the same quirks of the Awesome. Can you image what a moster we'll have then?

- I also would love to see some improvement to the FF. Perhaps make it rise your max armour by a small percentage. It has to be a good alternative to ES, especially for assaults.

That being said, my favourite MWO "easy mode mechs" are: Hellbringer 2xER LL, 4x E ML (Avg dmg: 564; KDR: 3.01) and King Crab 4x UAC5, 2xML (Avg dmg: 621; KDR: 2.4).
Last thing: teamplay is OP. A better team will usually beat a bunch of pugs, even if they have better mechs.

#131 GreyGhost

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

View Postred devil2, on 02 March 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

- ATM IS has some better designed mechs with higher weapons (stalker, jager, etc) whereas Clanner has less good options (hellbringer) but I think Wave III will adress this.

I hope so, and I hope the eventual Clan quirk pass will even things out, and then the guys about will be on here doing math like:

IS. 27 damage at 911 meters with 20.4 heat - from higher energy mount. (3 er- large)
Clan. 22 damage at 814 meters with 20 heat - from lower energy mount - and additional burn time - thus greater mech exposure.. (2 er large.)

Except it will fall out the other way.

#132 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostreiGngehoWn, on 02 March 2015 - 02:18 AM, said:

pretty neat comment - ignored

coring an assault mech within 2-3 seconds should not be possible(1on1) but it certainly is.

there are two mechs in game capable of doing so in a 1on1 situation...
and if they manage to do it so fast, the guy getting cored in 2-3 seconds did something very wrong....like not moving at all for instance :o

Edited by Ens, 02 March 2015 - 07:21 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users