• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

This topic is a referred answer to waterfowl's one

http://mwomercs.com/...is-event-sucks/

I think that pgi's only intent is to increase playerbase as much as possible, and they are doing it in the easiest way: gifts gifts gifts, easy gifts for everyone who needs to grind as much hours as possible to achieve them.

What'all.

IMO, it's a huge mistake.
Because mwo will ALWAYS remain a niche game.
It's a pure illusion to increase playerbase in this manner, EVEN with steam coming.

I love to achieve a challenge, I really don't care about camo, colors, badder (LOL, they give us...a ... badder!! rolf). but I love to have a goal, and try to achieve it.

Look at this:
Posted Image

It seems pretty fine to achieve 1 point quite every match.
No it isn't. I didn't have fun. I'm doing it because I'm in in every chellenge. But, meanwhile, I would like puglandia's behaviors to be at least tolerable.
(yes, I know that Puglanders are commonly missing teamplay during any day...but still!)

Is PGI "suggesting" to newbies or solo players, with this kind of event's rule, to throw away any intent of teamplay in mwo?
Because this seems to me a suicide decision.

In any business affair, when there is a niche subject, is mandatory to privilege quality over quantity.

Is PGi really interest in occasional players who can drop a bunch of money and then disappear?

I believe newplayers will remain and will continue to open thier wallet, only if they can have fun.

Meanwhile, I think I'll only drop with group/unit.

It seems to me PGi really doesn't care about a pillar of its own game: a good pick up game experience.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 28 February 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:35 AM

The only thing I don't like about these challenges is all the whining about kill stealing. Other people complain about the vicious scrambling for kills, but I actually love that. Brutal, unpredictable chaos - the absolute essence of Pug Life™.

This sort of event does indeed force team play (what little there is) to take a back seat, but really, that's what pugging is all about. If there is any one thing that is going to teach a new player to forage for themselves, it's these sorts of events. Baptism of fire, you eat what you catch, cull the weak, etcetera.

If you're not having fun... Well, you can always walk away! You don't -have- to grind at all.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:05 AM

Its not about growing the player base. Its just about getting people playing, pushing concurrent users up, getting people into new mechs that they'll then be motivated to level up.

Its 100% just to encourage play. Not because of DOOM! DOOM AND GLOOM! but because they always want more people playing more.

And it does.

Now, I tend to avoid these events because they require more play than I can commit to in a weekend. I do most challenges, but I didn't get the Raven, Victor, Cataphract, and I won't get this Adder. I'd have liked them all, but just lack the time over the short frames that the events run.

#4 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:10 AM

Speaking of kill steals, I went in deep and committed to my target ( a summoner ) and proceeded to woop his ass with my cent AL and if it wasn't for that stupid auto lock targeting what you look at ( I never hit r ) I would of had my kill and my assist.

But no some useless lrm boat sat up the back without taking any risk gets my booty !

Get rid of the auto lock if I don't hit r its because I don't want a lock !

#5 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:17 AM

Russ mentioned on Twitter that he's sick of the whining about events and wants to just stop doing them because of all the bellyaching.

I don't think that events generally promote good gameplay, but I am certainly willing to tolerate it for free stuff; this has always been my stance.

Not sure what's wrong with just using match score, it's not a bad indicator of performance as is, and we've seen in past tournaments that match score can be used as part of a formula for event qualifications; not sure what's wrong with just saying "a game with a match score over 40 qualifies" etc.

View Postsneeking, on 01 March 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

Speaking of kill steals, I went in deep and committed to my target ( a summoner ) and proceeded to woop his ass with my cent AL and if it wasn't for that stupid auto lock targeting what you look at ( I never hit r ) I would of had my kill and my assist.

But no some useless lrm boat sat up the back without taking any risk gets my booty !

Get rid of the auto lock if I don't hit r its because I don't want a lock !

If you really really want to not help your team that much, hitting r while locked on to a target will switch to something you don't care about, or if there is nothing else to target, just deselects the target.

#6 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

Its a challenge criteria, what I really wanted was that kill I put all the work into

Not to mention all the risk

#7 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:27 AM

I'm fine with stealkilling, I steal, I get stealed. No problem in this.

