- - - - -

Sorry Again, The Artillery Etc

17 replies to this topic

#1 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

I know how it can be sanched for a better in a battlefield, but I have no more than 3 days of playing game (I just joined on Monday, last week, but have not had time to really play with it.
I was wonderng, I bought the air strike, but I do not know how to use it properly :-(
Or how about a simulator that excellent We progra m the ZPM's to crack outer window w

Does anyone know anyone can do the job.

Taradela (Capellan Confederation)

#2 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

it is a key pull that places indirect fire a few seconds after you activate it, it is also not limited by distance. costs 40k c-bills, and needs to be placed in your mech's module slot.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:53 PM

When you load it in the modules section, there are two consumable slots. The top one is activated by the Insert key by default and the bottom one is activated by the Delete key by default (or maybe it's Home and End? I have remapped mine from the defaults). When you decide to use it, it will activate and put a red smoke canister at the location of your circle reticle. An arty strike will have that as it's center, but an airstrike will start the "runway" at that point and drop bombs away from your existing location, whatever angle is away from you at that moment in time. For a better arty or airstrike, save up for one of the upgrade modules in the pilot skills. The one that makes your 4 shells into 10. Whatever the exact name of it is I forget.

#4 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

As a new player, I would advise against equipping arty or air strike. At 40k cbills each shot (once per match), its a luxury item you can't really afford for awhile. And while it sounds good, its damage is spread out over the affected mechs, even less so until you can afford to unlock the pilot modules to upgrade it to Improved Arty or Improved Air.

It IS useful to get enemy mechs to back off of key terrain, or if you see them grouped up together, but for now I would focus on primary weapons of your mech. Its fun to play with, but not really the game changer it sounds like.

You can practice with it in the Testing Grounds tab (left side on Home page in game) for free, ie it doesn't charge you 40k each time. Only problem is I don't see the actual explosions, just the damage done to the enemy mech. But that will get you used to how it fires - basically, whevever the "o" of you target reticle is placed, or if your press "R" and highlight an enemy mech it will land at that mech's feet.

----
I've found a better use of that 40k cbills is UAV. You'll get extra cbills and xp for using it - scouting, spotting and locked damage bonuses. The cbill gains don't match the cost of using it, but will offset some of the expense so the net cost is around 20 instead of 40k. Plus, you'll gain XP faster, especially if you are still getting the +50% cadet bonus

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 23 February 2015 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:37 AM

Arti splashes around the red smoke, Air strike runs along the direction you look starting at the red smoke. Use Air strikes for narrow, long passages.

#6 PirLanTota

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

http://www.howtoplay...ml/modules.html

Scroll down to the Arti vs Airstrike, there is a picture there showing the falling area of the shells. X marks the smoke area, blue area is where the explosions can happen

#7 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

"They are also on a team-timer, meaning if someone in your team deployed an Airstrike or Artillery Strike, you need to wait for yours to reload again."

Is that still true? Didn't know. If so, what is timer set at?

#8 PirLanTota

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:00 AM

Yes its still there. I think its around 20 to 30 seconds, might be a bit less. But once smoke is popped, you need to wait a bit

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

View PostTaradele, on 22 February 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

I know how it can be sanched for a better in a battlefield, but I have no more than 3 days of playing game (I just joined on Monday, last week, but have not had time to really play with it.
I was wonderng, I bought the air strike, but I do not know how to use it properly :-(
Or how about a simulator that excellent We progra m the ZPM's to crack outer window w

Does anyone know anyone can do the job.

Taradela (Capellan Confederation)

There is a button Home, or End, that activates your strike.

The Airstrike is deployed in a straight line that (I can't remember if it) goes either from the direction of your base or the direction you are looking at the time you press the button. Either way, the first bomb drops where you place the "o" crosshair when you press the button and from there, it goes in a straight line.

The Artillery strike is deployed in a randomized circular area around the center of your attack, with a less than 20% chance of one of the bombs dropping in the center (so sometimes you'll find Dire Wolves dropping Artillery on themselves to get rid of enemies!) Again it centers around the 'o' crosshair when you press the button to fire it.

Be careful, it can and will get stuck on invisible walls. Aim clear of cover and not alongside cover. For example it could accidentally stop on a building or ledge and assume you fired there, rather than that spot 2,000 meters beyond that invisible wall.

A tag can be used to test for invisible walls.
Posted Image
Note the laser on the left is stopped by an invisible wall.

Good luck.

One thing I should note, it only costs 40,000 cbills to get it.
And you will only be charged another 40,000 cbills if you have the auto refill ticked, and only if you used it during that match. I sometimes hold on to mine for dozens and dozens of matches before I use it.

#10 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 February 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

There is a button Home, or End, that activates your strike.

The Airstrike is deployed in a straight line that (I can't remember if it) goes either from the direction of your base or the direction you are looking at the time you press the button. Either way, the first bomb drops where you place the "o" crosshair when you press the button and from there, it goes in a straight line.

It goes the direction you are facing. It would be harder to calculate it if it came from the direction of your base, especially on skirmish/conquest.

#11 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

btw Tim, love the sig and don't mind it, but I'm not the guy who said it. Was someome I was responding to, just in case he ever shows up and accuses you of mixing it up his quote ;)

#12 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 23 February 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

btw Tim, love the sig and don't mind it, but I'm not the guy who said it. Was someome I was responding to, just in case he ever shows up and accuses you of mixing it up his quote ;)

I can't seem to find a source of this earlier than you. Have you considered linking quotes with the button on the post?

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 23 February 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostTim East, on 23 February 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

I can't seem to find a source of this earlier than you. Have you considered linking quotes with the button on the post?

Found it. Click the "Arrow" to go to the original post.

View PostEX S, on 14 February 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Well, thanks to the advice of everyone in this thread, I was able to increase my average damage these last few games to around 100-150 points of damage. Although I never thought stealth would be useful (or possible) in a mech sim of all things...

Thanks to this tip I was able to get a 232 damage game on HPG just now. I died because I fixated too much on one target, so I definitely need to work on knowing when to disengage.

Are there any mechs who I should flat out never attempt to fight without a reasonable advantage? I've heard Streak Carriers are bad news, but what mechs typically carry them?

#14 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:16 AM

"Have you considered linking quotes with the button on the post?"

I've tried but it doesn't seem to work for me - can't see anything quoted.

But its likely the pilot not the plane ;) I must being doing it wrong.

#15 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 February 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Found it. Click the "Arrow" to go to the original post.

Tango Mike, Kon. Much appreciated.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 24 February 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

"Have you considered linking quotes with the button on the post?"

I've tried but it doesn't seem to work for me - can't see anything quoted.

But its likely the pilot not the plane ;) I must being doing it wrong.

Internet explorer won't do it properly.
Or are you using Chrome / Firefox? Or a web browser?

#17 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

Internet Explorer on Windows 8.1

Are you saying that, this one time, its not me? Yay! :)

#18 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

Keep in mind that the explosives come from the top down. This means you won't be able to hit those BENEATH cover like under the tower on HPG and the "balcony" (for lack of a better word) on Crimson. The really tall walls on Mordor in the caldera that block missiles? Not a problem because the bombs come straight down for all intents and purposes. Instead of imagining them as artillery and airstrikes, imagine them like a tiny orbital bombardment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users