10 replies to this topic

#1 Zoolad

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Greetings fellow Mechwarriors!

My clanmates and I have been away from the game for over a year now, but we're all coming back with the news of CW and Clans etc. (King Crab and Urbanmech. Wow. None of us ever thought either of these would see the light of day in MWO).

Am I queuing into CW correctly? I've signed a contract with one of the Houses, set up my dropship within the weight limit constraints, and started looking for planets/star systems to defend... but none of the glowing ones I click seem to have many people in them. And the ones listed in the bar on the right aren't always populated either. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I supposed to just select an empty planet and wait for matchmaking to find others?

And I guess I might as well ask here:
-What is the meaning behind the glowing planets/star systems? I assumed it meant the areas are contested and needed defending/attacking, but many of them don't look populated.

Thanks in advance! We're all super excited to be back. :)

#2 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

Usually, the glowing ones are those available for attack (if listed in red on the upper right) or, defense (if listed in blue on the upper right)....those are the planets you can participate on. The game sets up 12 man attack/defense teams. At various times, the participation level can be pretty low; other times you'll see 99+ att/def on a planet.

Solo dropping can be pretty rough. I will usually check the faction page, periodically, if I'm running solo...seeing what the numbers look like between regular fights. If it looks like a planet just needs a couple folks to round out a team; I'll drop in. Most of the time if doing CW, I'll go as part of a team drop.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that the planets have multiple sectors. Sometimes you'll be dropping in on a defense and the planet has red sectors; means you have a pretty good chance of dropping in a counter-attack to get that control sector back. You can also find yourself, if attacking, holding territory (as in, defending a taken sector) from a counter attack.

Wait times on contested planets...and I mean contested with players attacking/defending can be alright; on the other hand, if your sitting on a planet by yourself...it can take a rather long time to get a match since you'll have to wait for 23 other folks to wander by.

Edited by Strykewolf, 28 February 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

There are "peak times" during which you will likely see lots of activity. This is usually 2 hours before the "cease fire" window begins.

In the mean time... On the list to the right, you will see a list of planets with activity. You want planets close to 12/12, 24/24, 36/36, etc for fast matches (as a solo player).

The contested planets are chosen by an algorithm that is currently known to be a bit buggy. Also factions have developed alliances (such as the Marik-Liao alliance) where they refuse to attack one another to keep themselves available to tackle larger threats (such as the Davions/Steiner).

This video starts from the near instant match I had (from choosing a planet with 10/12) while using a group of 2 people. (12/12 = two ready teams = instant match), so that you can get an idea of how defense worked.

I'm aware it's long, it's a full match.

#4 Zoolad

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

I see. Makes sense. Thanks! I guess it should get a lot better once I start queuing with my clanmates again. :D

Also, about joining factions.. If you commit to an indefinite contract with a House/Clan, is it still possible to switch at a later date? Or does your account become permanently bound to that House?

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostZoolad, on 28 February 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

I see. Makes sense. Thanks! I guess it should get a lot better once I start queuing with my clanmates again. :D

Also, about joining factions.. If you commit to an indefinite contract with a House/Clan, is it still possible to switch at a later date? Or does your account become permanently bound to that House?

Yes. You can change at a later date. But...

View PostKoniving, on 28 February 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

From the title, you are a member of a merc corp.

Refer your merc corp leader to come here.

To answer the questions
1) Yes.
2) Yes, and sure.

Now here are the following steps:
  • Step 1: Wait for your current contract to end.
    • Step 1-B: If you have a permanent contract, please proceed to bang your head on the wall, repeatedly. I'll wait. Trust me, you'll be doing this for a while. Especially when you see what it will cost you. Now go break the contract, and...you're banging your head against the wall again. Uh... I'll just be, um, over here... since it's gonna be 2 days minimum after you spent that those cbills before you can continue to step 2.
  • Step 2: Choose the faction you want. Sign up, and for the love of all that is holy... do not choose a permanent contract!
  • You're done!
Quick note: If you choose a Clan faction, those who do not own Clan mechs can NOT play CW with you until they get some.

Long story short... if anything said by Bryan Ekman at the MWO Launch party is to be taken as stated:
You will receive content by playing as part of each faction.
Therefore, if you lock yourself to just one faction, you lock yourself out of a lot of content.
The stated 'ultimate' content is to join Wolf's Dragoons, which requires a max loyalty rating to all the factions.

With this in mind, I fail to see any logic in permanently joining a faction.

Edited by Koniving, 28 February 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#6 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

I believe you can switch but, it's rather costly c-bill-wise. Many folks/units will stay 30 days or less just to have options open.

#7 Zoolad

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

I see I see. Okay, I guess we all dodged bullets there then. :D Thanks XD

Edit: Wait, hold on. You can join the Wolf's Dragoons after maxing all the existing Clans/Houses?

Edited by Zoolad, 28 February 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#8 Heuvadoches

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRainbow Tiger, Second Life

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

They forgot to tell you that CW stands for "Community Waitfare"

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostZoolad, on 28 February 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Edit: Wait, hold on. You can join the Wolf's Dragoons after maxing all the existing Clans/Houses?

7:50-ish is when factions become a topic.
Lots of content said to be coming still has yet to show, though.

Community Waitfare

If you don't pay attention to the numbers, that's exactly what it is.

#10 Sayyid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Not everyone wants to be a Wolf Dragoon, or also known as traitors to everyone, merc scum, clan rejects.

And I dont think that has been confirmed by anyone that that is an actual thing.

What if we want to be part of the Outer Worlds Alliance, or the Magistery of Canopus, Lindens Company, Hansons Rough Riders, or the Waco Rangers?

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

Going back to the planets population part above: most planets end up vacant with all the action limited to about 3 planets per faction.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users