I can understand that PGI wants to "enlarge" playerbase, but, IMO, they are doing in the wrong way, 'cause mwo will always remain a niche game.
So, to have a good and "faithful" even if small (but paying) playerbase, it would be better to improve game experience, instead of putting the playerbase in the meatgrinder...and that's all untill next weekend.

Seriously does PGi think to launch steam release in this way?
Because I think that:
first newbies from steam won't understand a damn thing about teamplay (cause they know nothing about lore, bt etc.),

second, with that huge amount of bugs and hitreg issues, they will run away anyhow.

third: grinding grinding grinding... but they will wonder "but... for what am I grindind?... I don't get it...
How many time have we said that we need other than an duel arena?
Niche players love to sit in a cockpit, and I have fun with it.
But newbies?

#8 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:31 AM

Im fine with anyone who has the balls to go in like I did and take it from me, im not fine with those who sit out back and steal.

We should be able to choose not to lock when we engage face to face.

Maybe I need a rapid fire R key macro for such occasions ?

Edited by sneeking, 01 March 2015 - 01:34 AM.

#9 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 28 February 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

This topic is a referred answer to waterfowl's one

http://mwomercs.com/...is-event-sucks/

I think that pgi's only intent is to increase playerbase as much as possible, and they are doing it in the easiest way: gifts gifts gifts, easy gifts for everyone who needs to grind as much hours as possible to achieve them.

What'all.

IMO, it's a huge mistake.
Because mwo will ALWAYS remain a niche game.
It's a pure illusion to increase playerbase in this manner, EVEN with steam coming.

I love to achieve a challenge, I really don't care about camo, colors, badder (LOL, they give us...a ... badder!! rolf). but I love to have a goal, and try to achieve it.

Look at this:
Posted Image

It seems pretty fine to achieve 1 point quite every match.
No it isn't. I didn't have fun. I'm doing it because I'm in in every chellenge. But, meanwhile, I would like puglandia's behaviors to be at least tolerable.
(yes, I know that Puglanders are commonly missing teamplay during any day...but still!)

Is PGI "suggesting" to newbies or solo players, with this kind of event's rule, to throw away any intent of teamplay in mwo?
Because this seems to me a suicide decision.

In any business affair, when there is a niche subject, is mandatory to privilege quality over quantity.

Is PGi really interest in occasional players who can drop a bunch of money and then disappear?

I believe newplayers will remain and will continue to open thier wallet, only if they can have fun.

Meanwhile, I think I'll only drop with group/unit.

It seems to me PGi really doesn't care about a pillar of its own game: a good pick up game experience.

Oh for goodness' sake. The worst thing about prev tournaments was win requirement. They remove that. Now you start moaning about something else. The tournament is fine. I'm all for bitching when something sucks but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Really, anyone with a lick of sense can get a kill and an assist in a game, even when dropping in sub-par mechs.

Edited by Yosharian, 01 March 2015 - 03:35 AM.

#10 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:44 AM

View Postaniviron, on 01 March 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

Russ mentioned on Twitter that he's sick of the whining about events and wants to just stop doing them because of all the bellyaching.

I don't think that events generally promote good gameplay, but I am certainly willing to tolerate it for free stuff; this has always been my stance.

Not sure what's wrong with just using match score, it's not a bad indicator of performance as is, and we've seen in past tournaments that match score can be used as part of a formula for event qualifications; not sure what's wrong with just saying "a game with a match score over 40 qualifies" etc.

If you really really want to not help your team that much, hitting r while locked on to a target will switch to something you don't care about, or if there is nothing else to target, just deselects the target.

Russ can shove his twitter. Instead he should open a dialog with those who had very good suggestions on how to score a challenge here.

I got an 11 assist and over 900 dam in a match this morning but no kills. Was I an asset to my team?

Sorry, those making headway in this kill, assist then disco into another match. I fight for my team so therefore I get screwed.

Maybe Russ should think or hire someone who can think.

Edited by Mudhutwarrior, 01 March 2015 - 03:46 AM.

#11 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:46 AM

View Postaniviron, on 01 March 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

Then Russ should not pout but think what can be done. One thing for example is to use match score as an indicator.

#12 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

All this talk aobut MW:O being niche with a dedicated playerbase. If PGI had any inerest in that the game wouldn't have been free-to-play in the first place. Free-to-Play is for the masses. I hate it and it gets companies doing crappy things but that's the way it is. F2P = bring me your masses.

