Clan Players Are Tired Of Laser Vomit - Please Fix The C(U)Acs

134 replies to this topic

#121 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 24 February 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

I went out and upgraded my "Rubber Boots" to a "Full Body Rubber Suit" for when the "Clan Tears of Dissapoint! AFF" come raining down on said March 3rd.

Now that I think about it. I should have probably upgraded to a friggin ARC. :)

Lets be honest, you've had the gimp suit lying around for a while.

My only fear is that they continue with the trend of using quirks to fix simultaneously broken mechs and broken weapons - that's what saddled us with the 9S, after all. I'd like to see all weapons at least usable at baseline (see: LB/UACs, ERPPC), and then use quirks to make underperforming chassis better. I guess we'll see in a week...

#122 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

I'm die hard CJF for lore and other reasons. I already run some of the non-meta mechs such as Novas, and I'm looking at finally picking up the Summoner. Whatever changes come our way, I'll adapt and continue Clanning on.

#123 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

I thought clammers were suppose to love the laser vomit and not like ammo weapons?

#124 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 23 February 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

But all the RP dudes and lorewizards told us that DoT guns like in muh lore and muh honorable books was Just And Proper.

Are you saying they were wrong, and because of their insistence, we got saddled with clan ballistics that are more like very heavy and ammo consuming MWO lasers, than actual guns?

Dear me, I never would have guessed that in late 2013. You guys are blowing my mind here.

What most of us were asking for were guns made from multiple manufacturers, each slightly different, as in the following example:

AC/20:
Chemjet Gun 185mm: 1 round, 20 damage.
Pontiac 100: 5 rounds, 4 damage each.
Kali Yama Big Bore: 2 rounds, 10 damage each.

The ones firing multiple rounds could receive some sort of benefit, such as lower heat, better range, or slightly higher damage per round. The one firing the single large slug might even have less-than-average range for an AC/20.

THIS is what the 'lorewizards' really wanted. What we got was a copy/paste of tabletop damage numbers.

#125 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostWarZ, on 23 February 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Another major reason why you see mostly laser vomit is because with the exception of the Dire Wolf, I believe all other clan mechs have such limited weapon tonnage that you can't mount / boat too much dakka. For example, you can't put dual gauss / ac20 on any clan mech except the Dire. You can fit 2 on a Timber, but you cant carry enough ammo to make it worthwhile (I think 3-4 tons total depending on your armor sacrifices). You can barely put dual ac10's on a Timber.

All but one of the clan mechs sacrifice weapon tonnage for speed (locked engines and JJ's). They simple dont have the tonnage to have comparable ballistics loadouts that the IS mechs can carry.

For example, 65 ton IS mechs can mount dual gauss and carry sufficient ammo to run them for a match. They can mount dual ac20 as well.

The best way clans can get sufficient alpha power for the tonnage is to use lasers.

That alone is the single largest contributor to laser vomit.

If I could mount dual guass on a Timber, maybe even dual ac20, I'd happily do so. The hard points exist. There is simply not enough tonnage to make it work. I'd trade some of that speed in a heart beat.

Heck even looking at the wave 3 mechs, the executioner, people are saying will have only 25 to 26.5 tons of weapon space. That means no dual gauss, since you couldnt mount enough ammo to run them. Thats means more laser vomit. Thats a 95 ton mech, that has the potential hard points, but simply cant mount much ballistics even if it wanted too.

Then on top of the above, you have laser like damage spray.

The TBR has an oversized engine and it has 5 tons dedicated to DHS. You would NOT mount two gauss rifles in that mech, its a serious waste of tonnage. TBR's are meant for missile and energy builds. Whenever I see an AC in a TBR, I'm laughing because in most cases, the player gimped himself.

#126 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

I really don't have any problem with clan AC's. Of course it helps if you keep a steady hand but the burn time is less than the shortest pulse lasers so if you're having excessive spread issues...

#127 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostZolaz, on 24 February 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

I thought clammers were suppose to love the laser vomit and not like ammo weapons?

No, no.... you got that wrong, we don't like melee combat in our mechs, we find it barbaric.

#128 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostZolaz, on 24 February 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

While the Clans abhor waste, even the Snow Ravens use plenty of ballistic and missile weaponry.

#129 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostRhent, on 24 February 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

The TBR has an oversized engine and it has 5 tons dedicated to DHS. You would NOT mount two gauss rifles in that mech, its a serious waste of tonnage. TBR's are meant for missile and energy builds. Whenever I see an AC in a TBR, I'm laughing because in most cases, the player gimped himself.

If I could mount dual gauss and 7-8 tons of ammo in a Timber (as you can in some 65 ton and larger IS mechs), you would not be laughing at all. I can create absolute evil in an IS mech with them. Put that in the Timber and I'm fine ;)

For comparison, my favorite Timber build is nothing more than 2 erppc and a mid size targeting computer with whatever heat sinks I can pile in on top (23-24 depending on the comp). I almost always break 700 damage in the thing. I routinely do 1k + damage on heat maps like terra therma. 1/3 of my damage is spread.

If I could switch that to effectively mount a pair of gauss, with no heat restriction and enough ammo to run them, with perhaps a clan er medium or two as backup... I drool at the prospect. I would have no problem dropping down to 72 to 80 kph with no JJ.

I would break a lot more stuff.

Edited by WarZ, 24 February 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#130 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 23 February 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

I wouldn't say lack of choices is our issue. The issue is that pretty much all those choices are underwhelming.

Well the only choices I will even recognize are the LBXs and the Gauss Rifle.

The CUACs / CACs are so poor I dont consider them... ever.

Edited by DONTOR, 24 February 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#131 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • Locationnot the arse hole of the world, but I can see it from here

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

Q. do all projectiles fired from CA/C20 (1 shot ) need to hit foe to get same impulse ( screen shake ) as 1 shot from IS A/C20 ?

Edited by WazOfOz, 24 February 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#132 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostWazOfOz, on 24 February 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

Q. do all projectiles fired from CA/C20 (1 shot ) need to hit foe to get same impulse ( screen shake ) as 1 shot from IS A/C20 ?

70% of the impulse, I imagine per shell.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

#133 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 February 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Look at what, fixing the Thunderbolt 9S?

It never should have had half heat ERPPC's to begin with, that mech only ever carried one in TT/Lore... those quirks made it a better Awesome, than the freaking Awesome. Hell it was a better Warhawk, than the Warhawk. If you don't see that as being a problem, well I don't know what else to say.

Posted Image

#134 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostNgamok, on 25 February 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

yes. if the thunderbolt was your only good mech you are terrible at the game.

#135 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

View PostBrody319, on 25 February 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

yes. if the thunderbolt was your only good mech you are terrible at the game.

Pretty much

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users