Pgi, Why I, Bishop Steiner, And My Uber Important Wallet, Won't Be Buying The Gladiator Pack For Wave Iii

434 replies to this topic

#41 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostWiley Coyote, on 01 March 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

Sorry, missed that part as I skimmed the post like I do my work emails and the TL;DR didn't mention that. :P

It's all good. Maybe I need one huge master post titled "Bishop's Insanely Awesome Grand Plan to Restore Balance to the Force.....er, MWO" with links to all sorts of groovy satellite posts.....

I'm sure it would be a NY Times best seller.... ;)

#42 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

yup i've not bought and won't i'll grind C-bills and like you i have maxed every package so far, my reasoning are so what different to your reasoning Bish, but what your saying is from my point of view another good reason to justify, not touching anymore pre sales with someone elses barge pole

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

I'd also consider it my Executioner could carry 2x Gauss, 2x ER Large Lasers and 4x MPL like Vlad Ward's did..........

#44 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

I'm not buying another mech pack until one comes with the Hatamoto. Nothing against PGI, I'm just not interested in grabbing a bunch of mechs unless it contributes to building out my Combine Hangar.

I got my Panther(lubz it!), got my Dragon(a walking buzz-saw), I got Wolverines-Ks(straight gun-slingerz)...gonna get an Atlas-K(don't try to talk me out of it)mand eventually Firestarters, Jenners and Spiders in due time...so really, what can they offer me other than my beloved Hatamoto?

Wait, I have to take that back. The Mech Pack for me would be the Flea(ok, it's not a Combine chassis), Wolf Trap (or maybe the Gladiator or Komodo) Grand-Dragon and the Mauler...with the Hatamoto as a bonus mech for buying the full pack.

Other than the above pack, any mech purchases on my radar are already in the store.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 01 March 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

I'm not buying another mech pack until one comes with the Hatamoto. Nothing against PGI, I'm just not interested in grabbing a bunch of mechs unless it contributes to building out my Combine Hangar.

I got my Panther(lubz it!), got my Dragon(a walking buzz-saw), I got Wolverines-Ks(straight gun-slingerz)...gonna get an Atlas-K(don't try to talk me out of it)mand eventually Firestarters, Jenners and Spiders in due time...so really, what can they offer me other than my beloved Hatamoto?

Wait, I have to take that back. The Mech Pack for me would be the Flea(ok, it's not a Combine chassis), Wolf Trap (or maybe the Gladiator or Komodo) Grand-Dragon and the Mauler...with the Hatamoto as a bonus mech for buying the full pack.

Other than the above pack, any mech purchases on my radar are already in the store.

Also the Combine favors Hunchbacks, and don't forget the Venom. Possibly the Daikyu?

#46 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

View PostAlexandrix, on 01 March 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

You can thank the poptarts.
Well,that and pgi's asinine way of "balancing" things.
reticle shake should persist thru out the jump.jj'ing in a mech is supposed to be a sudden and violent affair.not this lightly hovering thru the air on a summer breeze garbage.

Make reticle shake persist thru the jump,and make jump jets actual jump jets,not hover jets.make them slam you back in your seat and quickly propel your mech up/forward.

There,no poptarting AND useful jj's.

had nothing to do with the people poptarting and everything to do with yet again more pgi crap game mechanics, and of course they went and WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY over nerfed JJ instead of incremental changes

#47 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostAugustus Martelus II, on 01 March 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

Wait....what did they do to the Gargoyle? :(

They took away the super glowy effect!

Posted Image

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostOzealot, on 01 March 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Not even a Dire Wolf can use this loadout with reasonable heat efficiency. And that thing is dubbed "Whale" for a reason. But you want it on a temporary 90kph fast Clan Assault Omni?

You are intending to switch your faction to Clan in the near future or wat?

Hey, if it's good enough for Vlad Ward, why wouldn't it be good enough for me? That is a completely Canon loadout.

#49 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Also the Combine favors Hunchbacks, and don't forget the Venom. Possibly the Daikyu?

I got Hunchbacks, I'm open to the Venom for sure...the Daikyu is a bit fugly, but I'd roll it if they got it!

#50 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

I sure so wish we had "Jump Jets."

You know, those things which propel you into the air at crazy speed, and then you kick them in again just before you land to make the landing much softer.

This Back to the Future hoverboard thing is most... unsettling.

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostBrody319, on 01 March 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Velocity downward. JJs have to counter that downward velocity with a force greater than your downward pull.

physics.

when you are at rest all the JJs have to do is overcome the force of gravity.