#13 Beatle1

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

True, F2P is for masses.. but PGI failed so miserably that apart from die-hard borderline zelous Mechwarrior fans there are no players. Also lets be honest here, PGI doesnt give a flying duck about its playerbase, they dont read forum posts, they dont care that the event is pandering only to the vets, they dont care that new players have a snowball chance in hell to get even 20 points, they don't care that economy in this game is fubar, but what they do care is milking them whales out of the money and selling them mech packs, golden mechs and anything for absurd prices to those fanatics that will with foam on theri face protect this company every ridicoulus decision.

#14 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostYosharian, on 01 March 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

Oh for goodness' sake. The worst thing about prev tournaments was win requirement. They remove that. Now you start moaning about something else. The tournament is fine. I'm all for bitching when something sucks but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Really, anyone with a lick of sense can get a kill and an assist in a game, even when dropping in sub-par mechs.

So there are 2 possibilities:

1) you play group only, so you don't know the state of silliness that reigns in pugland, above all during this kind of event

2) you are perfectly fine with this state of silliness that reigns in puglandia

#15 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 01 March 2015 - 03:44 AM, said:

Russ can shove his twitter. Instead he should open a dialog with those who had very good suggestions on how to score a challenge here.

I got an 11 assist and over 900 dam in a match this morning but no kills. Was I an asset to my team?

Sorry, those making headway in this kill, assist then disco into another match. I fight for my team so therefore I get screwed.

Maybe Russ should think or hire someone who can think.

Dude it's called a 'challenge' for a reason.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 01 March 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

So there are 2 possibilities:

1) you play group only, so you don't know the state of silliness that reigns in pugland, above all during this kind of event

2) you are perfectly fine with this state of silliness that reigns in puglandia

But none of the 'silliness' prevents you from getting a kill and an assist. It just makes it extremely difficult to win matches. And believe me I'm aware of how rough it is pugging solo.

If anything the only complaint would be that the requirement for the Adder (or Free Mech Bay as I'm calling it) is a little high, 50 points is a lot.

Edited by Yosharian, 01 March 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostKrysic, on 01 March 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

All this talk aobut MW:O being niche with a dedicated playerbase. If PGI had any inerest in that the game wouldn't have been free-to-play in the first place. Free-to-Play is for the masses. I hate it and it gets companies doing crappy things but that's the way it is. F2P = bring me your masses.

Still, I can't see any masses here...

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 01 March 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#17 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostYosharian, on 01 March 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

Dude it's called a 'challenge' for a reason.

But none of the 'silliness' prevents you from getting a kill and an assist. It just makes it extremely difficult to win matches. And believe me I'm aware of how rough it is pugging solo.

If anything the only complaint would be that the requirement for the Adder (or Free Mech Bay as I'm calling it) is a little high, 50 points is a lot.

Don't be stupid. My issue is with how the challenge is set. Its kill, assist then disco if you want to get it over with. Doesn't mean a thing about playing well. If I just fight for the win I will not do well. Its a counter productive poorly thought out challenge.

#18 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

Ive got other challenges done but this i will skip. Its not worth my time when the matches are mostly toxic. Let the hungry do the challenge.. i ll enjoy my weekend

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 01 March 2015 - 05:48 AM.

#19 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:47 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 01 March 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

Don't be stupid. My issue is with how the challenge is set. Its kill, assist then disco if you want to get it over with. Doesn't mean a thing about playing well. If I just fight for the win I will not do well. Its a counter productive poorly thought out challenge.

You point out a perceived problem and fail to provide a solution. There is no real way to determine 'played well' in a meaningful way using statistics. A kill and an assist is reasonable in my opinion. And yes, getting the kill is a challenge.

#20 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostYosharian, on 01 March 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

You point out a perceived problem and fail to provide a solution. There is no real way to determine 'played well' in a meaningful way using statistics. A kill and an assist is reasonable in my opinion. And yes, getting the kill is a challenge.

Wrong.
The real way is the WIN requirement.
BT and mw too, are teambase games, and it's mandatory to have a minimum teaplay to win.

By erasing the win requirement, pgi let and seems to suggest to players to throw away this concept, and that pgi wants this game to become ...what? ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users