20+Hours In 3 Days = Free Mech Or A Part Time Job?

52 replies to this topic

#21 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

I'll be giving this one a shot, but it just means I'll have four Adders in my garage that I haven't touched yet.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Farming is a part time job.

Did you not know? :P

My Firestarter will wub you.

#23 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Doesn't sound part time to me.

30 hours divided by 7 days is 4.28, so if it takes more than 4.28 hours per day of the event, it's a full-time job.

We Americans usually work 40 hours though, which is an average of 5.71 per day.

#24 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

OP has a point, its easier to buy all that stuff for 30$, then to grind it. My choice is - due to limited time i can play on weekends, even 20 points would be a problem, so i never aim further than the first stage. If i feel like adder, camo and stuff, ican spare 30$, i mean i have to work 1 or 2 extra hours for that, no problem. But to grind on purpose for 20 hours is a no-go. Got life, you know.

#25 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostSoy, on 27 February 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Having sex?

Eating a muffin?

Did you repeat yourself?

#26 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostScreech, on 27 February 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Did you repeat yourself?

She taught me to walk this way

#27 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Figure, I really don't care about that badder... but I'm in anyway.
It's fun to shoot at robbotz, and without worring about puggy teamwork for the win....

easiest challange ever.

#28 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostSoy, on 27 February 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Do you break down the opportunity cost of taking a ****?

Having sex?

Eating a muffin?

Etc.

Yes, I want to know the enjoyment is going to be worth the time invested ;)

#29 Melon Lord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Sweet lord, I've been playing since Oct and I've never seen a more whiny bunch on official forms ever. Have to get a kill and win to get a point, complain and say you would rather them up the point count and remove the win condition. So they listen and do EXACTLY that, and people then more complain it will take too long.

Listen, it took me 45 matches to get my 25 for the Raven. In all but about 5 matches I had 1 kill and 1 assist. Unless my math is wrong as long as I play exactly the same it'll take me about 50ish games to get the Adder. If someone who's played for a few months can do it in a reasonable amount of time, those of you who have been here for years can stop complaining and do it too.

Also those comparing every single challenge to a job and calculating your $ per hour please stop. If you truely feel like PLAYING A GAME is the same as working then you're playing the wrong game, stop and find something else. Or do what you suggested, pick up 1 extra hour at work and just buy the damn mech reward.

/rant

#30 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

To be fair, at a 7 min. match average and only 50 to earn the mech it is 350 minutes, or just under 4 hours. Of course you need a kill and assist, that should be doable st least 75% of the time, so figure 5 hours out of the next 72 earns you an adder.

#31 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

It's this simple...

If you have the time and inclination to grind out for a FREE mech, have at it...

If either the Adder or the time commitment cannot be rationalized... Don't strive to obtain it, just play the game like normal.

How you folks see this as an imposition just cracks me up... :rolleyes:

#32 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostDaZur, on 27 February 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

It's this simple...
If you have the time and inclination to grind out for a FREE mech, have at it...
If either the Adder or the time commitment cannot be rationalized... Don't strive to obtain it, just play the game like normal.

How you folks see this as an imposition just cracks me up... :rolleyes:

My issue with it is simply that these massive grinding events are basically non-events for me, because I don't have time to finish. If they made events that either didn't require eight hours or that at least changed the gameplay for a weekend, then it would feel more like an event. Right now, the events are mostly just for people who spend loads of time playing MWO.

#33 omessiaho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostMelon Lord, on 27 February 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Sweet lord, I've been playing since Oct and I've never seen a more whiny bunch on official forms ever. Have to get a kill and win to get a point, complain and say you would rather them up the point count and remove the win condition. So they listen and do EXACTLY that, and people then more complain it will take too long.

/rant

What kind of form is this? I like to think its one of those where you have to sign and initial. You can focus on the minority that complain about it being a grind but that is disingenuous. Can you honestly say you don't see an increase of disconnects, bad hit reg, friendly fire and lack of teamwork during the events? The problem isn't that the events are hard, the problem is they ruin the game, even for the people that don't care about the reward.

#34 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 February 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

My issue with it is simply that these massive grinding events are basically non-events for me, because I don't have time to finish. If they made events that either didn't require eight hours or that at least changed the gameplay for a weekend, then it would feel more like an event. Right now, the events are mostly just for people who spend loads of time playing MWO.

Do you work all weekend long, I mean, literally pull a 72 hour shift or work 3 15s in row for the weekend(I've had to do that, it sucks but you get the rest of the week off!), or something else has your time spoken for all weekend long? It's about 5 hours of actual playing time, as calculated by multiple people now, and you can't get that much free time over the weekend?

Well, if that's true, that's too bad, but so freaking what? You think you are the only one? Boofreakinghoo! I work 6 days a week, I don't get 20 hours to game all week long, unless I spend all day Sunday playing MWO, which I don't get to do very often, kids and grandkids you know. I'm one of those busy execs that people like to make fun of, saying our time is so valuable, guess what, it really IS, I don't get much free time and I have a life. I'll probably spend sunday with my grandkids, only have a little time to play MWO, if I have that. Don't see ME whining like some spoiled little child, complaining that PGI is making it TOO hard to get FREE stuff that they sell for real world cash.

Pity's sake, talk about your entitled crowd, FREE STUFF FOR PLAYING A GAME THAT YOU PLAY ALREADY! Grow the eff up children.

#35 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Same boat... I don't have the time to grind out to holy hell either. As such I don't even make effort...

That said, these events should not be cake walks either... The prize and the effort to achieve it becomes trivialized which diminished the price and the event as a whole.

#36 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Agreed, massive grind events are just non-events, and as I opined, merely encourage unhealthy behavior and bad game play. PGI needs to put more thought into developing events that encourage healthy, good game play. They need to think outside the box of "earn X points over Y time to get Z prize" which is a Candy Crush mentality. There are plenty of possibilities. Whoever is designing these "challenges" has a very narrow-minded view and seemingly cannot conceive of anything beyond kiddy prizes for playing kiddy games. And that's what this challenge is: a Kewpie Doll prize rewarded for grinding out at the lowest possible denominator. "Thinking Man's Shooter"?? Not by a mile.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 27 February 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#37 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

I bet with the 3 days premium you earn the 8 million Cbills for the adder faster than getting 50 challenge points.

And then think what you can buy for that money instead of an adder.

The only true rewards from this challenge are the mechbay, the color and... that's it.

#38 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

Playing 2,5h in the evening, ~15 points. It's ok.

#39 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

It's GrindWarrior Online. Welcome. :P

This third week of grinding is slowly grating on me...

#40 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Win or lose, my 4xGauss Whale is qualifying for every round.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users