Which one might add... that the force of gravity in MWO is after several tests:
Approximately between 29 to 32 meters/sec.
Earth's gravity is 9.807 meters/sec.
The stated gravities of the different maps are: (where 1 represent's Earth's gravity)
HPG: 1.2
Alpine Peaks: 1.1
Mining Collective: 1.0
Canyon Network: 0.9
Caustic Valley: 1.2
Forest Colony: 0.8
Frozen City: 0.9
River City: 1.0 (which is impressive considering it's a moon. Look in the sky to that big planet!)
Tourmaline Desert: 0.9
Viridian Bog: 1.0
Crimson Strait: 1.1
Terra Therma: 1.1
Boreal Vault: 0.9
Hellebore Springs: 1.2
Sulfurous Rift: 1.0

The true gravity factor on all maps?
Best case:
1 : 9.807 = 2.9570714795554 : 29
2.957 times the Earth's gravity.

Worst case:
1 : 9.807 = 3.2629754257163 : 32
3.263 times the Earth's gravity.

It's kinda why fall damage had to be adjusted multiple times. And why poptarts don't have that physics reaction you'd expect, where a heavy object full of resistance to motion would resist the downward pull while the inertia dissipated, hover in the air after the lift is gone, and then slowly begin to accelerate "Past the window, downward." (Monty Python reference), giving you a nice fair window to shoot an enemy poptarter down.

The reason for this, as given by Sean Lang in the past: "It didn't feel right to fall so slowly." Well, that's because this isn't a human-sized first person shooter, the Victor in MWO is over 15 meters tall!.

That's taller than the largest tank ever built. (1914, Russia)

Posted Image
Each wheel is only 9 meters tall. The tank itself according to specifications is 12 meters wide.

The heaviest tank ever created, 188 tons, is only 10.2 meters in length.
Posted Image

The point I'm making, is if you ever saw something large and heavy fall after it defied gravity by rocket or somesuch, even if it only made it to 20 meters it will take about a second to three to lose all inertia and shift downward, and for 20 meters slightly over 2 more seconds to hit the ground.

Even a box of 6 gallons of bleach will do the mid-air stop when hurled almost directly upward and allowed to fall as the upward inertia is removed and the downward inertia begins.

(Bringing me to the second point, pop tarts wouldn't be a problem if we had a nominal level of gravity).

Edited by Koniving, 01 March 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#52 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Is GTA 5 a fun game? I'm thinking about getting it on steam.

#53 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

*yawn*

your lost puppies issues are a little disturbing. Just sayin.

#54 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Easy Jumpjet fix that I have been advocating -

Increase jumpjets thrust about +300% (Faster lift, more height)

Cut jump jet burn time by half. (Half the fuel to jump)

Add 100% recharge time to jumpjets. (So it takes twice as long to recharge jumpjets)

Make it so that you can't fire your jumpjets until you have a 100% jet charge.

More jets = more thrust, quicker recharge, more burn time.
6 Jets = Fire jumpjets at 50% fuel charge.
12 jets = fire jumpjets at 25% fuel charge.

Problem solved.

What does this mean?

No more bunny hopping up hills. No more good year blimps floating through the sky. With the increase to jumpjets velocity it will be harder to jump snipe due to the speed and able to do it less frequently.

Fights between jumpjet mechs and non jumpjet mechs will be a lot more equal. With the jumpjet mech only able to activate their ability once every 10-12 seconds the emphasis will be on using those jumpjets for a tactical advantage rather than short bunnyhops to facilitate turns. Because of the increased speed and thrust of the jumpjets those jumps will be a lot more pronounced and have more impact.

instead of good year blimping trying to get away from an enemy, slowly...slowly....slowly rising trying to make the ledge, all the while being shot in the back. You will bounce up and over allowing you to get out of the line of fire quicker. Trade off is you are unable to jet as frequently.

meaning. Exercise judgement on when to use jets and when not to gain an advantage. Instead of going all willy nilly everywhere. Don't get me wrong, mechs like the spider and other renown jumpjet capable mechs can indeed go all willy nilly.

As they should, if you pay the tonnage for the jets.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 01 March 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

Easy Jumpjet fix that I have been advocating -

Increase jumpjets thrust about +300% (Faster lift, more height)

Cut jump jet burn time by half. (Half the fuel to jump)

Add 100% recharge time to jumpjets. (So it takes twice as long to recharge jumpjets)

Make it so that you can't fire your jumpjets until you have a 100% jet charge.

More jets = more thrust, quicker recharge, more burn time.
6 Jets = Fire jumpjets at 50% fuel charge.
12 jets = fire jumpjets at 25% fuel charge.

Problem solved.

What does this mean?

No more bunny hopping up hills. No more good year blimps floating through the sky. With the increase to jumpjets velocity it will be harder to jump snipe due to the speed and able to do it less frequently.

Fights between jumpjet mechs and non jumpjet mechs will be a lot more equal. With the jumpjet mech only able to activate their ability once every 10-12 seconds the emphasis will be on using those jumpjets for a tactical advantage rather than short bunnyhops to facilitate turns. Because of the increased speed and thrust of the jumpjets those jumps will be a lot more pronounced and have more impact.

instead of good year blimping trying to get away from an enemy, slowly...slowly....slowly rising trying to make the ledge, all the while being shot in the back. You will bounce up and over allowing you to get out of the line of fire quicker. Trade off is you are unable to jet as frequently.

meaning. Exercise judgement on when to use jets and when not to gain an advantage. Instead of going all willy nilly everywhere. Don't get me wrong, mechs like the spider and other renown jumpjet capable mechs can indeed go all willy nilly.

As they should, if you pay the tonnage for the jets.

and also most mobile Lights and Mediums get hugely nerfed mobility use from their JJs. Because a small boost to get over a hill should keep me from a second one if I need to salmon ladder, but still have juice in the bottle?

Gotta pass.

View PostOzealot, on 01 March 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

So

So you are saying IS - Clan balance are "lost puppies issues"? That's kind of enlightening to me. Even more surprising since your usual argumentation says otherwise.

But maybe you want a "like", as usual? I can "like" your post if you want. Just say the word.

oh look...still here? Waiting for a pat on the head? Some approval or validation? How cute.

#56 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

As far as I am concerned, I think he will buy the pack whatever he's saying here.

I have to concur on the GAR, though, it could be a bit more agile.

To the JJ topic? I'm not so sure about that. The most glaring point for me was the 2 ton investement for little/no return. The Highlander can, in theory, turn a bit faster than your standard assault. If that's worth 2 tons per jet, tho? I don't think so but I'm also not sure what OP expects of JJ's.

#57 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

If it was up to me, jumpjets would thrust straight upwards if no movement keys were pressed, and it would go whatever direction the mech is facing instead of the weird "only go the direction first triggered" like it does now. It would make them more useful and fun.

Edited by August55, 01 March 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 01 March 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

As far as I am concerned, I think he will buy the pack whatever he's saying here.

I have to concur on the GAR, though, it could be a bit more agile.

To the JJ topic? I'm not so sure about that. The most glaring point for me was the 2 ton investement for little/no return. The Highlander can, in theory, turn a bit faster than your standard assault. If that's worth 2 tons per jet, tho? I don't think so but I'm also not sure what OP expects of JJ's.

being useful for their investment, and not super slow hoverjets that serve little purpose? Don't think I'm being unrealistic.

As for the pack, unless you know someone who is gifting it to me, well, believe what you will, but you would be wrong.

#59 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

JJs are in serious need of help. Poptarting fears aside, they are pretty much useless in their current state.

Frankly, I'd rather have to deal with poptarters than run the current JJs. I miss the fun mobility I had as a brawler. I also miss playing whack-a-mole with those poptarters; that was an easy way to score a kill! I never could understand why folks had so much trouble dealing with them...

*Sigh* JJs...RIP...

#60 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 01 March 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

JJs are in serious need of help. Poptarting fears aside, they are pretty much useless in their current state.

Frankly, I'd rather have to deal with poptarters than run the current JJs. I miss the fun mobility I had as a brawler. I also miss playing whack-a-mole with those poptarters; that was an easy way to score a kill! I never could understand why folks had so much trouble dealing with them...

*Sigh* JJs...RIP...

HArd to deal with, and actually "fun and interesting" are two very different concepts. Also, I seemed to have the inordinate misfortune of running into SJR and LORDs 12 mans on a far too regular basis. So it seems like my choice was be surrounded by a bunch of Wannabes running poptarts in stand still matches til I got bored enough to push around and wreak some havoc, or get steamrolled by the 2 top 12 mans in the game. Which to take nothing away from those 12 mans..but would have been a little more fun if most players here didn't wet their panties and give up anytime they see those TAGs on the other team. Don't matter how good or bad I am, when within 2 minutes it was usually me vs 8-12 of them?

Yeah, not the most fun way to play the game, for me. (remember most of this was before we had a true solo queue, too.) :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users